More Non-photorealisitic Renders (NPR II)

Comments

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,533
    tkdrobert said:

Sabine's Raid

Sabines Raid by tkdrobert

This is nicely done! I like the composition and sense of action. But this doesn't really look NPR to me. It's got a lot of photorealistic elements to it. Still, very nice job!

Well, I rendered it in IRAY, but I did add some lines and I used a few NPR filters.  If you look at the Storm Trooper, the Mandos in the background, and Sabine's chest peace, you should see it.  However, the filters are a little more muted than what you see in "Blaze of Glory."  While I'm experimenting with the ballance, I don't think it's Photoreal, especially when you look at some of the stuff in the IRAY thread. 

tkdrobert said:

Shot down in a blaze of glory...

Blazing Glory

VERY nice. This is a strong composition that tells a story. The effects processing is top-notch. one of the most solid pieces I've seen in a while.

Thanks, I really love this one.  I can't take full credit as it was inspired by an image over at Rendo (https://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/-die-by-the-sword/2645508/?p).  I thought it would get more attention over at DA, but oh well I still love it.  My Boba Fett/Slave I image is getting far more attention than this one.

tkdrobert said:

Sabine's Raid

Sabines Raid by tkdrobert

This is nicely done! I like the composition and sense of action. But this doesn't really look NPR to me. It's got a lot of photorealistic elements to it. Still, very nice job!

Well, I rendered it in IRAY, but I did add some lines and I used a few NPR filters.  If you look at the Storm Trooper, the Mandos in the background, and Sabine's chest peace, you should see it.  However, the filters are a little more muted than what you see in "Blaze of Glory."  While I'm experimenting with the ballance, I don't think it's Photoreal, especially when you look at some of the stuff in the IRAY thread. 

tkdrobert said:

EDF New York

EDF New York

Very nice! Looks like it could come from a modern comic.

Thank you, the line work took some time to do.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,861

Thanks a lot for the comments and the tips for improvements, mmitchell_houston.

edited June 2018

One more image processed with Topaz AI Remix

Lion03pic03UnderTheSea.jpg
    1280 x 1080 - 620K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • mmitchell_houstonmmitchell_houston Posts: 2,472
    edited June 2018

I needed a quickie back cover illustration, so I combined two previous (but related) images to create this. I'm hoping the cropping of the under image will make for an interesting effect when printed on the page.

Dragon Spire (06-03-2018) Web.jpg
    1200 x 1831 - 3M
    Post edited by mmitchell_houston on

Brilliant, mmitchell_houston, looks very nice.

I needed a quickie back cover illustration, so I combined two previous (but related) images to create this. I'm hoping the cropping of the under image will make for an interesting effect when printed on the page.

yes

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,083
    edited June 2018

Wow, the styles here are stunning.  I hope that trying to mimic claymation or stop motion still counts as non-photorealistic.  Wanted that Hanna Barbera  Christmas movie feel.

Post edited by Diomede on
  • I needed a quickie back cover illustration, so I combined two previous (but related) images to create this. I'm hoping the cropping of the under image will make for an interesting effect when printed on the page.

Diomede said:

Wow, the styles here are stunning.  I hope that trying to mimic claymation or stop motion still counts as non-photorealistic.  Wanted that Hanna Barbera  Christmas movie feel.

Very cute! Has an old school animation look to it. Perhaps a different treatment on the sky and a hint of blue on the snow would enhance the cartoony look? Really love those trees – where did you get them?

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,083

Very cute! Has an old school animation look to it. Perhaps a different treatment on the sky and a hint of blue on the snow would enhance the cartoony look? Really love those trees – where did you get them?

Thanks for the sky and snow suggestions.  I'll experiemnt some more with them.  The trees and everything was modeled, rigged, and textured in Carrara. I created an initial Studio rig of the claymation figure, but the weightmaps are still too rough for practical use.  I'd like to get the Studio rig more polished so I can use the transfer utility.

• The Blurst of TimesThe Blurst of Times Posts: 2,410
    edited June 2018

Here's something I did with GIMP. 

My goal was to dial back the hard edge of the Iray output, looking for a more hand painted feeling.

It's more a test than anything resembling a final step, really. I'm still figuring out how much to push in GIMP.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • The Blurst of TimesThe Blurst of Times Posts: 2,410
    edited June 2018

This was more GIMP (oilify filter) for a Floyd 8 test shot on a transparent background. I created a digital wall thing in GIMP for a background. (I could have used it as an emitter if I was that ambitious, but no.)

• philebusphilebus Posts: 241
    edited June 2018

Howdie strangers... I'm finally doing stuff again.

I've tried out a couple of tricks for handling backgrounds/environments. I tend to assemble scenes in grouped objects so that I can switch elements off easily. The idea is that I can render the whole scene, then switch off the environment and render the figures as silhouettes which only takes a couple of seconds but makes a handy tool to quickly select the figures from the scene in Affinity Photo and place them on a new layer. The background layer can then be filtered (this time in Topaz Simplify) and turned black and white and saved out. Ditching the background, I quickly filter and then export the figures along as my tracing image for ArtRage.

So on to ArtRage - the figure only image is used as a tracing image and promoted to a painted layer, below which I import the black and white background, and then I have a layer below that for colouring. Set the background blend to either shadow or tint and then paint the image below, merge the two and attack roughly with a knife (don't have to be too fussy with that as I use a halftone effect for the final book cover which removes some smaller detail). Then I merge the figures down as well and start at them with the knife till I'm happy.

