DAZ Install Manager 1.0.1.59 Update

DAZ_BrianDAZ_Brian Posts: 345
edited June 2013 in The Commons

DAZ 3D is pleased to announce the next public version of the DAZ Install Manager - version 1.0.1.59!

For more details view the DAZ Install Manager v.1.0.1.58 Change Log, which can be viewed online within the Documentation Center portion of our site.

DAZ Install Manager has been updated to now support additional types of files such as software applications, plugins, Carrara and Bryce content, Photoshop brushes and tutorials. As these file types are converted they will start to appear in DAZ Install Manager.

Some of the main features and changes are shown below:

Implemented support for separate beta release cycles; auto-update, paths, etc.
Added Add/Remove buttons for Settings > Applications; non-functional; in preparation for application management
Implemented the ability to add/remove application directories in the Settings dialog
Implemented a Filter Menu Button and Filter Menu/Action system
Added support for application files
Update to Qt 4.8.4
Added Remember Me label/checkbox to Login dialog
Implemented password saving/protection
Added Hexagon tag to Download Filters
Added 8.5 and 9.6 versions to LightWave application options, to coincide with major/minor versions that implement support for 64 bit
Added 64 bit architecture options for LightWave 8.5 and above on Windows, 9.6 and above on OSX
Added support for installing software applications
Added a “Show Details” checkbox to the Ready to Download page
Added support for installing to a Shared/Public directory
Added support for (un)installing shortcuts to the desktop and/or start menu
Update CMS connector to Valentina 5.0 ADK
Added a “Show Order…” action to the product options and context menus
Added a “Product Filters” submenu to the product context menu
Software products will now download/install first if queued
Added support for user documents as a destination path

When you start DAZ Install Manager, if you log in to your DAZ 3D account, it will alert you that an update has been detected and give you the option to either automatically download/install the update or work offline.

Post edited by DAZ_Brian on

Comments

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited May 2013

Edited: It is now fixed to autoupdate on both the Mac and the PC. Sorry about the delay.

Post edited by DAZ_Spooky on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,909
    edited May 2013

Will the correction work with the old version, or will we need to manually download and isntall the new version for auto-updates to work in future?

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited December 1969

Will the correction work with the old version, or will we need to manually download and install the new version for auto-updates to work in future?
    Once it is corrected, no manual update will be required.
  • rbtwhizrbtwhiz Posts: 2,181
    edited May 2013

The installers available in the Product Library have been updated. Windows users can download the installer from here, and Mac users can download the installer from here; you must be logged in to your account for the links to take you to the appropriate page.

The Windows installers have been modified to allow Install Manager to be installed to a custom location; and to automatically update to the same custom location. The 1.0.0.112 build does not pass in a required parameter ("--installdir" as stated in the error message) to the new installer; later builds do. A modification is being made to the Windows installer to allow the 1.0.0.112 build to automatically update without passing in the location of the running application. The same notification from within Install Manager, of an update being detected, will be displayed once the new installer is available.

Mac users should not be affected, as the Mac version does not allow a custom install path*, but will also receive the same update notification once the new installers are available.

*The Mac version does not provide the same custom install functionality as the Windows version due to an issue with the ability to detect a running process on the Mac and prevent more than a single instance of the application running at the same time.

Post edited by rbtwhiz on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,581
    edited December 1969

....have the product filters been improved to eliminate duplicate entries when ported to an Excel spreadsheet so one can get just list of the product names instead of all the associated installers for each product?

• RawArtRawArt Posts: 5,754
    edited December 1969

I launched install manager, it wanted to update, so i let it.
    After it ran for a while supposedly updating, it gave an error and closed.
    Now when i open it, it still says version 1.0.0.112 ...and doesnt ask about updating anymore.

Any suggestions?

edited December 1969

RawArt said:
    Now when i open it, it still says version 1.0.0.112 ...and doesnt ask about updating anymore.

Any suggestions?

It won't ask about updating again until we put the next build out. You can grab the installer from "My Account->Product Library." and run it or wait just a bit longer. :red:
  • TotteTotte Posts: 13,514
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ....have the product filters been improved to eliminate duplicate entries when ported to an Excel spreadsheet so one can get just list of the product names instead of all the associated installers for each product?

You can do that with filters before you select.

edited December 1969

...with the current version I tried, but still got quite a few duplicate entries where there were Daz Texture installers as well some Poser ones that slipped through (lowercase "ps") that needed to be manually deleted line by line. I just want a list of the products themselves (like the old History Manager used to create) that I can dump to an Excel Spreadsheet.

• RawArtRawArt Posts: 5,754
    edited December 1969

RawArt said:

Any suggestions?

