More Non-photorealisitic Renders (NPR II)

Comments

• csaacsaa Posts: 812
    edited April 2021

@artini,

Learning a new tool takes a lot of investment in time and effort. I really appreciate the info you've shred on Unity. It opens up onramps for someone new to it to try out UNITY NPR.

Cheers!

Post edited by csaa on
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,837
    edited May 2021

Hi @juvesatriani and @dmcvocation.

I just wonder, if you have installed Unity 2019.4.25 on your computers?

I plan to prepare a short how to / introduction / recipe about how to start rendering in Unity and create your first scene.

Please let me know, if you are interested.

Together with all of your skills, we could improve our NPR art and you could start to explore the wonderful world of Unity.

Do not be afraid, I will try to avoid commercial items from Unity Asset store and base my lessons on the free ones.

Post edited by Artini on
    edited May 2021

Another question to you.

Do you have any particular Genesis 8 characters from Daz Originals, that you have bought from Daz 3D store and like?

I would like to use one female and one male Genesis 8 based characters with iray materials in my recipes.

One need to edit materials a little in Unity, so knowing, that you could repeat my steps on your own help.

Otherwise I will choose myself.

Post edited by Artini on
    edited May 2021

@artini,

I find that these days people have to master several tools to get the job done. For example, for several weeks now I've been getting up to speed on Unreal. Increasingly I've seen the limitations of cell shaders in Daz, and I wanted to try NPR on Unreal with Daz assets. If Unreal NPR isn't what I hope it would be, I'll next try Blender (thanks to what @juvesatriani shared). That's the evaluation plan I had in mind until you introduced NPR with Unity.

Which one is the right tool, UE4, Blender or Unity ? At this point I'm still evaluating them ... in that order.

I'm explaining all this because I didn't want to keep you from going ahead and exploring Unity NPR. I am very curious about this and eagerly hope to follow your work.

Cheers!

Post edited by csaa on
  • juvesatrianijuvesatriani Posts: 556
    edited May 2021

Artini said:

I plan to prepare a short how to / introduction / recipe about how to start rendering in Unity and create your first scene.

Together with all of your skills, we could improve our NPR art and you could start to explore the wonderful world of Unity.

Do not be afraid, I will try to avoid commercial items from Unity Asset store and base my lessons on the free ones.

Yeah I would love for understand the basic stuff . I`ve seen your renders in Unity forum and I really like it . Will DL the unity tomorrow . 

Something I wanna ask is difference between recent version with 2019.4.25 f1 . You can answer in your thread in UNITY forum though or in here ...

Post edited by juvesatriani on

juvesatriani said:

Artini said:

Yeah I would love for understand the basic stuff . I`ve seen your renders in Unity forum and I really like it . Will DL the unity tomorrow . 

Something I wanna ask is difference between recent version with 2019.4.25 f1 . You can answer in your thread in UNITY forum though or in here ...

Hi, I have responded in Unity forum thread. Let's keep discussion there.

dmcvocation said:

@artini,

I find that these days people have to master several tools to get the job done. For example, for several weeks now I've been getting up to speed on Unreal. Increasingly I've seen the limitations of cell shaders in Daz, and I wanted to try NPR on Unreal with Daz assets. If Unreal NPR isn't what I hope it would be, I'll next try Blender (thanks to what @juvesatriani shared). That's the evaluation plan I had in mind until you introduced NPR with Unity.

Which one is the right tool, UE4, Blender or Unity ? At this point I'm still evaluating them ... in that order.

I'm explaining all this because I didn't want to keep you from going ahead and exploring Unity NPR. I am very curious about this and eagerly hope to follow your work.

Cheers!

