Hexagon 2.5.2.109, General Release!

135

Comments

  • SF-Design said:

    yes here the were in systemdrive\users\USERNAME\appdata\roaming\daz\hexagon

    might be different depending on the windows version you are using, I am on WIndows 10

    they should be in the usual profile folder for your windows user name and usally in Roaming I gues

     

    SF-Design said:

    yes here the were in systemdrive\users\USERNAME\appdata\roaming\daz\hexagon

    might be different depending on the windows version you are using, I am on WIndows 10

    they should be in the usual profile folder for your windows user name and usally in Roaming I gues

    I am a Mac guy! Thanks though.

    oh ok, then you do not have that folders

  • I'm using this release, Hexagon 2.5.2.109, and am getting crashes a lot, just like when using the previous version. I am using a model that has only 350 faces. When I try to use Edge Tools, it always crashes. Is this the proper place to report bugs? I can send more information, but I don't want to get the "wrong thread noob" reply.

  • Candy-Boy said:

    I'm using this release, Hexagon 2.5.2.109, and am getting crashes a lot, just like when using the previous version. I am using a model that has only 350 faces. When I try to use Edge Tools, it always crashes. Is this the proper place to report bugs? I can send more information, but I don't want to get the "wrong thread noob" reply.

    Bug reports go here:

    https://www.daz3d.com/help/help-contact-us

  • de3ande3an Posts: 848

    Chamfering vertexes crashes Hexagon 2.5.2.109

    Here’s something that used to work in Hexagon 2.5.1.79 but now crashes the new version. I’d appreciate it if some of you could go through the 8 steps below and confirm that it also crashes for you. My testing was done on the Macintosh version, so it would be good to have others test both Mac and Windows versions.

    Please follow the steps exactly to keep variables at a minimum.
    (See the image for guidance.)

    Thanks.

    1 - Launch Hexagon 2.5.2.109
    2 - Using the 3D Primitives, create a cube and click Accept.
    3 - Toggle the “transparent display of sub-selections” ON so that you will be able to see through the cube while editing.
    4 - From the Selection Mode pallet chose “Select Points”.
    5 - Select all 8 vertex points of the cube.
    6 - From the Surface Modeling tab chose “Chamfer”.
    7 - In the Properties window, locate the Radius parameter and click on its Up Arrow three times, incrementing the radius setting to a higher value than the default.
    8 - Click “Accept”
    9 - Hexagon crashes.


    Notes:
    * Chamfering a single vertex also seem to cause a crash.
    * Using the up arrow to increase the Radius seems to be important.
    * If the Radius value is left at the default, then the chamfer is successful.
    * If the Radius value up arrow is only clicked once, then the chamfer is successful.
    * If a chamfer is created successfully (as in the above examples), then performing an Undo usually causes a crash.
    * Sometimes jumping out of Hexagon into another application, then back into Hexagon before clicking the Accept button will allow the chamfer to complete. (But this does not seem to be repeatable.)

     

    chamfer_points_crash.png
    1270 x 979 - 234K
  • ShawnDriscollShawnDriscoll Posts: 338
    edited February 2018

    de3an,

    Your exact steps worked fine for me in Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. No crashes what so ever.

    One bit of difference though than your image. My new chamfered corners have their normals reversed. And my Form0 does not indicate that any DG was stored for collapsing or cancelling. I used Restricted DG like you did.

    Post edited by ShawnDriscoll on
  • de3ande3an Posts: 848

    de3an,

    Your exact steps worked fine for me in Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. No crashes what so ever.

    One bit of difference though than your image. My new chamfered corners have their normals reversed. And my Form0 does not indicate that any DG was stored for collapsing or cancelling. I used Restricted DG like you did.

     

    Thanks Shawn.

    Indeed, the chamfered corners have reversed normals for me also (if I complete the chamfer by not increasing the Radius value). However, the old 2.5.1.79 version had this problem also.

    For me, Form0 shows Dynamic Geometry applied during the Chamfer operation, but it is removed immediately after clicking the Accept button. My image doesn't show this because the screen-capture was taken just before Accepting the operation (otherwise the crash occurs and there would be nothing left on the screen to capture). The 2.5.1.79 version does this as well, but does not crash.

    This could end up being a "Macintosh only" bug. I'd like to see a few other reports (both platforms) before submitting a bug report.

    Thanks.

  • hgchgc Posts: 4
    hgc said:

    I was expecting improved stability, after so many time without updates and...  just opening and closing the program makes it crash!!!
    My personal opinion as 12+ years of C++ proffesional developer: people of DAZ Studio, please implement unit automated test to check you do not break existing features! That's the very basics of software development Q&A...

    People were reporting improved stability with the beta, and not (at least in public) reporting issues - that's why that version was promoted to a general release. If you are seeing crashes please report them to Daz, via a support ticket.

    I would avoid making assumptions about what Daz does or doesn't do for testing in general - though i dos eem to recall references to unit testing in the DS change logs at least.

    Thank you Richard for the clarification. You are right, it could be another issue. I will report it through the right channel.

