Garibaldi vs. Look At My Hair - which is better overall/better for an amateur?

Comments

• Alessandro MastronardiAlessandro Mastronardi Posts: 2,593
    edited May 2013

dkgoose said:
    I went ahead and purchased it, I will try getting a log file when I get home, if i get one with the plugin like i did with the player, and put it on my laptop so i can send from work tomorrow. Hopefully I will be able to play with it when i get home tonight, are there any text tutorials for the plugin or just the video ones?

dkgoose said:
    i too have issues with the player crashing, i'm not sure if maybe it has to do with windows 8 or something else, my drivers i believe are up to date, the drivers were all downloaded online in march wheni buit the pc, but I have no internet where I live so there may be updates i should install

What graphic card, drivers version you have? When you get a chance, if you can email me the log file, I can take a look at what's going on (info_at_alessandromastronardi.com) .
    BTW, new player update coming very soon with several fixes...

No written tutorials at this time, sorry. But if you need any help let me know.

Post edited by Alessandro Mastronardi on
  • DkgooseDkgoose Posts: 1,451
    edited December 1969

ok, will do, i'll try downloading some of the video ones before i go home :)

edited December 1969

dkgoose said:
    ok, will do, i'll try downloading some of the video ones before i go home :)

In case it didn't come through the installer readme (that happens sometimes), here is a link to latest manual PDF: http://www.furrythings.com/LAMH.Manual.1.0.pdf

• Mr BowenMr Bowen Posts: 396
    edited May 2013

Can LAMH create the same results pictured in the promo pictures for Garibaldi? I.E. the photo realism,softness, shininess, non-frizz and smoothness in the Lion and the blonde hair examples. The hair strands and hairlines seem more realistic than in some of the LAMH promos. Not meant to be an insult, just wondering.

Post edited by Mr Bowen on
  • araneldonaraneldon Posts: 712
    edited December 1969

I'm trying to decide which one to buy and right now Garibaldi is in the lead because AFAIK it doesn't have any kind of online activation and the promos look more impressive in terms of realism. LAMH's one advantage is the general purpose instancing, but I'd perhaps rather see a more versatile dedicated implementation of that functionality.

A question to users of both plugins, how do they compare in terms of stability? Any crashes or other bugs?

Also has anyone seen futurebisquit around? Any idea what their plans are for the future of Garibaldi?

edited December 1969

Mr Bowen said:
    Can LAMH create the same results pictured in the promo pictures for Garibaldi? I.E. the photo realism,softness, shininess, and smoothness in the Lion and the blonde hair examples. The hair strands and hairlines seem more realistic than in some of the LAMH promos. Not meant to be an insult, just wondering.

Hi, we have developed a shader which is performing multiple light scattering and is particularly designed to be used on human hair, being capable of producing a high coefficient of shininess and reflectance on hair.
    Such shader is currently available only with the Player, but will obviously be integrated in the upcoming update.

I do feel however (and this is my personal opinion) that our "Standard Shader", currently shipped in 1.0, is very fit for animal fur, and that a shader which enhances too much reflectance and shininess, while looking good for humans, it's not particularly suitable on animal fur.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,576
    edited May 2013

...I actually have Garibaldi Express. I must say it is very intuitive and some of the tests I've done have been quite encouraging. Granted, one has to render to see the final results but with the much improved 3Delight and spot render capability in 4.6, that isn't such a big a deal since it is easy to switch back & forth (and it renders very quick).

Admittedly a tablet would be a bit more efficient for the painting phase (unfortunately cannot use one due to severe arthritis) but getting very use to working with my trackball. Like LAMH Garibaldi Express can also export a .obj file to be used in other apps. The only thing I do notice is that it needs to be styled to fit the pose of the character which again isn't all that difficult as one can just go back into "Edit" and do it with more precision than standard pose/morph sliders are able to (which are limited to the bones the hair model is rigged with).

What would be nice is to see are actual final render comparisons between the two plugins (as I hoped would have been provided).

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • edited December 1969

For me LAMH is the best hair/fur solution. Clean interface, powerful tools, easy to use and lot of nice features like instancing. I especially like the deformers that allow to quickly shape hairs and I hope the dev's will add some more. And I can't wait to get the human hair shader and pane on the full version too :)

edited December 1969

...I never could get DFormers to work properly since ver. 1.7. I'd rather just style the hair outright than wrangle with them to match the flow of the hair to the pose.

And instancing, while nice, places a heavy demand on memory and processor resources.

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,491
    edited December 1969

@Kyoto Kid: I think rather than to say the deformers don't 'work properly' you're trying to say that the uniformity of them doesn't suit your styling needs.
    here's a tip: after applying some deformer, add a tiny (and i do mean in tiny increments) of tilt roots to add variation. :)

But honestly I use that mostly on bulk surface fur. When i style human hair, I may use a z or y deform in tiny bits, and alternate with brushing, to get what I want. The deform is only for small amounts of force, not styling.

Instancing is only as heavy as the prop you're instancing. I know you're on a slow macchine, but I added 1 million clover to the scene on a 4gb ram laptop, without problems. I have exported 2 million hair obj on the same laptop without issues.

