Wacky Modelling ~ In Carrara ~

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

pipes are kewl.

antman was in pipes on a raft of ants.

wonder the new motion path plugin take a target hellper on a ride through pipes?

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,820
    edited June 2019

did a couple more wacky models...

slinky and hamm ,..... our 17 month old grandson is being spellbound watching the original Toy Story Movie.. he hasn't budged an inch  laugh

Slinky and Hamm.png
    640 x 480 - 166K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • Soon you'll be doing your own ToyStory movie/picture/film (take your pick)

diggger the dog!!heart

the greatest thing about carrara modeling is "add thickness"

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,086
    Selinita said:

Soon you'll be doing your own ToyStory movie/picture/film (take your pick)

Dave needs to extend his attention span and make some animations.  Would be super-awesome-ific!!!!!!!

not much happening at the moment...

waiting patiently for the arrival of another grandchild ( due now ) 

once it all happens me and the long suffering wife will be doing a road trip of around 900km to get there to see him/her ( leaning towards a him ) so won't be around for a while... i s that the phone.... 

false alarm.... sheeeesh!

• Hope it all goes well !

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,923

Future babysitting gigs on the way then?

Yay, all the best for your grandchild!!!!  ...and for you and your better half, and your child and the in-law, but... mostly for the grandchild.  Yay.  Safe travels.  We'll keep the Carrara light on in the forums while you are on the road.

• de3ande3an Posts: 915

Haven't posted for a while. Been working on this one for some time. Harder than it first seemed (especially the rigging and weight painting, which isn't all that great).

Since I did Bender some time ago, I thought I try another of the Futurama characters. This is Roberto. (He's crazy)

Most excellent, de3an!  You probably know this, but for any newer readers, you can combine parent/constraints for the robotic joints with skeleton/skinned weightpainting of the hose-like limbs.  That has reduced some frustration when I've tried create some of my critters.

Most excellent, de3an!  You probably know this, but for any newer readers, you can combine parent/constraints for the robotic joints with skeleton/skinned weightpainting of the hose-like limbs.  That has reduced some frustration when I've tried create some of my critters.

Thanks Diomede!

I'm not sure if I'm doing what you described as "combine(ing) parent/constraints for the robotic joints with skeleton/skinned weightpainting of the hose-like limbs."

I'm definitely using both methods of physically moving some individual parts (objects), and rigging others (such as the legs and arms) for posing.

But unlike organic creatures that generally have one unified mesh for the entire figure, the robot is made up of many separate mechanical hierarchies and ends up having separate rigging that isn't connected to each other. Additionally, the physical mechanical hierarchies end up being separate from their rigging (bone) hierarchies, and that ends up being messy and confusing to look at. (see the attached image).

On top of all of that, there's the problem that hand drawn cartoon characters often defy the laws of physics, and can require extreme flexibility. So most of my rigging has no constraints set. This allows parts to be moved in unexpected ways, but makes posing more tedious. Such as placing the fingers anywhere on the surface of the hands (which are spheres) by positioning the finger base bones. I need to be sure that I save an unaltered T-pose version of the character, or else I'd never be able to get back to the starting point.

Is there a better approach to this?

If you'd like to have a look, I've uploaded the Carrara file for anyone who wants to play around with it.

Roberto rigging-annotated.png
    5120 x 3442 - 2M
    zip
    zip
    Roberto.zip

awesome work @de3an 

good to see different ways of boning a robot...

Future babysitting gigs on the way then?

been doing that for nine years now .. it just increases  lol

thanks selina and ted.. still no movement at the station... but can't be far off! progress has been great for the duration just needs a bit of encouragement for the final lap.. 

anytime now.

edited July 2019

whilst waiting...... cool

Bubs.png
    640 x 480 - 275K
    Post edited by Stezza on
    de3an said:

Thanks Diomede!

I'm not sure if I'm doing what you described as "combine(ing) parent/constraints for the robotic joints with skeleton/skinned weightpainting of the hose-like limbs."

I'm definitely using both methods of physically moving some individual parts (objects), and rigging others (such as the legs and arms) for posing.

But unlike organic creatures that generally have one unified mesh for the entire figure, the robot is made up of many separate mechanical hierarchies and ends up having separate rigging that isn't connected to each other. Additionally, the physical mechanical hierarchies end up being separate from their rigging (bone) hierarchies, and that ends up being messy and confusing to look at. (see the attached image).

On top of all of that, there's the problem that hand drawn cartoon characters often defy the laws of physics, and can require extreme flexibility. So most of my rigging has no constraints set. This allows parts to be moved in unexpected ways, but makes posing more tedious. Such as placing the fingers anywhere on the surface of the hands (which are spheres) by positioning the finger base bones. I need to be sure that I save an unaltered T-pose version of the character, or else I'd never be able to get back to the starting point.

Is there a better approach to this?

