From Daz To Poser 2014: How much hassle?

Ashfire45Ashfire45 Posts: 126
edited December 1969 in The Commons

There are a few features in Poser 2014 that are really calling out to me; mainly the physics and most of all, the fitting room. Yet, I've been using Daz for all of my 3D life, and all my scenes that I'm not willing to recreate were made in, and are for Daz. If I were to purchase Poser 2014, how would I go about converting these scenes to the Poser format? And would they work the same way in Daz as they did in Poser? I'm not sure if I'm willing to spend an eternity tinkering around with these things when I have it all ready in my beloved Daz Studio, so it's going to be a big part of the deciding factor for me.

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,175
    edited December 1969

With the DSON Importer loading recent scenes should be fairly easy, though you will inevitably have to rework (or apply the Poser settings for) the materials. Older items, in .daz format, will be harder to handle - at the very least you will need to resave them as .duf files, as you will any .dsf scenes from DS 4.0. Another option, for the older figures, is to use the Poser Format Exporter to save poses and morph settings and then to apply the Poser-format material files for the sets you used, assuming they weren't custom jobs of your own. Lights you will need to rebuild, I think. Of course you can simply use both, depending on what you want to do - they coexist quite happily.

• Ashfire45Ashfire45 Posts: 126
    edited December 1969

Will the materials' settings have to be reworked to appear correctly inside of Poser, or just to appear correctly in the render? I'm a Reality user, so if it's to appear correctly in the render, then that's no issue! I retweak every material I use for Reality at any rate! I've actually already resaved all of my older scenes in the DUF files, so it sounds like a lot of the hard work's already done!

Hmmm....From the sounds of it, I'll let them coexist. After all, there's features in both that I'll need, I think, from Daz's Look At My Hair plug in, to Poser's Fitting Room, which I'm majorly looking forward to.

Do you think Daz will ever do something similar to the Fitting Room, or would it be something quite pointless with Genesis' Autofit?

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,409
    edited December 1969

DAZ Studio's transfer utility already does what the fitting room is supposed to do.

• Ashfire45Ashfire45 Posts: 126
    edited December 1969

Ah, that's an interesting piece of news; can you expand a little bit? If I wanted to fit Genesis clothing to Victoria - or Aiko 4 in my case - then could I use the Transfer Utility? It seems to need a weight mapped figure, though, and when ever I try convert Victoria/Aiko 4 into one through Scene > Edit > Rigging, Daz immediately crashes.

My understanding about the fitting room is that you can fit any clothes to any figure, but this doesn't seem to be an option with Daz, or not a commonly known one?

• KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited December 1969

Ashfire45 said:
    Ah, that's an interesting piece of news; can you expand a little bit? If I wanted to fit Genesis clothing to Victoria - or Aiko 4 in my case - then could I use the Transfer Utility? It seems to need a weight mapped figure, though, and when ever I try convert Victoria/Aiko 4 into one through Scene > Edit > Rigging, Daz immediately crashes.

Did you try to convert to usual WeightMapping first and then convert usual Weightmapping to Triax?
  • Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited June 2013

Ashfire45 said:

My understanding about the fitting room is that you can fit any clothes to any figure

Not quite. Now that it's in everyone's hands, people are finding they have to do a bit more work, which includes scaling your figure to your target figure before fitting and possibly having to learn a bit about the setup room to adjust joint centers and other parameters. It works better on the native Poser figures, but Gen 4 has been a bit more spotty. The WMV4 (or any Poser converted weightmapped figure) works a bit better, but you won't be able to bring those clothes back to DS since it rigs it for Poser weightmaps only.

I'd do a bit more research in the various threads on other sites such as runtimedna on the successes they're having with converting clothing to the figures you want to use to get a better idea of whether the fitting room is going to do what you want it to do.

Post edited by Male-M3dia on