More Non-photorealisitic Renders (NPR II)

Comments

• A few tests in Zbrush with the daz sub dragon

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/e3/179f5fbb6f10dae9e035a6c15ae013.jpg

This is very interesting. ZBrush has been on my list for a while now, and every time they have a sale I get really tempted (but the $800+ price tag keeps me at bay – at least until the end of the year when I have finished paying off my car and some other purchases). I'm very intrigued because it is supposed to integrate will with Manga Studio (in other words, you can use Manga Studio (Clip Studio Paint) to draw directly on the models).

So, can you pose the figures in ZBrush, or are you posing them in Daz Studio and then importing them as OBJs?

Have you seen this video on Cel Shading? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4_Sc5NRUj0

• tkdrobert said:

Getting better, but I'm still not there.  One day I'll make a Spiderman (and Batman) render that I'm 100% happy with.

https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/f/000cdf6c-7d82-4aea-b07b-af67226be1bc/ddaueep-c0289cdd-0f5e-4727-b08b-f4c2b1f55b71.png/v1/fill/w_600,h_750,strp/spiderman5_by_tkdrobert_ddaueep-fullview.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzUwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvMDAwY2RmNmMtN2Q4Mi00YWVhLWIwN2ItYWY2NzIyNmJlMWJjXC9kZGF1ZWVwLWMwMjg5Y2RkLTBmNWUtNDcyNy1iMDhiLWY0YzJiMWY1NWI3MS5wbmciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9NjAwIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmltYWdlLm9wZXJhdGlvbnMiXX0.Oq87wzp49iBDEplQX9L_NOqZ3jjHHemBZxSIQbaCD1g

Really cool Spidey! Colors are bright and clear and the background buildings look like they came right out of a comic. I also love the little touch of making the webbing smaller (to indicate distance) on that little strand of webbing to our far right. The one thing I would suggest is to go back and look at the original Spider-Man comics. They don't show his ears as lumps under the mask: his head is always just an oval. If you were going for a more photoreal look, I think the ear lumps would be okay, but with the classic comic look I would suggest dialing them down.

I really like this one, though, and I've simply got to take the time to download that web brush!

• DaremoK3 said:

Mike: I know I am late on this, but thank you, for your comments on my last postings way back on page 36. You don't really need another ego boost, but man, your Galaxy Prime book cover turned out awesome  --  I loved watching you develop that one, and how you completed it. No sir, you got mad skills! Gotta go  --  baking some NPR...

We have missed you, bud! You always bring a lot to the discussions here. Thanks for the comments on the Galaxy Prime cover. I put a lot of work into it so it is nice to know it paid off in the end with something that garners a response from people. The whole digital painting thing is very new to me, but something that I have wanted to try for a long time. When I look at it I see most of the "flaws" first. But as time passes I do manage to look at the successful parts first.

DaremoK3 said:

"I've been going back and forth, between near photo-realism, or comic; or graphic novel or novel with some pics; trying to get it perfect before starting."

The term comic vs graphic novel as a style has always bugged me -- a comic is a serial endeavour while a graphic novel is an illustrated novel that adheres to the novel convention of beginning, middle, and ending regardless of artistic style used for either.  I have no  desire to create a comic (serialized work), but I have been working on several graphic novels for decades -- one is even a trilogy series.

For me, this attempt to define "graphic novel" versus "comic book" is a black hole. Meaning lots of good ideas and discussions take place but, ultimately, they get sucked into the void without resulting in a solid definition of "What is a Graphic Novel?"  I say this because there are so many exceptions and deviations that make a simple definition difficult. For example, what about autobiographies? Is Persepolis a "novel"? I think you could make a case that it is a novelization of her life, but it really is non-fiction. But what about Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud? It is a long-form non-fictional work about comics. Definitely not a "novel" in any sense of the word. And then we hit things like Frank Miller's Ronin (which I just reread this past month). It was originally serialized as a six-issue mini-series, but it was clearly designed to be read as a complete story. 

To this day, I do not have a solid definition of "What is a Graphic Novel." At least not an academic definition that can withstand scrutiny.

So, for me, I tend to work on this loose definition and use the term "Graphic Novel" to describe any long-form comic book. Mentally, I'm okay with defining "long-form" as anything with a page-count of 50 pages or more (although, truth be told, I'm much more comfortable if the work has 80+ pages). And I use the term "comic book" for anything shorter than that, and especially for anything intended to be serialized in the traditional stapled spine method.

