What features would you like to see appear in dazstudio 5?

Comments

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    Windamyre said:

A few Content related suggestions:

For Smart Content, allowing the pane to remember the last location for a given item.  For example, I find myself selecting Genesis3 to look for a good shirt.  I drill down to Wardrobe -> Shirt and then pick one.  I click on the shirt to look for materials but don't like the choices, so I delete it and click on Genesis 3.  Now I have to scroll back down to Wardrobe -> Shirt and scroll down the list to where I last was.  If I switch back and forth between three or more objects it's an inconvenient.  I understand there'd have to be a limit, but if it could buffer the last few items it would improve workflow.

Also for Smart Content, an option to change the Filter in the upper left corner.  Sometime I want to look for a shirt for Genesis 3 Female, and I think one of the Genesis 3 Male shirts would be great.  ATM, the only way to find it in Smart Content is to uncheck Filter By Context and go through all the shirts, since the Filter shifts to No Selection.  It would be nice to be able to select Genesis 3 Male (or Genesis 2 Female, etc.) as easily as I select Victoria 7, or get a listing when Filter By Context is unchecked.

For Content Library, the ability to have more than one Content Library pane.  For older content in particular, I find myself jumping back and forth between two or more folders for poses, materials, characters, etc.  The back and forth buttons are helpful, but have a limited memory, and since each sub-folder is a step it limits its usefulness.  This would be particularly helpful for people who segment their libraries based on publisher/genre/etc.

+1

Would be so useful.

• It's not a terribly practical approach, but you can have diffrent folders showing in different activities ("rooms") - however, going back will step through the foldrs opened in each visited activity.

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
    Visuimag said:

a trusty Move-to-the-Floor feature. The one we have now is shot.

How? It used not to take account of fitted items but seems to be doing so these days.

It drops mine a few inches BELOW the floor, it seems. I have to use it then adjust.

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,279
    RKane_1 said:
    Visuimag said:

How? It used not to take account of fitted items but seems to be doing so these days.

It drops mine a few inches BELOW the floor, it seems. I have to use it then adjust.

For me it depends on the figure some below some above but none right

• RKane_1 said:
    Visuimag said:

For me it depends on the figure some below some above but none right

Please report these as bugs, with steps to reproduce.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,591
    edited July 2017
    Petercat said:

fred9803 said:

"And if Studio 4.99999 or so could simply replace the older version without changing or deleting anything else on my computer, that would be nice, too"

This. Release all new versions as updates to the previous version that can be applied as an "update" to the version you have. The recent "improvements" are only minor adjustments to the previous base program that could easily be released as an update rather having to download and install a completely new version of DS.

Updatign DS should (not?) do anything to other applications or content - if it is,s omethign is going wrong. I'm not sure, other than be=andwidth, what the perceived beenfit of patching is - the drawback is the potential for unintended file differences between isntalaltions to cause problems.

Then something has gone with every installation of a new generation of a new version of Studio that I've ever installed.
    Don't the instructions even specify backing everything up before the installation?
    Standard practice, I know, but with most programs it's a just-in-case precaution. With Studio, it seems to be a necessity.

And what is the rationale for not making older versions of programs and plugins available at DAZ, Richard? What would it hurt?

I'd love to go to DS 4.9, but my DS 4.8 works well and I'm afraid that there is no way back. I established a good workflow with external software, but I'm not sure if it still works with a higher version...

Older versions don't have to be supported, but there should be a way back. If I had such a way, I already would have installed 4.9.

..I agree. I am still dismayed that changes to some bricks in the shader mixer in the 4.7 update broke functions of two of my most important tools in 3DL, AOA's Atmospheric Cameras (Vignette, Colour and EZ Volume cameras) and Advanced Lights (flagging SSS surfaces). 

Post edited by kyoto kid on

(if not asked already)

"Record macro" smart scripting (like in Excel)... for the rest of us who still cannot write a script

...+1

• I really want to see some Iray render enhancements:

Let Save Last Render save a 32-bit file format (32-bit TIFF, EXR or HDR). Little is more irksome for me than pausing a very long render then accidentally hitting "Close" instead of "Resume," when I'm near the end of a render. Being able to recover from that mistake with Save Last Render is great—but without 32-bit file support, a lot less useful. 

Don't restart the render from zero when adjusting quality settings. Most of the time, I know what Progressive Render settings I want, but sometimes I look at an in-progress render and realize it needs more time or a higher quality setting than I've given it. When I change those settings and hit Resume, the render goes back to the start point. Today, I went from ~500 iteration to 1 by adjusting the render quality from 2 to 4. I don't understand why changing convergence percentage targets and quality settings should require a new render.