     

  • de3an said:

    Chamfering vertexes crashes Hexagon 2.5.2.109

    Here’s something that used to work in Hexagon 2.5.1.79 but now crashes the new version. I’d appreciate it if some of you could go through the 8 steps below and confirm that it also crashes for you. My testing was done on the Macintosh version, so it would be good to have others test both Mac and Windows versions.

    Please follow the steps exactly to keep variables at a minimum.
    (See the image for guidance.)

    Thanks.

    1 - Launch Hexagon 2.5.2.109
    2 - Using the 3D Primitives, create a cube and click Accept.
    3 - Toggle the “transparent display of sub-selections” ON so that you will be able to see through the cube while editing.
    4 - From the Selection Mode pallet chose “Select Points”.
    5 - Select all 8 vertex points of the cube.
    6 - From the Surface Modeling tab chose “Chamfer”.
    7 - In the Properties window, locate the Radius parameter and click on its Up Arrow three times, incrementing the radius setting to a higher value than the default.
    8 - Click “Accept”
    9 - Hexagon crashes.


    Notes:
    * Chamfering a single vertex also seem to cause a crash.
    * Using the up arrow to increase the Radius seems to be important.
    * If the Radius value is left at the default, then the chamfer is successful.
    * If the Radius value up arrow is only clicked once, then the chamfer is successful.
    * If a chamfer is created successfully (as in the above examples), then performing an Undo usually causes a crash.
    * Sometimes jumping out of Hexagon into another application, then back into Hexagon before clicking the Accept button will allow the chamfer to complete. (But this does not seem to be repeatable.)

     

     

  • Yep this happens for me too. Using a Mac

     

  • de3ande3an Posts: 848

    Yep this happens for me too. Using a Mac

     

    Thanks for the confirmation.

    Now, if another Windows user would test this, It would help determine if it is just happening on the Mac version.

     

  • Just tried it on my Windows PC and it works fine - no crash.

    Just out of curiosity, what happens if you Apply, Click on the lightning bolt and Accept.

  • jag11jag11 Posts: 748
    de3an said:

    Yep this happens for me too. Using a Mac

     

    Thanks for the confirmation.

    Now, if another Windows user would test this, It would help determine if it is just happening on the Mac version.

     

    No crash for me, too.

    Are there any plans to incorporate scripting to Hex?

  • jag11 said:
    Are there any plans to incorporate scripting to Hex?

    You can submit it as a Feature Request.

  • de3ande3an Posts: 848

    Just tried it on my Windows PC and it works fine - no crash.

    Just out of curiosity, what happens if you Apply, Click on the lightning bolt and Accept.

     

    Thanks for testing this.

    If I "Apply", and then click on the lightning bolt (collapse the dynamic geometry), Hexagon crashes (before clicking "Accept"). So perhaps collapsing the DG under these conditions is the root cause of the crash. It's also interesting that the Radius value "up-arrow" must be clicked three times before the crash will occur.

    At any rate, it appears that this is a Macintosh version issue.

    I'll attempt to submit a bug report. Unfortunately, I haven't had much success in the past getting things fixed by following the current reporting procedure (are you listening DAZ reps?).

  • ShawnDriscollShawnDriscoll Posts: 338
    edited February 2018

    Could be that a third click ends up being a NaN calculation on the Mac version. Someone should verify the math library used for that version of OSX, just to be certain.

     

    It took DAZ ten years to fix the bugs I reported to them using the bug reporting. It just takes time for them to get programmers. Should be a lot quicker, now that they have programmers again.

    Post edited by ShawnDriscoll on
  • de3ande3an Posts: 848

    I've discovered that if you work in Full DG mode, the Chamfer crash will not occur until you manually collapse the DG (which you must do from time to time during modeling).

    Also, since the chamfered corners all have reversed normals, perhaps collapsing the dynamic geometry with the normals reversed is part of the problem. Unfortunately, you cannot unify the normals until after the DG is collapsed, so there's no way to test that theory.

     

  • In Windows, all normals will just flip when collapsing DG. If models are not unified. Hopefully, it's not a video driver issue on Mac.

  • de3ande3an Posts: 848

    In Windows, all normals will just flip when collapsing DG. If models are not unified.

    Really!?... Yet another difference between the Windows and Mac code. sad

    Hopefully, it's not a video driver issue on Mac.

    I don't think so, since the "Orient Normals" tool reveals that the polys are truly reversed (as in the attached image), and not just a video artifact.

    In this image I was able to successfully chamfer (and collapse) one vertex by only clicking twice on the Range up-arrow instead of three or more times. At this point I can "Unify Normals" and every thing looks fine.

    reversed_normals_on_vertex_chamfer.png
    1381 x 1082 - 269K
  • SET PIVOT HELP.

    I am trying to set the pivot however when I select Bounding Box Selection, I don't get the menu below the Bbox Selection. I neither get the advanced selection menu. Does anyone know how to make these visible?

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/xi9zo6bhhab34m2/Bbox%20Selection%20Menu.png?dl=0

  • Candy-Boy said:

    SET PIVOT HELP.

