Winners Announced: The 2013 Stonemason Catalogue Contest

Comments

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Laticis said:
    Miss B said:
    Laticis said:
    A larger file for you Miss B :)

Thank you! Now I can have one with your "sig". I was at a friend's with my laptop yesterday and she and her hubby both wanted to know where I got the kewl desktop image. I told them a great 3D artist on one of my forums won an important contest with that great render. ;-)

:D

Do you ever have troubles explaining what we do.... :)
    Sometimes yes, and sometimes I just get a shrug of the shoulders like it's no big deal. ~sheesh~ Then again, if I could produce artwork like you do, I'd probably get better reactions more often. :coolsmirk:

• Geminii23Geminii23 Posts: 1,327
    edited December 1969

A lot of my family either don't really understand or sometimes seem to dumb down the process in their mind. As if what we are doing isn't real art to them. I have had to explain in great detail what I do with DAZ and they are like "I don't understand what you are creating if the application has all these different 3D models in it for you to use."

What was funnier than that was trying to explain why I was so excited to place in this contest. They were like "but what do the models you win do for you?"

Oh, well.

• Satira CapriccioSatira Capriccio Posts: 523
    edited December 1969

Congrats everyone.

Apparently, I have easily impressed friends and coworkers. They all think what I do is magical. Most ... like me ... work in the technology field and are savvy enough to have some kind of an inkling about 3d art. Some even have had experience with 3d software.

My family has always been a bit harder to read when it comes to my art. Even when I did traditional art, I could never tell what they thought about my paintings and sculptures. But, I come from a sports family, so unless it can be thrown, hit, caught, or ridden, it kinda doesn't count.

It's just one of the many ways in which I'm different.

It all started with being the oldest and the only girl :wink:

• ISIKOLISIKOL Posts: 386
    edited December 1969

by the way has anyone heard of Stefan lately?

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited May 2013

I talked (pm) with him some within the last week. I'm guessing he's just busy working on a project.

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
    edited December 1969

Gedd said:
    I talked (pm) with him some within the last week. I'm guessing he's just busy working on a project.

thanks Gedd..

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,157
    edited December 1969

I sent a PM with my contest prize choices, but I haven't heard anything or seen them appear in my account yet.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

It does take a while to get it all organised behind the scenes. For a start he won't submit the list until he has everyone on it.

And then the poor overworked staff have to get them transferred.

• kmw_5213kmw_5213 Posts: 74
    edited December 1969

A great contest! Congrats to the winners and nice work by all the entrants!

Look forward to next year.

kmw

• Laticis ImageryLaticis Imagery Posts: 439
    edited December 1969

Miss B said:
    Laticis said:
    Miss B said:
    Laticis said:

Thank you! Now I can have one with your "sig". I was at a friend's with my laptop yesterday and she and her hubby both wanted to know where I got the kewl desktop image. I told them a great 3D artist on one of my forums won an important contest with that great render. ;-)

Sometimes yes, and sometimes I just get a shrug of the shoulders like it's no big deal. ~sheesh~ Then again, if I could produce artwork like you do, I'd probably get better reactions more often. :coolsmirk:

I got to the point where I just stopped trying.
    I do sometimes describe it by saying we a setting up a 3D photo shoot using whatever props and models we can find.

edited December 1969

Geminii23 said:
    A lot of my family either don't really understand or sometimes seem to dumb down the process in their mind. As if what we are doing isn't real art to them. I have had to explain in great detail what I do with DAZ and they are like "I don't understand what you are creating if the application has all these different 3D models in it for you to use."

What was funnier than that was trying to explain why I was so excited to place in this contest. They were like "but what do the models you win do for you?"

Oh, well.

Took my family ages to understand why I was spending so much money on items that didn't really exist lol

edited December 1969

Congrats everyone.

Apparently, I have easily impressed friends and coworkers. They all think what I do is magical. Most ... like me ... work in the technology field and are savvy enough to have some kind of an inkling about 3d art. Some even have had experience with 3d software.

My family has always been a bit harder to read when it comes to my art. Even when I did traditional art, I could never tell what they thought about my paintings and sculptures. But, I come from a sports family, so unless it can be thrown, hit, caught, or ridden, it kinda doesn't count.

It's just one of the many ways in which I'm different.

