Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 10

Comments

• firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,456
    edited November 2017

I recently did this same upgrade and it was worth it. My renders go a lot faster. If you have the motherboard space to keep the 960 running it will be even better.

Awesome. Thanks!

Post edited by firewarden on
  • NathNath Posts: 2,721

I only let it run to 15% or so, so it doesn't really show either item at its best, but here is the render. I'm hesitating between "The New Gardener" and "Run free, little sister" as the title.

barkley 2.png
    970 x 976 - 2M
  • firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,456

Hi, Novica, PM'd you.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,164
    edited November 2017

I haven't posted many renders recently (well actually I haven't made many renders recently - too much time in the store and too little using the content) so here's one I did today.

This is Makayla from LY Glitter Sweet Girls which I picked up earlier in the PC Anniversary sale. She's wearing one of yesterday's BYOB purchases, the Regency Christmas texture for the Sensibility dress (autofit from G2F). The texture set uses the base DAZ Studio shader and I just let it render untweaked in Iray - it uses displacement and surprisingly worked fairly quickly/well. Hair is Anjou for G3F (a favourite of mine) autofitted too.

GlitterSweetMakayla-RegencyChristmas.jpg
    768 x 1024 - 716K
    Post edited by MelanieL on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited November 2017

Oh that gardener is really cute. Should look good when it's done.

FWSA Jaelyn HD (G8F)        Astrid Hair (Gen3F)        Club Dress (Gen3F)  

This is a Genesis 8 Female using Genesis 3 Hair and clothes. 

So what causes the green tint along the hairline meeting the forehead? I did brown over most of it. I did not change any of the skin settings.

jaelynGen8AstridHrGen3.png
    650 x 874 - 963K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited November 2017
    MelanieL said:

This is Makayla from LY Glitter Sweet Girls which I picked up earlier in the PC Anniversary sale. She's wearing one of yesterday's BYOB purchases, the Regency Christmas texture for the Sensibility dress (autofit from G2F).

That dress texture looks so real! The lighting really brings it out too. The skin has a perfect sheen too. Very nice job!

Post edited by Novica on

Thanks, Novica. The lighting was a slightly tweaked Painter's Lights and the skin is straight out of the box.
    Any sign of your missing cat yet? I hope you have some good news.

edited November 2017

Nope, I walked at 7:30pm and 11:30pm last night, then went outside and called at 1am. Went to the shelter this morning. Posted on a Facebook group for the county, waiting a pending membership on another Facebook group for the city, and had clear pictures of her.  This is without all the information, showing her tail being bushier and her really dark face. Her nose is black and you usually see these luminous green eyes when you look at her. Because she is black, the flier says please be sure and note the tail on the cat before you call me, there's a LOT of black cats! So this is Eevie. Pampered Princess.

flierPlain.jpg
    2448 x 2448 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on
  • jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

oh gosh, that braid hairstyle is BAD. wow.  

Novica said:

I am returning Savage Braid. The hair over the eye is hard to move to the side as it stays stiff IMOand  sticks out into an unwieldy strand when you do "windy."  Bangs Short barely works, you click the cog and undo the parameters, but then to shorten it where it does any good, you're embedding the upper part of the strands into the forehead. (As it's not meant to go beyond parameters.) And you can see what it looks like out of the box, almost totally see-through. You can twiddle with that but I'm not keeping the hair because I wouldn't use it due to the bangs section. 

So the second one has the poke through, just ignore that, wanted you to see the fish, click to enlarge- (and hair.) Headed to the shelter to check on Eevie.

• ChameoChameo Posts: 306

Don't give up, @Novica - I had a cat return after nearly two weeks missing, and we went through the same thing with our puppy a few months back. One tip that brought the puppy out of hiding was to put a blanket or something she'd been sleeping on out on the porch. It didn't "catch" her, but it was the first time in several days that anyone had seen her. Putting out positive "come home" vibes in your direction and hoping she's found somewhere to stay warm and fed in the meantime.

edited November 2017
    Chameo said:

Don't give up, @Novica - I had a cat return after nearly two weeks missing, and we went through the same thing with our puppy a few months back. One tip that brought the puppy out of hiding was to put a blanket or something she'd been sleeping on out on the porch. It didn't "catch" her, but it was the first time in several days that anyone had seen her. Putting out positive "come home" vibes in your direction and hoping she's found somewhere to stay warm and fed in the meantime.

