New to this world and golly do I need help!

Hi everyone! I've recently started using DAZ in an effort to broaden product offerings. I'm finding, rather quickly it seems, that my either my computer just stinks, or that there are some magical buttons in DAZ that I have not found yet. Here are my current issues:

1) Rendering times take a bajillion years for what I'm trying to do. For example, right now I'm rendering a single person, with no background at all. Lights are set up all around her and on the preview image, everything looks great. Currently, the render is 88% done and has taken 1 hour, seven minutes. It's on iteration 191 and 84% of the image is converted. In addition, for the past week I've noticed far more fireflies? (little pixels that are nowhere near the correct color). I'm using Iray.

My proicessor is AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core, 3500 Mhz, 3 cores, 6 logical processors

RAM- 16 GB

Physical Memory- 16 GB

Display adapter- Nvidia GeForce GTX 960

What is making rendering times take so long? I'm using the Iray settings that DAZ had as a default.

Comments

• So the figure is just standing in empty space? Do you have the 960 checked in the Advanced tab of the Render Settings pane? How much RAM does the 960 have?

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited December 2017

As Richard hints at, is the graphics card being used?

Check the log; you can open it during a render: it's called log.txt

Its path will be similar to this: C:\Users\YOUR-or_COMPUTER_NAME\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4 if you use Windows 7, 8, 8.1 or 10

Welcome to the world of rendering, sadly a reasonable gaming computer is not a decent rendering computer.

Post edited by nicstt on
  • KitsumoKitsumo Posts: 1,210
    nicstt said:

Its path will be similar to this: C:\Users\YOUR-or_COMPUTER_NAME\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4 if you use Windows 7, 8, 8.1 or 10

Or you can go into Daz Studio and go to 'Help>Troubleshooting>View Log File"

Also, you can use a utility like MSI Afterburner . It will show you what load your GPU is working at, so you can see if it's even being used or not. It also shows fan speed, memory usage, temperature, etc. and has lots of bells and whistles. Other companies have similar utilities; they all work pretty much the same.

Update: I just rendered a G3 female in 2 min 30 sec with just my i5 CPU, so you may have something else wrong. I didn't apply hair/clothes, but it still shouldn't have been that much shorter than your time. Let us know what you find out from the log.txt.

• Another bonus of the MSI Afterburner and similar GPU utilities, you can manually increase the fan speed to keep the card cool, as heat reduces productivity of the card. 

Also, when you say "lights are set up all around her", each of those lights affects rendering time.

The preview image should look nice, but it's not accurate to the final render unless you set the draw style to Iray. Some will say that setting the preview window to Iray will increase the speed to Iray renders overall, but that's only measuring the time between hitting the Render button and seeing the results. In actuality, you have to factor in the additional time it takes to redraw the Preview window with Iray. You end up with a comparable total time.

• JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760

On your GTX 960, you should make sure to go to www.nvidia.com and download the drivers directly from them.  The drivers that install automaticaly with Windows Update do not work for Iray rendering.

• So the figure is just standing in empty space? Do you have the 960 checked in the Advanced tab of the Render Settings pane? How much RAM does the 960 have?

Hi there! Yes, I've checked the 960. The specs on the card are:

• 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5
    • Core Clock 1178 MHz
    • Boost Clock 1241 MHz
    • 1 x DL-DVI-I 1 x HDMI 3 x DisplayPort
    • 1024 Stream Processors
    • PCI Express 3.0

The thing is, I can't make heads or tails of what that all means.

• nicstt said:

As Richard hints at, is the graphics card being used?

Welcome to the world of rendering, sadly a reasonable gaming computer is not a decent rendering computer.

I'm learning quickly that my computer isn't capable of rendering...

• Kitsumo said:
    nicstt said:

Or you can go into Daz Studio and go to 'Help>Troubleshooting>View Log File"

Also, you can use a utility like MSI Afterburner . It will show you what load your GPU is working at, so you can see if it's even being used or not. It also shows fan speed, memory usage, temperature, etc. and has lots of bells and whistles. Other companies have similar utilities; they all work pretty much the same.

Update: I just rendered a G3 female in 2 min 30 sec with just my i5 CPU, so you may have something else wrong. I didn't apply hair/clothes, but it still shouldn't have been that much shorter than your time. Let us know what you find out from the log.txt.

Thank you for that. I checked and the GeForce 960 was being used for the render. I've attached a render that I was trying to do. This image was after 2 hours and 22 minutes. It was 47% complete.

2 hours 22 minutes 48 percent done.png
    1334 x 2160 - 4M
  • Another bonus of the MSI Afterburner and similar GPU utilities, you can manually increase the fan speed to keep the card cool, as heat reduces productivity of the card. 

Also, when you say "lights are set up all around her", each of those lights affects rendering time.

The preview image should look nice, but it's not accurate to the final render unless you set the draw style to Iray. Some will say that setting the preview window to Iray will increase the speed to Iray renders overall, but that's only measuring the time between hitting the Render button and seeing the results. In actuality, you have to factor in the additional time it takes to redraw the Preview window with Iray. You end up with a comparable total time.

I'm downloading that tool now. In the image I was referencing before, I tried to put spotlights around the subject so she would be bright enough. Previous renders came through very dark and very pixelated. I've used the Iray preview image both in the main viewport and the Aux viewport. Updates happen relatively quickly. Certainly not 2 hours for a change.