32-bit TIF, EXR or HDR save option. I know canvases allow this, but sometimes I forget to set it up, or load a scene that a PA or somebody else made without them. I understand why the average user wants a JPG or PNG, but it would be really, really nice to have a 32-bit option. 

Post-processing tools like Modo. One of the things I love about Modo's render engine is before you save the render, you can tone the raw file. I suspect this would definitely be a v.5 addition, but being able to add bloom at the end without any rendertime hit would be great (I believe it's a post-process in Iray, but added with each iteration, which adds render time). Adjusting white and black levels in post is really excellent, too. A lot of this can be done just with a 32-bit EXR file from a canvas, but the bloom bit is tricky and having the interface as part of the render window is super convenient. My suspicion is that a lot of DS users would come to love the feature once they see it.

edited July 2017
    ...the thing I an gathering from all this is even if one quarter of the suggestions were implemented, we are looking at a programme that would be so huge and unwieldy it would make 3DS Max and Blender look like old MS Paint in comparison. Crikey, the basic starter tutorial would need to be a couple hours long.
    Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • Post-processing tools like Modo. One of the things I love about Modo's render engine is before you save the render, you can tone the raw file. I suspect this would definitely be a v.5 addition, but being able to add bloom at the end without any rendertime hit would be great (I believe it's a post-process in Iray, but added with each iteration, which adds render time). Adjusting white and black levels in post is really excellent, too. A lot of this can be done just with a 32-bit EXR file from a canvas, but the bloom bit is tricky and having the interface as part of the render window is super convenient. My suspicion is that a lot of DS users would come to love the feature once they see it.

Have you looked at Render>Render Editor? Though that is limited, as far as I can tell, to the basic 8 bit per channel renders.

• Post-processing tools like Modo. One of the things I love about Modo's render engine is before you save the render, you can tone the raw file. I suspect this would definitely be a v.5 addition, but being able to add bloom at the end without any rendertime hit would be great (I believe it's a post-process in Iray, but added with each iteration, which adds render time). Adjusting white and black levels in post is really excellent, too. A lot of this can be done just with a 32-bit EXR file from a canvas, but the bloom bit is tricky and having the interface as part of the render window is super convenient. My suspicion is that a lot of DS users would come to love the feature once they see it.

Have you looked at Render>Render Editor? Though that is limited, as far as I can tell, to the basic 8 bit per channel renders.

I hadn't until just now. It doesn't really duplicate the functions I'm talking about—no bloom, for example—and without 32-bit files, you can't do much to pull out shadow detail or reduce "hot"/overexposed areas. Eseentially, it's taking functionality that's already in the toning tab, and bringing it to a screen where you can work with the unprocessed final render.

• tkztkz Posts: 149

Tabs / multi files open at once. 

BG rendering - Being able to send a file to a BG render.... while being able to continue working in Daz to setup the next render.

Pinning an object to the floor... let's say a knee.... and then being able to move the rest of the body higher without losing contact to the ground.

Collission handling between characters

In the basic animation timeline, popping up a list of what is keyed at which frame when you mouse over a key dot.

Being able to make something dissapear in one frame without losing it in all the others... (maybe this is there already, but haven't found it if it is...)

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

I would really like the drop to floor command to actually drop the character to the ground rather than hover an inch above or into the floor.

What I HATE about the Drop to Floor tool is that when your making poses it drop's the Base to the floor rather than using the Hip region.  So then you have to go and copy the Base dropped numbers, zero that out and then paste that into the Hip region to get a proper Drop to Floor! Grrrrrr and yea, sometimes it's off a bit anyways.

• NathanomirNathanomir Posts: 122

1. The ability to stop, save, close, reopen, and relaunch Iray at any time. Similar to Luxrender. This may be out of DAZ's control.

2. Along those lines, Iray as separate "program" from Studio, so once the render is underway, we can close Studio to save resources but let Iray keep on cooking. This also may be out of DAZ's control.

3. An easier to read Surfaces interface. For those of us with not so good eyesight, it's a bit of a pain to try to read all those sliders.

1. The ability to stop, save, close, reopen, and relaunch Iray at any time. Similar to Luxrender. This may be out of DAZ's control.

2. Along those lines, Iray as separate "program" from Studio, so once the render is underway, we can close Studio to save resources but let Iray keep on cooking. This also may be out of DAZ's control.

3. An easier to read Surfaces interface. For those of us with not so good eyesight, it's a bit of a pain to try to read all those sliders.