It all started with being the oldest and the only girl :wink:

Ah, one of the lucky ones ;)

edited December 1969

Seriously Daz people..if you need someone to help you distribute all the earnings just gimme access to the store and i will do it for you :D

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,388
    edited December 1969

He has to wait till all the winners contact him to turn the list into DAZ.

edited December 1969

I got a PM from Stonemason saying the the prize winners had to "put the prizes into their account carts". I logged in and added my selections to the cart, but now what???? I thought maybe they would show up as $0 or something, but that didn't happen. Is there something else I need to do?

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313
    edited December 1969

I'm wondering about this as well.

• WirenutWirenut Posts: 30
    edited December 1969

The DAZ office is closed on Sundays. I suspect we'll just have to wait till Monday.

edited December 1969

I guess tomorrow will be the day! :)

• RawArtRawArt Posts: 5,754
    edited December 1969

Laticis said:
    Miss B said:
    Laticis said:
    Miss B said:
    Laticis said:

I do sometimes describe it by saying we a setting up a 3D photo shoot using whatever props and models we can find.

If you guys think its hard explaining the art you make....try explaining to people that you make characters to sell to artists. No one every really understands that one.
    My mum still doesnt understand how people can make art from the pictures on the computer that I show her....no matter how hard i try, it is way beyond her imagining LOL

edited December 1969

RawArt said:
    Laticis said:
    Miss B said:
    Laticis said:
    Miss B said:
    Laticis said:

If you guys think its hard explaining the art you make....try explaining to people that you make characters to sell to artists. No one every really understands that one.
    My mum still doesnt understand how people can make art from the pictures on the computer that I show her....no matter how hard i try, it is way beyond her imagining LOL

Ha ha...I had never even thought of that aspect...good one :)

edited December 1969

RawArt said:

Mom do you see this giant? This giant is an actor i made...

Now...this guy, took my actor, posed him, lighten him, chose the camera for him and took a picture...

I gave him the tool to make this completely awesome image, mom...

Mom...only now at the end, do you understand... (Vader) :)

See??? Wasn't that difficult to explain...and i don't even speak english! :D

edited December 1969

Isikol said:
    RawArt said:

Now...this guy, took my actor, posed him, lighten him, chose the camera for him and took a picture...

:bug: lol

• McGrandpaMcGrandpa Posts: 464
    edited December 1969

Hey y'all, just explain it like I do to my family. "THIS is CG Art . . . homestyle!" That usually gets a few Oooh's and Ahhhh's. :lol:

McG.

edited December 1969

McGrandpa said:
    Hey y'all, just explain it like I do to my family. "THIS is CG Art . . . homestyle!" That usually gets a few Oooh's and Ahhhh's. :lol:

McG.

LOL fair enough

• RawArtRawArt Posts: 5,754
    edited December 1969

Isikol said:
    RawArt said:

Hah...my mum is 82 years old and hardly even knows what a computer is....let alone what can really be done on them.
    But she is ok, she says as long as what I do is providing for my family, then thats all she cares about it :)

• LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,287
    edited December 1969

i think the worst one i ever had was when i was trying to show one of my girlfriends what it is that i do, her response was

"so all you really do is play dress up with little dolls all day?"

that was the end of that relationship

edited December 1969

Wirenut said:
    The DAZ office is closed on Sundays. I suspect we'll just have to wait till Monday.

Anybody heard anything about how this is supposed to work? My cart just sits there with expensive Stonemason products, and no sign of anything happening. I can't buy anything else in the store now, because of these things in my cart.
    edited December 1969

barbult said:
    Wirenut said:

Anybody heard anything about how this is supposed to work? My cart just sits there with expensive Stonemason products, and no sign of anything happening. I can't buy anything else in the store now, because of these things in my cart.

i had the exact same problem here...and i need these things that i had to delete...

• StonemasonStonemason Posts: 1,161
    edited December 1969

Sent another reminder about this to DAZ.hopefully, maybe tonight

edited December 1969

Sent another reminder about this to DAZ.hopefully, maybe tonight

Stefan personally i hate it that i have pushed you that far, and i wanted to express that publically....

i know that you are all busy with urban spawl 3 and probably with other projects....

contests are headaches for those who are making them...i know cause i have enetered a few...

it needs very good programming from the start and yours was an enormous one...

all i can promise in return is that i will be as supportive, and as promotional i can though my work...