More Non-photorealisitic Renders (NPR II)

15052545556

Comments

  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 13,316
    vrba79 said:

    As much as I'm diggng VSS, it just can't beat PWToon in terms of outline quality.

    I keep coming back to PWToon. There are better outline systems (scripted outline, LineRender9000, Oso Toon), but PWToon is a great sweet spot of speed and quality.

     

  • vrba79vrba79 Posts: 325
    Oso3D said:
    vrba79 said:

    As much as I'm diggng VSS, it just can't beat PWToon in terms of outline quality.

    I keep coming back to PWToon. There are better outline systems (scripted outline, LineRender9000, Oso Toon), but PWToon is a great sweet spot of speed and quality.

     

    Yeah, it definitely wins out in the that category, as well as easy of use. My workflow is so much smoother when I'm using PWToon.

  • tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 2,238

    Gotham City's Guardian by tkdrobert

  • mmitchell_houstonmmitchell_houston Posts: 1,918
    tkdrobert said:

    Gotham City's Guardian by tkdrobert

    That's VERY nice. I like the lighting at the bottom of the cape. And the pose/costume/expression are all spot-on perfect.

  • tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 2,238
    tkdrobert said:

    Gotham City's Guardian by tkdrobert

    That's VERY nice. I like the lighting at the bottom of the cape. And the pose/costume/expression are all spot-on perfect.

    Thanks.  I spent about a week on this one, off and on.  I did a lot of composite work and manual post-work.  It turned out a lot better than my last Batman render.

  • philebusphilebus Posts: 199
    edited June 15

    I haven't posted in what seems like an age but I've been distracted by other things. Anywho, a friend from university days asked me to revamp some book covers for him, so here I am. This figure will be in a panel on the cover, with some of her left arm overlapping with the panel beside it. I used the same process I've been using of late: Poser render, adjust the image in Affinity (and paint some blood), Topaz Simplify, adjust the result, and then brush work in Artrage. Something I've taken to doing is sampling the clothing for the background colours. This looks a little more green than it will appear on the cover - the covers are all getting a little colour adjustment to up the blues which lends a little to the illusion of an old pulpy book (printing often favoured reds or blues).

    He's part of a small group of self publishers who have decided to come together to provide a little mutual support and to share a brand - they liked my faux Yellow Jacket brand and went with Paper Wasp. Sadly, this model, one of two wasps the creator sold eslewhere, is no longer available. Anywho, the colour version will appear on the book covers, while the black and white wil be largely for book interiors. Its a simple Poser render with outlines which I then traced in Inkscape to get curves so that I can rescale.

     

    Forum BTB1 Paint.jpg
    1500 x 1583 - 123K
    Forum PWColour.jpg
    400 x 499 - 34K
    Forum PWBW.jpg
    400 x 499 - 30K
    Post edited by philebus on
  • mmitchell_houstonmmitchell_houston Posts: 1,918
    edited June 17

    Here's a detail from page 09 of the comic I'm working on. This panel takes up the bulk of the page and spills onto the next page. There are three panels going across the bottom of the page, but I hid them (and the text) to output just the figure and background. I'm pretty happy with the way this page looks. Thoughts?

    Days-Gone-Page-09-Detai-Full.jpg
    1296 x 1526 - 836K
    Post edited by mmitchell_houston on
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 4,003
    philebus said:
    ... Anywho, the colour version will appear on the book covers, while the black and white wil be largely for book interiors. Its a simple Poser render with outlines which I then traced in Inkscape to get curves so that I can rescale.

     

    That is a clever technique. I have not thought about it. Thanks for posting.

  • vrba79vrba79 Posts: 325
    edited June 18

    Playing around with G2F. I've injected Hitomi for G1's head morph into the mix via GenX.

    Ninja Girl.png
    836 x 1210 - 577K
    Post edited by vrba79 on
  • vrba79vrba79 Posts: 325

    I did this render yesterday. Part of an outline I wrote, where Vlad Tepes was just a figure head, who got all the credit, but the real "Dracula" was her.

    Drac.png
    628 x 1225 - 550K
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 4,003
    vrba79 said:

    Playing around with G2F. I've injected Hitomi for G1's head morph into the mix via GenX.

