Can female head morphs be applied to male characters?

k410k410 Posts: 75

Can female head morphs be applied to male characters?

For instance, I think Alina for G8F by Vyusur is very cool, and I wonder what her brother(s) would look like ...

Thanks!

Comments

• SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384

With a mouse click? No.

The files used to load the characters, usually .duf files, are specific to and contain references to the figures they were designed for. For example, if you had nothing in your scene and clicked on the Alina character file in your library, G8F would load with the Alina character applied. If, alternatively, you had a base G8F character already loaded in your scene and selected, and you clicked on the Alina file, you would get a popup dialogue asking whether you wanted to apply the character morph to the existing figure in your scene, or load an additional one. But if you also had a G8M figure loaded and selected, and clicked on the Alina character file, DAZ Studio would ignore the G8M figure and automatically load a new G8F, with the Alina character applied. DAZ Studio is being told in the Alina .duf file to apply that character morph to a copy of G8F. Now whether there might be some jiggery-pokery possible to get that character morph to work on G8M I cannot say, but it certainly wouldn't be easy, if possible at all. And even if you could get it to work, there is a distinct possibility would not be a recognizable male version of Alina, but something altogether different and not necessarily desirable. And then there is the issue of the materials. The G8F materials will actually load on a G8M figure, but they won't fit properly without tearing. Again, there could be some workaround, but I'm guessing you don't really want to get involved with complicated procedures that may not yield the results that you are expecting, as a new user.

• Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,604

What SixDs say is correct but I thought I would expand on it a bit. There are two ways of making characters. Creators can use existing morph packages and make a character preset that adjusts the morphs on parts of the face and body. Or they can create a custom morph that reshapes the figure how they want it. And somethimes they combine the two methods.

Custom morphs will only work on the figure they were made for. Daz Studio does have tools to convert morphs to work on other figures but the process is quite complicated. When Genesis 8 was released there were threads in the forum on how to convert Genesis 3 morphs to Genesis 8. If you are a new user I wouldn't recommend trying this until you are more familiar with using Daz Studio.

For figures that use existing morph packages you have the problem that the male figures might not have the same morphs as the female figures.

You can buy addons that allow you to use materials made for one figure on a different figure. I think this one lets you swap materials between Genesis 8 male and female:

https://www.daz3d.com/genesis-8-uv-swap-male-and-female-base

As SixDs says the whole process is complicated and might not give you the results you expect.

• You can convert morphs to the other sex through the transfer utility. I do it all the time. There's lots of info out there.
  • k410k410 Posts: 75
    edited January 2018

All, thanks very much for your replies!  I'll put this idea on hold until I'm more familiar with DS.  

Post edited by k410 on
  • CaxarCaxar Posts: 49
    You can convert morphs to the other sex through the transfer utility. I do it all the time. There's lots of info out there.

Where? Its not easy to find