DAZ + FaceGen - Show Us What You Got!

ChameoChameo Posts: 306
edited December 2017 in Art Studio

I've had lots of fun over the past couple of years bringing my friends' faces into the artwork I do in DAZ Studio, but today topped the cake. Today, DAZ and FaceGen made me the coolest auntie/grandma ever. I needed a couple of quick Christmas gifts for the youngest family members attending our holiday gathering, so I grabbed a few Facebook photos, ran them through FaceGen, and used them to create personalized photo renders, which I then had printed as 5x7 photos at our local 1-hour processing place. Added a cheap frame and I figured, at best, the kids would say, "Cool, thanks!" and then turn their attention to all the really neat toys. I didn't count on the littlest guy's reaction though. This is Quintin, just turned 4 years old. He wants to be a police ossifer when he grows up.

This is Quintin's very favorite Christmas present this year.

He snatched it out of my hands with great, big, wide eyes and exclaimed, "That's an ossifer as me!" He barely put it down all day long - just kept showing it to people to point out further things: the badge, the hat, the patches... he even used his new tablet to take a picture of his picture so he could show it to his teacher tomorrow.

I've been wanting to start this thread for a while - but Quintin's reaction made me do it tonight. I _know_ I'm not the only one doing DAZ renders with FaceGen. I'd love to see what others are doing, whether it's celebrity fan art or comics or ... whatever. So show us what you got!

quintin.jpg
3000 x 4200 - 6M
quintin.jpg
540 x 960 - 42K
Post edited by Chameo on

Comments

• GreybroGreybro Posts: 2,488

• ChameoChameo Posts: 306

Wow! Seriously nice work there, @greybro!

Chameo said:

Thanks. Facegen has given me a lot of fun. I've created characters for a bunch of the actors I've worked with and also most of my immediate family members.

Greybro said:
    Chameo said:

Thanks. Facegen has given me a lot of fun. I've created characters for a bunch of the actors I've worked with and also most of my immediate family members.

Originally, I used it to bring the faces of friends into a deck of Tarot cards I designed - each of the court cards wears the face of one of my friends who fits the character and traits of that card. Once I had it, though, I started doing scenes using my grandkids' faces. A friend who saw those asked me to create a custom piece for her, as well as friends in an online game asking me to do them as their characters... my aim for this year is to launch a little side-business of creating "dream portraits" for kids and adults using FaceGen and Daz Studio. The deliverable will be a .jpg or .png of the finished render, optimized for printing at a specified size that the customer can then have printed wherever, however they want. And the new 3D print looks _really_ intriguing as another option for parents who want something really special.

Chameo said:
    Greybro said:
    Chameo said:

Originally, I used it to bring the faces of friends into a deck of Tarot cards I designed - each of the court cards wears the face of one of my friends who fits the character and traits of that card. Once I had it, though, I started doing scenes using my grandkids' faces. A friend who saw those asked me to create a custom piece for her, as well as friends in an online game asking me to do them as their characters... my aim for this year is to launch a little side-business of creating "dream portraits" for kids and adults using FaceGen and Daz Studio. The deliverable will be a .jpg or .png of the finished render, optimized for printing at a specified size that the customer can then have printed wherever, however they want. And the new 3D print looks _really_ intriguing as another option for parents who want something really special.

Nice idea.

I think FG does a decent job but I almost always replace the eyes with something like the Marco IRay eye products to give it a little more life. Where it's really powerful is to give you a "jump off" point with the texture to go into Photoshop and add some real detail to, though I rarely go that far. When you do, however you can tell the difference, big time.

Case in point, with this image I based it on a photo reference source then opened the auto-generate files up and added in detail for things like the eye lids and lips whcih FG can sometimes make a little messy.

Eyes and Lips

Here are a few more of my Facegen characters.

Hey Look, it's Les Garner aka Sixus1

Les Garner

My long time English friend, Dave Watson. AKA Davlin Studios, well known for epic Poser animations.

Davlin

Very nice! I especially love the pink braces and the realism of the lips themselves. One of the biggest problems I run into (aside from just plain sucking at editing!) is that I'm often stuck with photos I snag off friends' Facebook timelines - which means my base photos frequently hit all the "DON'Ts" - eyeglasses, odd shadows, big smiles... gets really interesting trying to work around those! I'm pretty sure that my first step is going to be learning how to do actually do (and alter) skins. I'm one of those people who can't focus on learning a piece of software thoroughly - I just want to know enough to accomplish the particular thing I want to do right NOW. I need to settle myself down with some tutorials and/or a good online class and learn how to use GIMP tools, brushes, layers and filters properly (because Photoshop is def outside my budget!)

edited January 2018

Arriva la Befana - i migliori auguri ai tuoi cari!

I've always had a special affinity for la Befana what with my birthday being on January 6th and all - so of course, she's wearing my face. The best part of it was when my 4 year old granddaughter peeked over my shoulder, got big-eyed and asked, "Mimi, is that YOU?? Riding a BROOM??"

la befana -1.jpg
    1500 x 1909 - 2M
    Post edited by Chameo on
  • Couldnt resist this! My Ripley and Hicks from the movie ALIENS! The Micheal Biehn face done in Facegen and the Adriene head for Ripley. Sooo glad to have Facegen!

Sulaco Scene3.png
    600 x 540 - 384K
  • SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,653

Wow some really amazing FG  renders!!!

Couldnt resist this! My Ripley and Hicks from the movie ALIENS! The Micheal Biehn face done in Facegen and the Adriene head for Ripley. Sooo glad to have Facegen!

Nice!