    That looks very nice. You mastered your technique well.

     

  • StarlawStarlaw Posts: 66
    vrba79 said:

    Playing around with G2F. I've injected Hitomi for G1's head morph into the mix via GenX.

    Fantastic! The lighting has complimented the shading of skin for a believable npr style. Nice iris and pupils too.

  • StarlawStarlaw Posts: 66

    Here's a detail from page 09 of the comic I'm working on. This panel takes up the bulk of the page and spills onto the next page. There are three panels going across the bottom of the page, but I hid them (and the text) to output just the figure and background. I'm pretty happy with the way this page looks. Thoughts?

    Looks good! I like the way the back layer of rock/ground is faded to place focus on the foreground. Actually, the depth of layers blend very well without compromising their separation. The emotion or message of the panel is definitely evoked effectively at first glance without context. The item around his right forearm is hard to distinguish. However, I do not see that as an issue when the character's attire and appearance will be "learned" from previous and coming panels. I suppose it's an unnecessary detail in a comic panel.

  • vrba79vrba79 Posts: 325
    edited June 18

    Thanks guys! I used just a touch of postwork. Smart sharpen followed by a faded gausian blur.

    Yeah, PWToon was money well spent. I can't reccomend it enough for NPR. I've been using it for several years. Its ideal if you have a lower end machine, or if your work flow demands faster renders. At a resolution 2160x2580, the source render took only 18 seconds.

    Post edited by vrba79 on
  • jepsonpeteCMTjepsonpeteCMT Posts: 87
    edited June 18

    Here's a detail from page 09 of the comic I'm working on. This panel takes up the bulk of the page and spills onto the next page. There are three panels going across the bottom of the page, but I hid them (and the text) to output just the figure and background. I'm pretty happy with the way this page looks. Thoughts?

    The pose for this one is dramatic, which makes it interesting. The darkness enhances the solemness of the pose. For me the background is a bit distracting. The mountains in the background might be better if they were softer and a lighter shade of grey, conveying distance. The hair is great on this one and there is some nice detail to the shading

    Post edited by jepsonpeteCMT on
  • vrba79 said:

    I did this render yesterday. Part of an outline I wrote, where Vlad Tepes was just a figure head, who got all the credit, but the real "Dracula" was her.

    The character has come out quite nice. PWToon seems to be giving you some good results. I wonder what this would be like if it was illuminated by a single point light placed just above her head, it might produce some really interesting shadows and highlights.

  • tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 2,238
    vrba79 said:

    Thanks guys! I used just a touch of postwork. Smart sharpen followed by a faded gausian blur.

    Yeah, PWToon was money well spent. I can't reccomend it enough for NPR. I've been using it for several years. Its ideal if you have a lower end machine, or if your work flow demands faster renders. At a resolution 2160x2580, the source render took only 18 seconds.

    I used pwToon on the Batman.  Since I have LineRender, sometimes I turn off pwToon's outline functions.  All depends on how my preview render looks.  It's a good tool.

  • jepsonpeteCMTjepsonpeteCMT Posts: 87
    edited June 18

    I've been experimenting with the Iray toon shader I've been using. In a way it's pretty good, but in a way it's also frustrating in that you only have so much control over the line fidelity and positioning. I guess you will always have this with 3D shaders.

    The first couple of images are edits in Photoshop, then I've included some of the direct renders out of Daz that have not been edited.

    Comic effect Photoshop 1.png
    1920 x 1080 - 507K
    Comic test 2.jpg
    1407 x 986 - 422K
    vase test 2.png
    1280 x 720 - 438K
    vase test 5.png
    1920 x 1080 - 423K
    vase test 6.png
    1920 x 1080 - 569K
    vase test flats.png
    1920 x 1080 - 31K
    Post edited by jepsonpeteCMT on
  • mmitchell_houstonmmitchell_houston Posts: 1,918
    Starlaw said:

    Here's a detail from page 09 of the comic I'm working on. This panel takes up the bulk of the page and spills onto the next page. There are three panels going across the bottom of the page, but I hid them (and the text) to output just the figure and background. I'm pretty happy with the way this page looks. Thoughts?

