Daz Studio slowdown?

I am using the latest version of studio and it seems to be extremely slow to start rendering taking up to 6 minutes to compile before beginning even rendering I’m not sure what is causing it because it was never this slow before. And my scenes aren’t complicated. Any suggestions on what could be causing this long load and compilation period?

Comments

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890
    edited January 2018

That's the case with me too. A general slow down of DAZ Studio 4.10.x and a massive slowdown regarding using gizmos, eg, cube scene rotate gizmo when the translate icon is selected above, in the viewport. The response from support was that is was because my computer has no GPU hardware CUDA Cores 2.0 or above but the problem with their explanation is the viewport in openGL texture shaded mode doesn't need nVidia HW and the iRay renderer itself doesn't need nVidia HW and performed much faster in DAZ Studio 4.9

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,553

At this point its worse than 3delight for its slow rendeirng speeds. what is weird, is this is not the norm. I do have cuda cores but not sure if they are 2.0 or higher.

At this point its worse than 3delight for its slow rendeirng speeds. what is weird, is this is not the norm. I do have cuda cores but not sure if they are 2.0 or higher.

If you look in the DAZ Studio log file under Help menu it should say although that is a lot of reading.

Hmm. Says zero. But never had trouble rendering before. I'm wondering if I should downgrade DAZ Studio to a previous verision. Seems like this version has slowed my computer down dramatically.

Hmm. Says zero. But never had trouble rendering before. I'm wondering if I should downgrade DAZ Studio to a previous verision. Seems like this version has slowed my computer down dramatically.

That's odd. I always figured my log file said 0 for the CUDA cores because I had no nVidia card but if your computer says the same & you have an nVidia card then it sounds like an erroneous error message that can be ignored. That's what I told DAZ support the error message was for me but I'm surprised to hear it is likely for you as well. 

Problems for me started happening with the fall creators update. I removed it but then this new update occurred and studio started to slow down. I think this new windows update did a number in my machine or studio and it don’t play nicely together.all my drivers ar up to date. It could also be 4.10though

i have a choice restore windows or hope a fix will occur... but since they didn’t address the windows viewpoint bug I’m not optimistic. 

i may reset windows but no guarantee the updates won’t do this all again. The third option is to,simply take my Daz pc offline once I get something stable I would,prefer not to do,that but right now my machine is unusable due to it taking hours to render scene sit could easily handle before.

It does appear to be something to do with the latest update. I went to a restore point before it, and the same scene which took 6 minutes to compile and just consisted of Sarge boyd, a wall and a locker took 1 minute to start, as opposed to 6 minutes afte update.

My card is a NVIDIA  gforce 1070 8 gigs of ram on the card 40 gigs of memory.

• QuixotryQuixotry Posts: 894

I've been seeing something similar happening. I have a NVIDIA 980 Ti and suddenly all renders are being done with CPU and the GPU is being ignored. What version of DS did you fall back to that allowed your scene to render quickly again?

Yes, then that CUDA Core version of 0 that SereneNight saw earlier must of been because her video card wasn't used. I get that all the time because I have no nVidia video card.

Personally my iRay renders, even though they are just CPU, are converging faster with the latest DAZ Studio & Windows 10. My problem with the latest DAZ Studio has been and remains the dozens of seconds to minutes for the gizmos to do anything in the viewport.

SereneNight, you probably can just go to the Edit Advanced Settings tab in your iRay Renderer Tab & re-check your video card, it should still be listed, and uncheck the CPU, it is checked and that wouldn't have fixed your problem. Mary Baker can do that though rather than a rollback or a restore.  

I've been seeing something similar happening. I have a NVIDIA 980 Ti and suddenly all renders are being done with CPU and the GPU is being ignored. What version of DS did you fall back to that allowed your scene to render quickly again?

There has been several Microsoft updates and I dropped my window version back before the big one on January using system restore. Unfortunately the Jan update is touted as much needed but it did seem to slow my machine down more.

still not 100 percent certain what causes the issue though

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,585

Do you have an SSD?

A couple of early tests suggest the emergency windows update for Spectre and Meltdown have a noticeable effect on SSD performance. Even worse for NVMe drives!

• RedzRedz Posts: 1,459

I’ve also noticed a big slow-down in the latest version of Daz Studio, both general responsiveness and Iray rendering. Iray renders can lag in ‘preparing scene’ for long periods and sometimes even crash. I have two GeForce GTX 970s and have Iray set to GPU rendering only. I’m not sure what part of the log I should be looking at regarding the cores information.

