Completely New to Daz studio

JoolseyJoolsey Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Hello I'm new to Daz, but I have used other standalone 3d programmes in the past. Sorry for the newbee questions, but I have to get started because some basic procedures are very frustrating.

I thought I would collect all my questions in one thread.

I'm hoping to get past the 'Bald Cutie' level. What I mean is actually buying Victoria 4.3, and trying to cloth her, with hair, walk and pose. Keeping her 'Party dress V4' on when I apply the walk animation. Are there any simple steps to keep her cloths on, by default?

I have seen that there is a 'cloths dynamics' plug in on the website, but I was wondering if cloths can stay on by default in Victoria 4.3 with party dress?

I have spent a resonable amount of money on the character and I would like to see someting rewarding, soon, so that I don't get bored with this.

Best regards

jools

Comments

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Clothes need to be 'fitted' to the character you want them on. Once that's done, they will move with the character, matching their bends and so on. To do this, select the outfit in the scene tab and then right click it in the viewport choosing 'Fit to' and then select Victoria 4. If you have any poke-out issues, then you can try a smoothing modifier. To add this, go back to the scene tab and select the dress. From here, look for an options icon in the scene panel (Looks like a 'play' button and some lines) and click on it. Choose Edit -> Geometry - Add Smoothing Modifier. The collision model will be set to Victoria 4 by default, but you can change the settings as necessary in the parameters panel.

Dynamic cloth is basically animated clothing which will move in a more realistic manner. As my description implies, this works best when you either use it in an animation, or as part of an animation to create a still frame. Dynamic clothing uses the Optitex plugin, a free version of which comes with Daz Studio but is lacking a huge number of features of the full version. It's enough to use existing outfits, but you won't be able to change any of the cloth dynamics as you can with the full paid plugin.

Dynamic clothing doesn't generally 'fit' to figures in the same way as conforming clothing and is instead calculated each frame to move with the figure. You can still get some pokethrough issues though, so it sometimes pays to add extra (invisible) layers to your figure to act as a collision surface.

• JoolseyJoolsey Posts: 0
    edited June 2013

Ok thnks for the reply,

I have selected the outfit. On right click I get a some options like select surface cloth, bit no 'fit to' option?

Post edited by Joolsey on
  • JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Are you selecting the clothing item in the Viewport as shown below, and using Right Click with the mouse?

Untitled-1.jpg
    1044 x 726 - 281K
    edited June 2013

I did manage to make it fit through Parameter, then finding the option in the search.

Your interface looks completely differnt to mine. When I right click I get completely different options?

screen_copy.jpg
    1908 x 1047 - 621K
  • FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,418
    edited December 1969

You will probably find this new user area of the forums quite helpful. Plenty of information and guidance available there.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/categories/97/

edited December 1969

You are using the Surface Selection Tool, which can be useful, but it is usual to use the Translate tool (Alt + Shift + T) or select it from the Tools menu, then you will see the options that I have shown.

edited June 2013

Great thank you. Alt Shift T worked well.

I tried to fit the hair as well with some unpredictable results. Is fitting hair done in the same way?

Jools

screen_copy.jpg
    315 x 312 - 78K
  • Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Great thank you. Alt Shift T worked well.

I tried to fit the hair as well with some unpredictable results. Is fitting hair done in the same way?

Jools

You should be able to autofit the hair in the same way. Usually hair will autofit nicely, but there are times when it's less than cooperative. In times like those, you might benefit from manually moving the hair onto the head and then, in the scene tab, dragging and dropping the hair onto the 'head' bone of the figure. This will parent the hair to the head, so that it moves with it. If it moves after doing this, you'll need to right-click and choose 'change parent' and ensure the 'parent in place' option is checked.
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,215
    edited December 1969

That depends on the hair -some, mostly longer hair, will be a figure and will need to be fitted while other pieces, especially shorter styles, will simply be props and will need to be parented - with luck, if you have the figure selected when you load the hair, it will come in parented but if not there's a Change parent command in the right click menu (you would want to parent it to the figure's head) or you can drag and drop in the Scene pane.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

with luck, if you have the figure selected when you load the hair, it will come in parented

I've found the best way to have less luck and more reliability is to drag the hair (also should work with most clothes) from the content tab onto the figure in the Viewport. Try to avoid dropping the pointer on top of any clothes or props already loaded, and the new item should come in properly attached to your figure.
    edited December 1969

Ok thank you guys for your help. I used a different hair. And it just worked....not sure why.

I almost have a normal looking girl.

edited December 1969

I have progressed better than I thought.

I have managed to parent the shoes to her feet, and make her walk, but as you can see the cloths and shoes intersect the figure. The toes pop out and the dress intersects the leg.

I tried the smooth modifiy but I don't think it worked

clothed.jpg
    528 x 714 - 178K
    edited June 2013

In the case of dresses, there are usually morphs supplied with them to correct things like legs intersecting the dress, and in the case of shoes, there may also be fit morphs for them.

SSelect the dress in the Scene pane, then go to the Parameters pane, and look for sliders to correct the fit of the dress. For shoes, which are probably in Poser Format, go to Poser Format > My Library > Pose, and look for any fit files for your character. There may be something in the Parameters pane for shoes as well, so check there too, make sure you select the shoes first in the Scene pane.

Post edited by JimmyC_2009 on
    edited June 2013

My Library? Is this the same as Content Library? I'm so new to this I'm just getting to grips with the layout of Daz..

Hi have "Platform Pumps by Idler". And I am trying to fit these.

And the dress is called 'Party dress V4.

Will these have fit morphs?

edited December 1969

If you look on this page in the store : http://www.daz3d.com/party-dress you will find a list of the morphs taht are available.

You must have loaded the Part Dress from Poser Formats anyway, just look for Pose in the same place, for some of the poses for it. Select the dress, and look in the Parameters pane for the sliders.

edited December 1969

If you look on this page in the store : http://www.daz3d.com/party-dress you will find a list of the morphs taht are available.

You must have loaded the Part Dress from Poser Formats anyway, just look for Pose in the same place, for some of the poses for it. Select the dress, and look in the Parameters pane for the sliders.

I can see that there are poses, but i will this make the girl walk or animate without the shoes or cloths intersecting?

I think the trouble is that I can't interprit what you mean, because I don't know what it looks like in the interface.

Is there is a tutorial that deals with making a figure walk but making the clothing continue with the figure?

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I can see that there are poses, but i will this make the girl walk or animate without the shoes or cloths intersecting?

I think the trouble is that I can't interprit what you mean, because I don't know what it looks like in the interface.

Is there is a tutorial that deals with making a figure walk but making the clothing continue with the figure?There is no easy way, you must go back and Animate the dress to match the figures animation. That is one reason few DAZ3D users animate dresses on figures.

edited June 2013

Ah ok so you key frame the dress so that it won't intersect the leg? That's kind of tricky.

I think I need to see a few beginner videos, just to know what I'm looking at. As it is hard at first to find my way around the software.

But thanks for all your help.

I am also looking at this mesh smoothing modifier, as suggested. Looks quite memory intensive.