SSS shader won't tile Normal and Displacement maps

IceEmpressIceEmpress Posts: 639
edited June 2013 in Daz Studio Discussion

That severely limits its current usefulness outside of model-specific textures and general-shader texture-free presets...
Uh, I'm using DAZ 4.5 if it matters (I REFUSE to upgrade until they fix the bugs. 4.5 is already buggy enough, I'm not switching to a version that's 20x worse...).
Has anyone else encountered this problem? (I apologize if this has been covered somewhere before)

Post edited by IceEmpress on

Comments

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

God I thought this was fixed back in DS4.0 but I haven't tiled anything for ages now.

• ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited December 1969

Hmm, OT question: are normal maps meant to be tileable in the first place?

edited December 1969

Yeah I was mainly refering to the tiling of displacement maps. But I think you are correct the normal maps went ever tilable, but again they could be now I just don't know and cannot check myself.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,863
    edited June 2013

How tiling is handled is down to the shader code - according to the SSS manual

Tiling allows the image maps used in the shader to be replicated across the surface to create repeating
    patterns. This affects all texture map channels except for the normal map.

so displacement should be tiling. Just checked and, in 4.6 at least, tiling is working on displacement.
    Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited December 1969

Thank you Richard for confirming that.

• IceEmpressIceEmpress Posts: 639
    edited December 1969

Damn. Guess I can't use Yughues's/Nobiax's textures with the SSS, then.
    At least the UbS tiles them.

• KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited December 1969

Can't you add a tiling option to normal maps then? I tought it was possible to add that functionality in Shader Mixer.

edited December 1969

So I can create my own custom brick or mixer of the SSS with Normalmap tiling? ANd an anisotropic option? (I haven't figured out how to use it yet-- I need to find a ShaderMixer and Brickyard guide for dummies that spoonfeeds everything to me, esp. on how to add things to the primary node without the display going all wonky and poking off the window beyond visual area....)

edited December 1969

How do I add a new map type to the main input without the input window looking like crap, with entries going outside the window to the sides and everything getting all random and jumbled? I'm a complete beginner to this-- though I found a good, long, in-depth tutorial for Shader Builder/Mixer over at Artzone that I'm currently compiling into a Word doc for personal printing (I like the font at 8 for fewer pages).

edited June 2013

Wait, so how do I connect the tiling node/F to the Normalmap node? It won't let me connect F to anything on the Normalmap node... Can someone give me a step-by-step walk through on how to do this, because I have no clue whatsoever on Renderman code (and no, a guidebook won't help. There's too many letters/numbers jumping out at me for me to be able to think straight)

Also, is there any way to add an entire anisotropic node set to the SSS shader?

Also, why can't I open the UbS in Shadermixer? I wanted to look at that to see how the Normalmap and Anisotropic nodes were set up, but it wouldn't let me!

And why can't I open two shaders at once in ShaderMixer so I can compare them?

Post edited by IceEmpress on
  • millighostmillighost Posts: 261
    edited December 1969

opal42987 said:
    Wait, so how do I connect the tiling node/F to the Normalmap node? It won't let me connect F to anything on the Normalmap node... Can someone give me a step-by-step walk through on how to do this, because I have no clue whatsoever on Renderman code (and no, a guidebook won't help. There's too many letters/numbers jumping out at me for me to be able to think straight)

Use the menu in the node's upper right corner to enable "show advanced". Then connect the tiler's output to the s and t inputs.

Also, is there any way to add an entire anisotropic node set to the SSS shader?

You can open an additional material in shader mixer, and use cut'n paste to copy nodes from one to another.

Also, why can't I open the UbS in Shadermixer? I wanted to look at that to see how the Normalmap and Anisotropic nodes were set up, but it wouldn't let me!

Probably Ubs is not a shader mixer material. Like a lot of the shaders that come with Daz Studio.

And why can't I open two shaders at once in ShaderMixer so I can compare them?
    You can open multiple shaders, just not in a way that you can see them at the same time. Sometimes cut and paste helps, but for large shaders it gets always a bit difficult.