BTW: I was talking to the guys at the comics shop recently and found out that they use the term "floppies" to describe the comics that are published monthly.  They use the term "trades" for anything printed with a square spine.

DaremoK3 said:

"And not following the advice to just doing something, even if it is bad; just do it and then make it better."

This...  So much this  --  take your time and get everything right first for you  --  only publish when you have nailed the look you are going for (and not what others believe should be 'your' look).  I'd rather view someone's finished singular style that took them forever to come to then reading someone's work where the work, images, artistic style is a moving target because they haven't figured it out yet.

In my eyes, you are off to a good start, but I am nobody, so take what I say with a grain of salt  --  good luck, and I look forward to more of your postings.

* EDIT :  Suggestions/critiques are good, but ultimately it is your work, so create what you like...

I definitely cannot and will not argue with you about your advice. I think it's good. It's not advice that would work for me, but I think it could help a lot of people. What I find interesting is that, essentially, you describe the mindsets of the Fine Artist in contrast to the Commercial Artist. By that, I mean that the Fine Artist must seek to find an inner voice or vision and not release the work until the final product has been refined to the point that it equals the original vision. In other words, "don't put it out there until it's ready." The Commercial Artist deals with deadlines and editors and additional feedback and puts it out there "as is" and then moves on to the next project, hoping to learn something from each publication or release of the work. 

I worked professionally as a print journalist when I was younger and I think that really shaped me as a commercial artist. Almost nothing I do actually captures the vision in my mind, but I put it out there anyway and hope that I learn enough along the way so that my next project is better. 

Anyway, thanks for the long, thoughtful posts. You always contribute a lot and I hope you'll swing back by sooner rather than later!

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,837

Ha, I've missed 109 posts here, congrats MMitchell cover looks wonderous. There's some beautiful gems I have missed.

I've been spending too much time in a real studio.... here's a carrara job to keep my eye in

photodonut and filter forge plus some hand work, different filters on different Carrara render passes

This looks amazing - well done.

• This is very interesting. ZBrush has been on my list for a while now, and every time they have a sale I get really tempted (but the $800+ price tag keeps me at bay – at least until the end of the year when I have finished paying off my car and some other purchases). I'm very intrigued because it is supposed to integrate will with Manga Studio (in other words, you can use Manga Studio (Clip Studio Paint) to draw directly on the models).

So, can you pose the figures in ZBrush, or are you posing them in Daz Studio and then importing them as OBJs?

Have you seen this video on Cel Shading? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4_Sc5NRUj0

I used Z brush years ago, and although it was great for sculpting I found it to be quite difficult to integrate with other software. The newer releases, such as R5 in the Youtube video, or 2018, 2019 versions make it so much easier to work with other software. The interface is still weird, but once you get used to it, I suppose it can be really helpful.

The new NPR shaders and blend styles are only available in the 2019 release. They are pretty good, and you can chnage the look of it through using various sliders.

I pose the models in Daz, which is still better than most software for posing and setting up stance positions for 3D models than most software. You have to export as an obj file to take into Z brush, and merge the UV maps down into a single image.

Posing in Z brush is quite difficult, as you are moving polygons through selections, it's much easier to reposition in Daz and re-export, but that's obviously time consuming.

You can use the polypaint tools in Z brush to paint materials, textures and height directly onto the model, which can give you some nice effects. The rendering is good and sharp. I am still evaluating it at the moment. It's got its pros and cons, but I've been wanting to learn Z brush for quite a while. The stuff the artists are designing over at Z brush Central is incredible.

If the results are better than what I can achieve in either Unity or Daz then I might seriously consider Z brush. I'll post more test renders when I produce them and let you know what I think.

• This is very interesting. ZBrush has been on my list for a while now, and every time they have a sale I get really tempted (but the $800+ price tag keeps me at bay – at least until the end of the year when I have finished paying off my car and some other purchases). I'm very intrigued because it is supposed to integrate will with Manga Studio (in other words, you can use Manga Studio (Clip Studio Paint) to draw directly on the models).

I used Z brush years ago, and although it was great for sculpting I found it to be quite difficult to integrate with other software. The newer releases, such as R5 in the Youtube video, or 2018, 2019 versions make it so much easier to work with other software. The interface is still weird, but once you get used to it, I suppose it can be really helpful.

