ISO Desktop for iray rendering

I am searching for a Windows 10 desktop that can be used for iray rendering.   I do not know my exact budget but it would be between five hundred and a thousand.  I will know more when I get my W2.

Is it true that Windows 10 pro is better than home for when it comes to keeping the computer from restarting for random updates during a  render?

What other specs do I really need but what others can I get the minimum until later?

Comments

• ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255

Can you wait? The prices of graphics cards, which you really need for iray, are beyond insane right now. Something like $200-400 or more above normal price for just about any of the good graphics cards. 

And as far as Windows 10 Pro, IMO don't bother. It's not necessary to pay the extra, for the average user. It allows you to access a computer remotely over a network, but if you need that there are  much better free alternatives. And I've never had W10 restart from random updates.

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,676

Yeah, I would wait. The 1070 I bought a while back is going for more than double what I paid for it, at least online prices in canada(amazon etc), where I bought it from.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,602

...W10 Pro Edition allows you to defer updating to a later date and have more control over your system.  A number of systems already come bundled with Pro Edition. 

With Home Edition you are pretty much at the mercy of Microsquish.

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,354
    edited January 2018
    ebergerly said:

Can you wait? The prices of graphics cards, which you really need for iray, are beyond insane right now. Something like $200-400 or more above normal price for just about any of the good graphics cards. 

And as far as Windows 10 Pro, IMO don't bother. It's not necessary to pay the extra, for the average user. It allows you to access a computer remotely over a network, but if you need that there are  much better free alternatives. And I've never had W10 restart from random updates.

WOW! What happened?. I just looked at some of the prices after reading your post. Even 8 months ago the GTX 1070 was inflated because of the bitcoin miners but I was able to get a GTX 1080ti at normal market price . Now everything, even the GTX 1080ti, is like 1.5 times higher than it was then; and the GTX 1070 is more than I paid for the GTX 1080ti.

Post edited by Charlie Judge on
    edited January 2018

...unable to find a new 1070, 1080 or 1080 Ti at Newegg here in the States.  I keep getting directed to their India site with everything priced in Rupees.  Amazon's prices for a standard 1070 are outrageous, in a number of cases, more than double the original price when it was released.

Given this, a Titan Xp direct from Nvida would be a better deal as that's still 1,200$.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • davesodaveso Posts: 6,466

yes, even the 1050ti is up by a lot. The 1070, 80 are as much as a complete system. I paid less for my i7 4970 with 16 gig ram and 2t hard drive..although it has built in graphics...wo i use CPU for iray renders. slow.

edited January 2018

...from what I have been reading the price jumps are being caused by several factors. Primarily it has to do with the fact the cryptocurrency mining craze has seen no signs of falling off due to the continued rise in Bitcoin and other crypto currency value.  Since this time last year, Bitcoin has risen in value from 815$ to 14,191$ today.  Due to this, the cryptomining market shows no signs of relaxing so consequently retailers are continuing to experience difficulty keeping units in stock.  This is being compounded by reports of a DRAM shortage, that is also affecting DDR4 memory prices which have steadily increased as well.  Another contributing factor being cited is the rise in popularity of a game known as PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds in China which a very graphics rich online game that requires at least a mid level GPU card in order to play. Finally there is also the feeling that card akers like ASUS, MSI, and EGVA are clearing production lanes for the next generation of Nvidia consumer cards expected to hit the market.

A lot of factors involved and they don't bode well for gamers or us.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,744

I have to wait until I have the funds on my card but first I need my W2.

• I'm looking to buy a new computer too, so this is all news to me! Very worrying since this will be a big upgrade for me. I'm even thinking about going back to a desktop just so I can keep the price down.

• sapatsapat Posts: 1,735
    kyoto kid said:

...W10 Pro Edition allows you to defer updating to a later date and have more control over your system.  A number of systems already come bundled with Pro Edition. 

As I write this, my husband's laptop is back at HP because his Win10 Home forced an update that killed his camera and it couldn't be rolled back or uninstalled, and it kept hijacking his computer while he was trying to work.  He spent hours with the support ppl in chat and on the phone and they said it can't be fixed.  They have to put a new camera in his laptop and reinstall windows.  So if he'd have had Win10 Pro, he could have prevented that update from installing.  The home version you can't.

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,354
    sapat said:
    kyoto kid said:

As I write this, my husband's laptop is back at HP because his Win10 Home forced an update that killed his camera and it couldn't be rolled back or uninstalled, and it kept hijacking his computer while he was trying to work.  He spent hours with the support ppl in chat and on the phone and they said it can't be fixed.  They have to put a new camera in his laptop and reinstall windows.  So if he'd have had Win10 Pro, he could have prevented that update from installing.  The home version you can't.

Unfortunately, I don't think that is exactly true. My understanding is that with Windows 10 Pro you can delay installing the update; but can't prevent it from installing altogether.  Then, again, I haven't upgraded to Windows 10 Pro so I could be wrong.

• sapat said:
    kyoto kid said:

Unfortunately, I don't think that is exactly true. My understanding is that with Windows 10 Pro you can delay installing the update; but can't prevent it from installing altogether.  Then, again, I haven't upgraded to Windows 10 Pro so I could be wrong.

Updats can be delayed for up to a week in Pro. I believe if you have the eenterprise version you can reject them outright.

I think you can tweak the registry in regular W10 to turn off updates. I don't think it's too big a deal.