    Looks good! I like the way the back layer of rock/ground is faded to place focus on the foreground. Actually, the depth of layers blend very well without compromising their separation. The emotion or message of the panel is definitely evoked effectively at first glance without context. The item around his right forearm is hard to distinguish. However, I do not see that as an issue when the character's attire and appearance will be "learned" from previous and coming panels. I suppose it's an unnecessary detail in a comic panel.

    Thanks for the detailed comments. It is gratifying to know that the time invested on this panel has paid off. Especially since this panel and the next two are the emotional highlights of the story. In other words, this is where I really want to hit on the emotion of the scene through body language and shadows. The pose set is DM's Solitude, which is available at R'osity and it served as the basis for what I did here.

    The thing on his forearm is a metal bracer (a piece of armor). I was really intrigued by your comment because you're right: without the context of the previous panels you can't tell what it is. As you wisely pointed out, though, we've seen it a dozen times by now so I think it's okay.

    The pose for this one is dramatic, which makes it interesting. The darkness enhances the solemness of the pose. For me the background is a bit distracting. The mountains in the background might be better if they were softer and a lighter shade of grey, conveying distance. The hair is great on this one and there is some nice detail to the shading

    The background layers: I have been struggling with how light to make the other rocks on the mid-plane of the illustration. At first I had them lighter, then darker, now this. I think about 5% - 10% lighter is in order. As for the swirls, those are consistent with the backgrounds I'm using on the other panels to indicate the darkness inside the cave he's in (although out of the context of the story, I definitely see this as a guy sitting on a small ledge of a cliff or mountain.

    I'm going to do one more pass at this to touch up a few little things (a tiny bit of work on the hair, adjust shading on the background rocks, and tweak the highlights on his boots and bracer). Then I can move on to the next two panels and finish this spread in my comic.

    Thanks again for the feedback!

  • vrba79vrba79 Posts: 325

    Thanks guys!

    Yeah, PWToon was money well spent. I can't reccomend it enough for NPR.

    tkdrobert said:
    vrba79 said:

    Thanks guys! I used just a touch of postwork. Smart sharpen followed by a faded gausian blur.

    Yeah, PWToon was money well spent. I can't reccomend it enough for NPR. I've been using it for several years. Its ideal if you have a lower end machine, or if your work flow demands faster renders. At a resolution 2160x2580, the source render took only 18 seconds.

    I used pwToon on the Batman.  Since I have LineRender, sometimes I turn off pwToon's outline functions.  All depends on how my preview render looks.  It's a good tool.

    I'll usually disable outlines, and make some other tweaks, if I want to go for a more painted look.

  • mmitchell_houstonmmitchell_houston Posts: 1,918
    edited June 19

    Based on the previous comments, I made a few tweaks to shading and the darkness of the rocks in the background. Thoughts?

     

    Post edited by mmitchell_houston on
  • mmitchell_houstonmmitchell_houston Posts: 1,918
    edited June 19

    Based on the previous comments, I made a few tweaks to shading and the darkness of the rocks in the background, as well as to some of the ground shadows.

    I also made some edits to the shading on his hand and his left leg/britches. They're subtle, but I think the improvements were worth the time.

    Any thoughts?

    DaysGone_09_Update2a.jpg
    800 x 920 - 295K
    Post edited by mmitchell_houston on
  • mmitchell_houstonmmitchell_houston Posts: 1,918

    Based on the previous comments, I made a few tweaks to shading and the darkness of the rocks in the background. Thoughts?

    philebus said:

    I haven't posted in what seems like an age but I've been distracted by other things. Anywho, a friend from university days asked me to revamp some book covers for him, so here I am. This figure will be in a panel on the cover, with some of her left arm overlapping with the panel beside it. I used the same process I've been using of late: Poser render, adjust the image in Affinity (and paint some blood), Topaz Simplify, adjust the result, and then brush work in Artrage. Something I've taken to doing is sampling the clothing for the background colours. This looks a little more green than it will appear on the cover - the covers are all getting a little colour adjustment to up the blues which lends a little to the illusion of an old pulpy book (printing often favoured reds or blues).

