Realistic Renders...NOT!! 11 "Hello Rogerbee!"

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,501
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

The early Elite textures were great, but ONLY if you had DS and the Elite Human Surface Shader, they were pants without it and were hell to light and render in Poser. I threw everything at Lana, she was responsible for my purchasing just about every light set going. I used EZ Skin 2 to get the render I did yesterday and while I like it there are other better textures around now that aren't so hard to work with if you don't have DS.

CHEERS!

...I rarely used Elite textures or the HSS because they were such memory hogs during rendering at least in older versions of 3Delight & Daz Studio.
  • DireBunnyDireBunny Posts: 556
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

...I rarely used Elite textures or the HSS because they were such memory hogs during rendering at least in older versions of 3Delight & Daz Studio.

I'm with you there. I have to be careful what i do or suffer the wrath of a crashed render half way through.Learned my lesson a long time ago not to over do it too.
    These days i rarely render a whole scene anymore. it is almost always several renders of individual pieces post-worked all together at the end.

Plus side it gives me more flexibility during post work ."lol"

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited November 2012

I almost always exclusively use texture by Rebelmommy, just something about them that really draws me and and screams buy/use me.

Lately however i have been using VH Lemon for Victoria 4.2

Except foe eyes. for the eyes i use Frostbite 's eyes from IgnisSerpentus

This is slightly old now (like a couple months or so) and I'm sure i posted it somewhere around here i don't remember but for reference anyway this was my first render with the VH Lemon texture. I fell in love with the texture as soon as i started playing around with it.
    done in d|s3a

One of these days I'd like to get poser, what I've seen looks pretty impressive. Probably wont happen any time soon though "lol".

Edit to add I did use Lana elite spec map though. not the default that came with the texture.

Rebelmommy has done some really great textures, as has Godin, there isn't any one texture that I always use and I like to experiment. EZ Skin 2 looks to me to be a way to revisit older textures and breathe new life into them. Poser, the library aside, was always more intuitive to me and there was less fiddling with shaders to be done as they always load the way the artist intended. With DS it always loaded its own defaults, leaving you guessing as to what the artist had intended.

ps1borg said:

I confess I don't really understand using depth maps for scattering, I mean I get the process but for me scatter is a volumetric effect and I want to use it in a volumetric rather than a planar setup.

That might have been how they used to do it, all I know is that it works and works well now.

I'm with you there. I have to be careful what i do or suffer the wrath of a crashed render half way through.Learned my lesson a long time ago not to over do it too.
    These days i rarely render a whole scene anymore. it is almost always several renders of individual pieces post-worked all together at the end.

Plus side it gives me more flexibility during post work ."lol"

I used to have to worry about memory too, nowadays it seems to be corrupt XML's that like to kill PP2012, they get overwritten every time it launches and they get more corrupt every time until it can't take any more.

Below is a render from the Axel International M5 series, the head is Kurt, I think this set must use M4 UV's as, when I thought the eyes were a bit pants, I put in Shaw's eyes and they worked.

CHEERS!

M5_Kurt_Axel.jpg
    588 x 600 - 124K
    Post edited by Rogerbee on
  • ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776
    edited December 1969

That is a real nice looking texture, is real vibrant with that lighting setup.

I'm a little bogged down with Genesis trying to convert stuff from Studio to Poser, having difficulties with metadata in Studio I think, pretty clueless about metadata ;)

edited December 1969

Thanks,

There is a problem with the body hair SSS texture though, when you load it over the existing texture, the neck renders the wrong colour!

You will see what I mean below, it's all fine if you use the default SSS textures though. I've posted in the artist's thread so I'll see what he thinks is causing it.

CHEERS!

M5_Axel_Body_Hair_SSS.jpg
    588 x 600 - 119K
    edited December 1969

This is a texture called Ethel by Tempesta3D at Rendo. I didn't use the shaders that came with it but they are Poser friendly. Used just a smidge of IDL at render time to soften the under-chin shadow otherwise one infinite, one spot and one point light. Hehe I just got no feel for the glam shot, gots to laugh :)

E30701801.jpg
    1500 x 938 - 347K
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

Thanks,

There is a problem with the body hair SSS texture though, when you load it over the existing texture, the neck renders the wrong colour!

You will see what I mean below, it's all fine if you use the default SSS textures though. I've posted in the artist's thread so I'll see what he thinks is causing it.

CHEERS!

That is weird :)

edited December 1969

ps1borg said:
    This is a texture called Ethel by Tempesta3D at Rendo. I didn't use the shaders that came with it but they are Poser friendly. Used just a smidge of IDL at render time to soften the under-chin shadow otherwise one infinite, one spot and one point light. Hehe I just got no feel for the glam shot, gots to laugh :)

Roseanne Barr, the teenage years! :D

ps1borg said:

Thanks, There is a problem with the body hair SSS texture though, when you load it over the existing texture, the neck renders the wrong colour! You will see what I mean below, it's all fine if you use the default SSS textures though. I've posted in the artist's thread so I'll see what he thinks is causing it. CHEERS!

