Hinky's Hair Salon Shaders

nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

https://www.daz3d.com/hinky-s-hair-salon-shaders

Anyone got any examples? I'm currently considering it.

Comments

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    nicstt said:

https://www.daz3d.com/hinky-s-hair-salon-shaders

Anyone got any examples? I'm currently considering it.

+1

• SorelSorel Posts: 1,390

...there are promo images?

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,254

Why doesn't anyone do hair shaders for 3Dlight? Other than AliBea's fairy shaders, and somebody's sparkle shaders I can hardly think of any.

And there are a lot of hairs from popular vendors which just don't come in anything other than about five basic textures.

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,145

@nicstt probably wanted to see test renders by users in addition to the promos.  Check Novica's thread in the art studio forum, it is usually one of the top threads so it is easy to find.  She's tested the product and will be adding tests on various hairs.  I've also posted some tests there.  The presets were very easy to use.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

@nicstt probably wanted to see test renders by users in addition to the promos.  Check Novica's thread in the art studio forum, it is usually one of the top threads so it is easy to find.  She's tested the product and will be adding tests on various hairs.  I've also posted some tests there.  The presets were very easy to use.

Thank you.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited January 2018

This is exactly what I wanted. So many times, renders from the "regular folk" give us a better representation of what "we" can do with a product, and what we can reasonably expect. Sometimes the render looks so much better than the promos. And sometimes we can't seem to get anything near what the promos show.

I'm glad @Novica used several hairs to showcase the shaders, as I wasn't very impressed until the last one. I'm still thinking of buying the product, but based on her renders, I'm convinced this will work better on some hairs, and not so good on others. Still looks like a product I want in my runtime.

Post edited by L'Adair on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Here's the beginning of the posts that showcase the hair. Then just scroll down, there's three hairs total.  These shaders do take awhile to render, they were between 30 and 45 minutes (or more, stopped at 75%) compared to 15-25 minutes normally without special shaders. 

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,688
    Novica said:

Here's the beginning of the posts that showcase the hair. Then just scroll down, there's three hairs total.  These shaders do take awhile to render, they were between 30 and 45 minutes (or more, stopped at 75%) compared to 15-25 minutes normally without special shaders. 

Thank you for making it easy for me to find @Novica, as I despaired of seeking something specific on your voluminous thread. Thanks also for the invaluable service you render (pun intended) to our community.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,850
    edited January 2018

Ok, first iray render of Adalyn hair with the default material.

https://www.daz3d.com/adalyn-hair-for-genesis-3-female-s

AdalynHair05pic04.jpg
    1280 x 1080 - 338K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited January 2018

... and after applying HS Fairy Hair 16 preset.

AdalynHair05pic05Fairy16.jpg
    1280 x 1080 - 320K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited January 2018

Hmm so far the shaders haven’t enthused me. I do have oots Iray pair shaders from rendo but these shaders look a bit plastic like. I definitely need to see more.

Post edited by Serene Night on
    edited January 2018
    xyer0 said:

Thank you for making it easy for me to find @Novica, as I despaired of seeking something specific on your voluminous thread. Thanks also for the invaluable service you render (pun intended) to our community.

@xyer0     Our pleasure- there's so many artists who are generous with their time and sharing the product showcases, couldn't do it without them. FYI-  The first page of every new showcase thread has a Reference section with links to tips and tutorials, (done by forum members)  but yes,at times it's daunting to try and keep up with the products shown. For folks who don't visit the Art Studio section very often, you will find many threads which are using not only the latest products, but back catalog items as well. I like the Art Studio threads because you can chit chat with the artist and ask questions about what they like about the products.

Speaking of which, what I like about these shaders is the variety of colors blended together, and where they're applied. If you don't like the way a shader looks on the hair, testing it with different lights may totally change it up. For my tests, I wanted everything to be consistent so I stuck with one lighting setup. (Pro-Studio, light 14R)  But I have to agree with L'Adair- some hair doesn't do well with them, and it does add render time of at least 15 minutes to your normal time (at least that was my experience.)  I like the glitter shader in particular. And do remember these are shaders, not materials. LOL, I was wondering what was taking my viewport so long to flicker and do its thing, then realized it was a shader. Duh. 

I'd try side lighting first, as the top lighting can wash out the lighter glitter colors' details, even with a low Burn Highlights in Tone Mapping (and I suggest turning that down a bit for the glitter ones and see how you like it.)  And again, test different lights as your results will really vary.

Post edited by Novica on

@artini  The hair looks nice and soft with that lighting. Very nice!

edited January 2018

Thanks, Novica.

Below is another example.

01 Soft Hair - HS Soft 22
    02 Glitter Highlights - HS Glitter Cyan

AdalynHair05pic06Soft.jpg
    1280 x 1080 - 348K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited January 2018

One more example:

04 Shiny - HS Shiny 05

AdalynHair05pic08Shiny.jpg
    1280 x 1080 - 297K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • I love it, specially the plastic and glitter, it will be great for Sakura and toon renders

• caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,323
    JOdel said:

Why doesn't anyone do hair shaders for 3Dlight? Other than AliBea's fairy shaders, and somebody's sparkle shaders I can hardly think of any.

And there are a lot of hairs from popular vendors which just don't come in anything other than about five basic textures.

+ 1!!!

• ALLIEKATBLUEALLIEKATBLUE Posts: 2,960

Hmm so far the shaders haven’t enthused me. I do have oots Iray pair shaders from rendo but these shaders look a bit plastic like. I definitely need to see more.

I bought this but haven't tried it yet and seeing the posts, the hair does look a bit toony. 

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

Yes, picked up this pack and I'm picky as sin since I'm a hairdresser but there are some perameters I want to see in action! 

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

I have those too; I like it a lot.

... This, however, does things differently and gives a different look, so am also interested in it too.

• How do you get this to to work.

• agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513

How do you get this to to work.

Select hair, select hair surface, pick a shader.

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621

Anyway to combine this with Colorwerks Extreme mainly like the glitter ends?