Help needed on how to Simulated Roll-up Doors (C8.1P)

Turk_WLFTurk_WLF Posts: 177
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I’m trying to model a Roll-up Door like those on Fire Trucks but I haven’t figured out got simulate the grooves of the hinges on the cube/door?

I have tried wires, Bricks & a T-map in the Bump channel in the shader & I have also tried the Displacement. None of them have given the clean crisp look that I want. I do have Anything Grooves but I have forgotten how to use it.

The Link below shows real world examples of what I'm after
http://www.doverrollershutters.com/products/commercial-vehicle-doors/nyloy-30-roller-shutter.php

Thanks,

Comments

• Design AcrobatDesign Acrobat Posts: 459
    edited June 2013

I just used a couple of cubes and the Bend modifier on one of the cubes

Just posted the animation on Youtube, hopefully it will be finished by the time I post this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eOZ3WyE8Pk

Shape your cubes, one bigger than the other, Shutter Housing (bigger)
    and

Roller Shutter (smaller and thinner where it tightly fits inside the Shutter housing.

Start a Frame 0, hit the go to end of frames button (mine was at 4 seconds) and add the bend modifier with limits at 11 to 100 and
    270 for the final bend.

You may have to set a couple of frames in the middle of the animation to get the height of the shutter to keep look likes its rolling. (or just cover it up with a panel).

I also provided a screen shot of the specifics.

Definitely needs tweaking, adjusting and styling, this was just a quick play.

I based the roller shutter action on some real life roller shutters that have a couple of drum rollers that wind the shutters upwards then down into the housing.

Heh for some reason I was thinking you needed an animation.

Must sleep...

roller_door_tut.jpg
    688 x 464 - 84K
    Post edited by Design Acrobat on
  • Design AcrobatDesign Acrobat Posts: 459
    edited December 1969

Here's a close up.

If this is the same style, what part are you having problems modeling?

roller_shutter_close_up.jpg
    800 x 753 - 85K
  • JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited December 1969

Sounds like maybe his challenge is just the grooves between the plates that make up the door........where the hinges are between panels.

There's a couple things to consider here...one is that the real doors are made of panels with kinda rounded edges, plus grooves in between the panels. So if you want to get at all close to the truck you'll probably want to model that. It makes it interesting, and you'll get nice highlights off the edges of the panels. And it's REAL quick and easy to do. You won't get all that with just a shader.

One thing you might try is to draw out a line, which is a cross section of a panel plus groove. Then extrude that to make a complete panel plus groove. Then duplicate and weld until you've got it. Or if you're gonna animate, don't weld the panels and just put some bones in or whatever.

The first image shows some panels I generated in Hex using a line to first draw the cross section (making sure to include some nice rounded edge details), then extruded that to make a panel, then duplicated.

Next shows a completed panel, and next shows a closeup of some of the edge highlights.

RollupDoor_002J.jpg
    1000 x 573 - 104K
    RollupDoor_001J.jpg
    1000 x 573 - 121K
    rollupDoor.JPG
    1396 x 876 - 83K
  • JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited December 1969

Oh, and I forgot to mention...

A challenge here will come in rendering. You need to make sure your object and shadow accuracy (in the Render settings) are fine enough so the individual grooves will show up cleanly. Especially if it's a long shot.