Post Your Renders - #4: A New Hope

Comments

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited December 1969

EP - love it!

Garstor - your scene is really coming together now!

• thoromyrthoromyr Posts: 452
    edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    So.....go big or go home! :)

This is 1920x1080 resolution -- kinda silly given that it is still not quite finished. But this does show of the details of the wall trim better.

Many thanks to evil producer for the permission to use his renders from this thread as displayed artwork!

That wall does need at least one more piece of art to break up the space on it. I think I will add some browsing gallery patrons if I can find suitable clothing in my runtime.

That's looking quite nice. Might I suggest using the non-photorealistic renderer with a bump channel for the art work? I think using a different style for depicted art helps with verisimilitude.

(I realize there's a cool factor to using some of evilproducer's work, just a thought.)

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

:lol:

Money can't buy love...

...but it can rent a close approximation!

(FYI: I don't really believe that...I just think it is a funny line)

edited December 1969

@PhilW: Many thanks!

@thoromyr: The NPR is a good idea -- I've never really used it before. Maybe a PhotoShop filter would do the trick (if evilproducer doesn't mind me screwing around further with his art).

The more I look at this scene, the more I want to improve it. The room itself is pretty bad actually...it is just a vertex cube with 2 faces removed so the camera can see inside. I should have started with the room and added the art pieces last.

I also realize that the huge block of marble there is completely unrealistic now...can you fathom how much that thing would weigh? What floor could support that? So, perhaps I should re-work that to have the marble top but an ornate wooden table/display case below? The thought also popped into my fevered neurons for a glass display box around the statue (presumably it is valuable...).

The ideas just don't stop! :)

edited December 1969

That's the way it goes for me. The longer I look at a scene, the more I go... hmmm....

Which is kind of annoying if it was supposed to be a throw away render :)

I like the NPR so I tend to think of it -- using filters hadn't occurred to me, that'd be a good way to go as well. My main thought was to change the style.

A marble top makes sense to me. I like what you're doing with this.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    @PhilW: Many thanks!

@thoromyr: The NPR is a good idea -- I've never really used it before. Maybe a PhotoShop filter would do the trick (if evilproducer doesn't mind me screwing around further with his art).

The more I look at this scene, the more I want to improve it. The room itself is pretty bad actually...it is just a vertex cube with 2 faces removed so the camera can see inside. I should have started with the room and added the art pieces last.

I also realize that the huge block of marble there is completely unrealistic now...can you fathom how much that thing would weigh? What floor could support that? So, perhaps I should re-work that to have the marble top but an ornate wooden table/display case below? The thought also popped into my fevered neurons for a glass display box around the statue (presumably it is valuable...).

The ideas just don't stop! :)

Bah! I screw around with filters all the time! You want fun, copy and paste your image to create a new layer, then use a depth pass as a layer mask and go crazy with a filter or two on the lower layer and see the effect!

steampunk-army-composite.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 1M
    steampunk-army-poster-edge.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 2M
    steampunk-army-raw.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 1M
    edited December 1969

post work can be a lot of fun :)

• LindseyLindsey Posts: 1,984
    edited December 1969

Playing around with Onyx for Genesis male and the Asian genesis male morphs and came up with this. Texture is James for M5. Subway Lights sky dome texture courtesy of sIBL Archives at hdrlabs.com

Subway_Lights.jpg
    1025 x 944 - 240K
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,224
    edited December 1969

Lyndsey,
    Very, Very, Very Impressive!
    Dartan Like!!!!

edited December 1969

Lindsey said:
    Playing around with Onyx for Genesis male and the Asian genesis male morphs and came up with this. Texture is James for M5. Subway Lights sky dome texture courtesy of sIBL Archives at hdrlabs.com

Very nice! I love the angle and lighting.

edited December 1969

On a whim, I started gathering research material on the National Gallery Of Art in Washington D.C. Trust me, I won't be out to make a faithful reproduction any time soon! I just wanted to get a feel for a large building that displays pieces of art. ;-)

NGA is two floors -- anything I make will likely remain a single floor. But I'd like to see if I can make a stained glass rotunda...

A friend of mine wants me to try to model an Easter Island moai statue...if I manage that (a simple model shouldn't be too hard), then I might include it in my bigger gallery.

Dream big! We'll see where this goes!

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited December 1969

I am sure that Daz used to do an Easter Island Head some years ago, but I can't find it on the store now (but I have a copy). Still more fun yo make your own, but it may be there as a fallback option.

• LindseyLindsey Posts: 1,984
    edited December 1969

@Dartanbeck
    @Garstor

Thanks for the comments! Many times I'm surprised how well images turn out just by clickety-clicking using the high quality products here at DAZ.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    I am sure that Daz used to do an Easter Island Head some years ago, but I can't find it on the store now (but I have a copy). Still more fun yo make your own, but it may be there as a fallback option.

I think you will find that was one that was on the old daz freebie archive, and thus MIA now. However there are some heads in this package

http://www.daz3d.com/enchanted-island

edited December 1969

PhilW said:

That was my line of thinking too -- get more practice with sub-division modeling in LightWave. I've grabbed a bunch of reference images but none of them are precisely face-on, side-view, top-view...so I'll have to wing it.

Interesting thing that I've noticed with importing OBJ into Carrara. The scale is way off; HUGE.

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited December 1969

PhilW said:

I have Easter Island Head in my downloads since the DIM came along...I never saw it listed before so I am assuming I got it in one of the paks you got when signing up or renewing you membership. There are tons of things now in my runtime I never knew I had :)

After getting it all installed it will be back to learning Carrara...

• edited December 1969

Hi :)

I've been kind of preoccupied with learning the ways of Skyrim modding lately... but I got a bit sidetracked when it dawned on me that I can steal the models and textures from the game and render them in Carrara, lol.

