D-Force Clothes as Regular Clothes

TynkereTynkere Posts: 834
edited December 2018 in New Users

Hi Everyone,

These are my first "d-Force" outfits, so I hope everyone will be patient.

What's wrong with the "d-Force" clothes in the screen shot?  (Middle and RH side characters.)  It's like they look unfinished or the wrong presets or something-- esp cuff of her pants & seams on his jacket.

That's not meant as a snark.  I got a bunch of stuff free with Edward, so no complaints about the store or d-Force in general.  I just haven't gotten around to exploring this particular part of DS yet.

As a novice, I'm used to clothes looking like the outfit on the left.

To get "d-Force" clothes to look more like 'default' clothes, they require additional work for stuff like seams and fabric wrinkles?  

Bottom line: can you use d-Force outfits/clothing like regular clothing?

Thanks for reading!

--Bruce

---
Edit: weeding out old imgur files.  PM missing links.

Post edited by Tynkere on

Comments

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited February 2018

There are a few things at work here (this is all my opinion based on the time I've spent with dForce so far).

1. Currently dForce does not do different types of fabric easily.  It is especially bad at simulating stiffer fabric, whether lighter or heavier.  The heavier and stretchier the intended fabric, the better dForce simulates it.  Until we have a slightly better way to sim lighter, stiffer fabrics so that they work without crashing or blowing up, it will be harder to sim things like suits.  I'm hopeful that this will happen going forward as the program develops.

2.  Clothes that are unsimmed conformers have "consensus wrinkles," wrinkles sculpted in to represent as many different positions as possible - they have if anything more wrinkles than real clothes probably would, because in real clothes the wrinkles are positionally dependent.  So dForce will have less wrinkles and folds in most positions too. 

3.  dForce garment creation is still in its infancy.  We're all still experimenting with it.  I spent a lot of time on my Roman set learning that dForce sims wrinkles and folds much better if you've already built basic ones into the garment from the beginning, because it doesn't have as "far to go" in most positions.  Not all artists have access to Marvelous Designer, and not all probably realize that dForce looks its best when you give it a starter point with the geometry.

Post edited by SickleYield on
  • LyonessLyoness Posts: 1,610

There are a few things at work here (this is all my opinion based on the time I've spent with dForce so far).

1. Currently dForce does not do different types of fabric easily.  It is especially bad at simulating stiffer fabric, whether lighter or heavier.  The heavier and stretchier the intended fabric, the better dForce simulates it.  Until we have a slightly better way to sim lighter, stiffer fabrics so that they work without crashing or blowing up, it will be harder to sim things like suits.  I'm hopeful that this will happen going forward as the program develops.

2.  Clothes that are unsimmed conformers have "consensus wrinkles," wrinkles sculpted in to represent as many different positions as possible - they have if anything more wrinkles than real clothes probably would, because in real clothes the wrinkles are positionally dependent.  So dForce will have less wrinkles and folds in most positions too. 

3.  dForce garment creation is still in its infancy.  We're all still experimenting with it.  I spent a lot of time on my Roman set learning that dForce sims wrinkles and folds much better if you've already built basic ones into the garment from the beginning, because it doesn't have as "far to go" in most positions.  Not all artists have access to Marvelous Designer, and not all probably realize that dForce looks its best when you give it a starter point with the geometry.

well said @SickleYield

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629

Thanks!  I love dForce to death, am already planning more projects with it, but it definitely has its quirks.

• TynkereTynkere Posts: 834

Now that you've pointed it out, the folds in his modern slacks do look more realistic than the ones of the mediaeval model.  Makes me realize how much effort must go into really good clothing.

Guess I should start learning d-force since that's the way things seem to be going.

Thanks for taking time to reply BTW.  Tutorials bookmarked.  smiley

--Bruce

• maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,750

Thanks!  I love dForce to death, am already planning more projects with it, but it definitely has its quirks.

Double quote, because that is true enough to be said twice... (following a german proverb)

• Thanks!  I love dForce to death, am already planning more projects with it, but it definitely has its quirks.

Double quote, because that is true enough to be said twice... (following a german proverb)

You can say that again.