    He's part of a small group of self publishers who have decided to come together to provide a little mutual support and to share a brand - they liked my faux Yellow Jacket brand and went with Paper Wasp. Sadly, this model, one of two wasps the creator sold eslewhere, is no longer available. Anywho, the colour version will appear on the book covers, while the black and white wil be largely for book interiors. Its a simple Poser render with outlines which I then traced in Inkscape to get curves so that I can rescale.

    Sorry for taking so long to respond. I've been a little caught up in my own head for the past few days, trying to strike some balance between the art and the technical aspects of getting what I want out of Poser.

    I've always liked your pulp style, so it's great to see that you're getting it out there. After some of your covers have appeared on their books, send me some links so I can check them out (I'm a BIG fan of pulps, including new pulp-style fiction).

    I really like your figure shape, lighting and background on this illustration. It's very, very strong and conveys a strong sense of character. I totally get her femme fatale vibe! If I'm being honest, though, I'm not in love with the blood stains/smears. I love the color – it really has that dried blood look. But the placement on her left hand is so crisp that I can't really be sure it's blood or if it's intended to be some kind of glove? I know that is probably the effect you were shooting for, but a less-precise edge and shape with some streaks/tendrils/drips of blood would really help. Also, I can't tell what I'm supposed to discern from the stain on her chest/bosom. Was she bit by a vampire (there are two marks at the top)? Or are they gunshots? I just can't be certain.

    At any rate, I think this is cool (especially about how you converted that render into vectors). This is REALLY good work and I'm looking forward to seeing more covers from you soon.

  • kenmokenmo Posts: 563

    Here's a new version of the illustration, although I'm not sure if anyone can actually see the differences, as they're subtle:

    • Darker controur line to his right.
    • Thicker hair at the top.
    • More red on his skin.
    • More red on the sword scabbard.

    I would love to add trees, but the deadline is on me. If this going out Monday, I need to put it to bed now. I'll take one more glance before I send it out, but this is it.

    Damn nice work...

  • mmitchell_houstonmmitchell_houston Posts: 1,918
    kenmo said:

    Here's a new version of the illustration, although I'm not sure if anyone can actually see the differences, as they're subtle:

    • Darker controur line to his right.
    • Thicker hair at the top.
    • More red on his skin.
    • More red on the sword scabbard.

    I would love to add trees, but the deadline is on me. If this going out Monday, I need to put it to bed now. I'll take one more glance before I send it out, but this is it.

    Damn nice work...

    Thank you very much. I was supposed to start working on a second illustration by now, but I haven't written the next chapter, yet. And since my next deadline is July 12 I'm just going to have to boot this down the road until October.

  • I took my Fuse character that I designed into Unity and rendered him out with the MK Toon shaders. (I tried importing into Daz, but it didn't like his Mixamo skeletal rig, his arms and hands stretched in loops around his head! - shame because I wanted to see how he would look in Iray)

    The original Unity render came out nice. I manipulated it in Photoshop and got quite an interesting Steam Punk type look.

    Let me know what you think.

     

    Steam punk.jpg
    403 x 972 - 183K
    UnityRender1.png
    493 x 1011 - 232K
    Painterly look.jpg
    410 x 964 - 204K
    Saturated.jpg
    406 x 995 - 203K
    Classic black and white.jpg
    377 x 983 - 161K
    Black and white 1.jpg
    430 x 959 - 148K
  • Stezza_Carrara9Stezza_Carrara9 Posts: 4,509

    been doing some Carrara wacky modeling and rendering smiley

  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 4,003

    Wow, Stezza, lovely as usual.

     

  • tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 2,238
    edited June 22

    Donlt Make Me Angry II: Old Man Logan

    Don't Make Me Angry II by tkdrobert

    Post edited by tkdrobert on
  • WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 2,714
    edited June 29

    I had lost track of this thread when it moved to II ... so don't remember where I left off. In that case, I'll only share a few of the most recent works, most-recent first. And I have the wonderful people here in the Daz forum for all of ya'lls help and support.

     

    Post edited by Chohole on
Sign In or Register to comment.