Thanks so much! The good thing is for the past four years, she's watched Shadow get fed every night, she knows there's dry catfood out all night. I already put her crate out there the first night I realized she was gone. I also covered my two tall potted plants (like I always do) to make a tent and there's a heating pad in there/ bed, so Shadow has his bed too. I honestly think she was the cat the neighbors at the end of the street saw running into the woods. (I went in about a mile and a half.)  The houses behind those at the end of the street are at the other side of the woods,  are huge acreage with barns so she may be a barn cat, keeping warm. I'll ask those folks in the next few days.

Post edited by Novica on
    edited November 2017

Here's another of  FWSA Jaelyn HD (G8F) with Perrin Hair, which we've featured a lot already.

jaelynPerrinHair.png
    650 x 900 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on

Hmm, I lost about ten products overnight from my wishlist, but the only one I'm certain of is the Raven Headdress (I think that's the name)..

• kloolessklooless Posts: 115
    Novica said:

Nope, I walked at 7:30pm and 11:30pm last night, then went outside and called at 1am. Went to the shelter this morning. Posted on a Facebook group for the county, waiting a pending membership on another Facebook group for the city, and had clear pictures of her.  This is without all the information, showing her tail being bushier and her really dark face. Her nose is black and you usually see these luminous green eyes when you look at her. Because she is black, the flier says please be sure and note the tail on the cat before you call me, there's a LOT of black cats! So this is Eevie. Pampered Princess.

She's beautiful!  I hope she comes back to you soon.  

• genarisgenaris Posts: 313
    edited November 2017
    Nath said:

Hmm, I lost about ten products overnight from my wishlist, but the only one I'm certain of is the Raven Headdress (I think that's the name)..

Hi Nath! it's RAVEN HEADWEAR for Genesis 3 and 8 Female(s)   ... and it happens I bought that when it was a debut, but just now, looking at it in my product library listing, there is NO LINK to the product page for it at present, and when I searched for it in the store (using the proper full name from my product library), daz didn't find it.   

It's exasperating that products appear & disappear!  Just a couple of days ago I spent time searching for a product I had wishlisted a few weeks ago and couldn't find it and began to think I'd misremembered  the name, maker or even that it may have been elsewhere i saw it, until i recalled that I had saved a promo picture of it to remind me later to get it... and it WAS on daz and now it isn't.  And it was not even a particularly old product, it just came earlier this year, so it wasn't a case of being a really old creaky product that got euthanized. :)

~Gen 

Post edited by genaris on
    genaris said:

Hi Nath! it's RAVEN HEADWEAR for Genesis 3 and 8 Female(s)   ... and it happens I bought that when it was a debut, but just now, looking at it in my product library listing, there is NO LINK to the product page for it at present, and when I searched for it in the store (using the proper full name from my product library), daz didn't find it.   

It's exasperating that products appear & disappear!  Just a couple of days ago I spent time searching for a product I had wishlisted a few weeks ago and couldn't find it and began to think I'd misremembered  the name, maker or even that it may have been elsewhere i saw it, until i recalled that I had saved a promo picture of it to remind me later to get it... and it WAS on daz and now it isn't.  And it was not even a particularly old product, it just came earlier this year, so it wasn't a case of being a really old creaky product that got euthanized. :)

~Gen 

It's annoying when it happens, especially if it's something I've wishlisted. On the other hand, I'm not going through my wishlist 'hey! That is gone!', so I may overestimate how much I wanted them...

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,053
    Chameo said:

Don't give up, @Novica - I had a cat return after nearly two weeks missing, and we went through the same thing with our puppy a few months back.

My little kitty (who looked a lot like Eevie, btw) earned 1 extra month of holidays once: she had disappeared in the wooden area between the house we had rented for vacations after a few days there, and we thought we had lost her for good when we couldn't find her in the days before returning home. Fortunately the neigbours spotted her near the house a few weeks later and we managed to get her back home.

I hope Eevie will decide to come back home soon.

Thanks all. I walked at 1:30am as that's when I notice the feral cats are out, and sure enough, that other black cat (not Shadow) was at my house again. Been coming to eat for over a year. SOMETHING was out when I went to the end of the street (and curved right, no streetlights on that section) as glimmering eyes reflected back, then left. Probably a possum. Two years ago a fox passed by me when I was out walking. WE DO HAVE BEARS and four years ago one sauntered down the street at 6:30am when the kids were at the bus stop! So staying on the paved street and not venturing over to the woods. It's so quiet, she can hear me good enough! 