Scorpion Paint Forum.jpg
    1000 x 693 - 114K
    Post edited by philebus on
    edited June 2018

Sith Brotherhood

This is my entry into the DAZaholics June contest.  The theme is Dark Brotherhood.

This image was rendered in DAZ3D/IRAY, with post work in Photoshop/Topaz Filter.

Sith Brotherhood by tkdrobert

Post edited by tkdrobert on
  • paulcafukpaulcafuk Posts: 13

Greetings!

I’m new to the 3D world and looking for any type of feedback! I recently started helping a friend with some effects for his comic movies and thought I’d put the artist cap back on and try my hand at creating some manga style comics. I used the Sketchy shaders on the figures and rendered everything with Reality. I guess I could’ve used iray. All the post work was done in Clip Studio Paint!

Looking forward to some constructive feedback from the community!

A3FF5CDA-E7B3-462D-A171-62E53F911CFC.png
    4961 x 7016 - 2M
  • philebusphilebus Posts: 241
    paulcafuk said:

Greetings!

I’m new to the 3D world and looking for any type of feedback! I recently started helping a friend with some effects for his comic movies and thought I’d put the artist cap back on and try my hand at creating some manga style comics. I used the Sketchy shaders on the figures and rendered everything with Reality. I guess I could’ve used iray. All the post work was done in Clip Studio Paint!

Looking forward to some constructive feedback from the community!

Hi and welcome!

I like the composition and panels but I would make a couple of suggestions. Usually comic art has strong line work 'containing' half-tones / Ben-Day dots which are a bit lighter. You could probably use a filter to produce line work and then combine that with the half-tone effects, which would create some definition for your scenes.

I don't know if this would be of interest but I stumbled upon this some time ago...

It's a big article with a lot of parts, covering a lot of ground but there's some interesting stuff here about old printing processes.

Thanks!! I’ll dive into that article. I didn’t even think about trying to get better line work and the half tones. Looks like I have some work ahead of me! 

paulcafuk said:

Thanks!! I’ll dive into that article. I didn’t even think about trying to get better line work and the half tones. Looks like I have some work ahead of me! 

Also, if you want to render with DAZ, there are some Manga related shaders.

Sweet! I’ll have to hunt them down!

paulcafuk said:

Sweet! I’ll have to hunt them down!

Manga Style Shaders and Visual Style Shaders.  I have the later, but I think you would probably want the Manga.

Here’s a test render with the manga style shaders. They seem pretty straightforward to use!! Thanks for the tip!

Manga Fight Scene.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
    paulcafuk said:

Here’s a test render with the manga style shaders. They seem pretty straightforward to use!! Thanks for the tip!

yes

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    Artini said:

One more image processed with Topaz AI Remix

that's a wonderful image artini - lovely effect

philebus said:

Howdie strangers... I'm finally doing stuff again.

I've tried out a couple of tricks for handling backgrounds/environments. I tend to assemble scenes in grouped objects so that I can switch elements off easily. The idea is that I can render the whole scene, then switch off the environment and render the figures as silhouettes which only takes a couple of seconds but makes a handy tool to quickly select the figures from the scene in Affinity Photo and place them on a new layer. The background layer can then be filtered (this time in Topaz Simplify) and turned black and white and saved out. Ditching the background, I quickly filter and then export the figures along as my tracing image for ArtRage.

So on to ArtRage - the figure only image is used as a tracing image and promoted to a painted layer, below which I import the black and white background, and then I have a layer below that for colouring. Set the background blend to either shadow or tint and then paint the image below, merge the two and attack roughly with a knife (don't have to be too fussy with that as I use a halftone effect for the final book cover which removes some smaller detail). Then I merge the figures down as well and start at them with the knife till I'm happy.

nice to see someone doing 'paintovers' with artrage - maybe a little fog near the females legs to add seperation between beats and human ?? by fog read dust, haze, etc 

intriguing to see this image developing over the weeks - the blue sings 

Diomede said:

loving this style Diomede - so innocent ;)

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    edited June 2018

apologies for not commenting I have been lurking though 

here's soemthing from present carrara challenge 

one with no post work, the second with a little hand colouring  third is render passes added to each other in ps

• first image uses a free  green b and w flter combined with Carrara's inbuilt Toon!Part111  - and also uses a purchased plugin  Toon!Pro with line colour set to object colour

the texture at the top from light source is from a spot with a light speher with turbulence ticked - gives that grainy look

the bit of grunge on the hands and coat are from a light gel using one of my other renders as the gel

the reflection on the lenses is just a texture map of one of my other noir renders

• the second coloured one is from a material diffuse render pass (Carrara will render out about 15 ?? types of render passes natively - including line work, diffuse textures, shadows, object pass { for isolating different objects for later post work - }

the material diffuse pass was pasted over the b and w and turned into a colour parameter in PS - then I added a little sloppy hand colouring to detune it

• third is a combo of material diffuse and diffuse render passes combined in ps - the material diffuse pass comes out as just textures (?) without shadows so it is ideal for use in this kind of work where you don't want dense shadows . The shadows in tis image come from the diffuse render pass. There is no line work in this because it doesn involve the Toon!Pro plugin -

Post edited by Headwax on

Thanks a lot, head wax.

edited June 2018

Vert nice Head Wax!! I'm hoping to get rendwrs that look like that!

I think I’m finally starting to get the hang of the manga shaders. Whipped up a quick surfer dude scene to see what if I could make it look decent!

Mike-M-1.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
    Post edited by paulcafuk on
    edited June 2018

A liitle Cyberpunk for your Saturday afternoon.

CyberPunk Meeting (Painted) by tkdrobert

That’s awesome!! Someday I’ll be that good!

This discussion has been closed.