Why is Genesis 8 dependent on Genesis 3

PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
edited January 2018 in The Commons

So I recently nuked my content and I'm in the process of reinstalling. So far I only have Genesis 8 installed. 

When I loaded Genesis 8...I got the message in the image below which states:

Some assets needed to load the file were missing. The content may not work as expected. The following file could not be found:

data/daz 3d/genesis 3/female/genesis3female.dsf

I can and will load Genesis 3 but I'm wondering why does Genesis 8 require Genesis3? Can anyone explain it? 

Thanks

Pen

ad03d24cd88351a504e514571f4c59.jpg
721 x 716 - 176K
Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,255

Well it uses the G3 UV Maps by default. Maybe that's it? I would have thought that it came with them since it uses them though. The way Genesis 1 used the V4 UVs by default.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited January 2018

Thanks Jodel...I didn't know that. I knew the mapping was the same but I thought it had it's own maps just the same.

Yes, I would have thought it was set up in a similar manner to Genesis and V4...but looking back I don't think I ever had just Genesis set up on it's own.

Hmmm....I would think it should have mapping included as part of it's files even if it uses the same mapping though. 

Post edited by Pendraia on
  • JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,255
    edited January 2018

Well, the new eye geometry is different, but the rest of it is G3 UVs. Indeed *all* of the G8s use the base G3 UVs (haleluja!)

Post edited by JOdel on

Male and female? That's interesting...

• That's a reference to the Genesis 3 Female geometry file, which Genesis 8 shouldn't ​be calling, since it has it's own geometry file (data\daz 3d\genesis 8\female\genesis8female.dsf).

Could it be referencing it for the clone for Genesis 3? I wouldn't have thought it should be though. I must admit to feeling rather puzzled by it. I thought I had included the image of it in my first post but looks like I didn't attach it properly as it doesn't seem to be there now.

• Pendraia said:

Could it be referencing it for the clone for Genesis 3?

Nope, this is some kind of glitch. I'd reinstall your G8 and see if that fixes it.

• JessaiiJessaii Posts: 845

I just installed G8F on my laptop which is content empty and do not have this happen, so maybe something got bugged for you id def re-install :) 

Will do...thanks for the help.

• SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384

This is entirely a shot in the dark, but that sounds like something those auto adapted files might do, if they were preserved from your previous installation.

Autoadapted?I'm not sure what you mean by those...I used DIM to uninstall as it had installed all the files in the first place...doesn't that remove all of the files? Reinstalled via DIM also...I'm going to try what agent unawares and Silver have suggested.

edited January 2018

I uninstalled, deleted the package, redownloaded and just reinstalled and I'm getting the same problem. I'm just going to leave it for the moment and look at it when I'm fresh tomorrow. 

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,276
    Pendraia said:

I uninstalled, deleted the package, redownloaded and just reinstalled and I'm getting the same problem. I'm just going to leave it for the moment and look at it when I'm fresh tomorrow. 

It wasn't clear whether you deleted the contents of the Autoadapted folder since simply deleting the program doesn't clear that. is it possible that you have a freebie or two that has a morph transfered from a G3 character or a product that has a dual G3/G8 version?

• RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631

i get this stuff every time when loading G8

and G3 is installed correctly

• rono64rono64 Posts: 55
    edited January 2018

I have had this problem in the past,

this solved this problem

Go here and find the file needed.

Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female

You need to copy the file (NOT MOVE THE ORIGINAL!!!!)

to here: Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 3\Female

Not sure why it is looking in the G3 location for this file, but this does solve the problem.

Post edited by rono64 on
  • jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

Do not copy the file.  Find the faulty product that is giving this error, report it then delete it and wait for fixed update.

• Edited the opening post to remove the nude figure from the screenshot.

Go to Help>Ttroubleshooting>View Log just after loading the figure, then scroll to the end - if you look backwards you should find the name of the .dsf file that is triggering the misload (presumably something hand-edited incorrectly by the creator).

