This is how you export Daz JCMs (or any other morphs) via fbx!

First, I want to apologize to Daz3d for accusing them of locking up their JCM technology.  This is not so.  The ability is hidden in plain sight.
Secondly, I don't take credit for this.  Another user,  @annaputrino disclosed this information.

It's a simple process that involves exploring the fbx export dialog box and editing the morph export rules:

In the fbx export box, click on your figure under the export column and it will reveal all the morphs that are available to it.  Scroll thru and find the morphs you want to export.  Take note of the key words in the "Name" column.  For example, JCM morphs for this particular G2F will all have "BBJCM" in the name.  Now click the "Edit Morp Export Rules" button and Add a new rule.  In the "Match" column you should write the key word you noted previously.  It is a search feature, so it's case sensitive.   In the "Action" column you should select "Export".  Press "Accept" and you are ready to export.

Note:  This will also work with DaztoMaya script but first you must prepare the export rules before you run the script.  So first you must export a character manually to change the settings.  After that, the setting will remember the last change.  Now when you run DaztoMaya, it will use those settings.  You can also save the settings to a file to recall later.

Caution:  for those who want to use this feature with DaztoMaya, be careful how many morphs you export!  For instance, if you want to export all your morphs, including face and body morphs for all your DAZ figures, at the same time, you can use the "Genesis2Female" and it will export everything.  That may sound cool, but if you have too many you may run out of ram when importing on the Maya side and your computer will crash.  It is better to select carefully which morphs you want to carry.

This discovery opens up whole new opportunities if you want to use Daz figures outside of Daz Studio.  You will have control over your figures through morph dials exactly as in DS.  You can apply different character faces and bodies and hand poses and anything you have purchased.  A special note regarding the JCM's.  You will have the JCM morphs, but they won't be automatically applied during posing like in Daz.  annaputrino has written a script that will pass on the JCM values in an animation file as keyframes but I don't know if he is inclined to share it.  Even if he doesn't, we still have to ability to make our own artistic choices on when and how to apply the morphs according to the pose.  As usual, the artist should have the final say on how things will look.  I am so excited, I think I wet my pants.

Screenshot (53)_LI.jpg
1575 x 1366 - 976K

Comments

• According to the change log (for 4.10.0.122):

Added options to FBX Exporter; “Base Figure Pose Only”, “Maya Helper Scripts”, “Maya Mental Ray Materials”

Where the Maya Helper Scripts connect the JCMs in Maya.

• drzapdrzap Posts: 795

According to the change log (for 4.10.0.122):

Added options to FBX Exporter; “Base Figure Pose Only”, “Maya Helper Scripts”, “Maya Mental Ray Materials”

Where the Maya Helper Scripts connect the JCMs in Maya.

surpriseMy mind is continually being blown today.  I will look into that.

• joseftjoseft Posts: 310

So if i am understanding this correctly, we can now easily get a fully functional daz character into Maya, the only exception to that being HD morphs and having to create your own face rig controls?

Good news, i guess the HD stuff can be replicated somewhat with normal and displacement maps, or custom morphs after import to Maya

• drzapdrzap Posts: 795
    edited January 2018
    joseft said:

So if i am understanding this correctly, we can now easily get a fully functional daz character into Maya, the only exception to that being HD morphs and having to create your own face rig controls?

Good news, i guess the HD stuff can be replicated somewhat with normal and displacement maps, or custom morphs after import to Maya

YES!  I am working on a workflow to get HD, like exporting to .obj and baking out custom displacement maps, but for 95% of my work, I won't need them.  They are expensive for animation work, but useful for closeup shots.

Post edited by drzap on
  • andrewthedudeandrewthedude Posts: 1
    edited October 2018

Hi, I got a bit of a question, I exported a G8F figure to blender just like you said, and I end up having not just the morphs i intended to export successfully but every single morphs

More details later

Actually I fixed the issue of the morphs, I just still mind boggled why the Eyelashes aren't parented to the shapekeys of the figure when i move a shape key

Post edited by andrewthedude on
  • Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151

Hi, I got a bit of a question, I exported a G8F figure to blender just like you said, and I end up having not just the morphs i intended to export successfully but every single morphs

More details later

You'll definitely need to explain what you mean as it should only export what morphs are actively being used (under current in the parameters tab).

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

More details later

That means your wildcard was too inclusive or you selected all the morphs. You will get lots of morphs then that don't even work outside of DAZ Studio in other SW. You should read the list and exclude any morphs that have JCM in the title. Maybe MCM although I don't ever remember seeing those.