[Released] IBL Master - Image Based Lighting control for both renderers & a new IBL for 3Delight

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,606
    edited January 2018
    Parris said:
    Quasar said:

I'm getting strange shading when I use IBLM and 3Delight. Here is a render without the textures so you can see what I'm referring to better. This wasn't happening with UE2. Does anyone know what's going wrong?

Yes, I think those dark lines are occlusion artifacts. Try rendering with Progressive on - Render Settings tab > Progressive > Progressive Rendering > On.

...I did the same but for some reason it took much longer (almost twice as long) as using the default render mode.  It did clear up the artefacts I was seeing but not pleased with it taking twice the time to complete.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • ParrisParris Posts: 392
    kyoto kid said:
    Parris said:
    Quasar said:

I'm getting strange shading when I use IBLM and 3Delight. Here is a render without the textures so you can see what I'm referring to better. This wasn't happening with UE2. Does anyone know what's going wrong?

Yes, I think those dark lines are occlusion artifacts. Try rendering with Progressive on - Render Settings tab > Progressive > Progressive Rendering > On.

...I did the same but for some reason it took much longer (almost twice as long) as using the default render mode.  It did clear up the artefacts I was seeing but not pleased with it taking twice the time to complete.

Hmmm... Not sure why, but if you use a plane primitive it will be lit by and potentially block the light. Using Backdrop on the Environment tab, will make it so the backdrop is unnaffected by the lighting.

edited January 2018

..,I turn Cast Shadows off for the plane (one of the features of 3DL I frequently use).  The reason I don't use the environment backdrop function is you cannot position the image where you want it and you only get "one size" as it is a function of the camera the scene is viewed through.

When I rendered the same scene (with the backdrop plane) in Bucket Mode, it completed in less than half the time.

• wowiewowie Posts: 2,029

The first great looking skin I ever rendered in 3DL was using wowie's first Photo Studio Kit. He had shaders and lights matched to 3 characters that DAZ sold. It worked with UberSurface2. https://www.daz3d.com/photo-studio-kit

Thanks Kevin. smiley

Looks like I'm almost done with the new presets for the new shader. wink 3 min 40 seconds with my variance based adaptive global illumination light, kettu's script and progressive. Oh yeah, progressive rendering is definitely faster than the non-progressive render.

3 minutes 39.80 seconds.jpg
    607 x 1000 - 341K
  • Lookin' good, wowie!!

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,743
    kyoto kid said:
    Parris said:
    Taoz said:

I rarely use HDRIs as background images, only for lighting, but I use normal background pictures (DS backdrop) quite often. How will that affect the usage of this product?

I often use backdrops as well. IBL Master works fine with them.

..the pic I posted here and on the Appreciation Thread uses a photo backdrop on a plane primitive.

OK thanks, think I'll give it a try then.

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    Parris said:
    So with surfaces like skin, for instance, it's important to recognize what all adds light. Lights add light, obviously, but so do Specular Strength, SSS and velvet. So you should reduce the intensity of lights, consider reducing Specular Strength, SSS strength, consider turning off velvet all together.

This is sage advice.

Velvet is not required to render human skin at all. There was (and maybe still is) a weird fashion to use velvet all over everything, even eyewhites, in 3Delight materials for many store character sets. This is very sad.

PS Not to toot my own horn, but I have had a free tutorial on using SSS in UberSurface+ (the free one and US2) up for years. The freebie thread is in my signature. There is a lot of related theory that can help those who are struggling with the concept.

UberSurface+ will be faster than another fashionable item, AoA Subsurface shader, for one simple reason: AoA's shader is a shader mixer network, and there is a bug/feature in shader mixer that makes 3Delight run a lot of unnecessary computations (for those who understand "tech speak": attaching an image brick to opacity forces "shader" hitmode always, even if there is no opacity map in that image brick).

// Killjoy out. Everyone resume their favourite activities.

...I'm using SBP for G2 and SBP3 for G3 which has it's own SSS setting.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,896

Yeah, for a time I thought I just didn't like 3dl skin until I realized velvet was the problem and shut it off every time I see it. I still have trouble with 3DL skin, but it's not nearly so bad as I thought.

(My preference is to move specular stuff over to reflection on UberSurface, but that's a taste issue)

Oso3D said:

(My preference is to move specular stuff over to reflection on UberSurface, but that's a taste issue)

If it's the original free UberSurface and you're using Fresnel as well, then it's also a taste for being more physically correct =))

Fresnel will attenuate reflection in the free one but not the specular.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    Parris said:
    So with surfaces like skin, for instance, it's important to recognize what all adds light. Lights add light, obviously, but so do Specular Strength, SSS and velvet. So you should reduce the intensity of lights, consider reducing Specular Strength, SSS strength, consider turning off velvet all together.

This is sage advice.

Velvet is not required to render human skin at all. There was (and maybe still is) a weird fashion to use velvet all over everything, even eyewhites, in 3Delight materials for many store character sets. This is very sad.

