What I lack in everything, I make up for with enthusiasm :)

Comments

• mori_mannmori_mann Posts: 1,152
    edited December 1969

Dug up the ol' panther model to fiddle with the fur some more. After all, a certain ranger does need his trusted companion from time to time. While the model isn't perfect, it's the best I have. The out-of-the-box fur looks like very shiny plastic, though, so that had to be remedied. Doing this in sessions, but slowly, it's starting to look less plasticky and more like something that might be hair :)

Still a WIP. Tips and ideas welcome. (Quality somewhat lessened due to resizing and saving as JPEG..)

Ahsh_test_7_resize.jpg
    1200 x 960 - 239K
  • TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited December 1969

Isabelle is beautiful!!! and the cat in the mirror is really nice...Trish

edited December 1969

Thank you :)

I'm having lots of fun playing around with DAZ.. But then,, that might have been obvious ;)

edited December 1969

Another one with a bit of a story. I was really only running some tests on that nice environment thingy and was reminded of a tiny little scene from Jerutha's past. Waaaaay before he met his Amber ;)

“What have we here?!” A musical voice behind him exclaimed suddenly. Startled, he jumped up and turned around to find a small, but beautiful woman looking at him. Her bright green eyes sparkled with amusement. The fabric of her pale, blue robe was thin, almost translucent. Strands of her long coppery hair danced in the breeze. She stood barefoot in the stream as if she did not even notice the chill of late autumn.
    “You’re a nymph,” Jerutha said. Realising he was staring, he quickly looked away. The woman laughed merrily at that. “Yes I am,” she confirmed. “You have wandered into my lands.” She looked him over more closely. “And you are neither elf nor human and yet you are both.. I have heard of half-elves, but I must admit that in all my years, I have never caught one entering my domain. No one ever told me they could be so handsome.”
    Jerutha felt the blood rising up through the veins in his neck at her flirtatious tone and words. He had never been called handsome before. He wanted to say something to contradict her, but could not find his voice. He stared at his boots for inspiration.
    “Shy, aren’t you?” The nymph purred. “There’s no need for that. Ah! But how rude of me! I did not introduce myself.” The splashing sound before the rustling of bare feet over fallen leaves indicated that she was coming closer. “I am called Rymael,” she said as her hands clasped his. “What should I call you?”

What_have_we_here.jpg
    1500 x 1200 - 425K
    edited December 1969

Working on a new project, this is the first test render, so there are no lights yet and there will be more background, too. Poses will get a tweak here and there too, no doubt. I know myself. The little boy (Baby Jerutha, yes) is still a bit out of proportion, but working on it.

Any thoughts?

Crying_is_for_babies_1_no_light_test.jpg
    618 x 800 - 108K
  • TeofaTeofa Posts: 823
    edited December 1969

mori_mann said:
    I keep fiddling with this and updating it for hair and accessories. And lighting. And other details.

Basically, I think it's kind of cute and I'm rather happy with their expressions here. Thoughts? I'd love to hear them :D (Yes, i know one of her curls is in her shoulder, I'll get to that ;) )

I love this image :)

edited September 2013

mori_mann said:
    WIP. Yes, I am protective about my characters. No touching!! ;)

It's really 2 image ideas merged together. I was going to do something like this with stiff, doll-like characters. And an image of A&J looking scared. When i did the posing and expressions for that second idea, I just had to do this. So. Yes.

'No touching', the first light test.

This is so cool :). Fixeth thy poketh through :), or move the thumb or whatever that is.

I imagine this how my figurines looked at my sons when they were little

Post edited by Teofa on
    edited December 1969

Thank you :)

Yes, Amber's thumb was a bit.. odd. It's fixed now in the final version (though not in the final posted version on DA.. I tend to upload there too soon. Or the wrong version ;) ). That one was too much fun to do. But then, I'm always having too much fun playing around with 3D.

edited December 1969

WIP, early lighting stages.

These two. Again. No, I am not sorry. I suppose I could have covered Amber up a bit more, but nothing shows, so I figures I'd get away with it. If this is not okay, let me know.

Think_weThink_we_should_go_back_8_Spots_1.jpg
    1000 x 800 - 243K
    edited December 1969

aaww, nice. Its a wip? maybe scoosh Amber's tummie in closer to him :)

rich rich color environment. love it.

edited December 1969

Thank you :) I finished the pic by now. This is a close-up angle. The other angle might be taken as offensive by some. Tis on my dA, though.

I still think they are cute together.

Think_weThink_we_should_go_back_22_close_up_lpw.jpg
    1050 x 1050 - 335K
    edited December 1969

Dimi, the insane elf, wanted my attention. He insisted on involving a dagger.

And a pumpkin :roll:

This is what happened. Or rather, is happening, as I am still fiddling with it.

Artistic_vibes_3_light_test_1.jpg
    1000 x 800 - 131K
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

mori_mann said:
    Working on a new project, this is the first test render, so there are no lights yet and there will be more background, too. Poses will get a tweak here and there too, no doubt. I know myself. The little boy (Baby Jerutha, yes) is still a bit out of proportion, but working on it.

Any thoughts?

Really enjoying cruising through your renders. This one, I thought I'd share an observation- perhaps watch what is directly behind your characters- the little boy has a post competing for attention with his face. Also, his fingers are right there at the rope, only a tad lower and running horizontally too. Might want to lower the hand so it's clear it is upraised because the fingers are also too similar to their background.

edited December 1969

Novica said:
    mori_mann said:

Any thoughts?