The new NPR shaders and blend styles are only available in the 2019 release. They are pretty good, and you can chnage the look of it through using various sliders.

I pose the models in Daz, which is still better than most software for posing and setting up stance positions for 3D models than most software. You have to export as an obj file to take into Z brush, and merge the UV maps down into a single image.

Posing in Z brush is quite difficult, as you are moving polygons through selections, it's much easier to reposition in Daz and re-export, but that's obviously time consuming.

You can use the polypaint tools in Z brush to paint materials, textures and height directly onto the model, which can give you some nice effects. The rendering is good and sharp. I am still evaluating it at the moment. It's got its pros and cons, but I've been wanting to learn Z brush for quite a while. The stuff the artists are designing over at Z brush Central is incredible.

If the results are better than what I can achieve in either Unity or Daz then I might seriously consider Z brush. I'll post more test renders when I produce them and let you know what I think.

Thank you very much for the info. The fact that it doesn't work with the rigging for poses is probably a good indication that this is not a tool I need to review at this time. At least not in the short term, because I already have tools I can use for sculpting the few props I need and I can use Blacksmith 3D for texturing (and since I work with simple b&w textures right now, it is more than adequate). 

Still... I see some big new and shiny thing and I just want to have it!

But... I think I'll resist for now until I see it deliver something I really can't live without.

Thanks again.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924

thank you mmitchell, artini et jepsonpeteCMT  :)

• mmitchell_houstonmmitchell_houston Posts: 2,472
    edited July 2019

Another hit! Love the little details and the way you nail that water-colored image look. His face is a little yellow for my taste, but the hair, lighting and pose are spot on. 

Post edited by mmitchell_houston on
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,837

Oh, yes. Another hit. Headwax at his best.

• EurocoinEurocoin Posts: 299

My latest - Alone

• Eurocoin said:

My latest - Alone

You really capture a sense of alienation and poverty. Nice job.

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,532
    edited July 2019

In some ways I worked really hard on this one and in other ways not so much.  I plan to revist this character as this is my favorite version of her.  I really started collecting the X-Men in the late 80's early 90's.

X-MEN: Rogue by tkdrobert

Post edited by tkdrobert on
  • vrba79vrba79 Posts: 1,297
    edited July 2019

PWGhost is a very underrated 3DL shader. 

Here it is being used for a minor character for my webcomic Mysterious Missouri. She'll only appear in a short, upcoming chapter.

The shader gets regular use in my comic, as one of the main character has a pet, who is a tiny ghost cat.

Ghost Jan.png
    1080 x 1290 - 723K
    Post edited by vrba79 on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,888

PWGhost is one of a handful of things I really miss when I do Iray stuff.

I have tried very hard to make something somilr... buuut no

• vrba79vrba79 Posts: 1,297
    Oso3D said:

PWGhost is one of a handful of things I really miss when I do Iray stuff.

I have tried very hard to make something somilr... buuut no

For now, I have no reason to migrate to Iray, and shaders like the PW series are exactly why. Single pass solutions that render almost faster than the time it takes me to type up the filename to save them under.

• MrPatrickMrPatrick Posts: 33

mmitchell_houston said:

I like the edits to the artwork. The lighter skin tone on the black guy is a definite improvement. Although I do like the thinner outlines a little more, I did like the original thicker ones, too. In both cases you created a style that would work. I would offer one last bit of advice regarding your script, and that is to consider that you have too much dialogue for a single panel. That sort of left-right balloon to balloon ping pong almost never works. This sort of scene calls for at least a full page, maybe more:

1. Close up on black guy with a clear view of his face: "Dog, I see no..."
    2. Close up on white guy: "Tellin' ya..."
    3. Wide panel showing what they are looking at, including the window in question. Black guy off Panel: "You mean the window..."
      White Guy off panel: "Yup. That one. He'll..."
    4. Medium shot with both guys (the panel you've already shown us above): BG: "All right. Your call. So what..."
      WG: "That's the plan. Better than sitting here..."
    5. Small panel with BG's face showing a grin: "You know I'm calling you..."
    6. The previous panel you showed us, with his hand in motion to give the signal. WG: "Only if you score... on Three."