I don't think my fix is a fix, just an improvement. There is still a big slowdown.

Still says I have no cuda device.

2018-01-19 07:10:35.887 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Device statistics:
    2018-01-19 07:10:35.887 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 1070):   1282 iterations, 79.570s init, 976.030s render
    2018-01-19 07:10:35.887 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : CPU:   116 iterations, 78.937s init, 969.052s render

• LeanaLeana Posts: 10,932

Have you tried reinstalling the nvidia drivers for your card?

• jag11jag11 Posts: 885

If you post (as attachment) a clean version of your log file I could check it out and try to find out the cause.

There are several factors that might slow down a computer, lots of temporary files, anti virus, fragmented hard disk, too many unnecessary processes and services, out dated drivers.

Antiviruses make a huge impact on performance, so you must add surgical folder exclusions, DS content folders, DS temporary folders, C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libs\iray\

2018-01-19 07:10:35.887 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Device statistics:
    2018-01-19 07:10:35.887 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 1070):   1282 iterations, 79.570s init, 976.030s render
    2018-01-19 07:10:35.887 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : CPU:   116 iterations, 78.937s init, 969.052s render

I have two video cards and in the log mine appear to be referenced as Cuda device 0 and Cuda device 1, so I’m wondering if this is just the nomenclature used. 

That could be it. I am running the latest nvidia driver. I can try rolling it back I suppose.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 10,932
    Redz said:

I have two video cards and in the log mine appear to be referenced as Cuda device 0 and Cuda device 1, so I’m wondering if this is just the nomenclature used. 

Good point, in IT lists usually start at index 0...

• Agreed with @Redz. I have one 1080 and it always comes up as CUDA device 0. What I find weird about the log you posted is to me I read it as your 1070 ran 1282 iterations and your CPU ran 116? I'm assuming you have both checked in advanced Render settings and that is the culprit?

There was a post that I'm searching for that pointed towards the scene files (I want to say thumbnails but that doesn't make sense, why I'm looking for it) as a culprit to slow startups to Renders. More scenes to go through or other.

I'll post a link when and if I find it.

I’m at work but yeah  I have both checked. 

I honestly know very little about what’s goes on under studio’s hood to be quite honest. I only know it has become a slug lately. I’d love to roll it back to the previous version but I don’t think I have that installer and it is removed from my library. I should’ve backed it up 

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,942

Computers start counting at 0, so if you have, say three things, they will be 0, 1, and 2. 

Okay so I obviously  surprisedon’t have a clue whether the CUDA is doing anything or not. That’s the only mention in my log so....that’s what I posted.

prixat said:

Do you have an SSD?

A couple of early tests suggest the emergency windows update for Spectre and Meltdown have a noticeable effect on SSD performance. Even worse for NVMe drives!

Yes my startup drive is a puny 265 gig ssd. After the update I read that they turn off the powers down cycle on the drives. I had to go into the advanced power management and make sure it doesn’t go to sleep. 

edited January 2018

I honestly know very little about what’s goes on under studio’s hood to be quite honest. I only know it has become a slug lately. I’d love to roll it back to the previous version but I don’t think I have that installer and it is removed from my library. I should’ve backed it up 

Me too. :( 

Iray preview was almost immediate in 4.9, now I have to wait an age while it’s ‘preparing scene’

Post edited by Redz on
  • https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/66668/iray-renders-have-long-delay-before-actually-starting

Not what I was looking for, but I've found @Tobor's suggestion in the above very helpful in that you leave your last render window open to speed up load times. I leave it open until the new screen turns to the checkerboard then shut the previous (in case I'm runnin gup against my VRAM limit). 
    That doesn't help with the intial wait though. The materials and any fit modifications were also mentioned. (Becasue the fits are morphs that are not in the data file?) Sorry, I'm not at my personal PC so searching is a pain.

This is the forum post I was talking about, Richard H suggested something along the lines of the scene thumbnails. I've read it 3 times and still have trouble, but I was going to try and recreate his steps suggested to see if that helps.
    https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/225611/daz-studio-creates-icon-files#latest

My scenes have Iray materials in them already. I use Iray only environments and my characters use Iray ready skin and hair.....   these scenes aren’t very complicated. Two characters and a environment.   Something has seriously changed.

Redz said:

Me too. :( 

Iray preview was almost immediate in 4.9, now I have to wait an age while it’s ‘preparing scene’

I’m going to have to see if I can find 4.9.  I have that same experience. It used to be quicker to compile and load the preview and I never had 6 minutes of sluggish compiling each time I started a render,. 1-2 minutes max