Also the human hair shader that is in the player is awesome!!! wait till its in the new full version. WOOT!!!!

Of course I prefer using Fisty's sparkly shaders on hair.... I just like the look and i can't help that. :)

And LAMH is getting faster and faster. It's amazing what Alessandro and Kendall can do. :D

edited May 2013

...try as I may, I could never even get DFormers to work with clothing fits right. I know others have, I just couldn't figure out how to get them to a more precise level to do the fine tuning I needed which is why I gave up on them.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

Uh.. are we talking about the same deformers? Oo
    I'm confused now. Oops. >_<</p>

I was talking about the w y z shapers in LAMH, not actual Daz deforms that you apply to a geometry like clothing.
    However I can advise, for clothing and you don't want to use Deformers, and smoothing isn't doing it for you... use the lovely free warp plugin to draw on displacement and convert to morphs. :) https://sites.google.com/site/mcasualsdazscripts3/mcjwarp

edited December 1969

...well, the standard Daz "DFormers" which you load from the 'Create" menu are the only ones I know of.

edited December 1969

ok yea definitely not talking about the same deformers! HEH.

LAMH has its own kind of deformer which apply an overall gravity going on any axis you prefer... Y axis down will give you gravity effect, opposite will make the hair rise up :) x will pull the hair side to side and z will pull th ehair front and back.

Using the daz deformers on LAMH will not work. And for any detailed style you will need to brush the hair and style it anyway. I use the overall LAMH deform just for general directional shape and then style it from there. Fur often doesn't need much styling... just add all the fur surface, grow a short hair, add some different hair length, gravity Y, and a tiny bit of tilt roots... depending on animal size i make the hair strand larger, and usually about 1, mill or 2 mill hairs...

human hair i usually have about 60 thousand.

:)

• DkgooseDkgoose Posts: 1,451
    edited December 1969

So I got activated after realizing my installation code I couldn't find was the serial daz puts in your account, which I was entering in the serial box, lol. I just played with it with emotiguy clueless as to what I was doing but fun, however when rendering the hair was very light and couldn't see much of it but I'm sure I missed a lot of steps, so far it looks fun though

edited December 1969

Thank you, Alessandro_AM, for your reply. The frizzy ends can bee cool too. I wanted to make sure the ends can be soft with your software too. I do appreciate you and Kendall coming here on the forums.

edited December 1969

dkgoose said:
    So I got activated after realizing my installation code I couldn't find was the serial daz puts in your account, which I was entering in the serial box, lol. I just played with it with emotiguy clueless as to what I was doing but fun, however when rendering the hair was very light and couldn't see much of it but I'm sure I missed a lot of steps, so far it looks fun though

Usually when the hair is very fine and thin, its because the figure is big :) you can do two things. First of all, when you click export, look at the field where it says "hair quantity." Click in that section and try increasing the hair quality to something like 60,000 and while your cursor is still in that field, hit ENTER or the number will not take effect. :) then export and test your render again. Note that if there is more than 1 hair group you need to select each group and change the hair quantity individually in the full player.

If that did not fix it, click on the wheel icon in LAMH, that is next to the hair sign. Again, you do this for each group. increase the root size (maybe 400?) and root size (try 100?) and see how it looks after exporting again.

Good luck :)

• joea64_bdfaa5ca94joea64_bdfaa5ca94 Posts: 298
    edited December 1969

Got started testing LAMH today (at last!), but I don't have anything to show yet - I tried to get a render on the V4 figure I had exported my first (clumsy) attempt at doing a "Gibson Girl" hairstyle to, and I got a message saying there was an error in rendering the scene (I was using vanilla 3Delight). Any suggestions?

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

joea64 said:
    Got started testing LAMH today (at last!), but I don't have anything to show yet - I tried to get a render on the V4 figure I had exported my first (clumsy) attempt at doing a "Gibson Girl" hairstyle to, and I got a message saying there was an error in rendering the scene (I was using vanilla 3Delight). Any suggestions?

Hi Joea64,

Was this a render straight from an export from LAMH->Studio, or a render from a save to a preset and then loaded into studio?

Kendall

edited December 1969

joea64 said:

Hi Joea64,

Was this a render straight from an export from LAMH->Studio, or a render from a save to a preset and then loaded into studio?

Kendall

What I did was to load my favorite Victoria 4.2 character (a .duf file) into LAMH, experiment with creating a hairstyle, exported it to Studio, and then attempted the 3Delight render. I didn't get a specific error message that I remember, just a popup saying that the render couldn't be done.

edited December 1969

Mr Bowen said:
    Thank you, Alessandro_AM, for your reply. The frizzy ends can bee cool too. I wanted to make sure the ends can be soft with your software too. I do appreciate you and Kendall coming here on the forums.

My pleasure, please let me know if you need any help or suggestion :)

edited December 1969

joea64 said:
    joea64 said:

Hi Joea64,

Kendall

What I did was to load my favorite Victoria 4.2 character (a .duf file) into LAMH, experiment with creating a hairstyle, exported it to Studio, and then attempted the 3Delight render. I didn't get a specific error message that I remember, just a popup saying that the render couldn't be done.