Being PC game assets they aren't exactly top quality, but I'm having tons of fun with this in spite of it :cheese:

SkyrimInteriorEdited.jpg
    1280 x 960 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Very Cool, Indeed! You certainly have an eye for a great image.
    Welcome Home, again :)
    Genesis Replicants, anyone?

Orcs!!!vsRTa.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 486K
  • edited February 2013

Whew, I still haven't warmed up to Genesis yet, I'm just old fashioned like that I guess!

If I could I would just transform it into A3/Mulberry and never touch those morphing dials again, lol. :-P

I love your image though, especially the heroine, (Damsel in distress this time around from the looks of it, lol) she looks so familiar for some reason but I just can't quite place it... is she based on a celebrity or something?

She has a very distinct look and really stands out from some of the typical cookie-cutter V4 characters out there.

I'm getting this deja-vu feeling like I've asked you this before but I've been so out of touch lately, lol.

Post edited by K0daKumi_8e8836aac0 on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,818
    edited December 1969

Koukotsu said:

Whew, I still haven't warmed up to Genesis yet, I'm just old fashioned like that I guess!

If I could I would just transform it into A3/Mulberry and never touch those morphing dials again, lol. :-P

I love your image though, especially the heroine, (Damsel in distress this time around from the looks of it, lol) she looks so familiar for some reason but I just can't quite place it... is she based on a celebrity or something?

She has a very distinct look and really stands out from some of the typical cookie-cutter V4 characters out there.

I'm getting this deja-vu feeling like I've asked you this before but I've been so out of touch lately, lol.
    see http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/16706/

edited February 2013

Rock On Wendy Girl!!!!
    Koukutso, That's my Rosie :) Yeah, she's my Hero! Those Genesis Orcs are nasty, to be sure...
    But that's Rosietreats... I just know that it's They who are in some serious do do!
    We interrupt this message with a word (silent words) from our sponsor:

mmoir-wendyized.gif
    240 x 180 - 870K
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited December 1969

I just love the above, Wendyized version of mmoir's Carrara Man. The animation is SO my singer! Especially the quick little wind-up f-u's at thee end! But the dance and the whole thing... that's my singer, Boss Dow!

edited December 1969

they are purists, I totally cheated and used mixamo motion, Aiko3 farque aniblock and iClone 3dx5pipeline to do that!
    certainly not all done in Carrara.
    This is why I only offered to play with the project, I cannot be so strict in my use of tools, I am a software whore!
    I use whatever gets the job done and mix and composite.
    even use Daz studio a lot lately!!
    AND HEXAGON!!! the cheek!!!
    Poser and Blender when needed!

edited December 1969

Yeah, it got a bit too pure for my tastes, as well - though I think that will make for a better experience, but the movie could likely go much smoother and better if they allowed the use of external stuff, like content and helpful software.

• edited December 1969

Oh yeah, I remember now. I was hoping I could go and buy this "Rosie" character from the Daz store or something, lol.

Here's part 2 of my little "Skyrim" project, I threw my mandatory A3 into the scene and added more props to create more of a "lived-in" look.

I did quite a bit of post-work for this one, including depth of field via depth pass in Photoshop. (A bit too much as usual though, lol.)

This is tons of fun, maybe I'll end up recreating an entire village one day ;-)

SkyrimInterior-3.jpg
    1280 x 960 - 680K
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Yeah, it got a bit too pure for my tastes, as well

At the risk of taking this off-topic, I feel that that is a very unfair remark to make.

What Mike and to a far lesser degree, myself, did was to prove that a character can be modeled, UV mapped, textured, rigged and animated wholly in Carrara - even by non-animators. All it would take would be some enthusiasm and willingness to try and learn.

No-one placed any limits on anyone else - any contribution by anyone in any form is welcome - the whole point is to make a movie in Carrara and showcase its abilities. The "Easy come, easy go" is simply a forerunner to test what is needed to go the whole hog.

So, what happened to the "rah, rah, rah, Carrara rocks and is capable of anything ? It certainly is, but are the users?

edited December 1969

lol! Roygee, scold me, not Dartanbeck
    he said" it would make for a better experience"

I called you "purists"
    and
    myself a software whore!

lets have fun, enjoy, post renders
    Carrara rocks

maybe we (me including) should leave snarky comments for the whiney threads that get deleted!

nice Renders Koukotsu, the game assets actually come up quite well.

edited December 1969

Roygee said:
    Yeah, it got a bit too pure for my tastes, as well

At the risk of taking this off-topic, I feel that that is a very unfair remark to make.Definitely got the wrong vibe from me, that's for sure!
    I love the whole idea and the results. And it's not just you and Mike...

edited February 2013

Koukotsu said:

Oh yeah, I remember now. I was hoping I could go and buy this "Rosie" character from the Daz store or something, lol.

Here's part 2 of my little "Skyrim" project, I threw my mandatory A3 into the scene and added more props to create more of a "lived-in" look.

I did quite a bit of post-work for this one, including depth of field via depth pass in Photoshop. (A bit too much as usual though, lol.)

This is tons of fun, maybe I'll end up recreating an entire village one day ;-)Yeah.... Oh yeah!
    Sure is a nice looking set, isn't it? Especially once Aiko walks in :coolhmm:
    Really love the soft feel of the place. The warmth. Very nice.

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Wendy - I'm not scolding anybody - just pointing out that this movie could very well be made entirely in Carrara and disappointed that so few are taking part in the effort:)

Seeing this is a render thread, how about a small challenge?

Anyone up for making Mike's "Easy come, easy go" storyline, using any figure, any external software assistance, but rendered in Carrara?

This discussion has been closed.