Really enjoying cruising through your renders. This one, I thought I'd share an observation- perhaps watch what is directly behind your characters- the little boy has a post competing for attention with his face. Also, his fingers are right there at the rope, only a tad lower and running horizontally too. Might want to lower the hand so it's clear it is upraised because the fingers are also too similar to their background.

Thank you for sharing your insights :) I like getting feedback, because it helps me get better, so please, if you see anything that stands out - or doesn't stand out as much as it should, let me know. The version I posted, was a very early one, where I had not yet gotten to the lighting, let alone the background. It changed quite a bit in the 'latest for now' version, that I ended up not sharing here. Yet.

Personally, I think it improved (but could still be better when I get better at using DAZ and all that). Do you agree?

Crying_is_for_babies_16_smaller.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 362K
    edited December 1969

I love the changes, love the DOF, but.. and there always is a "but". the one shadow from the post by the boy seems to be at odds with every other harder shadow in the render.

minor :)

edited December 1969

Yes, and I still haven't figured out why the light only makes that particular shadow so strong. I haven't managed to get it to behave better without messing up the boy's sahdow on his mother's dress - and other shadows I do like. So.. I'm letting it rest for a bit.

Glad you like it! :D

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

I figured the other was a WIP due to the lighting, it wasn't on par with your finished works. So far as the shadows, the horse and other posts show stronger shadows so the lightsource which is the strongest is coming from the far right I assume.

The characters stand out nicely and the DOF really adds to the scene.

edited December 1969

Yes, the main light does come from the far right and a bit up.

I am rather happy with how well the DOF worked in this one, myself. Thanks for looking :)

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited October 2013

I'm sort of thinking its not shadows at fault but the post textures. Have you tried a Wood shader to replace those textures yet? The one on the left shows just how bad the texture is. Its not even seamless all the way up the post. Follow the grain from bottom up.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited October 2013

Jaderail said:
    I'm sort of thinking its not shadows at fault but the post textures. Have you tried a Wood shader to replace those textures yet? The one on the left shows just how bad the texture is. Its not even seamless all the way up the post. Follow the grain from bottom up.

Yes, that texture is rather.. dramatic, isn't it? I have considered changing it, but haven't done so yet. Can't remember why, but there must have been something. Maybe because the idea popped up when I was on a train or in the shower, my brain does that ;)

I will certainly get back and try it. Thanks for the suggestion!

Post edited by mori_mann on
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:

I think you nailed it. That post texture is bad.

edited October 2013

I tried putting a different/better texture on the post. It looked better, but it didn;t eat the shadow. Probably something with the main light drowning out the other shadows that particular light makes, but not this one. Not giving up yet.

I did get distracted with a spontaneous little 'project' with my amazing friend. Shamelessly plugging it here. She did most of the work, especially the postwork, but both our names are on it. In link because it has nudity *nods sagely*

http://fav.me/d6qai43

Post edited by mori_mann on
  • Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,404
    edited December 1969

mori_mann said:
    I tried putting a different/better texture on the post. It looked better, but it didn;t eat the shadow. Probably something with the main light drowning out the other shadows that particular light makes, but not this one. Not giving up yet.

I did get distracted with a spontaneous little 'project' with my amazing friend. Shamelessly plugging it here. She did most of the work, especially the postwork, but both our names are on it. In link because it has nudity *nods sagely*

http://fav.me/d6qai43

Can we say "Yummy"?
    edited December 1969

You are gonna make me sign up at Deviantart, aren't you.

edited December 1969

@Tramp Graphics: If you like strawberries, a Yummie is totally in order ;)

@ standfast: Nah, that's up to you. It does help if you want to see the pic, though. But I've been known to show privately to those who ask nicely ;)

edited December 1969

No thanks Mori, I need to get brave and do that. I have such a fear of the internet, I rarely sign in for anyplace. I would not have FB if not for just keeping up with masses of distant relatives. :)

edited December 1969

Deviant Art is not that scary, really. You only have to stay clear of the people who think 3D is only there to create.. erm.. assets the size of jupiter and males with.. logs that would kill them if things get heated. And people wonder why 3D art has a bad name.. Hormonal teenagers, that's why!

Ahem. Sorry, pet peeve. But seriously, you don't have to look at things you don't want to see and that's a good thing in many cases.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,385
    edited October 2013

Yeah it gets a bit old. If you don't draw or paint you aren't a real artist.

Post edited by frank0314 on
    edited October 2013

mori_mann said:
    Deviant Art is not that scary, really. You only have to stay clear of the people who think 3D is only there to create.. erm.. assets the size of jupiter and males with.. logs that would kill them if things get heated. And people wonder why 3D art has a bad name.. Hormonal teenagers, that's why!

Ahem. Sorry, pet peeve. But seriously, you don't have to look at things you don't want to see and that's a good thing in many cases.

Yes, just wandering a bit on the net looking for 3d stuff I have seen things no amount of eye bleach will remove. I can hardly type "tentacle" without shuddering now.

And yes, Frank, I don't get the attitude. 3D artists do the same as any other artist, using different tools. And like other art, some 3d can be just as bad as a paint by number done with disposable poly brushes. It isn't the tools or the medium, it still all comes down to the person using them.

Post edited by Teofa on
    edited December 1969

Indeed. And well, it's not always easy to get it right, with lighting, DOF, posing, you name it. I's not 'instant art' as some seem to think. And even some works that are very well made, technically, lack something. They are too.. 'clean' I guess. But that's a matter of taste.