Carrara Challenge #37 - Dungeons Deep - Winners Announced!

Comments

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,660

Could have easily voted for 21 of the entries !!!!!

Entry:  #7    Title: Treasure Guardian     Artist: Dustrider

Entry:  #8    Title:  The Zen of a Warrior Princess     Artist:  UnifiedBrain

Entry:  # 22    Title: The Lost Train     Artist: Varsel

Entry:   #23?   In Memorial - A vote for this one is a vote to WDGJohn     Title: The Last Farewell (John Star-walker!)     Artist:  WDGJohn via Stezza

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691

Once again, it was very very hard to make just four selections. Everyone is simply getting too good!!!!

Entry:  # 18
    Title: Max had promised to do the washing up, even on Sundays.... but that didnt save him from.... The Crypt!
    Artist: Headwax

What can I say but extremely well done. 

Entry:  #8
    Title:  The Zen of a Warrior Princess
    Artist:  UnifiedBrain

Entry:  # 19
    Title: Beware the Treasure!  (Part 1)
    Artist: Jonstark

Entry:   #23   In Memorial - A vote for this one is a vote to WDGJohn
    Title: The Last Farewell (John Star-walker!)
    Artist:  WDGJohn via Stezza

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Entry: #4
    Title: "Cave Explorer"
    Artist: Mark D. Olsen (MDO2010)
    Perfect composition. The ring of three rats is a smart trick.

Entry:  #9
    Title:  Herk and the Serpent Queen
    Lovely characters. I also like the muscle pattern on Freak's body and his facial expression

Entry:  #3
    Title: Spaceship of Horror
    Artist:  Diomede (Ted Murphy)
    A bright rim light would add to the visual impact, but anyway I like the overall scene.

Entry:  # 22
    Title: The Lost Train
    Artist: Varsel

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922

my votes 

Entry: #4
    Title: "Cave Explorer"
    Artist: Mark D. Olsen (MDO2010)

​great sense of foreboding and narrative in this - excellnt lighting

Entry:  #7

Title: Treasure Guardian

Artist: Dustrider

​wow, the sense of dynamics in this is overwhelming - could be straight out of a kid's book

terrific design and a bit of tongue in cheek....

Entry:  #15

Title: Ant Nest

Artist: Stezza

I don't really like this, it's just that I feel sorry for Stezza .... but seriously - this is creepy, the dof really adds to the faaaa flavour

• VarselVarsel Posts: 574

Here is my votes.

I love the colors in this. Something I have to try out..

Entry:  #15
    Title: Ant Nest
    Artist: Stezza
    It's so creepy. I will never look at ants the same way again.

Entry:  # 17
    Title: INSIDE THE CAVE OF THE SOVEREIGN BEAST
    Artist: Alberto
    The cave sold this.

Title: Max had promised to do the washing up, even on Sundays.... but that didn't save him from.... The Crypt!
    A masterpiece from the Master

• AlbertoAlberto Posts: 1,382

Title: Max had promised to do the washing up, even on Sundays.... but that didnt save him from.... The Crypt!

Entry:  # 19
    Title: Beware the Treasure!  (Part 1)
    Artist: Jonstark

Entry:  # 22
    Title: The Lost Train
    Artist: Varsel

Entry:  # 23 
    Title: The Last Farewell
    Artist: WDGJohn via Stezza

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Wonderful pose, textures, colors and archetypal feel.

Entry:  #4
    Title: Cave Explorer
    Artist: MDO2010

There were three things I nit-picked: knife lighting, water ripples?, and the facial expression.  But everything else, including composition, lighting, and textures, were above and beyond. 

Entry: #18
    Title: Max etc.

Your basic masterpiece of... everything.

Entry: #2
    Title: Misadventures in Babysitting
    Artist: Diomede

A lot of clever details.  And I enjoyed the humor.

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738

Really, really hard to vote this time.  I could get it down to six, but getting it down to 4 was pretty tough.  Great work from everyone!  Here's my votes:

Title: Max had promised to do the washing up, even on Sundays.... but that didnt save him from.... The Crypt!

