how do you do discarded clothing?

SertorialSertorial Posts: 962
edited December 1969 in New Users

when clothing is not on a figure (say on a chair, or on the floor) how do you morph it to look realistic? I only seem to be able to flatten it by scaling in one axis, but it doesn't look very realistic as clothes are never just perfectly flat, yet symmetric in all other directions.

(I'm just talking about regular clothing btw not dynamic)

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited June 2013

With this one I flattened on the Z axis and then used some pose parameters to move bits around, in just the same sort of way I would pose a figure, if that makes sense. So the checked dress on the floor I bent the abdomen and then moved it sideways and a bit of twist in there as well.

mike_4_miffed_4.jpg
    600 x 450 - 218K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • SertorialSertorial Posts: 962
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    With this one I flattened on the Z axis and then used some pose parameters to move bits around, in just the same sort of way I would pose a figure, if that makes sense. So the checked dress on the floor I bent the abdomen and then moved it sideways and a bit of twist in there as well.

thanks. I have tried that too, but most garments don't seem to pose very easily. Even if they have bones, they seem to behave in odd ways when I try to pose them...

oh well... thought maybe there was some clever trick I was missing, but I guess not.

You couldn't "fit to" a chair, I guess?

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

You could try using a piece of dynamic clothing, and set it to collide with a chair, I'm not sure if that would work though.

You could certainly do it in Poser with their dynamic cloth, using the cloth room.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

I just tried this with the Basic Dress for V4 (Dynamic), and set it to collide with a chair. It seems to work OK

JC_2.png
    800 x 800 - 468K
  • Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited June 2013

Inlite also has a free pack that contains clothing props in various forms (on hangers, flat folded, etc.) if you want any of that.
    http://inlitestudio.com/3d/product/cupboard-stuff/

You don't have to create an account (unless you want to). During checkout just fill in some info for First/Last name and Email and hit checkout. You can leave the 'Create Account?' box unchecked.

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
  • ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

Lady: I'll just be another 5 minutes.

Gent: You said you'd just be another 5 minutes half an hour ago.

• pwiecekpwiecek Posts: 1,548
    edited December 1969

If you have one scene with a garment being worn and want it on the floor later, try to find a similar dynamic piece and transfer the textures.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited June 2013

chohole said:

Lady: I'll just be another 5 minutes.

Gent: You said you'd just be another 5 minutes half an hour ago.

Exactly. Is the image on the first page of my site, Seemed like a good idea for a site full of clothing textures.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,861
    edited December 1969

IDEA: HAVEN'T TRIED: If something is on the floor and you want it crumpled with a bit of "tent" (irregular folds sticking up) then find another object or two, scale THEM down, lower them using the Y translation so half of them are below the plane, rotate it using Y rotation, so that part of them are sticking up, and plaster the clothing over it.