RareStone is KILLING ME

Comments

• adaceyadacey Posts: 186

Yeah, saw Minto and thought she'd be perfect for a character I'm planning, maybe with a little tweaking because I like to personalize my stuff, but fantastic base. Then went browsing the rest of RareStone's stuff because I didn't recognise the name, but immediately recognised the products and went, "oh right, this person needs to be on my radar." Unfortunately, I've drained my wallet pretty bad catching up on some Stonemason props when they were on sale a few days ago so it'll be awhile before I can nab any of the stuff.

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511

i've been checking the store for a long bit, almost daily to see when  Minty would arrive.  Woot!  Saved my store credit for this.

I sent you a pm the day she landed

Oops! I see that now. thanks!

The notifications aren't that obvious, i apparently missed some other peoples msg from January too...That and I don't always log in. going to need to remember checking that..,.,

I got around to working with her and mixing her with other folks. great face really. Also picked up the other Rarestone gal that started with M from a little time back. pretty good deals ^_^

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679

I suppose there’s a conflict of trainings of ‘what to notice in whom’ here but seriously, I _promise_ you that plenty of 12 year olds and some 10 year olds have those ‘protuberances’ and at that size. By 14 if they’re going to be that size they probably already are.

One of my big age clues was a simple size comparison between her and what I thought was Minami in the first promo. The games seem like a good set of textures and maybe insight into RareStone herself

I am sure that is the case. These things do not seem to be randomly chosen as some of them are pretty obscure ( some of the ones I didn't list are pretty obscure.) So it is a very good bet they are games RS has enjoyed. The textures are all edited, to a degree, but they are clearly of the games. But still, they are included with Minto, and therefor must be part of Minto's game collection. She deserves props for Yakuza 5 alone, LOL. That was a sneaky one, too, as the image is one of the many mini games from Yakuza 5, rather than a shot of the game world. 

All of the games are pretty good in one way or another, though the Senran Kagura is really out of left field. A left field shamelessly full of anime boobies, LOL. Each game pushes the envelope more and more of highly...questionable behavior. Not that there is anything wrong with that, to each their own, and its just a very silly game and it doesn't actually have any nudity. Still, its probably not something you'd ever let your girlfriend see you playing. That would be pretty awkward. That would be up there with "Hey Mom, check out this article in this month's Playboy! Its really far out!" "Sure honey! Right after I taxidermy this groundhog your dad hit with the car!"

• ALLIEKATBLUEALLIEKATBLUE Posts: 2,959

My first little Minty, she's adorbes

minto 1.png
    857 x 876 - 653K
    Minto 3.png
    857 x 876 - 674K
  • MarkHMarkH Posts: 79
    edited March 2018

I showed this to one of colleagues who is Korean - he couldn't stop laughing.Image result for how asian women age

Post edited by Chohole on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

HAHAHAHAHAHA 

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,575
    edited March 2018

Here's my first render of Minto, rendered here with Pei:

@Rarestone's work never disappoints!

- Greg

minto-600.png
    600 x 780 - 647K
    Post edited by algovincian on

Dammit, my wallet is going to take a beating soon I can feel it.

• nohiznguyennohiznguyen Posts: 262
    edited March 2018

d009daz.jpg
    700 x 875 - 307K
    Post edited by nohiznguyen on
  • PCIrayGuyPCIrayGuy Posts: 16

Young Minto and dForce Minto Outfit for Genesis 8 Female(s) is too cute to pass up. I just saw this new posting. Great job, Rarestone!

• bought Minami when she came out loved her but then in the last render she was blowing up like those dforce explosions took awhile to work out it was her had other characters and other stuff in scene. Turned out it was her HD morph that made her explode anyway she just had an update didn't see it in dim was in studio and she works great again in my test

This is really not helping my wallet willpower.

Quick question about Minto, some people are referring to her as an Asian character, and I certainly see that in some renders, but at other times she really seems more caucassian, or more of a "can't quite put my finger on her ethnicity". Just curious what people's thoughts are that have already bought her.

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,575
    edited March 2018

Here's my first render of Minto, rendered here with Pei:

@Rarestone's work never disappoints!

- Greg

After looking at this render again this morning, I found myself wanting to try leaving Minto's skin her own, as opposed to using Pei's skin on her (as I originally had):

I still find that there may be too much translucency for my taste, but I think using Pei's skin (and make-up) took away some of the innocence that makes Minto such a wonderful child figure.

I also put the over-sized glasses on her for this render. Like the over-sized version of her top (included with the figure but not pictured here), they really help capture the innocence of a child.

Minto is an example of both fantastic design and execution, imho.

- Greg

minto2-600.png
    600 x 780 - 682K
    Post edited by algovincian on
  • ALLIEKATBLUEALLIEKATBLUE Posts: 2,959

minto three.png
    2000 x 2600 - 4M
  • lwaveslwaves Posts: 237

I figured I'd ask here, rather than in a separate thread but does anyone know which hair is used for Minto in the 1st, 4th, 5th and 16th thumbnailed promo images?
    It's not either of the ones mentioned in the Additional Products section and I don't revognise it.
    Here's a link to Minto to save you looking: https://www.daz3d.com/young-minto-and-dforce-minto-outfit-for-genesis-8-females

Cheers.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,926
    adacey said:

Quick question about Minto, some people are referring to her as an Asian character, and I certainly see that in some renders, but at other times she really seems more caucassian, or more of a "can't quite put my finger on her ethnicity". Just curious what people's thoughts are that have already bought her.

