Any easy way to find which texture files match which items only by creators' names???

Hey all, 

So I haven't been using Daz very long (much more time with Poser), and I just started working on some new custom texture files (always fun.) But... the files are all under the names of the creators in Runtime, so the top level folder is not the name of the item. I can't figure out a way to even halfway easily match the item to the folder only by the artist's name and then open the files-- without going into every single artist's name folder individually and clicking it open to see who created what. The only way I've found to figure out who created an item is to go into the original order files, click on the item, and then look at the names on the original creator's page and match them to the item. Going to the item in the content library, right clicking, and finding the duf file obviously has only the name of the item, not the creator.  It just seems like there HAS to be an easier way to do this! Any tips or clues???

Post edited by anise_leinen_390fa63a2b on

Comments

• drives me nuts too, I often open the duf files in notepad to find the texture path if it’s not compressed but so many things it is hard even finding what goes with what via the library if you don’t use smart content or a different generation with matching UV’s .

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155

Suppose you want to edit the texture of a dress. If you load the dress in to the scene and go to the Surfaces pane you can right click on any fo the little square image map thumbnails and select Browse. That will open the folder that contains the texture file.

• barbult said:

Suppose you want to edit the texture of a dress. If you load the dress in to the scene and go to the Surfaces pane you can right click on any fo the little square image map thumbnails and select Browse. That will open the folder that contains the texture file.

works for one thats loaded true

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438
    th3Digit said:

I often open the duf files in notepad to find the texture path if it’s not compressed

Note that Daz Studio has a Batch Compress pane (Windows> Panes> Batch Compress). This allows you to select any files and compress/uncompress them. So even if a file is compressed, you can still uncompress it and look at it.

• Thanks-- I think honestly that it might make the most sense in the long run to just go through all the folders in Runtime by name and find out what's in them, then create a word doc with the entire list. 

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    edited December 2017

If you installed by DIM you could make a big catalogue local website based on the products calling out each file that is contained in that product in the DIM product install listings (you already have a complete product list at the bottom of your Content Library tab but it doesn't call out each of the individual files in the products listed).  You could even code your local html page to use file:// to open a link to the local file on your computer. 

As far as how DAZ 3D could make is easier on us...actually don't these image formats allow for embedding unseen text in the image file? So DAZ 3D could embed the DAZ Product number, the Surface & the surface shader slot the texture goes into on the Surfaces (and the settings for that Surfaces slot but not as much). It could embed whether a texture is diffuse, displacement, bump, normal, and whatever other technical specs are allowed. And then you could just run a script to create & update your word doc with the embedded information.

DAZ 3D could also include the product's list of files their installed location in the Products listing in the Content Library in DAZ Studio too. With Poser products and manual installed products (eg typical Renderosity product) that wouldn't work though.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • I honestly don’t know why they are bothering to stick to the Poser runtime structure when doing DAZ studio only content when most who use Poser would rather they actually supported Poser, it seems very irrelevant.

The textures IMO should be in a Subfolder of the product they are made for even if it is the original PA who made the item’s texture folder with the actual name of that product somewhere in the folder on some file such as a readmd so search everything can at least find it.