Category DB

desperadodesperado Posts: 67
edited December 1969 in New Users

Here's another ?? regarding the category database. Not too long ago, I had to reinstall DAZ 4.6 due to a computer crash. Since then, my "Categories" has been blank. Whenever I try to create a category, I get the error message "Unable to create container xxx". When I right click to add an item, nothing happens. I've tried "Migrate Old DB" and using the Content DB Maintenace" options, all no go. Here's a screen shot of my Content Directory Manager. Any ideas?
http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r498/VA_Desperado/content-db_zpsffcb8b2d.jpg

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

It sounds like CMS isn't running, or is being blocked from communicating with DS. If you re using Windows, shut down DS and go to Start > Programs > DAZ 3D > DAZ Content Management Service > Start DAZ CMS
    and see if that solves the problem.

• desperadodesperado Posts: 67
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the prompt response. Gave it a shot, but still no go.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Assuming your security software isn't blocking it, chances are the database got corrupted. Do you have custom categories?

edited December 1969

I tried uninstall and reinstall, still no luck. Reset also has no effect. Looks like I'm just gonna have to live with it.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited June 2013

What did you uninstall? DS or the CMS? A DS uninstall/install will not do a thing to Fix a broken CMS Database. CMS must be Uninstalled on it's own, it's in the programs Start menu on Win7, Then you need to go in by hand and Remove all left over bits from the folder. I just Delete the whole thing. I then open the Hidden folder AppData and clean it of all CMS folders and data.

Now a reinstall of DS should re install the CMS and it should run 100% clean again. If not something is blocking it.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Well, after a few cycles on un then re install, I finally got the categories back. So I'll quit while I'm ahead and not try to upgrade to 4.6

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Now that you have it a few tips.

1. Never install content with DAZ Studio open, the CMS (Database) is in use and can be corrupted.
    2. Use the Content DB Maintenance to Export user data often, it can be used to FIX a broken Database.

edited December 1969

Okey dokey. I'll give 'em a whirl.