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

are you loading the g8f base?  or a character preset?

nemesis10 said:
    Pendraia said:

It wasn't clear whether you deleted the contents of the Autoadapted folder since simply deleting the program doesn't clear that. is it possible that you have a freebie or two that has a morph transfered from a G3 character or a product that has a dual G3/G8 version?

rono64 said:

I have had this problem in the past,

this solved this problem

Go here and find the file needed.

Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female

You need to copy the file (NOT MOVE THE ORIGINAL!!!!)

to here: Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 3\Female

Not sure why it is looking in the G3 location for this file, but this does solve the problem.

Thanks for the info...I will give it a try when I wake up more fully.

Richard, I had covered the bits that might offend with black boxes...Is it still not allowed? I did wonder where it went. I thought I had made an error trying to upload. Thank you for letting me know what happened. I will not attempt to upload pictures like that in future.

edited January 2018

Okay, I'm  a bit more awake and I just checked my data files. Mine are in a different spot as my content is installed on an external hard drive.

Checked in the Genesis 8 female data file and there is no Genesis3Female.dsf which makes sense as there shouldn't be. Checked in the clone folder and the file is called CloneGenesis3Female so that shouldn't be causing the issue. There are no Genesis3Female.dsf files in the Genesis8 Data file. So I'm going to install Genesis 3 and see what happens. If that fixes it I will put in a bug report as it shouldn't be calling on another figures file like this. Maybe someone in their tech area can explain what needs to happen.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help!

Just wanted to add...I got curious and decided to open the Genesis 8 file in notepad. the only reference to Genesis 3 that I found was this

"node_library" : [

{

"id" : "Genesis8Female",

"name" : "Genesis8Female",

"id_aliases" : [ "Genesis8Male" ],

"name_aliases" : [ "Genesis8Male", "Genesis3Female" ],

Could this be causing the issue? I'm not sure what the name_aliases are about? Anyone know?

• Pendraia said:
    Richard, I had covered the bits that might offend with black boxes...Is it still not allowed? I did wonder where it went. I thought I had made an error trying to upload. Thank you for letting me know what happened. I will not attempt to upload pictures like that in future.

No, black bars and the like are not allowed. Puttng the viewport in smooth sahded mode would have worked, but I couldn't do that for you.

Pendraia said:

Okay, I'm  a bit more awake and I just checked my data files. Mine are in a different spot as my content is installed on an external hard drive.

Checked in the Genesis 8 female data file and there is no Genesis3Female.dsf which makes sense as there shouldn't be. Checked in the clone folder and the file is called CloneGenesis3Female so that shouldn't be causing the issue. There are no Genesis3Female.dsf files in the Genesis8 Data file. So I'm going to install Genesis 3 and see what happens. If that fixes it I will put in a bug report as it shouldn't be calling on another figures file like this. Maybe someone in their tech area can explain what needs to happen.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help!

Just wanted to add...I got curious and decided to open the Genesis 8 file in notepad. the only reference to Genesis 3 that I found was this

"node_library" : [

{

"id" : "Genesis8Female",

"name" : "Genesis8Female",

"id_aliases" : [ "Genesis8Male" ],

"name_aliases" : [ "Genesis8Male", "Genesis3Female" ],

Could this be causing the issue? I'm not sure what the name_aliases are about? Anyone know?

It isn't in the main .dsf, it will be in an asset file for an add-on - as I suggested above if you check the log file it should report the issue and tell you which file caused it, which may be enough to figure out which product it is.

Thanks for the explanation Richard. I wasn't aware that black bars are no longer sufficient here. As I said earlier, I won't do it again...sorry that it happened this time. I do not expect you to fix mistakes that I make.

Sorry I missed your mention of the log file earlier. I will check it.

edited January 2018

Looked in the log file and found this 

2018-01-15 14:27:41.939 Loaded file: genesis 8 basic female.duf
    2018-01-15 14:27:42.343 Could not resolve : "/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 3/Female/Genesis3Female.dsf"

which is pretty much what the error message I quoted in the original post said.

