Architecture

VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,496

How would you model architecture? Weld all parts -- stairs, raillings, walls, ceiling,floor, etc -- together or leave it all separate?

Comments

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879

Depends on how modular you want the set to be.

• cherpenbeckcherpenbeck Posts: 1,409

If possible, group it, but not weld it!

• dragotxdragotx Posts: 1,134

My sentiments exactly, and preferably have multiple groups, like North Wall components, south Wall components, staircase A, staircase B, etc. It makes it much easier to find various bits you need to hide to make the scene work better, either for lighting or camera angles. And being able to go in and flat delete entire portions of the scene as needed is a huge time saver
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879

The problem with that is that it makes it very time consuming to hide things and far more time consuming to save stuff out.  Seperate surfaces for walls and ceiling are better and more streamlined.  The mesh takes very little vram compared to textures.

• Mattymanx said:

The problem with that is that it makes it very time consuming to hide things and far more time consuming to save stuff out.  Seperate surfaces for walls and ceiling are better and more streamlined.  The mesh takes very little vram compared to textures.

If it's a grouped figure just select the parts, which should be no slower than selecting the surfaces, and turn off visibility for all at once via the parameters pane.

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882

I'm working (okay, mostly at the planning stages) on a small apartment (none of the ones out there meet my needs) and I plan using the Dream House setup as a guide... so each room grouped by wall, but with one surface group each for walls, trims, etc.  I just find it faster to hit the "eye" on the scene tab to turn off a given wall than to have to adjust the surfaces tab for each one.