Converting DAZ Scenes to DUF Scenes and auto_adapted

2»

Comments

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited May 2013

A .duf file can point to pretty much anything DS can load, what Spooky is talking about is converting the content into DS4 assets instead of DS3 or earlier items so that the .duf is pointing to simple native objects, not objects that need to be imported.

So how do we save earlier assets as ds4.x assets so we don't have these issues? Can someone please elaborate and clarify... There's been a lot of talking around the subject and no one as far as I can see has just simply explained this.

I'm not quite sure why we're just getting a lot of 'nope that won't work either' rather then what will work.

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
  • ken_7dac5ac5a2ken_7dac5ac5a2 Posts: 54
    edited May 2013

A .duf file can point to pretty much anything DS can load, what Spooky is talking about is converting the content into DS4 assets instead of DS3 or earlier items so that the .duf is pointing to simple native objects, not objects that need to be imported.

I tried saving the ClydePuffer scene as as Support Asset | Scene Asset per Spooky's 2nd suggestion. (I don't understand the first one.) My observations:

The reference to ClydePuffer.obj is still there.
    There are still references to "/data/auto_adapted/ClydePuffer25_63029/xxx"
    There are a lot of references to "/Runtime/Textures/ClydePuffer/xxx".
    The DUF files are approximately the same size.
    It is not any harder to do this than to save it as a Scene.

It looks like it would need both the auto_adapted directory and the original Runtime/Textures directories.

So what is the difference, and what did I accomplish.

Post edited by ken_7dac5ac5a2 on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Since it also has the reference to the .obj file, it will work even if the auto_adapted files are missing. The problem is not with items loaded from the Poser runtime and saved as .duf, it's .daz files resaved as .duf -- since the .daz files don't have the reference to the Poser geometry, the .duf file can't refer back to it if the auto_adapted files are missing (although the rest of the scene will load and the .duf is plain text, so it's fixable).

edited May 2013

Since it also has the reference to the .obj file, it will work even if the auto_adapted files are missing. The problem is not with items loaded from the Poser runtime and saved as .duf, it's .daz files resaved as .duf -- since the .daz files don't have the reference to the Poser geometry, the .duf file can't refer back to it if the auto_adapted files are missing (although the rest of the scene will load and the .duf is plain text, so it's fixable).

OK, that helps. Guess I should look at saving a DAZ file.
    With what I did, they both have a reference to the .obj file and they are both plain text.
    Why use one rather than the other?

As long as I keep the auto_adapted directory around, is it ok to save a DAZ file as a Scene (resulting in a DUF)?

Later: I tried saving my Firey Victoria tutorial scene starting with the DAZ scene. My observations:

The Scene file has a lot of references to .objs (like "C:/Users/evans/Documents/DAZ Studio/DAZ Content/Runtime/Geometries/DAZPeople/blMilWom_v4b.obj" (with full path).
    It is much larger.
    The Scene Asset version also saved a directory "Firey Victoria.SceneAsset Objects". It contains Jamie_V4.duf but not other things like blMilWom_v4b. It is not very big, so the total for the Screen Asset version is much smaller.

In addition, the Screen Asset version lost the background. Thus it looks like that (Spooky's suggestion) is the the wrong thing to do.
    Comment?

I am, of course, still confused.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,884
    edited December 1969

Saving a .daz file as a .duf may not keep a useful reference to the OBJ, at least not in all cases (I think saving the OBJ reference was introduced with the content creation tools, so that the CR2 exporter would work).

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited December 1969

I remember when I first up-dated to duf version daz studio 4 beta,
    many saved .daz scene files by old version, could not save as duf well.
    or some .daz scene could not load.

I seldom save (or have not saved )as duf scene assets. I usually use save as scene (preset) .duf only

then about my case,, to say true,, I delete auto-adapted files my contents directory with intention.
    (actually I regret,, though I hope to know what really happen, if I delete them.
    I needed to keep copy ^^;)

every saved duf scene which include .daz assets (prop scene etc) seems broken.
    I thought all files may broken (which call auto-adapted files)
    but cr2 figures can load. I can not clear say but pp2 may load .