Great, please keep us updated on your experiences with UE4. I just do not have enough free time to use everything, I am interested in.

edited May 2021

Here my attempt to get more crunchy pen look . The base Toon layer pass created using my JS multipass . And Outline by daz native scripted outline +Photoshop Line generator and randomly erase some line parts

Grunge

Crunchy Pem.jpg
    1500 x 2000 - 2M
    edited May 2021

Jsmooth Version

Here same character in recent version of my JSmooth Version and Photoshop action companion . It seems hair shader still need correction before I push the update 

JSSmoothAoiki.jpg
    1600 x 2263 - 2M

juvesatriani said:

Here my attempt to get more crunchy pen look . The base Toon layer pass created using my JS multipass . And Outline by daz native scripted outline +Photoshop Line generator and randomly erase some line parts

Grunge

Like it very much - well done.

@juvesatriani,

Those are great renders!

• juvesatriani said:

Grunge

Verrrrrry cool look. The color blocking is nice and solid, yet there are still consistent highlights on the jacket and belt which give it additional dimension. The character design is also very memorable. Plus, from a practical side, having two-tone hair will make her pop against different backgrounds – that seems like something you could play around with. I think you know this, but the only part that's not as strong are the outlines on her hair. Whereas everthing else is nice and solid, the hair outlines are a bit wonky. But that's a small issue, really. You're really making some great strides here!

• kenmokenmo Posts: 895

juvesatriani said:

Grunge

Looks awesome. Love this style you've achieved... 

juvesatriani said:

Grunge

Looks awesome. Love this style you've achieved... 

APE WITH THE GOLD HELMET

Frank Frazetta is one of my most favorite artists of all time. When I was a young lad of 19 I worked part time at the Sears warehouse on Mumford Road while attend Saint Mary's University. Now that I was earning my own money I could finally purchase my parents a real Christmas present with my hard earned pennies.

For Christmas I purchased them a print copy of Rembrandt's "Man With the Golden Helmet" from the Sears catalogue. Having an employee discount was also incentive. I've always loved this painting.

I often wondered whant the painting would have looked like if Frazetta painted it. Well here is my feeble attempt.

I created this all 100% digitally using Daz Studio 4.9 (3D Delight), Genesis 1 Gorilla, Photoshop CC 2021 & ArtRage 6.

Ape with Gold Helmet FINAL {2021}=KRM02.jpg
    1400 x 1400 - 591K
    edited May 2021

Here's a later version of this image "APE WITH THE GOLD HELMET"

Post edited by kenmo on

Looks interesting, @kenmo.

edited May 2021

Thanks guys for nice words and tips to improve my works . @Kenmo Great and awesome APE render !!

Here another mashup between pwToon mutlipass render and bunch of photoshop color stacks

Engine

Engine.jpg
    2000 x 851 - 1M

juvesatriani - love the comic book / toon effects...

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    edited May 2021

Mad wind

No postwork

Mad_wind.jpg
    1300 x 1690 - 2M
    Post edited by Vyusur on

Vyusur said:

Mad wind

No postwork

Love it!!! I`m always amazed  when people can do magic without photoshop or other postwork processing editor

juvesatriani said:

Vyusur said:

Mad wind

No postwork

Love it!!! I`m always amazed  when people can do magic without photoshop or other postwork processing editor

Thank you so much!

Vyusur said:

Mad wind

No postwork

Looks good!!!

kenmo said:

Vyusur said:

Mad wind

No postwork

Looks good!!!

Thank you!

edited May 2021

Lost Warrior

Daz Studio 4.15, Photoshop CC 2021, ArtRage 6

Lost Warrior {2021}=KRM02.jpg
    1400 x 1400 - 631K
    Post edited by kenmo on

I like your style, @kenmo, well done and good usage of the tools.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,324

juvesatriani said:

Grunge

This is an excellent look. Very professional. Highlight her eyes a bit.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,888

It's been an age, but here's another PWToon effort.

One thing I am liking about content lately is that, what with the 3dl transmap bug (multiple overlapping opacity mapped items causing massive slowdowns), the shift to fibermesh and solid modeled leaves and whatnot actually makes recent content EASIER to use in 3dl than some older content.

• pavsikakyjpavsikakyj Posts: 139
    edited May 2021

PW toon+Photoshop+Photodonut

castle2.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 874K
    Post edited by pavsikakyj on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,888

Using my OsoToon

This discussion has been closed.