What is up with these messages I keep getting?

AngelAngel Posts: 1,204
edited December 1969 in New Users

I don't know what these messages are.
When I go to render an image I get all these crazy messages.
I don't know what they even mean, or how serious they really are.

Anybody with a clear answer "in English" not in greeklish gets a cookie.

Rendering in 3Delight
Rendering image
Creating shadow map for "SpotLight 1"
3Delight message #43 (Severity 0): R2093: object '/B25SRShoe/B25SSRBackHeel' (displacement 'DAZ/Uber/displacement/omDispStandard', surface 'DAZ/Uber/surface/omShadowSurface') used only 0% of its displacement bound
Creating shadow map for "SpotLight 2"
3Delight message #13 (Severity 1): R2054: primitive (or parts of) '' discarded during eye-split
3Delight message #43 (Severity 0): R2093: object '/B25SRShoe/B25SSRBackHeel' (displacement 'DAZ/Uber/displacement/omDispStandard', surface 'DAZ/Uber/surface/omShadowSurface') used only 0% of its displacement bound
Creating shadow map for "SpotLight 3"
3Delight message #13 (Severity 1): R2054: primitive (or parts of) '' discarded during eye-split
Creating shadow map for "SpotLight 4"

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Severity 1 and 0 are simple warnings the render puts out to say it's okay It will work fine but I had to fix it a little bit. The lower the number the better.

I can haz cookie?

• AngelAngel Posts: 1,204
    edited June 2013

"Throws cookie at Jade" As far as milk. Your on your own ; )

Post edited by Angel on
  • Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

danwat801 said:
    There are boundaries set on displacement (a minimum and a maximum). This just indicates that you've not used any of that limit, and it can happen for several reasons. One of the most common is procedural displacements where the final calculated displacement is dead center. It shouldn't affect your render too adversely.

This indicates that a part of the geometry was discarded at render time. In almost all cases, this is not a visible part of the geometry, and won't adversely affect the render. They can be discarded for several reasons, but the most common is that the camera is close enough to an object that displaced scenery may pass through the camera's field of view. In such cases, 3Delight discards the displaced polygons which are off-screen unless they're needed for reflection calculations.
    edited June 2013

Also I would like to know why when you preview lights, its pitch black, even though the render is well lite. Also the eyes move out of aim sometimes looking right above their heads. instead of at them, like I had adjusted for eye contact, but in preview lights their eyes are nowhere near looking at each other.

I hope there is a good reason for that. And not just lazy programming.

Post edited by Angel on
    edited December 1969

danwat801 said:
    There are boundaries set on displacement (a minimum and a maximum). This just indicates that you've not used any of that limit, and it can happen for several reasons. One of the most common is procedural displacements where the final calculated displacement is dead center. It shouldn't affect your render too adversely.

This indicates that a part of the geometry was discarded at render time. In almost all cases, this is not a visible part of the geometry, and won't adversely affect the render. They can be discarded for several reasons, but the most common is that the camera is close enough to an object that displaced scenery may pass through the camera's field of view. In such cases, 3Delight discards the displaced polygons which are off-screen unless they're needed for reflection calculations.Nibbles my cookie reading the geek speak that was plainly asked not to be given. Good cookie too. (Wink)
    edited December 1969

danwat801 said:
    Also I would like to know why when you preview lights, its pitch black, even though the render is well lite. Also the eyes move out of aim sometimes looking right above their heads. instead of at them, like I had adjusted for eye contact, but in preview lights their eyes are nowhere near looking at each other.

I hope there is a good reason for that. And not just lazy programming.

Not sure I follow this one, got a screen shot you can post?
    edited December 1969

Well here is one example of something I'm having an issue with.
    Its really demonic looking! I dont know whats going on.
    When I preview lights the eyes go all demonic on me lol!

Also in the other shot. it look me about 14 renders to get the girl to look at her mom because even though it was accurate in the preview with and without the lights, the render always came out where she was looking above her head. OR at her chest or anything BUT eye contact.

Without_preveiw.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 295K
    With_Preview_on.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 274K
    edited December 1969

This one right here took my about 14 renders...

Back_too_soon_160.jpg
    1184 x 666 - 120K
  • BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,851
    edited December 1969

There is actually quite a few different versions of those error messages that 3Delight likes to cough up, but the cause is the same thing on all of them, badly done Bump & Displacement maps, or if your using the ShaderMixer then pretty much anything you plug into Bump/Displacement will cause it.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,395
    edited December 1969

The displacement warning is potentially useful, to people who are creating their own maps or shaders, as looking for displacement where there isn't any wastes a little time - spread over a film's worth of frames that can add up to the point where it would be worth reworking the material settings toa void the unnecessary work. What it usually means is that the map being applied to displacement strength doesn't go all of the way to black and white, so the Min and Max values are never reached - that can be down to bad maps, but it can also be down to a good map not using the full dynamic range on one surface while it does on another.

As for the lighting, the OpenGL preview is limited in the number of lights it will show (usually 7) - if you have more lights than that then the ones previewed may not be the ones lighting the area you are looking at. You can turn the lighting preview off, cmd/ctrl-L or Window>Preview lights.

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited June 2013

Adding on to what Richard said, some lights don't show properly or at all in preview mode. The 'fix' is what Richard already said, ctl+L or menu... to turn the 'headlamp' back on.

As for the eyes, or anything you want directed to a specific area, there is a function called 'point at.' To use it, you select the item you want directed at something, eyes for instance, go to the 'Parameters' tab and put 'point' in the search box. It will say 'none...' click the button and navigate the tree until you see what you want that object pointing at (camera, other character's eyes, etc...) This is a very handy feature and can be used in a lot of different ways. One could do a whole thread just on creative ways to use the 'point at' function :)

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

danwat801 said:
    I don't know what these messages are.
    When I go to render an image I get all these crazy messages.
    I don't know what they even mean, or how serious they really are.

Anybody with a clear answer "in English" not in greeklish gets a cookie.

Rendering in 3Delight
    Rendering image
    Creating shadow map for "SpotLight 1"
    Creating shadow map for "SpotLight 2"
    Creating shadow map for "SpotLight 3"
    Creating shadow map for "SpotLight 4"

What shadows are you using on the lights, Deep Shadow Mapping or none?