Luxus discussion II

Comments

• YamanekoYamaneko Posts: 52
    edited December 1969

Thank you, Dustrider. Far from confusing matters further, your explanation was very clear. It seems to be working fine. Much appreciated!

• orcadudeorcadude Posts: 24
    edited December 1969

Quick question.
    Is there a way to set up Luxus to start LuxRender with network render nodes pre-set up?

I know you can do it with the command-line LuxRender (via the -u option), but i'm not sure where / how to pass the IPs when starting it via Luxus.

• JoepingletonJoepingleton Posts: 746
    edited December 1969

Has anyone got LUXUS for Carrara to work with SmallLuxGPU? SLG works great with Reality 2 in DAZ Studio, but I can’t seem to get it to work with Carrara.

I tried setting the renderer to “slg” and pointing it to the folder I used in Reality 2. But I get the error messgae ” Error: 14] Static loading of renderer ‘slg’ failed.”
    Am I missing something?

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Been a while since I have used Lux but since I have anew rig I am starting to use it more but I have a render going which is now at 3.33 k/sp with DOF

Sampler, Metropolis, Pixel Samples at 16, Hilbert
    Liner
    Mitchell
    Path

all other settings default

and I am wondering if the DOF should have cleaned up by now. Is this normal for this amount of render time or are there other settings I should be adjusting. I know in DS Pixels X and Y should be increased when using DOF is it the same for Lux? If so which ones do I increase? Pixel Filter x and y width?

d86A.png
    1500 x 843 - 1M
    edited December 1969

I have just read Gaussian may give better results so I will try that in the mean time.

edited December 1969

I noticed SphericLabs provide some Fresnel NK files with Luxus...Sopra and I am wondering if there is any documentation that turns the Nk files names into plain English...I can't seem to find anything in a Google search?

edited December 1969

NK ok I think after searching more I think the first letters correspond to the chemical element Al = Aluminium? Au = Gold..Fe = Iron etc etc http://www.chemicalelements.com/show/name.html

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

If those are the NK files I think they are, yes, the names are based on the element abbreviations. Note that this includes chemical compounds, and some of the weird ones indicate things like different metal alloy mixtures, and compounds with different crystalline structures. It gets complicated. :smirk:

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

SphericLabs,
    Please see your PM from me.

Kendall

• none01ohonenone01ohone Posts: 862
    edited December 1969

In Blender you can prevent the bright pixels being rendered using CLAMP. I was wondering if there's a Luxrender equivalent.

edited December 1969

Thanks SpottedKitty yeah complicated indeed.

edited December 1969

can someone help me with GPU rendering. What do I need to set it up so it works. IS my GT610 1GB not good enough for a small scene? No matter what I try it doesn't work. I have searched for two days solid on how to get this working. I have the latest 1.3.1 build which is supposed to work. Well that is the impression I got from the Lux forums. I have also ask over there but as of yet I have not got an answer.

• PulpArtstPulpArtst Posts: 88
    edited December 1969

Szark,

From what I can tell the hybrid rendering with GPU support just doesn't work very well. Check your logs and you can see what the error is. For one thing you can't have more than one light group source.

edited December 1969

Thanks JartStar Octane is becoming more appealing every time I use Lux

• PulpArtstPulpArtst Posts: 88
    edited December 1969

Szark,

LuxRender is great for the price, but the slow speed makes it frustrating at times. I'm fortunately in a position with my artwork which I don't need immediate results, but if I did I'd take a serious look at buying Octane. I've gotten competent with the Luxus material settings, especially in regards to skin settings so let me know if you need some assistance.

edited December 1969

Yeah I agree on the price and I do like Luxus. I spent a lot of time understanding the material set up of lux making sure my glossiness wasn't too high or low and after 2 days 3 k sp on a I7 quad 3770 3,4 GHZ, 8Gb ram I got this which I am still not happy with.

Sampler (As GT610 won't cut it in Hybrid mode)
    Metropolis
    Hibert
    Mitchel
    Path

I had to use the refine brush to get rid of some small fireflies

d86A.png
    1500 x 843 - 1M
  • ShayneShayne Posts: 18
    edited December 1969

i don't want to spam this thread with useless requests, but i've searched for an answer to no avail. I know that the answer will be simple and make me feel foolish, but here goes.

I am having issues loading/resuming flm files. whatever luxus needs is no longer in the place it was. i tried saving to the default folder and to other folders. I've looked for a setup file to change the default folder. Can someone point me in the direction to solve this?

I do want to mention - i'm a lux noob; progression at 1%:-/

• none01ohonenone01ohone Posts: 862
    edited August 2014

First I'd enable the Luxrender GUI and write resume in the render options. Then from the Lux gui save flm, this will probably point you to Appdata/Roaming/Daz3d/Temp with a file name like d5.flm. Now I'd copy all the 'd5' - files like the lxs scene file from the temp directory to a location like Documents/Daz3d/Luxrender FLMs and save the flm file to this location. This way the files aren't temp ones.
    Dont Stop the render just save the flm. I'm not sure about the textures that are collected, they may be in the temp directory and sometimes are in lxm material files, but I'm not sure how Luxus handles the mats.
    You can then just start up Luxrender and load and resume the flm file.
    I think that's how I did it.

Post edited by none01ohone on
  • Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

i don't want to spam this thread with useless requests, but i've searched for an answer to no avail. I know that the answer will be simple and make me feel foolish, but here goes.

I am having issues loading/resuming flm files. whatever luxus needs is no longer in the place it was. i tried saving to the default folder and to other folders. I've looked for a setup file to change the default folder. Can someone point me in the direction to solve this?

