Import STL objects in Daz Studio Ascii and Binary

mCasualmCasual Posts: 4,604
edited November 2017 in Freebies

Here is the ASCII/Binary STL Importer !!!

https://sites.google.com/site/mcasualsdazscripts8/mcjimportstl

================================================================================

The Old ASCII-Only version is here, but you dont want it, no really you dont, ok maybe you do, for science

https://sites.google.com/site/mcasualsdazscripts8/mcjimportsimpleasciistl

================================================================================

Introduction

This script will only import STL files whether in Binary or in ASCII/text format

the script generates a spherical UV map for the object

sofa model from thingverse

1:24 Sofa Scan
by PrettySmallThings, published Jul 18, 2012

logostlimport.jpg
836 x 836 - 127K
smondabeech.jpg
888 x 674 - 69K
Post edited by mCasual on

Comments

• mCasualmCasual Posts: 4,604
    edited November 2017

this one is from

https://grabcad.com/library/golden-bridge-ring-2

i converted it to ascii STL using Blender

mcjimportsimpleasciistl took maybe a minute or less to convert it to .obj, there's 300 000 facets

i will see if there's material statements so the jewel could be a different material from the ring

.... nope doesnt seem to be material statements in the blender-exported stl

piggyz.jpg
    800 x 800 - 521K
    edited November 2017

yes there will be an STL-binary compatible version of the importer !

just have to fix UV spherical frontier issues

This monkey was exported from blender as a binary STL then imported in Daz Studio

yessss.jpg
    800 x 800 - 414K
    edited November 2017

Later this evening Ascii-STL and Binary STL importer for Daz Studio PC/Mac since it's a script

the spool holder was an ascii STL from thingverse

Eiffel Tower Spool Holder by apalexander,

the monkey head was a Binary STL from Blender

the importer creates a spherical-projection UV map, there's problems at the poles but i dont want to engage in battle with that quirk so it stays like that! :)

i will add a centering feature which may help obtain better UV maps at the cost of having to read the STL twice

----------

3D scanned by PrettySmallThings at thingverse

1:24 Sofa Scan
    by PrettySmallThings, published Jul 18, 2012

yahoo.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 265K
    ondabeech.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 186K
    Post edited by Chohole on
    edited November 2017

minutes from now !

here you see the result of specifying an offset (y) for the center of projection of the spherical UV map 

interested? the idea is, if the object stands on the floor ( y = 0 ) and the center of

projection is 0,0,0 then you get a dome-projection UV map and if there's a floor at y=0, it's UV mapping will be unusable

so you would move the center above the floor

Yoff.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 357K
    edited November 2017
  • SkelchSkelch Posts: 275

Thank you so much... you come up with the coolest ideas.

• SlimerJSpudSlimerJSpud Posts: 1,453

Works great! smiley Thanks! I've been working on a 3D model of an engine part I need to have made. I made one model in Blender (much language was used), but it wouldn't render in DS properly. Same happened in Hexagon. The STL looks OK from either tool, but the obj files from those tools had points connected that were not connected. Running the STL through your script produced an obj that actually renders. Now to find a machinist that can make it. Yes, such parts can be 3D printed in metal, but the cost is so high, I was advised to have it done by traditional machining. So much for progress...

Attached is the goofy obj, and the clean one.

cap-02.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 739K
    cap-03.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 752K

maybe it will help the machinist, though the CNCs must need lists of tools and parameters like bore depth

unrelated image for no good reason ( other than it's a good lookin machine )

Works great! smiley Thanks! I've been working on a 3D model of an engine part I need to have made. I made one model in Blender (much language was used), but it wouldn't render in DS properly. Same happened in Hexagon. The STL looks OK from either tool, but the obj files from those tools had points connected that were not connected. Running the STL through your script produced an obj that actually renders. Now to find a machinist that can make it. Yes, such parts can be 3D printed in metal, but the cost is so high, I was advised to have it done by traditional machining. So much for progress...

• Great, now I don't have to convert with a 3rd party utility. Thanks again! :D

• SlimerJSpudSlimerJSpud Posts: 1,453
    mCasual said:

maybe it will help the machinist, though the CNCs must need lists of tools and parameters like bore depth

unrelated image for no good reason ( other than it's a good lookin machine )

I did have a plastic version 3D printed to test the fit. The plastic part did uncover some issues with the model, hence the need to do it again, where I decided to use Hexagon. Initially, I thought it would be nice to try a 3D printed metal part, but then I found out about the cost. A friend of mine says he can make the CNC program once I'm happy with the model. The whole reason for the model is actually to redesign the original to make it stronger. Here's why:

20170730_210739.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    edited November 2017

i bet some people must make cast-iron molds from plastic 3d-prints

but for 1 piece the cnc/machinist way must be the best

someday i want to let Daz Studio control cnc/3d printers 

that script +.exe is to read arduino inputs but there exists a standard to "talk" to those I/O devices

https://sites.google.com/site/mcasualsdazscripts7/mcjcomkit

to simulate/animate articulated machines there's my script here

https://sites.google.com/site/mcasualsdazscripts5/mcjmechanim

also on my site there's a dozen or 2 morphing mechanical props

mCasual said:

itsfriday_for_real_amy_stirling_engineer_by_mcasual-d9adel5.jpg
    1191 x 670 - 139K
  • OMG  a Stirling engine, those things are great and the animation that was done does them justice,, good on you.