the Genesis Figure is missing

BKisTheTruthBKisTheTruth Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

HI. I recently downloaded DAZ 3D 4.6. When I launch a new page, there is no genesis figure in in like I expected. Can someone explain how to fix this? I've had it for a week now and can't do anything because I don't know how to create a new gen figure.

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Did you install Genesis Starter Essentials? That's the content that comes with DS4.6 -- it's in a separate installer from the application.

• BKisTheTruthBKisTheTruth Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

No, I didn't, Mike. I wasn't aware of the ned to. I will do that and update/close this thread as necessary. THank you for your help.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,471
    edited December 1969

Just edit the title and add in (Solved)

edited December 1969

Back again, already!
    Where do I find it? I downloaded the free version of DAZ 4.6 because I'm curious about it. However, I don't see the need to spend money on add ons before knowing that I will want to purchase the full application and work with it. All that to say, can I get everything that I need to trial this product before spending any money? Giving the product away for free is useless if users can't use it, at least a little, for free.

edited December 1969

DS comes with Genesis starter Essentials which had preloaded content. It comes as a separate download and needs to be install to work properly

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Back again, already!
    Where do I find it? I downloaded the free version of DAZ 4.6 because I'm curious about it. However, I don't see the need to spend money on add ons before knowing that I will want to purchase the full application and work with it. All that to say, can I get everything that I need to trial this product before spending any money? Giving the product away for free is useless if users can't use it, at least a little, for free.

First of all, it is NOT a trial, it is the full version. You do not need to buy anything, Genesis Starter Essentials comes free as part of the download.

I assume that you 'bought' DAZ Studio for free from the store here, as that is the only legal way of obtaining a copy. If so, then go to My Account > Product Library, and you should find a file to download called Genesis Starter Essentials, it contains all of the free content suipplied with DAZ Studio.

As Frank says, you MUST download and install this file to have any content at all.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

If you click for DS4.6 in your product library, then look here, you should see the genesis starter essentials.

gen_starter_essentials.jpg
    662 x 373 - 110K
  • edited December 1969

In what folder do you place the D.S.F file of the Genesis Base Figure, the one which loads as you start up 4.6!
    I think i have placed it in every folder including Data and it still won't load, its just a pain in the a***!
    cheers.

edited December 1969

Are you moving the files by hand? They are packaged to go to the proper place

• edited December 1969

Thanks Frank, to start with i unzipped and coped /pasted into }My Library and started 4.6 up, then you get the error box, can't find the "DSF" file, so i moved it manually to nearly every folder in }My Library and still no luck, just had another go unzipped the file and moved overwrite all the folders in }My Library, then started up 4.6 once more, only to get the error box asking for the "DSF" file,
    I know I'm not the only one who has asked for this, but its bordering on the "This getting b***** silly now!"

edited December 1969

If you are using DS4.6, it should be looking for a file called genesis.DUF, and not DSF, that is the problem.

You need to go into your Preferences, and where you have it set to load the Genesis file on startup, change it from DSF to DUF, and then it should load properly. You can still go to DAZ Studio Formats > People > Genesis, and load it from there. You can also go into Preferences, and not have it load any figure at startup, or even a scene file of your own.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited June 2013

You should Copy/Paste ALL the content from that file into the Default content Folder. Not just one part of it.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • edited June 2013

Yeah done all that, still won't work!
    Now you say the DUF and not the DSF file! so why is it asking for the DSF!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Said it before and i say again its a pain in the a***!
    glad it was free as i would be real p***** if i spent money on this!

Post edited by kjmartland_5b7bfb1d15 on
    edited December 1969

keef666 said:
    Yeah done all that, still won't work!
    Now you say the DUF and not the DSF file! so why is it asking for the DSF!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Said it before and i say again its a pain in the a***!
    glad it was free as i would be real p***** if i spent money on this!

Done all what?

I already explained why it is looking for DSF in my previous post, if indeed that is the error. If you want this fixed, you will need to post some information to help us. What is the error message EXACTLY?