PS Not to toot my own horn, but I have had a free tutorial on using SSS in UberSurface+ (the free one and US2) up for years. The freebie thread is in my signature. There is a lot of related theory that can help those who are struggling with the concept.

UberSurface+ will be faster than another fashionable item, AoA Subsurface shader, for one simple reason: AoA's shader is a shader mixer network, and there is a bug/feature in shader mixer that makes 3Delight run a lot of unnecessary computations (for those who understand "tech speak": attaching an image brick to opacity forces "shader" hitmode always, even if there is no opacity map in that image brick).

// Killjoy out. Everyone resume their favourite activities.

even more sage advice

• I just love this simple fix to my Daz 3d universe .. I have so many props that I could not use because Delight was so slow .. but now I have choices ..and I so like to mix up the props to see what comes out.  thank you ... When you can make a cave entrance just by placing HDRI .. this is fantastic! and to see what you are doing in preview in Priceless.

cave 1.png
    732 x 561 - 730K
  • Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    edited January 2018

Ok so after testing IBLM with some indoor scenes using 3DL and not owning any HDRIs I found out that IBLM has to have a map plugged into the base color to give AO. I played with the public indoor pool and first tried no map but it just lights everything without shadows or AO just like UE2 in ambient mode. So I made a mid grey png and popped it into the base color slot and voila it worked. Here is a test render. I used the Uberarea light shader for ceiling lights and rendered in progressive mode. IBLM diffuse samples cranked up to 196 and Uberarea samles at 128. Refractive water and lots of reflective surfaces, rendertime 19 minutes.

@Parris: Can you confirm the AO strength/color depends on the greyscale of the map plugged into IBLM basecolor slot? Do I get stronger AO with a darker map?

Indoor Pool IBLM.png
    1280 x 720 - 2M
    Post edited by Sven Dullah on

...that looks really good.

• LianaLiana Posts: 1,035

wow that's great looks real. :)

Thanks kk and Liana, having so much fun with IBLMsmiley

...just wondering how you are getting such nice times using Uber Area lights.  They really slog down the render process when I use them.

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,577

Ok so after testing IBLM with some indoor scenes using 3DL and not owning any HDRIs I found out that IBLM has to have a map plugged into the base color to give AO. I played with the public indoor pool and first tried no map but it just lights everything without shadows or AO just like UE2 in ambient mode. So I made a mid grey png and popped it into the base color slot and voila it worked. Here is a test render. I used the Uberarea light shader for ceiling lights and rendered in progressive mode. IBLM diffuse samples cranked up to 196 and Uberarea samles at 128. Refractive water and lots of reflective surfaces, rendertime 19 minutes.

@Parris: Can you confirm the AO strength/color depends on the greyscale of the map plugged into IBLM basecolor slot? Do I get stronger AO with a darker map?

This looks fantastic, Sven! Thanks for sharing. Your image and comments got me thinking about a couple of indoor experiments to try in 3DL.

- Greg

edited January 2018
    kyoto kid said:

...just wondering how you are getting such nice times using Uber Area lights.  They really slog down the render process when I use them.

Well there's no transmapped hair in the scene, I guess that's the next thing to test;) Also keeping polygon count down when using emissives is crucial.

edited January 2018

This looks fantastic, Sven! Thanks for sharing. Your image and comments got me thinking about a couple of indoor experiments to try in 3DL.

- Greg

Thanks, mate! Looking forward to seeing your indoor renders:)

Ok that seems to be the case. I have a new render cooking with the pool scene and combining IBLM with Marshian's reflective light to get some caustics/color bleed. We'll see how that ends up;)

edited January 2018

Here's the pool scene with the RR3 added. Rendered in 42 min with a bit of grain. Should have given the RR3 a bit more occlusion samples but this is just a test. Probably went a little over the top with color bleed but atleast I know it's doable, and the RR3 can be used without the UE2 if used with IBLM. I suspect the same scene using UE2 instead of IBLM would have taken atleast 2h to finish.

ETA I used a darker grey map for the IBLM light, thus getting a bit more contrast.

Indoor Pool IBLM+RR3.png
    1280 x 720 - 2M

Here's the pool scene with the RR3 added. Rendered in 42 min with a bit of grain. Should have given the RR3 a bit more occlusion samples but this is just a test. Probably went a little over the top with color bleed but atleast I know it's doable, and the RR3 can be used without the UE2 if used with IBLM. I suspect the same scene using UE2 instead of IBLM would have taken atleast 2h to finish.

ETA I used a darker grey map for the IBLM light, thus getting a bit more contrast.

Superb!

Another free app outside of 2.9 GIMP builds that can paint/edit HDRI is Krita. There is a Mac version :) https://krita.org/en/download/krita-desktop/

Superb!

Another free app outside of 2.9 GIMP builds that can paint/edit HDRI is Krita. There is a Mac version :) https://krita.org/en/download/krita-desktop/

Thanks, Kettu! Will check it out!

edited January 2018

...OK ran two back to back tests.  One in the default bucket mode and the other in Progressive mode.  The default mode took 21 min 45 seconds to complete. The Progressive mode test took 44 min and 22 seconds to complete, more than twice the amount of time of the default mode.  In the progressive scene, while the artefacts on the collarbone of one girl disappeared, there were anti-aliasing issues on the brick roadway and highlight along the edge of the school bag.