OTOH, keep in mind that with all of these insane hacks that keep popping up, the updates (hopefully) prevent you from being hit. And in all my years of using W10, I can't recall ever having an issue with an update killing my system. And I've never been hit by any hacks in many decades of using Windows.

By the way, with GPU prices the way they are, it seems like a good money making opportunity for anyone who wants to sell a GPU to get a bunch of cash to buy the next generation GPU..............

I've got a brand new GTX 1060 that's I don't really use on my backup PC. Might trade it in for some easy cash.

sapat said:
    kyoto kid said:

Updats can be delayed for up to a week in Pro. I believe if you have the eenterprise version you can reject them outright.

...I read with Pro Edition, you could defer updates for up to 30 days to make sure any potential bugs were squashed before installing and could schedule a time for downloading when the system wasn't in demand for other tasks.

This was not an issue before forced updating in W10 and bundled updating for W7/8.1 as you could review each update file (which I always did through third party sources) and if the consensus was it had issues which could compromise or harm your system, you could avoid installing that particular one.

edited January 2018
    ebergerly said:

By the way, with GPU prices the way they are, it seems like a good money making opportunity for anyone who wants to sell a GPU to get a bunch of cash to buy the next generation GPU..............

I've got a brand new GTX 1060 that's I don't really use on my backup PC. Might trade it in for some easy cash.

...all the more I'm sticking to CPU rendering (primarily in 3DL thanks to IBL Master). I checked and am seeing 1070s going for as much as 900$ to 1,000$ and 1080 Ti's for upwards of 1,500$ on Amazon. Crikey if you are going to spend that much on a 1080 Ti, save up a bit more and get a Quadro P5000 with 16 GB of GDDR5X VRAM and 2,560 Cores at Dell for 1,799$.

• hphoenixhphoenix Posts: 1,335

For those looking for 1070, 1070ti, 1080ti cards......don't succumb to the scalpers on amazon.  Use a site like nowinstock.net to sign up for alerts when the items go back in stock on the major etailers.  You have to act fast when you get one, though.  They sell out quick these days......darn bitcoin-miners.....

• BendinggrassBendinggrass Posts: 1,367

There is a small program/"app" which I installed on my computer which does not permit my Windows 7 from loading any updayes. I have been using Win 7 for a few years now. 

Sorry I can't remember the name of that program. Others more informed might be able to help.

At the time I was concerned Microsoft might load up Win 10 without my permission. 

edited January 2018
    hphoenix said:

For those looking for 1070, 1070ti, 1080ti cards......don't succumb to the scalpers on amazon.  Use a site like nowinstock.net to sign up for alerts when the items go back in stock on the major etailers.  You have to act fast when you get one, though.  They sell out quick these days......darn bitcoin-miners.....

...I usually go through Newegg (more reputable compared to Amazon) but even there new 1080 Tis are priced between 1,300$ and 1,500$ (one EGVA card is  listed at 1,925$, crikey  I could get a Quadro P5000 with 16 GB for 125$ less from Dell).  Even "refurbished" (used) cards are over 1,000$.

• drzapdrzap Posts: 795
    edited January 2018

Here in China, I see no such price run-up on Taobao.  The prices are more or less in line with what I paid a few months ago.  Then again, bitcoin mining has been banned by the government, so...

Post edited by drzap on
    edited January 2018

...I read there is this one online game which has become quite popular there that you need a decent GPU card to play.

Yeah, I wish cryptomining was banned all world wide. I might actually be in be in the market for a 1070 in a couple months were that so.  Certainly not at 900$ - 1,000$.

• drzapdrzap Posts: 795
    kyoto kid said:

...I read there is this one online game which has become quite popular there that you need a decent GPU card to play.

Yeah, I wish cryptomining was banned all world wide. I might actually be in be in the market for a 1070 in a couple months were that so.  Certainly not at 900$ - 1,000$.

I don't know of such a game.  Games here are played by students.  Few high school students' parents allow them to have a computer, let alone a fancy video card.  Very much a study culture here  Most games I see kids playing are on their cellphones behind their parent's backs.   College students who are free of their parents do play a lot at the Internet Bars.  Go into one of those places and all you see is row upon row of kids playing League of Legends.  VR is big here among the "fuerdai" (parents are rich) and that requires a high end card.  But you only need one, unlike the miners.

• JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760
    kyoto kid said:

Your best be would probably be to  keep an eye on Nvidia's online store.
    https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/10series/geforce-store/
    Right now they have the Titan XP in stock for $1138, and the GTX 1060 6GB in stock for $299.
    And a notify me button on the GTX 1070 ti.

They limit purchases to a quantity of 2 so when they do come back in stock they shouldn't sell out immediatly.

Now on the other hand in two months we may be looking at the GTX 20xx series.

edited January 2018

...true they are holding the line on prices, however all cards bought directly from Nvida are Founders edition ones (single fan) so for the more powerful ones a waterblock and backplate might be needed sufficiently cool them during rendering (particularly the Titan Xp which is a monster consuming 250 W at peak output).

In comparison ehe 16 GB Quadro P5000 consumes a modest 180 W at peak in and has also been marked down to 1,999$ at Nvidia and 1,799$ from Dell (originally 2,499$).

In any event I'd only be looking at one card as I'd be fortunate to scrape up the funds for that.

Did put a watch on the 1070, as like I mentioned it probably offers the best performance for the price.  The Ti version  has more cores and a slightly faster clock rate but that jumps the price by 40$ and it consumes an additional 30W at peak output.  Just having 8 GB and close to 2,000 cores would be a significant improvement from what I have been experiencing with Iray.