Have you looked in DAZ Studio Formats > People > Genesis, to see if there is a file there called Genesis.DUF, if not, you have either installed to the wrong location, or you do not have the directories setup correctly in the Content Directory Manager.

Have you looked to see what file you have set to load in Preferences as shown below.

Untitled-1.jpg
    558 x 534 - 119K
    edited December 1969

DS saves your preferences when it updates. DS4.0 had a .dsf file as the startup default; when you update to 4.5+ it doesn't change that, since you may have changed it to a custom scene.

• edited December 1969

Thanks guys got the problem solved!

• edited December 1969

Sorry, just to let you know how i got it to work,
    I was looking for the DSF file and not the DUF, once i found this, did a copy & paste into the genesis folder to overwrite, and started 4.6 and the base figure appeared,

Don't know why i didn't have it there in the first place!!
    So thanks JimmyC most helpful

This is a bit confusing as i see threads and tuts on how to save, and its seems to be save as a DSF file, when you do this in edit>save as> there's only one choice and thats a DUF. so does that mean you can't save a clothing item/prop as a cr2/pp2 type of file in 4.6!

edited December 1969

DSF was the old format the DAZ Studio used for Genesis, and it now uses DUF for most things, including Scenes and Scene Subsets.

You can save as a CR2 file if you use the File > Export option. Are you wanting to save for Poser? A lot of older DS content comes in Poser format, and that is why there is a Runtime folder inside the main DS Content folder.

edited December 1969

I'm still not getting a genesis figure. From reading the thread, I'm pretty sure all files are in the correct locations (see screen grab). What do I do next?

DAZ.jpg
    1194 x 506 - 144K
  • Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited June 2013

My date modified has the date DS4.6 came out as that's when I updated my Genesis Starter Essentials.
    Your date modified is Sept 2012. Reinstall your Genesis Starter essentials. You should do that after each major DS update (4.6 only came out not long ago). I see that you tried to on the last page, but it appears something didn't take.

I suggest setting up the DIM so everything gets installed to its proper place once you set your library in it (there is a 32bit Mac version).

(PS- freakin' macs.. I thought you posted a screenshot of iTunes at first lol)

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
    edited December 1969

Does the Genesis.duf in your screenshot work?

edited December 1969

When I dbl-click it, it opens up a new DS4.6 window without a figure.

edited December 1969

What is the full path to the .duf file?

edited December 1969

It didn't load to the correct directory. It went into my downloads folder, so I moved it to my desktop. Where exactly am I supposed to put the full downloaded folder?

Users/CarMelo/Desktop/IM00014812-01_GenesisStarterEssentials/Content/People/Genesis

edited June 2013

You should have a lot more folders in that zip.

aniBlocks, Animals, Camera Presets, data, DAZ Studio Tutorials, Light Presets, People, Props, Runtime, Scenes, and Shader Presets. All of them get copied into your main Daz library folder.

For example, mine is F:\Daz Studio\!!My Library, so that is where I would place all of those folders.

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
    edited December 1969

I'm going to assume you know how to make sure folders merge rather than replace, as I know that can be tricky on a Mac.

1) Extract the contents of the zip to a dummy location.
    2) In that dummy location, you want to merge everything UNDERNEATH the folder named "Content" with the corresponding folders underneath "My Library" (or whatever your DS content folder is called).

It's a lot easier if you use DIM.

edited December 1969

How do I know which ones to download? I only clicked the 1st one here (see image)...

Pick_em.jpg
    761 x 576 - 117K
    edited December 1969

You'd use the actual DIM program (you could extract it like a zip, but it's easier to let DIM do it).
    http://www.daz3d.com/install-manager-info

edited December 1969

Actually, It's all there. It's inside the content folder pictured.

edited December 1969

Actually, It's all there. It's inside the content folder pictured.

Follow Mike's suggestion above, unless you want to use the DIM automatic installer I linked just above your post.