Entry:  # 2

Title: Misadventures in Babysitting

Artist: Diomede (Ted Murphy)

And now voting is closed.  Thanks to everyone for turning in great entries!  It's really late where I'm at, so it will probably be tomorrow morning before I can snatch some time to tally up and announce the winners.  smiley  

Ruh-roh...

I made a list and checked it twice, ended up with 2 ties (had a clear 1st place winner, but then had a tie for 2nd/3rd and also another tie for 4th/5th).  I was able to resolve the 1st tie pretty easily by simply counting up all votes per artist instead of just per entry, but the tie for 4th place has exactly the same number of votes per artist as it does per entry, so I'm not sure what to do...  Need a little guidance on this, how do we normally resolve ties?  A 2nd vote between the two entries in question?

Jon, I sent you a PM.

Thanks for being an excellent host!

edited January 2018

Excellent News!   It looks like MatCreator has generously volunteered to sponsor this challenge!  smiley

Here's his profile:  

"Whats shakin' gang =)

Paris here, aka "MatCreator"... I got caught up in the wave of the home pc era in 1998, started using photos to create mats for Bryce ("mat"-creator =P), but have since incorporated Carrara, 3D Coat, ZBrush, and Hexagon into my digital arsenal... I'm just your average free-thinking creative individual, my esoteric digital surrealism is my extension of life, and when I am not pushing, pulling or painting voxels, I'm giving peace of mind to people who have been invaded by intruders of the worst kind....."

For those who don't know, MatCreator is one of the all-time great Carrara Published Artists who specializes in products for shaders and 3d brushes.  You can find his Daz store here:

https://www.daz3d.com/matcreator

One of the first products I ever purchased when I first obtained Carrara was his Modular Urban Triplex:  https://www.daz3d.com/cpm-modular-urban-triplex

It's a full interior house, with tons of included furniture, excellent shaders, render and atmosphere presets, and I highly recommend it.

More recently I've finally learned a bit about how to do 3d painting in Carrara (I never really realized what 3d painting was, or how useful it is, til I saw a recent youtube tutorial), and as a result I've learned how important it is to have a good selection of 3d brushes, and MatCreator's shader and 3d brush packs are invaluable in this regard, again I highly recommend them, here's a few he offers:

https://www.daz3d.com/mc-mmm-carrara

https://www.daz3d.com/carrara-pro-master-shaders

https://www.daz3d.com/carrara-pro-master-shader-brushes

Also (and this is a really cool coincidence) he is working on a new product, which is actually a Dungeon!  Sadly this product hasn't yet been approved by Daz, so it's not available yet in the store, though hopefully soon it will get the green light and we can all expand our Dungeon Master toolkits  laugh

To give MatCreator a bit of time to make his selection for a 'PA Choice' award, we'll delay announcing the winners for a couple of days.  smiley    I'll update the top of the thread as well, so that this announcement isn't missed.

Post edited by Jonstark on

Additionally regarding the tie for 4th place, I've decided it's going to stand as is because both renders in question are just too good.  smiley  Plus it gives me a chance to 'sponsor' the challenge a  little myself.  So both 4th place winners will be receiving the $25 prize, it's just that one of the winners will get the original prize from Daz and the other will be a Daz gift card from me, so that we don't go over the allocated budget from Daz.  We'll figure out the nuts and bolts of all this after the announcement of the winners.  

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

is there a consolation prize for ones with no votes?  lol

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

Thank you, Matcreator!  And thank you, Jon!

Misty, I really liked how you used the hair on the blanket. yesyes  We sometimes get creative with prize structures.  Best use of a hairy cucumber?

@Stezza - had a few extra minutes today and was going to bone your dog. cheeky​  Couldn't remember which thread it was in.  Lassie, come home!