Well caucasoids & mongoloids are often difficult to distinguish in real life too although the anime style features exaggerates the eyes to be thought of as more caucasoid looking they really aren't. It's more like, they are more cartoon looking. 

Yeah, the 50% PA sale got the best of me. I know there's sometimes better deals than that to be had if you're super patient, but it seems like that's often as good as you can get and Rarestone's been killing me with their products so I figured it was time to snap some up.

• OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548

Thank you, Rarestone, for making Minto dress her age in the promo art. :)

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,735
    edited March 2018

Asians have the incredible quality of looking young. Among my coworkers, I always underestimate their age by about 10-15 years, at least. My coworkers (Chinese, and Taiwanese) love to play the age guessing game.  They ask me, "how old are you?" and they guess before I tell them.. They usually say about 35, which is about right. And then ask me to guess for them.  I guessed 25 and 26.  they were 36 and 38, respectively, one had a kid in high school AND elementary school. I was floored. And another coworker, I swear she looks like she's in high school, but she's graduated college, studied a couple extra years abroad, got married, is teaching, and has a kid. The STYLES of clothing they can wear (and look amazing in!) is totally different from what I (a curvy nearing-her-40's caucasian American) can look good in (without people thinking that i'm  "trying" to look younger than I am).  I have confused grandmothers and their daughters as sisters. It's really amazing.

I had an Asian boss when I was in my 20's when working in the entertainment industry, he was the head of the company and I guessed he was about 30-ish. I ran into him recently, many years later and he still looks EXACTLY the same! He said I do too, but I kinda doubt that, well know that's not true LOL. But he has not aged a day! I also do some entertainment press stuff and I was doing red carpet interviews at the Saturn Awards (sci-fi awards) and I had a new camera that I was using for video interviews, and I hadn't adjusted it yet but celebs were already coming up and it was stuck on a an extreme close-up that I didn't have time to adjust correctly when Canadian sci-fi actress Lexa Doig approached me to be interviewed. She's a beautiful exotic Asian mix (I just checked IMDB and she's a Filipina mix) and wife of my TV crush Michael Shanks from Stargate SG-1. She was in her early 40's then and my camera was zoomed WAY too far in but her skin was flawless, she looked amazing! No normal person would look that good in such an extreme close-up, but god, she pulled it off! 

Anyway, since I'm so off-topic, here's a render of adorable MInto! She is so cute! I always do at least a few minor tweaks even on characters I love, but with her, the only thing I changed was the the length of her eyelashes. The rest is out of the box (with Photoshop postwork of course.) So cute! I was not happy though with the texture for the top, it looks good on other people's renders but close-up it looked like plaster to me, so I used a different shader and the little LIE design stayed on, but in a different position--I actually tried to move it manually originally to make it higher up, but it left a weird black spot, but adding a different shader, moved the image smaller and up--but I still could not tweak it, it seems it has to be in a certain position that can't be manually changed AFAIK, but you can remove it of course.

Also, I still couldn't get d-Force to work correctly and the sleeve ends were covering her hands, so I removed them...

Snow-Day-by-Alicia_Hollinger.jpg
    864 x 1152 - 1M
    Post edited by Wonderland on
    edited March 2018

Minto is not a morning person.

Straight out of DAZ render, I'm not 100% happy with the shadows, particularly from the window grime, and I'm trying to figure out what's happened to the lenses on her glasses, but 4k CPU-only Iray renders take a bit of time.

minto coffee.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Post edited by adacey on
  • dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128

Miya. Buying her as soon as I track down my wallet. It looks like this time we get individual facial feature morphs as thee ‘extra’?

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,136

Miya. Buying her as soon as I track down my wallet. It looks like this time we get individual facial feature morphs as thee ‘extra’?

I thought it was an unusual set of promo images for a character. There are no closeups of the face at all.

Huh. Not sure I noticed that since I’m so used to zooming in on my phone to study details anyhow, and the images are so clear. And in her usual style. I did notice they’re definitely ‘teen’ style promos though. 

Well, there's an interesting thing. Just as Minto is tagged 'Minto (Young)', Miya is tagged 'Miya (Doll)' and loads in on a different scale than the non-Doll figures. Hmmm. I'll post some comparison renders once I get them gussied up for public posting.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,136

Well, there's an interesting thing. Just as Minto is tagged 'Minto (Young)', Miya is tagged 'Miya (Doll)' and loads in on a different scale than the non-Doll figures. Hmmm. I'll post some comparison renders once I get them gussied up for public posting.

I didn't notice anything in the promo images that would indicate a different scale, did you? I'm interested in seeing your renders.

Gotta run but my second render just finished. The one with 4 characters is 4 Rarestone girls, at loading size. The more scenic one has Miya sized down to 85% scale. I reduced both texture sets for faster rendering, the size-comparison one significantly. The pictures attached are much larger than the ones inline if a close detail comparison is desired.

Rarestone Size Comparison2.jpg
    2400 x 1920 - 3M
    Rarestone Size Comparison.jpg
    1600 x 1280 - 567K
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

Minto does have some eye makeup on her base skin. Kinda disappointed in that since I prefer kids without makeup.

Hmm. I'm not sure I see it. But here's a very close picture of both Minto and Miya.

Miya definitely has doll-like skin. 

Minto has a translucency around her eyes that I think eye makeup tries to emulate but looks natural to me.

Rarestone Closeup 2.jpg
    2400 x 1920 - 3M
    Rarestone Closeup 1.jpg
    2400 x 1920 - 4M
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

It’s there. I was rather obvious when I tried to use her skin for a younger child. Try putting her skin on a kid and zoom in,