Shader help please.

bardtalebardtale Posts: 0
edited May 2013 in New Users

Hello again everybody! I have to say, Daz3d is an addiction and I have fallen head first into it. That said, I'm learning a lot. But one thing I can't seem to figure out is shaders. Most of the information I've seen out there assumes you already know how to use them. Specifically, perhaps somebody can help me with suggestions.

This is a render of the main character I will be working with. In my Daz, I have the Tsukiko lighting presets (I have others of course, but I havn't played around with them). The second one is AOIBL_Light and the first is IBL_Light. I'm unsure of the differences between them except the AOIBL makes my characters teeth look black with shadows. While with IBL_Light, it makes her teeth slightly brown.

Could somebody be willing to offer some advice on how to fix this or perhaps some resources that I could try to improve the teeth/shading etc?

IBL_Light.png
1236 x 1599 - 3M
AOIBL_Light.png
1236 x 1599 - 3M
Post edited by bardtale on

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Both Instances are not shader issues, what you are seeing is the differences in the lighting types shadowing. As the teeth are shadowed by the upper lip. You can look in both of the Lighting sets in Parameters or Surfaces if UE type lighting and adjust the shadowing.

• bardtalebardtale Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Ah. While I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about, I appreciate the advice and will try to figure it out. Thank you.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

bardtale said:
    Ah. While I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about, I appreciate the advice and will try to figure it out. Thank you.
    I do not have those Lighting Presets or I would show you examples of things to try. My wallet is bare or I would get them anyway, I like what I see them do in your renders.
  • bardtalebardtale Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I like the light settings, but the teeth really do bother me. And After playing around with it, I still cannot manage to figure out how to make the teeth look like teeth.

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited May 2013

bardtale said:
    I like the light settings, but the teeth really do bother me. And After playing around with it, I still cannot manage to figure out how to make the teeth look like teeth.

Well if the teeth are the only issue, post work always works, until you figure it out at least ;)

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
  • rpm45rpm45 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Actually, I think the second picture is correct. The teeth haven't turned black; the mouth isn't open very wide so the light isn't illuminating the inside. The mouth can look that way in real life, too, depending on the lighting. A couple examples from DeviantArt: Face R5, Doll face 1.

I think what's going on in part is that the AOIBL_Light includes "ambient" light, which adds light to all surfaces uniformly no matter where the light comes from originally. So this lights up the teeth and other areas that would otherwise be in shadow. (Notice that not only is the second picture darker, but the shadows in the nostrils and under the top eyelids are deeper as well as inside the mouth. And in the first image the string around the back of her neck is almost as bright as the string in front, in spite of all that hair.)

"AO" stands for "Ambient Occlusion", and "IBL" stands for "Image-Based Lighting"; they're both defined (briefly) here:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/46/
    Ambient occlusion is soft shadows that appear in places where less ambient light falls, happens when two surfaces are close together and they block off some of the room light. To get this, you first need some ambient light. (Took me way too long to figure this out... I was trying to "add AO" to my renders and couldn't figure out why they were suddenly so bright...)

I do think the teeth are _too_ bright in the first picture (to me they look like they're glowing a bit). If you like the overall AOIBL_Light version better, you might look around for some sort of "ambient strength" or "ambient intensity" slider and reduce it. The settings on the shadows may also need some tweaking, but I kind of doubt it from this picture.

I'm definitely no expert, but that's what it looks like to me.

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

One of the fun things about working in these tools is that we don't have to obey the laws of physics. You can, quite easily, select Genesis, move to the surfaces tab, find the "Teeth" surface, and increase the ambient level on the teeth surface. You can alter the color, etc. I frequently do this, especially with teeth, because so many are so perfectly white it looks unnatural to me. I tend to add a tinge of yellow ambient or sometimes yellow/grey, or sometimes even brown @_@, depending on what I'm rendering.

Another area that often benefits from a touch of ambient is the iris material. You can really make the eyes pop.

The above techniques (plus a few more) to differentiate between the two renders below. ;)

troll_silo03_zpw.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 383K
    troll_silo01_raw.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 250K