middle class dreamland homes

Dreamland homes are excellent, but it would be nice to have middle class homes, apartment complexes and condos...  

Comments

• MarcCCTxMarcCCTx Posts: 909

I would mind having some even lower class houses. Like the little cracker box houses near my neighborhood, They seem to be single room with kitcheneete and bathroom.

• MarcCCTx said:

I would mind having some even lower class houses. Like the little cracker box houses near my neighborhood, They seem to be single room with kitcheneete and bathroom.

absolutely - and a good trailer park

• Totally agree. The majority of homes seem to be focused on luxury rather than practicality, which is detrimental when trying to create every day scenes.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

I have always said that.   We tend to live in much smaller houses in the main, over here in the UK,

• BradCarstenBradCarsten Posts: 856

When you are all looking for home models, do you prefer them to be fully furnished, or empty, considering that fully furnished will take a lot longer to create and thus cost a lot more. Reason I'm asking is because I created a middle class condo, and am wondering whether I need to furnish it or not before submitting it to the store.

• That's interesting, because I would consider most of those to be middle class homes.
  • frankrblowfrankrblow Posts: 2,052
    bradrg said:

When you are all looking for home models, do you prefer them to be fully furnished, or empty, considering that fully furnished will take a lot longer to create and thus cost a lot more. Reason I'm asking is because I created a middle class condo, and am wondering whether I need to furnish it or not before submitting it to the store.

Speaking for myself, I have dozens and dozens of furnished home/room sets, which gives me literally hundreds of furniture options. As for people starting fresh, there are lots of free furniture options. So I would think a nicely designed house/trailer/shack that's priced low would sell well.

And you could always create a furniture add-on for those who want it.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,604
    bradrg said:

from a user POV, a complete set is always welcome,but not at an extra cost. If that was the case, then either/or and let the user decide which to purchase.. I have bought a couple of buildings that had both and were reasonable priced, but the norm is usually either/or since most users won't have need for both.

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037

Small middle class home

https://www.daz3d.com/home-one-bundle

• BradCarstenBradCarsten Posts: 856

Speaking for myself, I have dozens and dozens of furnished home/room sets, which gives me literally hundreds of furniture options. As for people starting fresh, there are lots of free furniture options. So I would think a nicely designed house/trailer/shack that's priced low would sell well.

And you could always create a furniture add-on for those who want it.

from a user POV, a complete set is always welcome,but not at an extra cost. If that was the case, then either/or and let the user decide which to purchase.. I have bought a couple of buildings that had both and were reasonable priced, but the norm is usually either/or since most users won't have need for both.

Thanks for the feedback. If I don't have have to spend the time creating the furniture I can use it to add a nice garden instead, and like you both said. I can always add furniture at a later date. 

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438

https://www.daz3d.com/shop/suburban-house

https://www.daz3d.com/shop/the-bungalow

Neither of them are furnished, but at those prices....

Funny, but I didn't even remember making the Bungalow. I had to open it in DS to find out what it was.

• pbateman28pbateman28 Posts: 22
    edited April 2018

The Flamingo Trailer Park is OK, but badly in need of a texture update. I would love to see a mondern version.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,750
    Chohole said:

I have always said that.   We tend to live in much smaller houses in the main, over here in the UK,

Well, at least they all look the same from the outside... devil

And yes, many years ago I visited a friend in Luton who lived in one of those "all standing in a row looking the same, which makes coming home from the pub drunk interesting"-houses, which have the frontdoor leading directly into the living room, with the kitchen behind it and a stairway leading up to the bath and two bedrooms. Seen from the front it was 4m wide or so? From my german pov it looked a bit odd, but it was a functioning design. And afaik it comes from the fact, that britains have a higher interest in owning their homes, without having a larger amount of money available so these houses usually end up a bit smaller, but "theirs" while here in germany the usual thing is to live in a rented house/flat until you manage after some 20-ish years to put enough money aside for a larger house, which is supposed to be an investment in the future, so your children will have something nice to live in, if it weren't for the fact that nowadays these children usually end up in a different town due to getting a job there.. devil