It won't ask about updating again until we put the next build out. You can grab the installer from "My Account->Product Library." and run it or wait just a bit longer. :red:

Ok...that worked

Thanx

• linvanchenelinvanchene Posts: 1,336
    edited November 2013

edited and removed by user

Post edited by linvanchene on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

For file types that do not install to conventional DS/Poser content folders, DIM will look in the Settings > Application tab and install to the path appropriate for the application. So if it is Bryce content, it will look for Bryce in the Application tab and install to the appropriate Bryce subfolder. If DIM doesn't automatically add an entry for an application, you can add it manually.

The Default Filters add options in the pulldown menu on the filter (search) box to sort by date, SKU range, and tag. You can also save custom filters you make for future use.

edited November 2013

edited and removed by user

• rbtwhizrbtwhiz Posts: 2,181
    edited December 1969

For file types that do not install to conventional DS/Poser content folders, DIM will look in the Settings > Application tab and install to the path appropriate for the application. So if it is Bryce content, it will look for Bryce in the Application tab and install to the appropriate Bryce subfolder. If DIM doesn't automatically add an entry for an application, you can add it manually.

The Default Filters add options in the pulldown menu on the filter (search) box to sort by date, SKU range, and tag. You can also save custom filters you make for future use.

Minor correction there, Mike... but its an important distinction to make... Install Manager Default Filters "filter" (hide things that don't match), they do not "sort" (change the order). A Filter and a Sort Order can be used in conjunction with one another.

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited May 2013

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...with the current version I tried, but still got quite a few duplicate entries where there were Daz Texture installers as well some Poser ones that slipped through (lowercase "ps") that needed to be manually deleted line by line. I just want a list of the products themselves (like the old History Manager used to create) that I can dump to an Excel Spreadsheet.

Hey Kyoto, I think what you want to do is select the checkbox next to the Products title and then right-click on any of them and choose to export to CSV. In the dialog box that pops up, you can "uncheck" any of the columns you don't want, so that you would only have the first column (Product Name) show up in the CSV file.

If you only want a selection of your products, you could use the filter box at the top right to get just the files you're interested in, and then follow the above steps.

I have a running spreadsheet with Product Name, Product ID, Download ID and the Tags, so I uncheck GUID, Installer Size and Installer date.

Hope that helps.

Edited to Add: BTW, I usually open the CSV file with a plain text editor first to remove the quote marks around everything, as you don't need those in Excel. I also, since I have several columns in the CSV file, use Find/Replace to change all the commas to tabs. The CSV file export by default is comma delimited. Not sure whether you can change that in Install Manager or not, though I know that Excel does have an option to change it if you import the CSV directly into Excel.

Post edited by Miss B on
    edited December 1969

...will have to wait until tomorrow as when I start it up it tries to download and install the update but keeps failing. At home where my connectivity is pretty poor which is most likely the reason.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited May 2013

HI linvanchene

DIM uses your applications list (inside dim) for the location of your applications,. whether that's Daz Studio, Carrara, or Photoshop it doesn't matter,. what matters is that You tell DIM what applications you have, and where they are.

Dim already has a Default location for content, and as you say Vue content can go anywhere,.. so it's not reliant on DIM locating your copy of VUE for you, but it is reliant on you,. telling it where you would like your Vue content installed to.

Once DIM knows that,. then it will identify Plugins or any "non standard content" like Vue Bryce or Carrara scenes and Plugins,. and (If those main applications are listed, or you select an "install to" location,. it will install the products to the the listed locations.

]If you've installed something,. and you think it's installed to the wrong location,.

You can Right click on the product in the "installed" tab,. then select (installed files).

That will open a window showing the main Install location, and the locations of all the installed files for that product.

If it's been installed to the wrong location, by accident, or because no other path for that product was available.or specified..
    then it's easy to Un-install it,. ..add / change the application path,... and install the product correctly,.

you can then double check that the files are installed to the correct location by viewing the "installed files" list.

If you look at the (ready to install) tab,. main setting (for content downloads and installation) you'll see that there is an "install to" folder,.. listed. under the "recommended Daz / poser location)

You can add "install to" locations, using the settings button on the right) which are different from the "Application" location.

hope it helps :)
    You can add more, or different "Install to" locations,. to install files to a specific folder,

Post edited by 3DAGE on
  • IanTPIanTP Posts: 1,326
    edited December 1969

I have to apologize. I missed a test. For the moment the autoupdate from the 1.0.0.112 build will not work on Windows. Downloading the installer from product Libraries and using that will correctly update to the new version.

It will be fixed shortly.

Again sorry about the extra step.