All other settings, surface, light, shadow, etc were the same for both tests.

...was just messing around with shadow intensity and noticed that at 50% the ambient component  is much brighter.

Currently running a test with IBLM shadow strength at 80% Looks more like a bright summer day Also set the shadow bias for the Distant Light at 0.10 (default was 1.00) which seems to mitigate the artefact issue on the brown hared girl's collarbones a bit although it causes new ones to occur in the brick roadway.

Need ot experiment more.

kyoto kid said:

...OK ran two back to back tests.  One in the default bucket mode and the other in Progressive mode.  The default mode took 21 min 45 seconds to complete. The Progressive mode test took 44 min and 22 seconds to complete, more than twice the amount of time of the default mode.  In the progressive scene, while the artefacts on the collarbone of one girl disappeared, there were anti-aliasing issues on the brick roadway and highlight along the edge of the school bag.

All other settings, surface, light, shadow, etc were the same for both tests.

It really depends on what kind of scene you work with. If you need heavy raytracing progressive is the way to go, otherwise the default is faster. And the anti-aliasing issue is solved by increasing pixel samples in render settings pane. What is your shading rate in default mode? Have you tried plying with it to see if the artefacts go away? Or maybe try increase SubD level?

Having played with some old scenes and swapping lights for IBLM I've noticed progressive is usually faster.

edited January 2018

...shading rate in default is 0.20.  Never figured out that SubD thing. I know what it does in modelling (doubles the polygon count every time it's applied).

Experimenting with adjusting the IBLM hading strength (set that to 85%) and it seems to have helped somewhat.  As to Progressive mode, one of my purposes of moving back to 3DL is improved render times over Iray in CPU mode. I'll never be able to afford a single 1080 Ti let alone two so it means glacial render times.   The original scene withjust the AoA lights took 14 min, With IBLM version just under 22 min, still not bad.  however when it starts encroaching on an hour or more, then the advantage over UE and Iray begins to be lost.

One other odd thing I noticed,  when I turned off the photo backdrop plane and just did a test with HDR sky, it came out more green than blue.  Not sure what caused that.  In Open GL it looks fine   It's like there is some other light source causing this but the only lights I have working in teh scene are the ILBM one and the Distant light, both set at 255, 255, 255.

edited January 2018
    kyoto kid said:

...shading rate in default is 0.20.  Never figured out that SubD thing. I know what it does in modelling (doubles the polygon count every time it's applied).

Experimenting with adjusting the IBLM hading strength (set that to 85%) and it seems to have helped somewhat.  As to Progressive mode, one of my purposes of moving back to 3DL is improved render times over Iray in CPU mode. I'll never be able to afford a single 1080 Ti let alone two so it means glacial render times.   The original scene withjust the AoA lights took 14 min, With IBLM version just under 22 min, still not bad.  however when it starts encroaching on an hour or more, then the advantage over UE and Iray begins to be lost.

One other odd thing I noticed,  when I turned off the photo backdrop plane and just did a test with HDR sky, it came out more green than blue.  Not sure what caused that.  In Open GL it looks fine   It's like there is some other light source causing this but the only lights I have working in teh scene are the ILBM one and the Distant light, both set at 255, 255, 255.

Have you tried using the default HDRI and delete all other lights from your scene? Also delete the plane with the sky image and use a 3DL skydome? You can hide the IBLM env. sphere  and up the lightning intensity multiplier to 10. The attatched render used the default HDRI in progressive mode with pixel samples at 8x8, rendertime 9.5 minutes. Works so well with transmapped vegetation:) Default render mode more than doubles the rendertime for this scene.

MOUNTAIN VILLA IBLM PROGRESSIVE.png
    1800 x 1013 - 4M
    edited January 2018

...most of 3DL HDRs I have include scenery which doesn't match at all with the rest of the scene. While do have Skies of Economy (which also includes UE HDRs) I often find those to have far to much cloud cover for certian types of scenes such as this one.

The photo plane is not an issue because I turned "cast shadows" off for it in the render settings of the parameters tab so it doesn't interfere with the IBLM light (otherwise there'd be a slight shadow on the set at the far end).

When I first set out creating this scene I wanted to see how seamlessly I could combine 3D meshes with a photo backdrop.  I also set the scene up to have a number of  different elements like transparency, reflections, transmaps, etc as a challenge for it is one thing to place a character in front of a photo but a whole different situation when you have other elements with different properties to deal with. This was also the reason it became my "benchmark" scene for comparing Iray and 3DL (originally it was Lux and 3DL).  Having put as much time into it like I did, it got to the point it ended up telling a story (happens a lot with me) becoming the "last day of school" for the main character in my story (the red haired girl) and a freind of hers, so I needed it to look like a nice bright warm early June afternoon in Zagreb where she grew up.  Removing the backdrop would pretty much ruin the scene and again it isn't contributory to the troublesome matters I am running into.