I have never saved .daz scene, after I update my daz studio to duf version,,
    I corrected all .daz scene files which can reuse, and saved it as duf already.

so I can not clear,, which duf are made from .daz scene I saved before.

I can say,, cr2. or pp2 seems no problem. but about some case,, I think, ds can not load some material
    of assets,, I think it is layered image .

Now I a over 50 scene,, check and re-make,, or delete ,
    then if I made the scene from .daz file,, the geometry must be lost.
    (I have no plan to manually edit duf code, and set path etc,, ^^; )

I believe if I keep auto-adapted files , these duf files have not broken, not lost path.
    but I hope not to use .daz scene product .

so I requested before,, please change to duf . if vendor can. (for ds 4.5 user)

I think if the assets need auto-adapted files to save as duf,,
    (which auto made without user intention,
    and we can not set name, set directory, and they overwrite without telling us, when we use the assets)
    we can not say these assets, keep true compatibility for ds 4.5 and duf format.
    we can use it but not good for ds 4.5

I do not agains vendor or daz programmers, but I feel
    if it is no problem , daz need not to change file format and file name to duf.

dazassets.JPG
    769 x 573 - 108K
    edited May 2013

I am not getting answers to my questions. In particular, the terse moderator responses are not very useful. This is an observation, not a complaint. I don't intend to complain. In the absence of qualified technical support, we rely on user support. This is my contribution:

1. I have converted about a dozen .daz scenes to .duf scenes by using Save As | Scene. I am saving to a sub-directory of one of my DAZ Studio Formats content directories, and it only has scenes and generated content, not installed content. I started doing this with DS 4.5, but the DAZ scenes go back to at least DS 2. They may have been re-saved in the interim.. They all work now. My content directories have changed significantly, especially when DIM was introduced. However, the current DAZ scenes work so all the required and generated content is there and found.

2. In all cases the DUF scenes load correctly in DS 4.6. I am doing this on only one computer. I have not tried moving anything to another computer. The point is that this procedure is working for me. I still can open my old scenes and use them -- what I and most others want, and I am using the currently-suggested format.

3. If I remove the auto_adapted directory then most, but not all, of the DUF scenes have missing assets and do not load. So you do have to keep the auto_adapted directory around in my case, at least. I have found moving the directories in auto_adapted to another auto_adapted in a different content directory in my lists works just as well. That is, they seem to be moveable. There may be circumstances where that does not happen, but I haven't discovered any.

4. Trying to use Save As | Support Asset | Scene Asset, as suggested by Spooky, did not reproduce the scene correctly in one of the two cases I tried. Thus, I would not suggest using that way.

5. If you save in a sub-directory of a content directory then it goes into the data directory at the root of that content directory. Otherwise it goes to the data directory at the root of the first directory in the DAZ Studio Formats list. This is an observation based on my tests. IMHO this goes a long way in helping you manage your generated content. The fact that DUF files are human-readable also helps.

I will reiterate that this is my experience. In particular, the same approach may not work in other cases, and it is certainly not the full answer nor an explanation of what it is supposed to be doing nor of what is the best thing to do. E.g YMMV.

Seems to work for me, and I understand much better what is happening than when I started this topic. Thanks especially to Bejaymac.

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited May 2013

... I understand much better what is happening than when I started this topic. Thanks especially to Bejaymac.

I don't fully understand all of the underpinnings of this either but I agree with the the statement here wholeheartedly :)

Thank you also to anyone who took the time to try to help here even if the answers weren't fully understood. Perhaps when I learn more they will be more useful.

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
  • SeiginotoraSeiginotora Posts: 106
    edited December 1969

I'm pretty much having a similar problem. I have a TON of .daz files and characters and sometimes, when I open them in the current Daz Studio build they load up all right. But more often than not, they load up with clothing and/or hair and/or props missing. So basically, the issue is that you'd have to remake the characters and scenes all over again and save them as .duf files. And frankly it'd be easier if there was a way to just convert the .daz files to .duf files on the spot. But from what I can see there doesn't seem to be a simple way of doing that.