OT: 64 Core Xeon Phi yes it is real..

Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,987
edited November 2017 in The Commons

Just when you thought that shiny new AMD 18 Core Threadripper CPU or Intels own 16 Core CPU would be the bees knees.. Along comes Intel with the 64 Core 256 Thread Xeon Phi, now you go oh sweet this would be very cool to have imagine all that power..

Well here is the rub it is not that great for Joe Public as the CPU runs at 1.3 to 1.5 Ghz so it is slow and well it is really meant for use in Super Computers.. But the main thing from this is that Intel do have the tech for massive core count CPUs, wether we will see even higher core count consumer CPUs than what is out there on the market will be interesting indeed.. One last thing when they were testing it they had to get a server version of Windows just to see the cores..

Post edited by Ghosty12 on

Comments

• so in Carrara  for example I would get 132 dreadfully slow moving render tiles?

• nice eyeshadow on the geek btw yes

good thing he left his lips natural or would just look tarty

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,629
    edited November 2017
    ...and it will be very pricey too. AMDs Epyc 32 core CPU goes for around 4,000$ and they undercut Intel's pricing. Also Epyc is only compatible with Unix/Linux so unless you are building a render box for Carrera or work in Maya or Blender not worth the cost.
    Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,987
    edited November 2017
    kyoto kid said:
    ...and it will be very pricey too. AMDs Epyc 32 core CPU goes for around 4,000$ and they undercut Intel's pricing. Also Epyc is only compatible with Unix/Linux so unless you are building a render box for Carrera or work in Maya or Blender not worth the cost.

According to the video the CPU goes for about $1900 US which for what it is, is cheapish the thing is that unlike the Epyc which ranges from 2 Ghz to 3.2 Ghz.. The Phi only runs between 1.3 to 1.5 Ghz so there is a big difference there..

th3Digit said:

nice eyeshadow on the geek btw yes

good thing he left his lips natural or would just look tarty

Lol never even noticed till you pointed it out..

th3Digit said:

so in Carrara  for example I would get 132 dreadfully slow moving render tiles?

Yeah would not be worth it, as they found with Blender it was painfully slow..

Post edited by Ghosty12 on
    ...that's a first to me. Even sub 2.0 GHz multi core xeons sell for 2 to 3 times the price of a Threadripper 1950X. Still the Phi is pretty useless for our needs as it requires Windows Server Edition which is far more expensive than any of us can afford.
  • drzapdrzap Posts: 795
    edited November 2017

"According to the video the CPU goes for about $1900 US which for what it is, is cheapish the thing is that unlike the Epyc which ranges from 2 Ghz to 3.2 Ghz.. The Phi only runs between 1.3 to 1.5 Ghz so there is a big difference there.."  

Actually, at twice the cores and 4 times the threads (super-hyperthreading?), it comes out quite a bit faster for cpu rendering.  And it's cheap enough to be able to put two in a box and have even more bang for the buck.

*just checked out the video.... never mindfrown

Post edited by drzap on
    ...but as mentioned in the OP you need Windows Server Edition to support all the cores. Also how many commercial programmes will support 256 CPU threads? Carrara tops out at 100. That can almost be achieved with dual 24 core Xeons (96 total threads).
  • drzapdrzap Posts: 795
    kyoto kid said:
    ...but as mentioned in the OP you need Windows Server Edition to support all the cores. Also how many commercial programmes will support 256 CPU threads? Carrara tops out at 100. That can almost be achieved with dual 24 core Xeons (96 total threads).

errr.... I wasn't talking about Carrara.  All production cpu renderers take as many cores as you can throw at it.  Who would be running Cararra on this monster?

• drzap said:
    kyoto kid said:

errr.... I wasn't talking about Carrara.  All production cpu renderers take as many cores as you can throw at it.  Who would be running Cararra on this monster?

me obviously cheeky

if it were more GHz

DAZ studio would have a similar result but you do not see render tiles 

• Phi CPUs aren't the same as regular CPUs. They're pretty much useless for anything right now. They're slower than normal CPUs because they're meant for parallel tasks, but GPUs are much faster. So yeah...

If you want to do CPU rendering, maybe there's a way to make that work. But you wouldn't be able to really use it for anything else.

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,987

Phi CPUs aren't the same as regular CPUs. They're pretty much useless for anything right now. They're slower than normal CPUs because they're meant for parallel tasks, but GPUs are much faster. So yeah...

If you want to do CPU rendering, maybe there's a way to make that work. But you wouldn't be able to really use it for anything else.

Pretty much, just more of a case of how soon will we see multi cores become even more mainstream (higher than 6 or 8) as the tech is there.. Can you imagine the power there would be with a 64 Core 256 Thread 3 Ghz+ CPU.. We can only dream at this point in time..

...I can imagine the price if a 16 core 3.0GHz i9 is nearly 2,000$.
    th3Digit said:
    drzap said:
    kyoto kid said:

me obviously cheeky

if it were more GHz

DAZ studio would have a similar result but you do not see render tiles 

...+1.