Carrara 8.5 in Linux using Wine

Has anyone tried installing Carrara 8.5 on a Linux box (I'm using Linux Mint) using Wine? I'm using the latest versions of everything.  

It seems to install okay, but I get an error message about 'cr2importer.mcx' failing to load, which I ignore. And then when I attempt in add a Runtime, I select the runtime, but nothing happens. I can add scenes and other folders, but runtimes it just seems to ignore. The list of runtimes remains blank. And when I try to autodetect runtimes, Carrara crashes. I even tried moving the runtime to different drives (both windows and linux), but that didn't help

And when I try to load an existing scene, the resulting object mesh looks like something exploded in my scene, with vertices all over the place. 

I tried uninstalling/reinstalling, but that didn't help. Anyone have any ideas? 

Thanks.

Comments

• ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255

After a bit more investigating, I realized the version of Wine that the Linux Mint software installer installed was 1.6.2, while the latest stable version is 2.0.4 or something like that.

So I installed 2.0, and Carrara froze at the opening splash screen and never recovered. I had to manually kill it. Same with the latest Wine development version 2.4. So I backtracked to 1.6.2, and I was back to the original problems.

Now there's an old post here saying you need to select Windows XP emulation in the wine configuration ('winecfg' in the linux terminal window) in order to prevent the cr2importer.mcx error, but I tried it, and other Windows versions, but I still get the problem. I even backtracked to Wine 1.4, and no change. 

Does anyone have Carrara 8.5 working in Wine on a Mint or Ubuntu machine? 

Thanks.

• Hello, 

Got notified about your message but can't open it, so I respond here. 

It looks like the latest wine versions broke something. I can get Carrara working up until late version 1.6, but 1.7 and up no luck. I guess it needs investigation. Or maybe wine devs think Carrara is a dead horse and move on to change some part of wine on which Carrara was dependent. 

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,099

Here is the thread I was looking for

Carrara and Linux? Is it possible?

which leads to this thread as well

Not sure if either are of help though.

Here is the thread I was looking for

Carrara and Linux? Is it possible?

which leads to this thread as well

Not sure if either are of help though.

Thanks. Yeah I saw those, but it's mostly a couple folks saying "it works for me", but without any detail on what works. And one thread was from way back in 2012.

Unfortunately, this seems to depend on what version of Linux, what version of Wine, what version of Carrara, what settings for each software, did it work with old Carrara scenes, and so on. My best guess is you need an old version of Wine (circa 1.6), and maybe an old emulator setting in Wine (Windows XP), and some other settings I'm not sure of. Though even with those settings it doesnt work for me, 

I think it's safe to say that Carrara in Linux using Wine is shaky at best.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,099

Bummer. I'm not getting along with Windows 10 that well. It keeps wanting to operate my computer for me - and it doesn't like the same stuff I do. I might just have to go back to an older workstation with Win 7 Pro and just stick with that. Carrara is why I turn my computer on. If they stop maintaining Win 7 against internet threats, and there's no other choice, I guess I'll just have to disconnect my internet and work offline.

• Jetbird D2Jetbird D2 Posts: 89

well, I have tried Carrara + wine + various Linux distributions with success (ranging from Ubuntu based OS from 11.04 to 16.04 and one Opensuse version from 2014)  up until wine version 1.7 came out. Key things to do used to be remove the tick in the Texture spooling menu in the preferences. And don't use Daz 3D smart content feature introduced in Carrara 8.5  So Genesis figures not friendly on Wine and Carrara. Other thing to keep in mind used to be never cancel operations, because that leads to crash (on my system that is) 

No special Wine settings were needed for Carrara to run. Only one preference change in Carrara's settings. 

But Wine 1.7 and above results in not working Carrara. Wine Version 1.6 and 1.5 should be good and working.  

my latest discovery is that Carrara 8.5 doesn;t want to work. Carrara 8.1.1 works 

attaches is the screenshot 

Screenshot_20170504_004055.jpeg
    1920 x 1080 - 210K

Ahhhh, maybe that's the secret. Only Carrara 8.1 works, not 8.5. That would explain a lot. 

I don't even know what 8.1 is. It looks like from the top of this forum that 8.5 came out almost 4 years ago, so did 8.1 come out like 6 years ago or something?

In any case, I think it's a dead issue for me at least. I'm not going back to a very old version just to run it on Linux. Darn.

Thanks for the info.

ebergerly said:

Ahhhh, maybe that's the secret. Only Carrara 8.1 works, not 8.5. That would explain a lot. 

I don't even know what 8.1 is. It looks like from the top of this forum that 8.5 came out almost 4 years ago, so did 8.1 come out like 6 years ago or something?

In any case, I think it's a dead issue for me at least. I'm not going back to a very old version just to run it on Linux. Darn.

Thanks for the info.

Well, Carrara 8.5 used to work in earlier versions of wine. I guess the smart content management stuff is the issue. Cause that what used to make carara 8.5 crash on wine. The main difference of Careara 8.5 vs 8.1 is the support for Genesis figures which as I heard is still not perfect in C8.5. I might be wrong though. Didn't use Carrara for quite some time. Then there are some small new cool features in the sequencer and that that is it I think. Not a very big difference between these versions if you are not into Genesis stuff and using Daz Studio for rigging your own custom characters. Although itbis strange that c8.5 doesn't work. Must be that smart content management utility that ruins it. Can't think of any other big change in c8.5