Thanks,was wondering why I got an error, will get the new version manually,

• azoohouseazoohouse Posts: 660
    edited December 1969

Yikes! I manually downloaded and installed the update yesterday and shut down my computer. This morning I bought some items from Daz. When I started up the DIM it said I had 16 items to download. I started the process as usual. YIKES! It is now uninstalling over 2500 items and adding them to the install list. What is going on, should I stop it and if so, how?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

azoohouse said:
    Yikes! I manually downloaded and installed the update yesterday and shut down my computer. This morning I bought some items from Daz. When I started up the DIM it said I had 16 items to download. I started the process as usual. YIKES! It is now uninstalling over 2500 items and adding them to the install list. What is going on, should I stop it and if so, how?

Is it actually uninstalling, or is it just not recognizing the items as installed?

edited December 1969

azoohouse said:

Is it actually uninstalling, or is it just not recognizing the items as installed?

It says it is uninstalling and reinstalling at the same time.

edited December 1969

azoohouse said:
    azoohouse said:

Let me clarify that. The Installed number is going down. The Ready to Install number is going up.

edited December 1969

azoohouse said:
    azoohouse said:
    azoohouse said:

Let me clarify that. The Installed number is going down. The Ready to Install number is going up.

I'm just going to let it run. It's half way through now. Hopefully I'll be able to check all the options before it begins the install process to make sure that it puts them back in the right (default) directory folder.

edited December 1969

azoohouse said:
    azoohouse said:
    azoohouse said:
    azoohouse said:

I'm just going to let it run. It's half way through now. Hopefully I'll be able to check all the options before it begins the install process to make sure that it puts them back in the right (default) directory folder.
    I checked the options and everything appeared correct. The install path hadn't changed since the earlier versions. It is now re-installing at a much slower pace. Ugh, going to take considerable time I'm afraid and I still must download and install what I purchased earlier because it never did that. I have no clue what happened or why. I'm crossing my fingers that DazStudio4.5 (and Poser Pro) will still function properly after all this effort in content management.

edited May 2013

3DAGE said:

You can add "install to" locations, using the settings button on the right) which are different from the "Application" location.

hope it helps :)
    You can add more, or different "Install to" locations,. to install files to a specific folder,

Thank you a lot for that information. But I am still a bit confused how that is working in practice.

I did notice that I can set up different paths but how does the DIM know how to use which path for which installer type?

Do I have to think for the DIM and manually switch between the different paths?

This would also mean that I have to download in steps.
    First download all DAZ content manually set installation to path A
    Then download all DAZ system manually set installation to path B
    Then download all e-on vue files manually set installation topath C.
    Then download all photoshop files manually set installation to path D.
    Then download all general content files manually set installation to path E.

Or is the DIM smart enought to know which type of installer goes into which path?

- - -

Some more feedback:

Photoshop files:

I just discovered that Ron´s Brushes and other texture only products are now also showing up in DIM.

So far I figured out that I can set up the path to photoshop in the application.

- - -

As far as I remember some of Ron´s pack inlude styles and brushes but some also include background images.

- - -

Again my basic question is what is the default way how the DIM handles those mixed installers?

Will the photoshop brushes and styles automatically be placed into photoshop when the path is setup correctly?

But what will happen with the backgrounds? Will they also be placed under

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6 (64 Bit)

- - -

General Content Files

There are also some items sold on the DAZ store that with the installers were titled General Content.

Sometimes they are .obj sometimes they include textures or merchant resources that come not with any DS presets.

How are those files handled?

Since those files do not seem to have any tags for any application in which location are they by default unzipped?

- - -

How does the DIM know when it needs to use the application path (system files) and when the Library (content) Installation path?

I really find it awesome that there are now most files in the DAZ store available in the DIM.

But I am really a bit overwhelmed with the lack of information which changes I need to make that all those files are downloaded and installed into the right place.

My main issue is that I am currently not understanding the following process:

How does the DIM know what type of installer (content or system files) it is and where it needs to install it?

To me it is especially not clear at all how I can set up custom paths for non DAZ content?

If I want vue content, photoshop content and General Content to be unzipped into a specific folder how do I set that up.

So far in the "Applications Tab" all that I found is the way to set the path to the vue and photoshop applications.

But in the in "Installation Tab" there only seems to be the option to indicate a path to the DAZ library.

What I would like to do is to set up different content libraries for vue, photoshop and gerneral content.

Can I do that allready?

Yes I can set up different paths to different libraries but there is no option to tell the DIM which installers it should unzip in which library.

To put it different what seems to be missing is the option to assoziate a library path in the Installation tab with a specific content type for a specific application.

What I tried to describe earlier is the common issue that also for other applications the system folder and the content folders are not necessarily in the same place. Setting up the application path does not automatically yield to the content files being placed in the right folder.