I have installed Genesis 3 and the problem has vanished. 

Not sure if this is a glitch or how it's meant to be...I will try and work out how to put a report in and log what happened. 

Thanks again to everyone for trying to help.

• That's annoying - I was hoping it would tell you which asset files was calling for the Genesis 3 file. It should be possible to search through the Genesis 8 data folder for Genesis3Female.dsf with a tool that will search for text inside compressed files, but that's a bit of a performance.

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,851

Just manually downloaded (I don't use DIM) the current version of the G8F starter essentials, installed it into a brand new content directory, removed every other content directory from DS4.9, closed it and restarted and loaded G8F without any issues.

I should add that unlike most of you I uninstall the CMS when I update my version of DS (I refuse to have that PoS on my system), as a result I don't have the (not so) Smart content, any database, Connect doesn't work and DS can't connect to the DAZ Cloud.

As a result I don't have the CMS interfering with the native functions in DS, and without any other content directories it means DS can only see and load the content from the G8F starter essentials.

I suspect it's the CMS and a corrupt database or even badly done metadata that's causing your problem.

• Bejaymac said:

Just manually downloaded (I don't use DIM) the current version of the G8F starter essentials, installed it into a brand new content directory, removed every other content directory from DS4.9, closed it and restarted and loaded G8F without any issues.

I should add that unlike most of you I uninstall the CMS when I update my version of DS (I refuse to have that PoS on my system), as a result I don't have the (not so) Smart content, any database, Connect doesn't work and DS can't connect to the DAZ Cloud.

As a result I don't have the CMS interfering with the native functions in DS, and without any other content directories it means DS can only see and load the content from the G8F starter essentials.

I suspect it's the CMS and a corrupt database or even badly done metadata that's causing your problem.

I suspect you are wrong. The depenencies are determined by the references in the actual asset files, not by the CMS, so my bet is a typo in a hand-edited file (either a Genesis 3 Female file used as a template for Genesis 8 Female or a simple fumble hand-inserting a references in a new/modified Genesis 8 Female file).

• JessaiiJessaii Posts: 845
    Bejaymac said:

To test I installed DS 4.10 and the G8F starter essentials only on my new laptop, and i do use CMS and DIM and i had no call like the OP was getting. So i dont think that is the answer. 

edited January 2018

Bejaymac said:

I suspect you are wrong. The depenencies are determined by the references in the actual asset files, not by the CMS, so my bet is a typo in a hand-edited file (either a Genesis 3 Female file used as a template for Genesis 8 Female or a simple fumble hand-inserting a references in a new/modified Genesis 8 Female file).

Thanks for the help Richard. I haven't edited any of the files that I've installed. I've only got a small number of files installed in that content folder as I want to organise as I go along. I haven't even edited any of the parameter paths on anything. The error message came up on a newly installed DS with only the Genesis 8 female starter essentials installed. Like I said earlier installing Genesis 3 has made the message disappear and I think finding why it did in the first place is going to be impossible to discover.

I will put in a bug report though...but it does look like it was unique to my computer. This upgrade did take a while to get the cms working and I did have to uninstall the cms and DS and redownload a number of times before getting the cms working. 

My DIM since the latest upgrade is very slow to sign in and I've noticed there has been more download failures than previously. I uninstalled it yesterday and redownloaded it but it is still slow so there may be some incompatibility on my computer which is causing that to happen. There is a reason why they like to test things on a wide variety of machines...; )  So it may well be it is a corrupt file or an incompatibility that is causing these things to occur.  I need to get a move on and organise a new computer...had the money for one for a while just dithering about what to actually buy. Who knows that may sort the issues out.

As DS and the CMS are currently working I'm loath to uninstall it. 

Thanks Bejaymac and Silver for being willing to test and see if you can reproduce it.

• Well, I was thinking hand edited by a content creator but if there's no extra content isntalled that won't fly.

Nope I don't think it will...I'm going to consider this one of life's little mysteries that are sent to stymy us.Thanks again for the help...