Hmmm. If you can replicate that behaviour, please send the "logFile.txt" from the Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/lookatmyhairAM folder to me at "krsears (at) trdc.biz" so that I may determine a possible cause for your render failure.

Kendall

edited December 1969

joea64 said:
    joea64 said:

Hi Joea64,

Kendall

Hmmm. If you can replicate that behaviour, please send the "logFile.txt" from the Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/lookatmyhairAM folder to me at "krsears (at) trdc.biz" so that I may determine a possible cause for your render failure.

Kendall

I did save the project file, so I'll try it again next time I start Studio and get that log file for you.

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823
    edited December 1969

HAH! watch out, that's how it starts! "i just want to make a couple hair to meet MY requirements..."
    Next thing you know, you're staring dreamily at a stranger's hair at a bus stop

I had somehow missed this comment when I read through the thread before... What if someone already do stare dreamily at hair and wonders hwo to get their figures to have THAT hair... *grins* I don't even have the player yet.. which reminds me, any news of on the next version of the free one? (Granted, I might have missed any news on that lately due to being to distracted with the pesky thing called real life.. and pulling all nighters in Daz)

edited December 1969

joea64 said:
    joea64 said:
    joea64 said:

Hi Joea64,

Kendall

Kendall

I did save the project file, so I'll try it again next time I start Studio and get that log file for you.

Well, wouldn't you know it: I went into LAMH just now to get you that log file, but the rendering worked perfectly, no error messages. So now I have three renders (front, side and back) of my very first LAMH attempt. I must say, it looks more like Bride of Frankenstein than a proper Edwardian-era hairstyle. :P Want to have a look at it and tell me what I'm blundering at?

edited December 1969

joea64 said:
    joea64 said:
    joea64 said:
    joea64 said:

Hi Joea64,

Kendall

Kendall

Well, wouldn't you know it: I went into LAMH just now to get you that log file, but the rendering worked perfectly, no error messages. So now I have three renders (front, side and back) of my very first LAMH attempt. I must say, it looks more like Bride of Frankenstein than a proper Edwardian-era hairstyle. :P Want to have a look at it and tell me what I'm blundering at?
    When you go to export the hair, the export window has a space for hair quantity. Can you tell me tha number? for human hair I enter between 60,000 hair to 100,000 hair. If you change it inthe LAMH window, hit ENTER when you finish typing the numbers, or else i stays a what it was but number is still new. ;)

Feel free to PM me wih pics and questions.

edited December 1969

joea64 said:
    joea64 said:
    joea64 said:
    joea64 said:

Hi Joea64,

Kendall

Kendall

When you go to export the hair, the export window has a space for hair quantity. Can you tell me tha number? for human hair I enter between 60,000 hair to 100,000 hair. If you change it inthe LAMH window, hit ENTER when you finish typing the numbers, or else i stays a what it was but number is still new. ;)

I didn't think to get that one. I do remember, though, that for some reason I only got about 1100 follicles on that first exported project, whereas on an earlier (aborted) project, I got 80,000 or so follicles. I'm really not sure what I have to do to set the proper number of follicles for a head of human hair, so I guess I'll just have to go back and try again. I'll start up LAMH tomorrow and see what I can do to start a new project.

edited December 1969

@belovedalia: PM incoming. I think I'd better not inflict the horror of my first attempt on the community at large unless they really want to see it. :P

edited May 2013

Well, you convinced me to go with your product, Alessandro and Kendall. I picked it up over the weekend. I appreciate that you are continuing to expand the program. Thank you.

Post edited by Mr Bowen on
    edited December 1969

joea64 said:
    joea64 said:
    joea64 said:
    joea64 said:
    joea64 said:

Hi Joea64,

Kendall

Kendall

I didn't think to get that one. I do remember, though, that for some reason I only got about 1100 follicles on that first exported project, whereas on an earlier (aborted) project, I got 80,000 or so follicles. I'm really not sure what I have to do to set the proper number of follicles for a head of human hair, so I guess I'll just have to go back and try again. I'll start up LAMH tomorrow and see what I can do to start a new project.

For a "normal" head of hair, a 18-30 year old will have from 100K - 190K hairs on his/her head. The player has the most common densities listed in the dropdown for both young and aged based on the standards. Beards/mustaches vary by ethnicity. Body hair (non-pubic) usually will average about 1-3 hairs/cm^2 but can be as high as 8-10 on the arms/legs, again ethnicity plays a role in this.

Animals are different, a house cat will have about 2.5M hairs. Medium size dogs can have 4M or so. You can lower these counts by increasing the root size and tip size. There are whole reams of numbers.

LAMH has "shavegroups" that allow one to create areas of differing hair counts/densities/sizes/colors. So you could create a groups for head hair, beard, mustache, chest hair, etc. Each area can be further modified by using density maps (3D Paint section).

Quite a bit of power there, but also a bit of a learning curve. However, we've tried to flatten that out a bit. :-)

Kendall