I do want to mention - i'm a lux noob; progression at 1%:-/

Always, ALWAYS render to a specific image file in the settings rather than leaving it at the defaults. The default is to render to the Daz temp directory which is deleted when you close the program, along with any renders in progress or even finished work.

Recommend you also use the Luxrender GUI if you haven't already, since once you've saved to a specific location you can then close Daz Studio and leave your render running in the background without Daz eating up the memory.

edited December 1969

thanks both! so i named it in the render to box and directed it to a folder. it saves the flm and all the mats i use are tucked away in new folder! tytyty

• patboudrumpatboudrum Posts: 33
    edited December 1969

First thing first: sorry for my bad english...

Second one: I'm sorry if this has been discuss before but I didn't want to go through 140 pages of posts (yeap, a bit of laziness on my side)

Third one... this is a "request" to SphericLabs for a future version of Luxus...

Is it possible to put the "Surface Integrator" to "Path" as default if the "Renderer" is set to "Hybrid"?!?

Because the surface integrator is always set to "Bidirectional" by default and when it's set to that you can use only one light group if you use Hybrid as the renderer (you don't have this limitation if surface integrator is set to path).

Thank you!

Patrick

ps: anyway, still learning it and it's a great plugin to have!

• evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,440
    edited December 1969

Displacement?

I'm relying on Luxus for conversions of materials, because I like the the results. But man I can not see the results of displacement mapping no matter how high I crank it up.

Am I missing something?

edited December 1969

yes displacement settings don't transfer automatically. You need to manually set it up and remember Luxux unit are in Meters and DS in CM. Also added to this unlike DS lux needs more geometry to displace so you either set Displacement Scheme to LOOP or Microdisplacement and increase Sub-D level. Try 1 and then increase to get the desired result. Oh LOOP uses less memory but at the expense of detail if I remember properly. You also need to load in the displacement maps manually...I think. Been a while since I used Luxus displacement and I can't open DS as I doing a render In Blender

edited December 1969

Displacement?

I'm relying on Luxus for conversions of materials, because I like the the results. But man I can not see the results of displacement mapping no matter how high I crank it up.

Am I missing something?

are you converting the mats to luxus mats or just leaving them as daz mats (right clicking on surface tab and opting for luxus mat type?)
    if you are using the luxus mats, then you need to drop a check in the "more mesh parameters" box. this will load the channels(?) you need for displacement. then as szark said choose loop. choose a scale, .005 is usually what i start, and start with a subd level of 1.

edited December 1969

sorry I missed that part out assuming you knew about Extra Mesh settings...thanks closet.disco.dancer for adding that. Must be a big closet. ;)

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Yeah I agree on the price and I do like Luxus. I spent a lot of time understanding the material set up of lux making sure my glossiness wasn't too high or low and after 2 days 3 k sp on a I7 quad 3770 3,4 GHZ, 8Gb ram I got this which I am still not happy with.

Sampler (As GT610 won't cut it in Hybrid mode)
    Metropolis
    Hibert
    Mitchel
    Path

I had to use the refine brush to get rid of some small fireflies

well I found out that the roughness was too high hence the fireflies and I thought I had them set about right. You can see the end results of my render engine test here http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/2765/P510/#665435 compare 3Delight, Lux and Blender Cycles.
    edited December 1969

I was trying to use Luxus for the conversions. When I set them up by hand it looks pretty awful. I think its how the displacement applies... using Raw's textures for the super suit, and none of the displacement maps lineup: each material zone uses the whole map and its just awful. I think I'll just skip the displacement.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

I was trying to use Luxus for the conversions. When I set them up by hand it looks pretty awful. I think its how the displacement applies... using Raw's textures for the super suit, and none of the displacement maps lineup: each material zone uses the whole map and its just awful.

That's just it — for displacement, and a lot of the other "extra" surfaces parameters, Luxus doesn't do any conversion at all. You have to apply any texture files, then set the value parameters, manually. It's a nuisance, and really the only thing stopping me from using Luxus on everything, instead of just experimenting whenever I have the time; it takes so long to track down and fix all the settings for every surface on each object in the scene that Luxus either ignores or sets to a default value.

I've never had that "uses the whole map" glitch, though. Very odd.

edited December 1969

I was trying to use Luxus for the conversions. When I set them up by hand it looks pretty awful. I think its how the displacement applies... using Raw's textures for the super suit, and none of the displacement maps lineup: each material zone uses the whole map and its just awful.

That's just it — for displacement, and a lot of the other "extra" surfaces parameters, Luxus doesn't do any conversion at all. You have to apply any texture files, then set the value parameters, manually. It's a nuisance, and really the only thing stopping me from using Luxus on everything, instead of just experimenting whenever I have the time; it takes so long to track down and fix all the settings for every surface on each object in the scene that Luxus either ignores or sets to a default value.

I've never had that "uses the whole map" glitch, though. Very odd.

well, I'm not exactly sure WHAT it is doing, but its certainly weird. I'm sure it has something to do with the odd mapping of the supersuit.

The thing about Luxus... it sends the displacement information even in an autoconversion. Its there. But it doesn't seem to work. I have not looked at the difference ins the luxrender file between autoconvert and straight Lux materials. Maybe the key is there. But I still like the results of Luxus' conversions of Studio materials, they come out better than my luxrender materials, and better than Reality in some cases. I think I'll post a few examples after I get home.

edited December 1969

hi all!

once again i have to tap the brain trust as i've run into a luxus/luxrender dilemna. deciding to take baby steps, i am now working on the displacement. at the link is a render where i got some weird artifacts at the shoulders.

http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/36517/

do i need to do a clicky on boundaries or increase level. its frustrating because these spots show as firefly-ish that i think will eventually clear up.

thank for your time!
    Shayne.