The Wonderful Dynamic Puzzle of 3D (or, What's my Work Flow)

12346»

Comments

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,258

Here's a presentation from the Blender 2016 conference that covers workflow concepts that fit any tool environment, i.e. DAZ.... Successfully Developing Artwork

edited November 2016

Redundant Post, the first didn't originally show up on my end...

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
    edited November 2016

Another video from the Blender 2016 conference where Gleb Alexanderov explains how to Cheat Like an Artist (or his title, Realistic Lighting Hacks.)

A side note on this, he touches on PBR and I agree with his take (watch to see.) Now I am all for PBR shaders and lighting but not because they are 'more realistic' as is often quoted but rather because they give a stable base to work from. That is, we can take a PBR shader/lighting setup and change out the lights or shaders with predictable results. Before PBR, we often had to totally change all or many of our shaders when we changed the lighting in a scene which made no sense. With PBR shaders, when we change the lighting, we get predictable results which should allow us to relight without having to totally redo all of the shaders. The thing is, this doesn't mean we should slavishly hold ourselves to this. PBR is a tool in our toolbox for achieving a result. In the end, it is the result and not the tool that matters. The art often comes in tweaking after we get a base to work from. The examples I've given earlier were about getting a base to work from, they were never meant to be art. My example on the newer render engines vs the older ones (the first of the more current posts) was again about increasing our base. Gleb's presentation is about how to start to bridge the gap between that base and a piece of art.

Workflows are adapting to accomodate a wider variety of applications as we move forward and 3D visualisation encompases a wider set of society and uses. This presentation: Point Density Texture goes Boom (Blender Conference 2016) where an astrophysicist Dr Kevin Healy explains his workflow and things he learned is a great example of that.

Kelvin from Black Suns Comics has put up an interesting series where he outlines his workflow in creating his web comics using DAZ Studio and Photoshop. Take a moment to check out his series here.  He also has a series on character creation where he goes over among other things using GenX in a clear and concise way. He also explains some of his workflow in character creation for his web comics.

edited November 2016

I took a look at the thread on Show us your IRay Renders and it is great. Last time I looked at it it was just getting started and was more focused around basic renders people did but now it goes much more into workflows and tips (and has for a while it looks like.) So, my first post back where I was talking about IRay was a bit dated it ends up. I will make sure I take time to review some of the other threads so that going forward hopefully I will only post if there is something that isn't covered in the other threads and wouldn't necessarily tie into them as much. I'm glad people are posting more of their workflows in creating their scenes now. :)

Hopefully if/when I post here again re: workflows it will be something that stands out as worth the time to look at (Like the previous post where Kelvin goes over his workflow in web comic creation.)

Meanwhile, off to catch up on some of the other threads. Peace.