At least that's how I would break it down to try to time the action to the beats of the dialogue. Just a thought. Looking forward to seeing a full page or two from you soon.

Thanks, this has given me some thought actually. Originally this was just for testing before going into the main storyline (which uses different clothes, props and location), but your suggestion has given me the idea of how to expand this to become the "past" story and the personality of the characters. I couldn't think of a good opening for how two dudes would meet up to talk about a job. So this will help that out. This past experience taking place in Africa; then "2 years later" (for example), and then into the meetup about the job.

DaremoK3 said:

MrPatrick :

I like the style you show -- But, I've always been partial to this look as opposed to a Phong or Raytraced (going for realism) in a 3D comic.  Then again, I don't care for comics that just slap real-world photos together for a comic neither -- yeah, I am biased towards artistic looks if one is going to do 3D comics.

I think your first image is stronger in regards to subject (character) vs secondary props and background -- I thought you utilized the subject outline technique, but your second picture is without this, so I may be mistaken.  I love the foreground to background, clean 3D to 2D (bad 3D details always takes me out of an image), and your staging looks great.

Your second image looks more flat or less 'pop' without it -- I think you need inklines (outline technique or otherwise) to make your subject matter stand out more.

I was going to say something about it looking horizontally compressed, but it is only your upload -- did you enter values in both horizontal and vertical parameters -- only enter horizontal (800 px or percentage trick) and it will auto-scale correctly so your image will look correct in forum without skewing -- Of course, clicking on it to full screen shows fine.

I both agree, and disagree with Mike regarding the second panel's dialogue.  Yes, he is correct that his suggestions would be great for pacing, but also, I have seen long dialogues for single panels where pacing is already well established (Japanese Manga, French GN's, American Indies -- not everything follows American comic conventions, let alone, DC/Marvel Cookbooks).

"I've been going back and forth, between near photo-realism, or comic; or graphic novel or novel with some pics; trying to get it perfect before starting."

The term comic vs graphic novel as a style has always bugged me -- a comic is a serial endeavour while a graphic novel is an illustrated novel that adheres to the novel convention of beginning, middle, and ending regardless of artistic style used for either.  I have no  desire to create a comic (serialized work), but I have been working on several graphic novels for decades -- one is even a trilogy series.

Which brings me to my final statement :

"And not following the advice to just doing something, even if it is bad; just do it and then make it better."

This...  So much this  --  take your time and get everything right first for you  --  only publish when you have nailed the look you are going for (and not what others believe should be 'your' look).  I'd rather view someone's finished singular style that took them forever to come to then reading someone's work where the work, images, artistic style is a moving target because they haven't figured it out yet.

In my eyes, you are off to a good start, but I am nobody, so take what I say with a grain of salt  --  good luck, and I look forward to more of your postings.

* EDIT :  Suggestions/critiques are good, but ultimately it is your work, so create what you like...

Thanks for the perspective.  Yeah, the first and second images do have some changes for comparisons. Such as the first one, I used the Stroke effect for the solid outlines, while the second went with a light blurred outline (using a gaussian blur of the character silhouettes). The lighting was different, namely I forgot which angle of the 'sun' I was using. Hence in the second image, the sun rather than face on, was behind.  Definitely a noticable difference.  I had wondered if in the first image, the main character stood out too much.  But does not appear to be the case.  So I'll go more with the first image effect.

Not sure as to why the picture came out compressed, but have removed the image sizing from the sourcecode. May have been due to the quote effect.  On my desktop appears fine, but on the phone, yeah, does come out incorrectly.

I do agree with terms of comic and graphic novel; though I will admit I do use them interchanglable ... which being pointed out there is a difference, I will take more care to avoid that.  blush
    I prefer a series with a story arc, but do agree, I want to avoid the sandbox episode effect.  The Babylon 5 TV series is an example of the format I prefer. A long story arc (in that case, 5 seasons), with some episodes as "fillers" if needed for breaks.  In the B5 series, the main characters mostly stayed throughout the series; which did still have somewhat a sandbox to it.  Whereas with The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones has helped to push to the mass that a storyline can continue without requiring all of the characters to remain.

Yes, I am hoping to get that right style of "drawing", without taking up too much time.  I had hoped that I would have time for such work, but the real work, travel, family and then fatigue just suck the energy out. So I think this process I am getting at, will keep the time down and thus can continue to produce visual content with the rest of the life-work-load. The good thing I like is that some mistakes can be made (be rendering, textures, sketches, lines, etc) and can be 'forgiven' (or masked by some touchups) as compared to real photo renders.  Along without needing a lot of stuff in the background, such as walking in a normal city during the day...