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,795

great hosting @Jonstark

was a hard choice..... thanks HW for the 'feel sorry' vote lol yes

@Diomede ... I think it was in the nonPhotoreal thread

I did end up boning him to a fashion kind of... but the weight painting I gave up on... I'll re-attach him here so you can have a go at him as well  .. hmm ... devil

zip
    zip
    The Dog Boned.zip

Thanks, I'll take a look.

edited January 2018
    Mistara said:

is there a consolation prize for ones with no votes?  lol

the Phantom thanks you for your vote yes

the Hairy Cucumber will live to render another day wink

maybe one day there will be a 'Tossed Salad Challenge' ... you never know

Post edited by Stezza on
    Jonstark said:

Additionally regarding the tie for 4th place, I've decided it's going to stand as is because both renders in question are just too good.  smiley  Plus it gives me a chance to 'sponsor' the challenge a  little myself.  So both 4th place winners will be receiving the $25 prize, it's just that one of the winners will get the original prize from Daz and the other will be a Daz gift card from me, so that we don't go over the allocated budget from Daz.  We'll figure out the nuts and bolts of all this after the announcement of the winners.  

that's very kind of you, congrats on doing such a good job

great news on MatCreator so thanks MatCreator !!- I love your products they've come in very handy over the years!

Stezza said:

great hosting @Jonstark

was a hard choice..... thanks HW for the 'feel sorry' vote lol yes

no rpoblem didnt want you to get a swelled head ! Ps can you let me know when the hivewirey doggy goes live ? :)

Here are a couple of quick edits to Stezza's awesome dog rig.  I didn't do much other than for the rear feet and the tongue.  I did add some bones so the tail can wag and the nose can twitch.

Amazing model, Stezza. Great look with so few polygons.

zip
    zip
    Odie Revised Boned 3a.zip

Awesome... smiley

and quick!

I couldn't get the back legs to work no matter what I tried... yes

he/she is for everyone to enjoy

thanks @Diomede

edited January 2018

nice work you both - here he is - companion to Mickey :)

love the dog - so cute !

thanks for sharing

stezzadog1.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 53K
    stezzadog21.jpg
    844 x 900 - 201K
    Post edited by Headwax on
  • DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691

Just wanted to pop in real quick and thank Jonstark for a great challenge (awesome subject too) and MatCreator for sponsoring!!!

NowI need to find some time to check out this cute little dog .... thanks to everyone involed!

edited January 2018

@Dustrider - keep popping in because I'm pretty sure you are in one of the prize positions, although I'm not sure which one.  Another great entry.

@head wax - super cute dog posts.  Love the way you were able to give the expression through the eyes and pose.

Post edited by Diomede on
    Diomede said:

@Dustrider - keep popping in because I'm pretty sure you are in one of the prize positions, although I'm not sure which one.  Another great entry.

@head wax - super cute dog posts.  Love the way you were able to give the expression through the eyes and pose.

ditto on Dustrider's render :)

Still haven't heard back from MatCreator.  Going to give it til the end of my workday and then going ahead and announcing the winners at the end of the day.  :)  Sorry for the long delay on this, just don't want to extend the delay much further.  :)

Time to announce and congratulate the winners of Carrara Challenge #37!

1st place:  'The Zen of a Warrior Princess' by UnifiedBrain:

2nd place: 'Treasure Guardian' by Dustrider:

3rd place: 'In Memorial' by Stezza:

4th place (tie): 'The Lost Train' by Varsel:

4th place (tie): 'Max had promised to do the washing up, even on Sundays.... but that didnt save him from.... The Crypt!' by Headwax:

Congratulations to all our winners, and a huge thank you for all of you for participating and voting!  laugh

Sorry that this got delayed so long before the announcement.  smiley  Still haven't heard back from MatCreator yet, but didn't want to delay further, so we'll update the thread and announcement once a PA choice selection is made. smiley

I'll be reaching out to the winners in PM shortly to coordinate awards.

I had a blast hosting this, and I appreciate how forgiving you guys all were of my many missteps and fumbles.  I really want to thank all of you guys for participating and helping out, a special thank you to UnifiedBrain who went above and beyond in every respect to help make this a success and who provided invaluable behind-the-scenes guidance.  It looks like I'll be passing the baton right back to him for the next challenge, smiley

Wow, congratulations to everyone! 

And Jonstark, many thanks for your hosting and insights.  Love your writing.  It's been fun looking at things through your eyes for the past month.  And you picked a fun theme for sure.

I promise to run a good, clean Challenge next month.  There will probably be no nudity whatsoever, maybe.

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Congratulations to all winners! Jon, thank you for the great hosting.