My internet has been going down this morning so if I seem to be ignoring you, that's not it. :) 

Have you also noticed Product Library searches are garbage now? Used to be we could type in three or four letters, or one part of the word and you'd get the good variety of results? (Like if you typed in night for a nightmare product, it would come up?)  The past month unless I type in all or almost all of the product name it isn't working worth crap.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Some wierd stuff happening with fairly recent purchases not showing up in the shop anymore.  We did figure out what happened to Allesandro's great white, he pulled it because it didn't sell well.  Which is a darn shame because its a beautiful piece of work.  For once, I am glad I grabbed it when it first came out.

edited November 2017

Okay, someone explain the logic of that to me. If it doesn't sell well, you still have a lot of time invested in it. Unless you go the option of exclusive at Daz and have to pull it to sell elsewhere?  So glad you were able to get it. Perhaps the problem is the other shark in the store, unless you're doing closeups, it will work okay.

I have the other shark. Love this one by @BudoSan  I also have this one.  Great White and Megalodon

Post edited by Novica on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited November 2017

i didn’t buy it initially. I didn’t have scuba gear for my guys to wear. The store sells mostly female scuba sets so I waited for them to go on sale so I could buy the snorkel and fins for kitbashing. I didn’t need much else from the set do I didn’t see a reason to go full price. Unfortunately now that I have the gear the shark is no longer here.

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • cismiccismic Posts: 629

The ISS "Internaltional Space Station" was in the store and gone as well. I did manage to get that before it was pulled. Bought it in the morning and it was gone by the afternoon.

Very odd. 

• Novica said:

Okay, someone explain the logic of that to me. If it doesn't sell well, you still have a lot of time invested in it. Unless you go the option of exclusive at Daz and have to pull it to sell elsewhere?  So glad you were able to get it. Perhaps the problem is the other shark in the store, unless you're doing closeups, it will work okay.

I have the other shark. Love this one by @BudoSan  I also have this one.  Great White and Megalodon

There are also these: https://www.daz3d.com/the-complete-shark-attack

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    The set removed from the store also included an underwater HDRI set which would've been useful for underwater scenes using iray.
     Sorry for the weird quotations, but the forum quote feature won't unquote or delete for me at present, so I'm stuck with quoted text.
  • LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

Well, dang. I had the AM Shark and the Raven Headdress wishlisted as well! 

The Raven Hair just came out a week or so ago didnt it?

October 31 (if you mean the Raven Headwear)

edited November 2017

Today I had my first chance to install and use a few more things I picked up during the PC Anniversary sale.

This is the Saree outfit with one of Moyra's pretty Madhubala textures. For the wearer I thought I'd try using Laverne from the Monique 8 bundle because her skin is quite light - I also like the fact there are some subtle makeup options like this eye-liner only setting. Actually I modified the character a little to fit better with my Indian outift (reduced the dials and used a few morphs on the mouth). I found a problem with the Saree set in that the whole outfit load names the wrong .dsf from the data folder for thenecklace, so it loads as the dreaded grey blocks. The individual accessory load for the necklace is correct though. There are lots of morphs on the various pieces to drape and move them around. I plan to try dForce draping at some stage, but I have not tried it yet so I can't say whether it will work on this set.

ETA: I forgot to mention the hair - it's Dolly Changeable Hair (I only have the G3F version so it's autofitted) with the loose hair from the front and neck and also the ponytail removed and the braid from the Dolly Changeable Hair Expansion added.

She's standing in the Crescent Cove set (another old favourite of mine) with some additional lights.

Laverne-Saree-CrescentCove.jpg
    768 x 1024 - 660K
    Laverne-Saree-CrescentCove-Closeup.jpg
    768 x 1024 - 659K
    Post edited by MelanieL on
    MelanieL said:

Okay so three weeks ago.  Some of the stuff in my library has disappeared recently as well.  Not just the shark but a lovely set of earrings.  The Dainty Earrings - I used them the other day and was going to link them to the shop and they are gone.  Its beginning to be a bit disturbing, I don't ever remember so many things going missing all at once, and such a big variety too.  There are 6 or 7 items in my wishlist gone as well, and I have no idea what they were, I get a black box with a little red minus sign next to it but I can't even delete them. 

MelanieL said:

Okay so three weeks ago.  Some of the stuff in my library has disappeared recently as well.  Not just the shark but a lovely set of earrings.  The Dainty Earrings - I used them the other day and was going to link them to the shop and they are gone.  Its beginning to be a bit disturbing, I don't ever remember so many things going missing all at once, and such a big variety too.  There are 6 or 7 items in my wishlist gone as well, and I have no idea what they were, I get a black box with a little red minus sign next to it but I can't even delete them.

Is that stuff missing from your Product Library here at DAZ? I thought once something was bought it stayed in there forever, even if the item was removed from the store. That's rather worrying!

This discussion has been closed.