• MrPatrickMrPatrick Posts: 33
    edited July 2019

tkdrobert said:

Thank you.  I’ve bee trying to do a good Batman and Spidernan for some time.  I feel like I’m finally getting there.

Personally, I think your Batman pic is there.

Would like to comment of the image postings by others, but don't want to be running away with the postings.
    They all look good to me, especially the 'sketched' fly.

Post edited by MrPatrick on
  • duckbombduckbomb Posts: 585

Hello everybody!  I've been following along with these NPR threads since the first one, and I have to say how impressed I am with everybodies work!  I've really found a ton of inspiration, as well as motivation reading along with the conversation, and I'm nervous to show what I have but I think it's time that I stop being only a reader and jump in.  This was rendered in IRAY, and it wasn't done in an NPR kind of way, so if this doesn't count just let me know and I won't clutter the thread with any more.  I've done a ton of postwork, however, following many different processes I've learned from you all right here in these forums.  I do hope you like it!  Let me know!

I know it is really dark, and I'm actually colorblind so I hope the colors make sense.  I've tried doing the black and white thing, but even though I can't see most of the colors accurately I still think the colored version has more depth.  I don't think I'm very good working with straight values lol.

Ok, thanks!

House_Medium.png
    2560 x 1440 - 7M
  • DaremoK3DaremoK3 Posts: 798

duckbomb :

Welcome to the fold  --  That is a great first entry - I love it.

I don't think it is too dark at all.  It looks like a very good night scene, and you killed it with all the lighting - especially the lighting being thrown on the fence.

The style you came up with is terrific, and it totally fits in here - it is definitely NPR.  It doesn't matter what render engine you start with as long as you are trying for stylized renders whether via scripting within the engine, or any kind of post work.

Looking forward to future postings...

• DaremoK3DaremoK3 Posts: 798

Mike :

You make a great point  --  I'll leave the definitions to the experts who rate and catalog the works.

I agree there are now many variables for determinations, and it appears even more categories now, but I am going off what I learned from the industry in the late 1980's/early 1990's

• duckbomb said:

Hello everybody!  I've been following along with these NPR threads since the first one, and I have to say how impressed I am with everybodies work!  I've really found a ton of inspiration, as well as motivation reading along with the conversation, and I'm nervous to show what I have but I think it's time that I stop being only a reader and jump in.  This was rendered in IRAY, and it wasn't done in an NPR kind of way, so if this doesn't count just let me know and I won't clutter the thread with any more.  I've done a ton of postwork, however, following many different processes I've learned from you all right here in these forums.  I do hope you like it!  Let me know!

I know it is really dark, and I'm actually colorblind so I hope the colors make sense.  I've tried doing the black and white thing, but even though I can't see most of the colors accurately I still think the colored version has more depth.  I don't think I'm very good working with straight values lol.

Ok, thanks!

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/a1/1c9c6f53f56f8f748b272d5327f1e6.png

This is a great picture. The darker areas provide a nice contrast to the lights, which are nicely placed around the picture. It reminds me of one of those pictures where you contantly discover new things every time you look at it. Nice work.

It has a slight impressionistic art style, particularly around the garden lights and the cast light from the door window and over the door. But you have pretty much defined your own unique style.

Nicely composed, I think it would be great to see more of your artwork.

• thank you mmitchell, artini et jepsonpeteCMT  :)

This has a nice flat drawing effect. I have no idea how you created this, but it's really impressive.

Have you by any chance used Google Sketchup or sketchmake to create the backwalls, windows, etc?

The muted colours really add to the watercolour, or coloured pencil sketch effect you are going for here. Nice work.

This is a great picture. The darker areas provide a nice contrast to the lights, which are nicely placed around the picture. It reminds me of one of those pictures where you contantly discover new things every time you look at it. Nice work.

It has a slight impressionistic art style, particularly around the garden lights and the cast light from the door window and over the door. But you have pretty much defined your own unique style.

Nicely composed, I think it would be great to see more of your artwork.