Or is the main idea that the DIM just can download those files but then I have to manually unzip and place them into the right location as before?

- - -

Example:

If I want the DIM to handle all DAZ files as before but download and unzip all e-on vue, photoshop, and general content files to C:\Users\USERNAME\Downloads

how would I set that up?

Is that even possible?

]If you've installed something,. and you think it's installed to the wrong location,.

You can Right click on the product in the "installed" tab,. then select (installed files).

That will open a window showing the main Install location, and the locations of all the installed files for that product.

If it's been installed to the wrong location, by accident, or because no other path for that product was available.or specified..
    then it's easy to Un-install it,. ..add / change the application path,... and install the product correctly,.

you can then double check that the files are installed to the correct location by viewing the "installed files" list.

I tried both installer files and installed files but I still have no clue where it actually put those files.
    I am still under the impression that they were not installed even though they are in the installed list.

- I set up a new library and
    - called it e-on vue files and
    - switched to that library
    - then run the installer and

there are still no files to be found in the path indicated.
    The only thing that is placed in the target folder is the file

InstallManagerFileRegister.ini

What am I doing wrong?

Added two screenshot that shows how I set up custom paths and what it looks like after installation.

- - -

I could now just download all the files and look what happens. But somehow I would really more appreciate if I get detailed information how the DIM deals with all those different files for different applications.

Can we please get a tutorial video that shows how to set up the DIM for photoshop files and another video that shows how to set up the DIM for e-on vue files?

You could use some of RONs brushes that included brushes, styles and backgrouds to illustrate for photoshop.

And any of Martin Frosts plants as a showcase for e-on vue.

Update / Edit:

Updated the text with more information.
    Added two screenshots.

DIM_installed_files.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 338K
    DIM_e-on_vue_files.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 351K
  • LeticiaLeticia Posts: 126
    edited December 1969

I just thought I'd note that when the Install Manager told me there was an update, I let it try to install, got the error.
    Went directly to the DIM page at http://www.daz3d.com/install-manager-info/ and what I downloaded there was still .112, so when I reinstalled, I still got the same problem.

Only after that did I come to the forums trying to figure out if there were workarounds to get the install manager working again.
    You might want to make sure that the DIM page on the website is pointing to the new installer.

edited December 1969

Autoupdate now works on both Mac and Windows. If you have already updated, it will update again. If you haven't updated yet but Run Install Manager it will correctly update for you.

If you wish to change where Install manager is installed, then please follow these steps:

1. Download the Install Manager Installer from your Account-Product Library Page. 
    2. Uninstall Install Manager. 
    3. Run the Installer and specify an Install Location. 
    edited December 1969

azoohouse said:
    azoohouse said:
    azoohouse said:
    azoohouse said:
    azoohouse said:

I checked the options and everything appeared correct. The install path hadn't changed since the earlier versions. It is now re-installing at a much slower pace. Ugh, going to take considerable time I'm afraid and I still must download and install what I purchased earlier because it never did that. I have no clue what happened or why. I'm crossing my fingers that DazStudio4.5 (and Poser Pro) will still function properly after all this effort in content management.
    Well after 6 hours of tying up my computer the DIM has finally completed doing its thing. I'm happy to say everything went back in its proper place and seems to be working just fine in DazStudio. I still don't know WHY this all happened in the first place as I didn't do anything different or change any settings other than running the DIM update installer. I will quit ranting now and stop talking to myself in this forum and get on with creating a work of art :) Cheers!

• TheNathanParableTheNathanParable Posts: 984
    edited May 2013

The update crashed while attempting to uninstall the previous version, just like with the most recent Daz Studio updates. I'm assuming this is an nvinit*.dll issue again.

Doing a search for "nvinit.dll" on my computer brings up FIFTEEN different .dll files, some of them called "nvinit.dll", and some of them "nvinitx.dll". Am I expected to rename all of these?

Oh bugger it, i'll just delete the uninstallers like last time, it's easier that way and it hasn't caused any issues yet.

EDIT: Well great. After redownloading and reinstalling it (because the failed install attempt rendered it unusable), now the manager won't even recognise the fact that there's been an update, and is now stick at version 1.0.0.112. Is there any reason why this update is only available as an automatic update, and not as a downloadable installer?

Post edited by TheNathanParable on
  • LindseyLindsey Posts: 1,984
    edited May 2013

DIM was manually added to my Product Library and the update is available there and installed it manually. It will uninstall the old version. I also downloaded the filter file and put the zip in my DIM download folder and it showed up in the Ready to Install tab.

Just a warning, the update will boot with all of the new filters selected and you may see lots of new files to download. I went in set my filters back to only DS4.5, then explored the new filters to see what popped up in the Ready to Download tab.

Post edited by Lindsey on