    I am trying to set the pivot however when I select Bounding Box Selection, I don't get the menu below the Bbox Selection. I neither get the advanced selection menu. Does anyone know how to make these visible?

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/xi9zo6bhhab34m2/Bbox%20Selection%20Menu.png?dl=0

    Those widgets are from Hexagon 1.21. I don't have 2.5 handy right now to post how to get to them. The thread answering this already is buried somewhere.

  • Candy-Boy said:

    SET PIVOT HELP.

    I am trying to set the pivot however when I select Bounding Box Selection, I don't get the menu below the Bbox Selection. I neither get the advanced selection menu. Does anyone know how to make these visible?

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/xi9zo6bhhab34m2/Bbox%20Selection%20Menu.png?dl=0

    Those widgets are from Hexagon 1.21. I don't have 2.5 handy right now to post how to get to them. The thread answering this already is buried somewhere.

    Thank you, kind sir. I will go a thread diving to see what I can find.

  • I cannot really remember 2.1 but I think I've found most of the icons on the screen grab you posted.

    The +/- increase the selection, these are number pad key presses, and in the selection menu, along with he INV and 1/n. The lightning bolt is to confirm DG.

     

    pivot menu.jpg
    1910 x 1009 - 336K
  • I cannot really remember 2.1 but I think I've found most of the icons on the screen grab you posted.

    The +/- increase the selection, these are number pad key presses, and in the selection menu, along with he INV and 1/n. The lightning bolt is to confirm DG.

     

    Wee Dangerous Johnson, thank you so much! I didn't bother to look at the item properties in the scene panel. This is great! I am trying to place objects along a plane and doing it has been so tedious because I couldn't find these tools! Thanks again for your kindness!

  • Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,253
    edited February 2018

    Candy Boy, are you trying to model/place something on the ground plane ?

    If so, if you've modeled say a chair you could do this -

    Create a cube, move it so the top face is below the floor grid. Select the top face and in the Properites Panel give the Y co-ords (green) 0.00. Then centre the object X & Z

    Then take the bottom face of a chair leg (my example) and use the "Lay On Tool" in the Utilites menu, click on leg face then the top face of the cube. The chair will move so the bottom (lowest face) is at X? Y=0.00.Z?.  In object mode changing the X and Z to 0.00 will zero the whole object.

    Here's a link to a Gary Miller tutorial where he explains things more/better.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=13&v=QcyRD4W0RMM

    If I got your problem wrong please start a new thread, pictures (screen grabs) will come in handy :)

    Just made a quick video (no sound but with captions) - Hope this helps :)

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLbUvcOpOwA&feature=youtu.be

    Post edited by Wee Dangerous John on
  • Hey Wee Dangerous John, 

    Thanks for both of the videos. I watched them both and learned a lot. I am doing something similar but the plane is at an angle. Still, the same principle seems to apply. I will be posting my model soon. Thanks everyone!

  • ShelLuserShelLuser Posts: 230

    I just want to thank you guys for still supporting this wonderful piece of software!

    When I got started with Daz Studio (as a hobbyist) I wanted as much out of my experience as possible so I ended up buying into Hexagon and Bryce. And I never stopped using them. Hex may not be perfect, but for me it has always been a lot better than more modern counterparts (this is not meant as a sneer, but I'll take Hexagon over Blender any day of the week). I don't upgrade regularly and therefor I'm usually a little behind the news, but today I discovered DS 4.10 and the latest Hexagon. And I really enjoy what I'm seeing so far.

    So thanks again, I think it's really wonderful news that you guys haven't given up on this awesome program!

  • SweetleafSweetleaf Posts: 28
    edited March 2018

    Downloaded, fresh install.  Drag cube primitive out, set it to 100, 2.5, 100.  Extract edge simply, 2.5 in.  Fast extrude the two small top surfaces up and boop, reversed normals all over the place.

    Tried it again restarting hex and it did it properly the second time.

    screen.jpg
    1380 x 897 - 32K
    Post edited by Sweetleaf on
  • add fbx import/export function. Remove obsolete second life tab.

  • Reporting a bug thats is as old as the program is a very veryveryveryvery old bug veryveryveryveryvery annoying too. opening the program opens  veryveryveryvery tiny the setting to open maximized STILL DOESNT WORK. i would have gladly REREPORTED THE BUG But thier is no report bug function in my copy of hexagon so please passs this along for the like 3 millionth time...and you really should be ashamed to exept money for this program considering just how many old bugs remain. Dont get me wrong i love hex its the best 3d modeling program on the planet to learn 3d modeing on please make it work as designed though. 

    Hexagon 3 millionyearold bug.jpg
    1045 x 1080 - 524K
  • Artman I'm no techy so please take this with a pinch of salt (hopefully someone will pop in and tell us). I've never had the workarea that small but I think it has something to do with screen resolution.

    Report the bug here - https://www.daz3d.com/help/help-contact-us

    But hopefully it will be fixed with the new build.

Sign In or Register to comment.