Make Carrara Open Source!!!

Hi Daz,

If you are listening, Carrara is really a gem, different from top of the line 3D apps but much easier to use (including Blender) and has 1 in all feature set for creating 3D. Sice you are not developing Carrara anymore (since 2013), are there any chances you will make it open source? I see there are several people intersted in keeping it alive and improving it.  

Comments

  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 28,093

    Oh dear,  cruelty to deceased equines once again.

  • I would love to see an improvement to the dynamic hair, this plugin is awesome but can't be usefull if you want to export the hair to work with it in other programs like DazStudio.
    So something like Philemo hair converter plugin directly integrated to Carrara would be nice, an option to convert the hair to a vertex object, or in generel an additional option to make fibermesh hair as those can also look very realistic.
    Maybe also an additional 3Delight and Iray render option for Carrara would be awesome and a complete compability to DazStudio and it's content like Genesis 3 or newer.
    And not to forget, it would be great if Carrara could be able to open nearly any 3D file and can also save to that format, that you don't just save it as for example fbx or obj file to open it in another software as object.

  • 3drendero3drendero Posts: 990
    edited January 6

    At least Carrara 8.1 should be possible to open-source:
    -It does not have any of the DAZ3D know-how/copyright Genesis technology.
    -DAZ3D can still sell 8.5 and 8.5 Pro versions of Carrara
    -Carrara 8.1 (32bit) has been available as a free 30 day demo since 2011 from: http://download.cnet.com/Carrara-8-Pro/3000-6677_4-10782148.html
    -Will increase the Carrara popularity and increase the DAZ3D sales of 8.5 and other Carrara items

    Does anyone have any contacts at DAZ3D HQ to pitch the idea?

    Post edited by 3drendero on
  • DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,833

    Excuse my ignorance, but I wonder why a computer programmer cannot have access to all the data of a program (installed or not)…

  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 28,093
    Chohole said:

    Oh dear,  cruelty to deceased equines once again.

     

  • Port to Linux OS would make life so beautiful :)  and with Carrara being open source so many possibilities could become reality. Lets hope that Carrara still has chances of continuation, the absence of any official word about it for so many years makes the one be worried...

  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 13,966

    Port to Linux OS would make life so beautiful :) 

    That would get me to (finally) try Linux! :)

  • DUDU said:

    Excuse my ignorance, but I wonder why a computer programmer cannot have access to all the data of a program (installed or not)…

    Most companies use the copyright to get an advantage over competitors for their investments in programming and marketing.

    I was proposing an Open Source version for Carrara 8.1, since that version does NOT have any new tech that DAZ3D may need to protect against their competitors.
    While 8.5 has Genesis which is unique for DAZ3D and maybe the PostgreSQL database.

  • DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,833

    A copyright, OK but technically, when you have a program, I guess you could have access to all the data's?

  • AlbertoAlberto Posts: 195
    DUDU said:

    A copyright, OK but technically, when you have a program, I guess you could have access to all the data's?

    Technically, yes, we have access to all data, but they are in machine code or similar (only numbers); the computer understands this code, but for a human being is practically unreadable (at least for programming). It is needed the source code, instead, for a real access to the data. The source code is human readable, is the language used for programming (latter, a compiler software translate this code to get the final program for the computer).

  • Port to Linux OS would make life so beautiful :) 

    That would get me to (finally) try Linux! :)

    Carrara 8.1 seems to work on older versions of WINE on Linux already:

    https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/165561/carrara-8-5-in-linux-using-wine

  • DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,833
    Alberto said:
    DUDU said:

    A copyright, OK but technically, when you have a program, I guess you could have access to all the data's?

    Technically, yes, we have access to all data, but they are in machine code or similar (only numbers); the computer understands this code, but for a human being is practically unreadable (at least for programming). It is needed the source code, instead, for a real access to the data. The source code is human readable, is the language used for programming (latter, a compiler software translate this code to get the final program for the computer).

    OK, it is a little clearer for me, thank you for this explanation!

Sign In or Register to comment.