That is weird :)

Yeah, it is a bit, I'm the only Poser renderer in the Axel thread itself so nobody else has encountered that issue. I've tried everything I can think of.

Until it's fixed, I can just load the non SSS textures and then run EZ Skin to get the SSS.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

It occurred to me that perhaps both figures, the hair and the body, have materials that share the same scatter groups. If so it may be that all that is needed is to assign one of the figures materials to another scatter group by entering a different number into the scatter group entry in the Scatter node, Just saying, maybe :)

edited November 2012

...first shot at Leela using the NPMs I was finally able to load into Genesis.

leela_pub_PW.png
    618 x 800 - 728K
    Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

*loves* :)

edited December 1969

ps1borg said:
    It occurred to me that perhaps both figures, the hair and the body, have materials that share the same scatter groups. If so it may be that all that is needed is to assign one of the figures materials to another scatter group by entering a different number into the scatter group entry in the Scatter node, Just saying, maybe :)

No, it wasn't that,

What it was was that the diffuse value in Skin Neck was 1.00000000 when it should have been 0! You change that and it's fine!

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

Nice render,

Those NPM's sound interesting, are they something that has yet to be DSON'ed?

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:
    ps1borg said:

No, it wasn't that,

What it was was that the diffuse value in Skin Neck was 1.00000000 when it should have been 0! You change that and it's fine!

CHEERS!

likes.png
    100 x 100 - 6K
    edited November 2012

Yeah, phew, not sure how to save the material so that it always loads with the corrected value though. I might wait for the artist to update it.

CHEERS!

EDIT:

The problem lay in the DUF file, I opened it in Notepad and looked for this line:

“url” : “name://@selection#materials/2_SkinNeck:?diffuse_strength/value”,
    “keys” : [ [ 0, 1 ] ]
    }

If you change that 1 to a 0 and save it, that fixes it.

M5_Axel_Body_Hair_SSS_Fixed.jpg
    588 x 600 - 95K
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

Nice render,

CHEERS!
    ...thanks.

Not sure there is or will be a DSON version as the NPMs are actually Gen4 (Seph4). I was able to import them using the GenX plugin.

I find the NPMs so useful for creating teen and pre-teen characters and with being able to add bits from other characters (for example I added in a little Mavka as well, to give her a more petite frame than the standard Steph4/Genesis morphs allow) there are different options to work with that Gen4 never had. I'll do another with her in a swimsuit to better show off her delicate physique.

One thing I really like is StudioPro's Transfer Utility which allows for clothing fits that are far superior than just using the Autofit tool. For example, I never could get the Teen Ashley top to fit a more petite figure without serious distortion of the upper chest area.

Yeah, my skepticism about 4.5 is quickly fading the more I work with it. Still have to be careful not to load a scene with too much or the app will crash due to the fact my old system is right on the borderline with regards to OpenGL support.

BTW this render took over three hours as it involved UE and raytracing. Even in 4.5 IBL and raytracing is a killer although the new version of 3Delight manages it much better.

Really wish that DreamLight would update LDP for 4.5.

edited December 1969

...as promised, the Leela Swimsuit pic. Ended up using the old standby, V4 Body Suit as I wanted just a nice simple 1 piece.

With help from the Fabricator I feel it turned out rather well.

[taken at the Grande Estate Natatorium]

leela_swimsuit.jpg
    800 x 1131 - 542K
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...as promised, the Leela Swimsuit pic. Ended up using the old standby, V4 Body Suit as I wanted just a nice simple 1 piece.

Real nice mod of the body suit :)

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    Rogerbee said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

Nice render,

CHEERS!

...thanks.

Not sure there is or will be a DSON version as the NPMs are actually Gen4 (Seph4). I was able to import them using the GenX plugin.

I find the NPMs so useful for creating teen and pre-teen characters and with being able to add bits from other characters (for example I added in a little Mavka as well, to give her a more petite frame than the standard Steph4/Genesis morphs allow) there are different options to work with that Gen4 never had. I'll do another with her in a swimsuit to better show off her delicate physique.

One thing I really like is StudioPro's Transfer Utility which allows for clothing fits that are far superior than just using the Autofit tool. For example, I never could get the Teen Ashley top to fit a more petite figure without serious distortion of the upper chest area.

Yeah, my skepticism about 4.5 is quickly fading the more I work with it. Still have to be careful not to load a scene with too much or the app will crash due to the fact my old system is right on the borderline with regards to OpenGL support.

BTW this render took over three hours as it involved UE and raytracing. Even in 4.5 IBL and raytracing is a killer although the new version of 3Delight manages it much better.

Really wish that DreamLight would update LDP for 4.5.

Oh, I see,

Well, now things are available that we all can use then there will doubtless be more development done in the morph line.

If renders like that are taking 3 hours I'd seriously consider investing in a newer system. On my quad core the renders I've been doing take minutes, even with IDL. It's either that or you should get PP2012 and see how you get on with it.

I think DSON gave us that transfer utility as I use it on clothing, and yes, it does work rather well.

