How to import skinned body part or cloth?

InuGamesInuGames Posts: 65
edited January 2018 in The Commons

I created a body part for Victoria 8 that should go around the eye (look at the pic below). It should work similar to default Eyelashes. In particular, it should move with the eyelids, but not with the eyes. It's skinned to eyelid bones and works well in maya: when I close or move eyelids it moves with them exactly like I want. Now, the part I don'understand:

How do I make it work with the rest of the body in Daz? I imported the mesh (fbx), it shows up in the correct place, now what?

I tried transfer utility, but it totaly destroys the skinning.

Any help?

Capture.PNG
715 x 322 - 425K
Capture.PNG
642 x 340 - 22K
Post edited by InuGames on

Comments

• You will, I fear, have to redo the rigging in Daz Studio.

• InuGamesInuGames Posts: 65
    edited January 2018

You will, I fear, have to redo the rigging in Daz Studio.

You mean with the transfer utility? My problem with  the transfer utility is that it skins my mesh to the eye itself and it's wrong.

Is there some tool in Daz where you can edit skinning? Like copy weights and hammer weights in maya? That would be enough.

I'm sorry, I'm still new to Daz and I'm lost in all those menus...

• Yes, you can use the Node Weight Map Brush, along with the Geometry Editor for selections and the Tool Settings pane, to edit weight maps after the first-pass rigging is done with the Transfer Utility.

• InuGamesInuGames Posts: 65
    edited January 2018

Ok, I think I found out how to do it without redoing anything in Daz. So, I just write the steps here for memory:

Step 0: export g8f, open in maya, create your new mesh and rig to g8f skeleton. Export the new mesh and the skeleton (not the g8f body) as fbx.

Step 1: import in Daz, you should have a Genesis 8 Female node with your mesh inside. You should see your mesh and the G8f skeleton. Unparent your mesh from Genesis 8 Female node. Delete the G8F female node. Now you have only your mesh node.

Step 2: click on your mesh, go to Edit>Object>Set Default Compatibility Bases. Fill in the form. Important part, content type should be "Follower > attachement > ..." and compatibility base /preferred base should be "Genesis 8/Female/...", like in the pic before.

Step 4: save th .duf

Step 5: you can now fit it to basic g8f figure or to victoria 8 using "Fit to..." command.

Which is pretty awesome!

Capture.PNG
    839 x 211 - 37K
  • I wasn't aware that that would work - though I'm not sure there aren't some unplanned consequences even so.

• Until now it's working allright, I will update if there are some unplanned consequnces