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited April 2018

The sort of house you describe is actually not really very common.  Yes sure you get roads with Terraced houses, but most of the ones I knew had a hallway leading to the stairs to the upstairs floor which had 3 bedrooms and a bathroom, and doors leading off from the hallway to the front room, living room, kitchen etc downstairs..   Some of the smaller Victorian working class houses did have front doors opening into the front room, but there were not many of them left in the area where I grew up,  that style tended to be mostly "Up North"

Where I live now my house is not too unusual for the area as it is a stone built cottage.  Mine was built somewhere around 1835 or so.  18" to 2ft thick stone walls, double fronted. not so Common in other areas though.

BTW  the secret to knowing which house is yours when you come home from the pub drunk is to paint the door and window frames a different colour to the ones on each side of you.   That is a bit difficult nowadays when people keep installing upvc double glazing

Post edited by Chohole on
  • FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,433
    edited April 2018

I'll throw out a few more American homes as possible alternatives. 

https://www.daz3d.com/modern-bungalow

https://www.daz3d.com/1stbastions-neighbours-front-drive

Post edited by FirstBastion on
  • I'll throw out a few more American homes as possible alternatives. 

https://www.daz3d.com/modern-bungalow

https://www.daz3d.com/1stbastions-neighbours-front-drive

One thing I do notice about Modern Bungalow there is, it clearly specifies that the drawers and the cabinets in the kitchen open and close... it gives no indication at all if the sink vanity doors in the bathroom do, or if the toilet seat and lid can be lifted, so I assume they don't.  oO  I'm actually one of those who's more interested in the latter rather than the former, since I DO need to be able to open the various things in the bathroom, so I am hoping any new products that come out of this discussion DO make doubly sure that the seat and lid on the toilet can be raised and that the bathroom sink drawers and doors can be opened.  Every fixture of the house that can be opened, closed, or twirled needs to be openable or twirlable, including things like the fuze/breaker box door, the little hatch on the waterheater where the pilot light is, etc, because you never know what some end-user might need to do for their scene.

• maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,750
    Chohole said:

Some of the smaller Victorian working class houses did have front doors opening into the front room, but there were not many of them left in the area where I grew up,  that style tended to be mostly "Up North"

Well, it was in Luton, so only a short train ride from London... but yeah,limited experience from my side I guess...

Things have changed here in Germany too, over the last decades. For quite some time, houses (single family homes) were build on a space of land, with some free space on the sides to the neighbour's piece of land, a small lawn in front and a garden behind it. And most houses didn't look alike, except for general colours.

Nowadays these "single family homes" usually are built in rows, one right next to the other. The lawns in front have disappeared and the gardens behind got a lot smaller. Makes it easier to put more houses in the same amount of space...

And I'm living in a small town, which thinks of itself as a city, full with houses dating back to the 14th century or so. The one I live in is at least 300 years old.. or most of it is, as there has been done a lot of modifications over the centuries. It's build on the corner of two streets and the ground level once was a carpenter/wainwright/cooper's workshop (depending which business the ancestors of my wife had in those centuries). The first floor is the living area while the second floor once only was used as an attic to store stuff, until some 50 years ago a part of it was rebuild into another small flat.

Right through a part of the ground level there's a passage leading into our neighbour's house, due to both houses once being one house, until it was divided between two brothers inheriting it.

And yes, we also have some very thick walls, but also parts that have been replaced or changed. And we have two cellars... one below the other, going at least 6m or so underground...

Coming up with a design like that in DAZ would make most people wonder how someone would come to the idea to build a house like that, I guess... wink

• PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,315
    Chohole said:

BTW  the secret to knowing which house is yours when you come home from the pub drunk is to paint the door and window frames a different colour to the ones on each side of you.   That is a bit difficult nowadays when people keep installing upvc double glazing

Made me think of this one, by Ben Colder:

• What is missing is modest SoCal/West Coast Master Planned Cul-De-Sac suburban communities. Homes that are mostly a 2 or 3 car garage and a living room. Think the area in Poltergeist. 

The smaller homes above are all East Coast style ranch and bubgalow homes with detatched garages.