Thank you very much!  I'm glad you like it, I've been focusing a ton of my postwork and I'm learning that there are a lot of things I don't understand about lights... I use the ghost light kit almost entirely here lol...  It's a frame in a whole page, when I finish up the page I'll post it here!  Thanks again!

DaremoK3 said:

Welcome to the fold  --  That is a great first entry - I love it.

I don't think it is too dark at all.  It looks like a very good night scene, and you killed it with all the lighting - especially the lighting being thrown on the fence.

The style you came up with is terrific, and it totally fits in here - it is definitely NPR.  It doesn't matter what render engine you start with as long as you are trying for stylized renders whether via scripting within the engine, or any kind of post work.

Looking forward to future postings...

Thanks for the warm welcome!  I've not done a ton of outdoor scenes, and I certainly learned a lot about how to try to balance dark and night.  I much prefer daytime/indoor scenes lol.  I'm also really glad to hear this counts as a NPR!  I've found things like the OSO Toon shader and LineRender discussions particularily helpful, and I felt more aligned with this side of things because of the heavy postwork process, so I'm stoked to be able to join in the conversation.  The light on the fence is a random light from my library tilted specifically out the window, I was afraid it was too harsh here, but I'm glad to hear you liked it!

Thanks for the encouragement!

edited July 2019
    duckbomb said:

I know it is really dark, and I'm actually colorblind so I hope the colors make sense.  I've tried doing the black and white thing, but even though I can't see most of the colors accurately I still think the colored version has more depth.  I don't think I'm very good working with straight values lol. Ok, thanks!

This is a really nice image, and I instantly got an impressionist vibe (probably assisted by the fact I recently saw the Van Gough exhibit here in Houston and I've been reading about Impressionist painters). This vibe is particularly strong at the porch light area where the effect really looks like stipled paint. I also really like the light on the bushes and the fence. I'm very impressed with this and very happy that you are joining the discussion. Did you think of adding any people inside the house? I kept looking at the windows hoping to spy someone doing something.

I'm looking forward to seeing more soon.

BTW: If you don't mine me asking, what is the degree to which you are color blind? I found out 10 years ago that my youngest brother is red/green color blind. We were both in our 40s and he had never mentioned it before. 

This is a really nice image, and I instantly got an impressionist vibe (probably assisted by the fact I recently saw the Van Gough exhibit here in Houston and I've been reading about Impressionist painters). This vibe is particularly strong at the porch light area where the effect really looks like stipled paint. I also really like the light on the bushes and the fence. I'm very impressed with this and very happy that you are joining the discussion. Did you think of adding any people inside the house? I kept looking at the windows hoping to spy someone doing something.

I'm looking forward to seeing more soon.

BTW: If you don't mine me asking, what is the degree to which you are color blind? I found out 10 years ago that my youngest brother is red/green color blind. We were both in our 40s and he had never mentioned it before. 

Thank you!  All of the images you've posted have been amazing, as well!  I had origionaly thought of going with B&W because of what you'd been doing, but in the end I couldn't ever get it dialed in right.  To get it posted up on this forum I had to shrink it way down, but the actual image is in 8K (for printing), and a lot of the stipled paint look is really small strokes that you can't see here...  The way the forum seems to handle pictures is... ok... but I do think it changed the vibe of what I had a litttle.  I'm so glad you liked it, though, and now I feel brave enough to post another.  My intention was to make a page where the camera zooms in to a guy in a chair there in the living room, but I'm still post-processing the whole thing.  I'll post it up when I'm done!  I didn't include him in this render, though, because I was pushing the polygon limit of my rather dated hardware. 

As far as the colorblind thing goes, I'm really color deficient, but that ususally requires a more detailed description so I just say "colorblind" beceause peopke know that.  For me, I can't see shades, and what I see is influenced by the light around it.  The best I can say is that I can pile up crayons from a 250 color box into about 13 piles of matching colors.  Where you'll see it in my renders is that in pictures that have a general "warm" color palette to them, my oranges will look red and my blues will look purple or even pink, because to me it looks right.  It also works in the opposite, where in warm palette paintings I'll over-compensate with the cool colors because everything looks muddy to me, and I end up with pictures that have a little more color than real-life.  Same thing with my clothes... I'll end up more colorful because I feel bland and monotone.  It's funny, considering the truth.