If you'd like to have a look, I've uploaded the Carrara file for anyone who wants to play around with it.

had a play around with Roberto.... reboned and weight painted him...

didn't do the fingers or door though.

but another example of doing it .. fun stuff this smiley

after posing him just select his chest and then 'Animation/Send bones to reference' to zero the pose... it should work.. surprise

Roberto reboned2.png
    640 x 480 - 69K
    Roberto reboned.png
    640 x 480 - 120K
    zip
    zip
    Roberto ReBoned.zip

had a play around with Roberto.... reboned and weight painted him...

didn't do the fingers or door though.

but another example of doing it .. fun stuff this smiley

after posing him just select his chest and then 'Animation/Send bones to reference' to zero the pose... it should work.. surprise

Thanks Stezza,

Your rigging is certainly more organized than mine, and if I was starting over I might try to use this method. (Too much time spent weight painting would be lost by changing to a different rig at this point.) And I now see that using a single skeleton rig has the advantage of being able to utilize the "Send bones to reference position" function.

There are some unintended consequences with this rig however. The eyes and eyelids can't be moved to change expressions. In my version I excluded the head from the rigging hierarchy to retain the ability to rotate the eye and eyelid objects manually. Perhaps this could be overcome by adding bones to control them, but I think that would require a lot of extra weight painting to get it right.

Also, something odd happened to the head components when they were added to the rigging. The eyes and mouth/teeth are now askew in relation to the head/face. The skeleton rigging would have to be detached to fix this, unfortunately losing all of the weight painting in the process.

At any rate, you've given me more options to consider when doing my next project (what ever that might be).

Here's another pose using my original rigging, and one of your creations, showing a different facial expression.

same can be excluded from this structure... morphs can be added ect... I only spent at most 30 - 45 minutes on the reboning and weightpainting but with extra time a lot more can be done.

the weight painting was the most quickest I had done which was a surprise surprise

may have another crack when I get back home ... the road trip begins wink

TOYS!

etch a sketch smile is upside down

weebils wobble but they don't fall down, 

rock em sock em

edited July 2019
    3d paint.JPG
    1013 x 680 - 54K
    Post edited by Mistara on
    edited July 2019
    Mystarra said:

TOYS!

etch a sketch smile is upside down

smiley  that's not an etch a sketch it's Blackboard from Mr Squiggle, an Aussie TV show for kids from the 60's cool he would always be muttering 'Hurry Up' laugh

Binging images of Mr Squiggle with Blackboard

Post edited by Stezza on
    edited July 2019
    Mystarra said:

I loaded one of my ghosts into 3d paint for win10 ... took a long time to load up, but it did eventually

ghost in 3dpaint.jpg
    1198 x 932 - 77K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,927

wow Stezza, you have amazing talent 

edited July 2019

thankyou @Headwax_Carrara very nice of you to post that smiley

was doing some more wacky modeling today and it just kept on going....

it started with me modeling a roadside restroom which is scattered every 5 - 10km along our country highways which then got me thinking about the old outhouse we used to have back in the day before sewerage came along... which then got me thinking about ripening pumpkins, kidney steppingstones and garden taps... I then had to stop thinking!

wacky stuff hey!... so here is my wacky outhouse for you all to use and improve on with texturing or what ever... enjoy

It may sound absurd
    But don't be naive
    Even heroes have the right to pee.
    I may be disturbed
    But won't you concede
    Even heroes have the right to dream
    And it's not easy to be me.

Outside Loo.png
    800 x 600 - 348K
    Outside Loo2.png
    800 x 600 - 367K
    zip
    zip
    Outside Loo.zip
    Post edited by Stezza on
    edited July 2019

Here is the image for the songbird contest with the wacky roadside reststop I modeled the other day which then got me thinking....... eeek!

Oblivious at the Rest Area.jpg
    1500 x 900 - 935K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Beautiful vintage car is here!

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945

thankyou @Headwax_Carrara very nice of you to post that smiley

was doing some more wacky modeling today and it just kept on going....

it started with me modeling a roadside restroom which is scattered every 5 - 10km along our country highways which then got me thinking about the old outhouse we used to have back in the day before sewerage came along... which then got me thinking about ripening pumpkins, kidney steppingstones and garden taps... I then had to stop thinking!

wacky stuff hey!... so here is my wacky outhouse for you all to use and improve on with texturing or what ever... enjoy

It may sound absurd
    But don't be naive
    Even heroes have the right to pee.
    I may be disturbed
    But won't you concede
    Even heroes have the right to dream
    And it's not easy to be me.

Ha Ha Dave, this one is far better than mine!

http://www.bond3d.byethost18.com/index.php?topic=378.msg2172#msg2172

edited July 2019

lol.. thanks for the compliment @Dudu smiley

love your animations yes

have been reading the bus stop thread in the Commons about the amount of bus stops but no busses..

ok... I thought about it yesterday and thought that's a good challenge... a wacky bus... it's only a cube basically... so I started a wacky one yesterday and got this far cool

I'll do some more on it today.. the interior is the hardest part! 

BusWiP.png
    1147 x 521 - 167K
    Bus.png
    800 x 600 - 192K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,923

oooh bus shaping up nicely

edited July 2019

tried a bit of texturing on the wacky bus today.....  cool

must do a set of wipers for it surprise

BusWiP2.png
    800 x 600 - 282K
    Post edited by Stezza on
    edited July 2019

some wipers added and more texturing .... I'm not going to attempt the interior...!
    it's got morphing opening doors though wink

that might be it for now... do you think it's passable?  ... I may bag it up and post it later after a few render tests yes

BusWiP3.png
    800 x 600 - 265K
    Post edited by Stezza on
This discussion has been closed.