1 and 2 definitely, and 3 would be useful I expect at times. :)

tkz said:

BG rendering - Being able to send a file to a BG render.... while being able to continue working in Daz to setup the next render.

Pinning an object to the floor... let's say a knee.... and then being able to move the rest of the body higher without losing contact to the ground.

In the basic animation timeline, popping up a list of what is keyed at which frame when you mouse over a key dot.

Being able to make something dissapear in one frame without losing it in all the others... (maybe this is there already, but haven't found it if it is...)

You can open multiple copies of Daz, and I do on a regular basis; four is the most I've had open at any time, no clue if there is a limit.

• nicstt said:

tkz said:

You can open multiple copies of Daz, and I do on a regular basis; four is the most I've had open at any time, no clue if there is a limit.

The one you highlighted is actually possible with the stand alone renderer options that exist. Its' possible for free for 3Delight, but rather expensive for Iray.

• It's not a terribly practical approach, but you can have diffrent folders showing in different activities ("rooms") - however, going back will step through the foldrs opened in each visited activity.

For slow machines this is a torture.

• Fixme12Fixme12 Posts: 589
    tkz said:

+1

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,533

- Better cartoon shaders as Dazstudio default

This.  I want to see a comic book render setting like Poser and Blender have. 

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    tkdrobert said:

- Better cartoon shaders as Dazstudio default

This.  I want to see a comic book render setting like Poser and Blender have. 

I would like that too

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037

THESE ARE MY DEMANDS FOR DAZ STUDIO 5:

1)  7 - 8" x 10" photos of Kelly Clarkson in a bathing suit along with each download of the new DAZ3D 5, nothing too sexy but tasteful holding a jar of peanuts.

B) For them to bring back "The Greatest American Hero" tv series with Alan Tudyck in the role of teacher Ralph Hinkley, Gina Torres as lawyer Pam Davidson, and Nathan Fillion as FBI agent Bill Maxwell.

$) To make the tags left on mattresses not only legal to pull off but edible.

)) Oatmeal creme pies....dozens of them.

Well, I'm waiting. :)

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

HAHAHAHA  You are too funny

• WitchStormWitchStorm Posts: 186

A version that won't crash my computer. And, not connected to the Cloud.

• Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378

Still waiting for a "create art" button.  laugh

But I'll probably get a "create Victoria naked in a tent with a sword" button.  With an option for "barebelly" (I'm sure we still need it even if she's naked) and radio buttons for "tent/temple/budoir/house of parliament", "sword/knife/gun/fryingpan/winebottle/fountainpen/powerdrill".  Extra beta testing time needed for the "highheels/higherheels/platformsandals" option as well as the slider for "bikini-string thickness".wink

Okay, seriously:  Easier to read fonts and graphical elements.  Do that for me and I'll buy you all lunch the next time I'm in Utah.  Thank you very much!

nicstt said:

tkz said:

The one you highlighted is actually possible with the stand alone renderer options that exist. Its' possible for free for 3Delight, but rather expensive for Iray.

I use IRAY, not 3Delight. So whilst having multiple instances has a cost in system resources, it doesn't stop it being something folks can do.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,890

I'd like some sort of set of 'projectors' that could change autofit and help clothing fall more naturally. Like a shape/clone/projector/?? around women's busts that would look something like a barbie doll -- this would let clothing 'fall' off the bustline rather than the usual clingwrap. But also, say, skirt projectors and whatnot. For men, similar things to smooth out clothing so it doesn't cling around biceps and muscle definition, doesn't bunch up around shoulders, etc.

I have a bunch of items that solve these problems in clunky ways, but it's the sort of thing I'd love to see integrated into figures or the core application.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    RKane_1 said:

THESE ARE MY DEMANDS FOR DAZ STUDIO 5:

1)  7 - 8" x 10" photos of Kelly Clarkson in a bathing suit along with each download of the new DAZ3D 5, nothing too sexy but tasteful holding a jar of peanuts.

B) For them to bring back "The Greatest American Hero" tv series with Alan Tudyck in the role of teacher Ralph Hinkley, Gina Torres as lawyer Pam Davidson, and Nathan Fillion as FBI agent Bill Maxwell.

$) To make the tags left on mattresses not only legal to pull off but edible.

)) Oatmeal creme pies....dozens of them.

Well, I'm waiting. :)

$) has been available since version 4.8.16.32.64

*burp*

...think I missed that beta.

.I'd go for a Make Coffee Button for those all night work sessions.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    kyoto kid said:

...think I missed that beta.

.I'd go for a Make Coffee Button for those all night work sessions.

Is your system water-cooled?

..nah, though planning on making some upgrades.