I'm also not super surprised to hear that you didn't know about it until an older age.  That is exactly how it worked for me, and I hear it all the time when I talk about it with people.  I think because it doesn't feel like a "disability" and doesn't really affect us (for the most part), it is something that can either go undiagnosed for a really long time, or people don't even really feel the need to bring it up.  Some of my close friends probably don't even know, I just brought it up here because I offered a picture up for critique, but aside from wearing the occasional pink shirt when I think it is grey it really doens't affect me much.

I'm working on that page right now, I'll post it later today when I'm done.  :)  I don't do much "foruming" in my life, but between this and my other post regarding the sale I've found this to be a super encouraging place!

• jepsonpeteCMTjepsonpeteCMT Posts: 106
    edited July 2019

I'm including a few new render tests from Z brush using the NPR shader. I'm going to share my overall opinion, if that may be of help to others here.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/a5/bd37242a20ae28ce6723f8c5815dc0.jpg

The software is obviously very powerful, but also pretty restriction in terms of animation. It is intended for artists working on signle images/pieces as opposed to ongoing series such as comic books.

You import obj files, which creates lots of issues with texturing and applying transparency maps to things like eyelashes and hair. Since it is only 2.5D it isn't true 3D, so you are rotating around the object, setting up the right lighting.

A great advantage is being able to sculpt extra detail onto the characters and even using polypainting, so painting directly onto the object, adding new details or textures.

The NPR shader is really powerful. It is a full procedural generator, allowing you to change sliders to create a desired effect, whether that is a painting look, manga style outlines, pencil sketch etc. You can also lay over 12 effects layers to add extra complexity to the final image.

For people looking for a great one piece image I would say this is good software, for people wanting to create a full comic book series I would say this software is too much hard work.

Using a posterize effect in Z brush I have created some nice shadows and outlines, however, they are similar to what mmitchell_houston is creating using Poser software which obviously has the extra advantage of animation etc.

Overall, as much as I like the results I think I am going to stick with Unity and Daz Studio

Default example.jpg
    1000 x 810 - 229K
    Dinosaur.jpg
    1386 x 600 - 175K
    Dragon1.jpg
    1000 x 588 - 157K
    Dragon2.jpg
    1000 x 674 - 158K
    Dragon3.jpg
    1000 x 1072 - 211K
    Warrior1.jpg
    967 x 1200 - 308K
    Warrior2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 168K
    WerewolfExample.jpg
    1000 x 795 - 204K
    Woman.jpg
    673 x 1200 - 210K
    Post edited by jepsonpeteCMT on

I'm including a few new render tests from Z brush using the NPR shader. I'm going to share my overall opinion, if that may be of help to others here.

These look great!  I had experimented with ZBrush quite a lot, also, and I came to the same conclusion as you.  Ultimately, I couldn't ever get hair and eyes to do what I wanted to very easily... It's a shame, though, because if the pipeline between the two covered more bases then I think the inclusion of all of the NPR filters in the 2019 version would have done more for us Daz-aholics.

Has anybody tried using some of the filter programs meant for Instragram or something?  I uploaded one through my phone the other day through a few different filters and this came out...  I tweaked it in PS a bit, but all in all it's pretty nice, I think.  It's really blue... gonna have to try to fix that.  I still have that full comic page, but I haven't done post-work to it, yet, so I'll post it up eventually...

claptrap_small.png
    3264 x 1547 - 7M
  • WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724

Ha, I've missed 109 posts here, congrats MMitchell cover looks wonderous. There's some beautiful gems I have missed.

I've been spending too much time in a real studio.... here's a carrara job to keep my eye in

photodonut and filter forge plus some hand work, different filters on different Carrara render passes

This looks awesome ... I like photodonut and filter forge, too. If you remember your process, I'd be very interested in seeing the steps you took to get such a clean image.

edited July 2019

Today I decided to spend a little time playing around with the new La Femme figure to see if she could be fitted into my current workflow. I still need to run some more tests to see how well she adapts to Victoria 4 poses. To be honest, I should have worked on her expression a little more, but overall I like some of the new features the figure has to offer. The fabric draping was simulated in the Cloth Room.

As usual, this was created with Poser Pro 11 and Clip Studio Paint.

La_Femme_Cloth2.jpg
    1200 x 646 - 704K
  • tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,532

X-Men: Colossus by tkdrobert

Collossus.  Not happy with his uniform.  I will probably revisit.

This discussion has been closed.