Yes, that is a great looking render. Below are a few I've been working on, they're EZ Skin reworks of renders further back in the thread. The last one is DM's old Luciana texture.

CHEERS!

V5_Luciana_EZ.jpg
    588 x 600 - 148K
    M5_Terry_B_EZ.jpg
    588 x 600 - 160K
    M5_Shaw_Mix_EZ.jpg
    588 x 600 - 141K
    M5_Hunk_EZ.jpg
    588 x 600 - 117K
    edited December 1969

I decided to give Maya the EZ treatment. The first render was, well, a bit ho hum compared to the way other female textures have looked. However, I then zoomed in and........ see for yourselves!

CHEERS!

V5_Maya_EZ_Close_Up.jpg
    588 x 600 - 165K
    V5_Maya_EZ.jpg
    588 x 600 - 123K
    edited December 1969

...I have to agree, when it comes down to the nuances, The firefly render engine e is so much better. Have to wait until I can get the`64 bit workstation up band fully running so I can give this a shot in Pro 2012.

edited November 2012

Yeah, I don't think you'll regret it.

PP2012 takes all the guesswork out of setting things up. With EZ Skin, Snarlygribbly already set it up with all the values that look best, which just leaves you to run it and then do the render.

If you remember, most of the early Elite textures had really harsh bump maps and settings, EZ skin replaced them with procedural bump maps and the difference is up there to see.

I tried it on Rio and, hmm, I can't really tell that much difference, you win some....

CHEERS!

V5_Rio_EZ.jpg
    588 x 600 - 135K
    edited December 1969

...what is really scary is I can render with IBL, SSS, and AO with ray tracing on my old 32 bit system in PP 2010. In Daz Studio it crashes.

edited November 2012

I think that's down to how memory intensive DS is, even on the laptops before this one I could run IDL, though a single core processor was never the best of ideas! PP2012 loves the system I have now, it has 2 graphics cards, one integrated Intel and a dedicated Radeon. I set it up so all the high end graphics are using the Radeon and I leave the Intel to do the rest. 6gb of RAM really helps too, anything less and you'd still have problems.

CHEERS!

PS (It's odd how they've DSON'ed characters and poses for Stephanie 5 but they haven't done the lady herself yet, go figure!)

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,500
    edited December 1969

Hello, Rogerbee. Beautiful images in this thread. Below is my render of Sase Whimsy for Victoria 4.2 made in Poser Pro 2012.
    I have used lights from the IDL Studio 2. I am always amazed by the speed of the rendering in Poser and as I am getting
    older it become an important issue for me. The rendering took only a couple of minutes to finish. Click the image to see it enlarged.

SaseWhimsy01pic11.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 163K
    SaseWhimsy01pic12.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 204K
    edited December 1969

Welcome back Artini,

We're slowly getting the old gang back again! On looking closely at your renders you can see what I was talking about regarding the bump maps. If you get EZ Skin 2 from Snarlygribbly it'd sort them out and really give the textures a kick. You can find it here:

http://snarlygribbly.org/3d/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=134&sid=5670f34097802574768dd79fcd7e5da0

I can't recommend it enough!

On reflection, I think it was Lana and Maya that I had real issues with. I ran Amy through EZ Skin 2 and she looks superb, probably one of the most natural looking textures there is. I'll run the other Elite textures through it and see how they look.

CHEERS!

V5_Amy_EZ_Close_Up.jpg
    588 x 600 - 194K
    V5_Amy_EZ.jpg
    588 x 600 - 175K
    edited December 1969

Yes, I have downloaded EZ Skin 2 and have to give it a try.

edited December 1969

I have converted materials with EZ Skin 2 (default settings) in my previous scene and below is a render of it.

SaseWhimsy01pic13.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 217K
    edited December 1969

That looks much better, the skin looks much more natural now.

Below is the Natasha Elite texture, followed by the Kerry Ann texture from the Ethnique bundle, her face was done by morphing her nose and lower lip.

Oh yeah, I just looked at the specs for the S4 Genesis and was disappointed to find that you didn't get the head morphs that you did with the Gen 4 version, something which they don't seem to do with S5 either. Surely there must be a V5 or S5 character set somewhere which gives you head morphs you can mix and match like you can with Axel for M5.

CHEERS!

V5_Kerry_Ann_EZ.jpg
    588 x 600 - 135K
    V5_Natasha_EZ.jpg
    588 x 600 - 120K
    edited December 1969

Thanks. Your renders of Natasha and Kerry Ann looks great.
    Have you tried any of Thorne and Handspan Studios Genesis Head Morph Resource Kits?
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/dson-all/genesis-head-morph-resource-kit-3
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/genesis-head-morph-resource-kit-2
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/genesis-head-morph-resource-kit-1
    They provide additional head morphs for Genesis.
    These packs are listed under DSON category
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/dson-all?limit=60&p=2&utm_campaign=Save+an+Additional+30%+on+DSON+Products+11_07_12
    so you can save 30% on them, if you received a discount code in the newsletter.

This discussion has been closed.