Using Jack Tomalin's Prepper with Blender

SolnoidSolnoid Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in The Commons

So, since there is literally no information about how to take an OBJ mesh from Blender to Poser/DS unless it is a conforming clothing item, I thought I'd post a few things I have learned in the past few days.

For awhile now, ever since I started Blendering, I though it would be neat to create architectural models to import to DS (I have Poser 7, but I started with DS, so that's my target). Now, I quickly learned that DS has little to no issue with importing OBJs from other sources. However, these are static props. I wondered if it was possible to easily create a CR2 for any OBJ exported from Blender. Needless to say, I found virtually nothing (I know, there are tutorials on making clothing for V4, M4, or Genesis, but I was looking for things like architecture or tanks or whatever). Oh, I found a few things about exporting the OBJ and using PHI builder to import it to Poser, but reading Jack's (excellent) PDF about creating CR2's was my only source of information dealing with what I wanted to do.

So, I contacted Jack with a few questions, which he graceously answered. The most important answer was to get Prepper. Now, I had been under the impression that Prepper just cleaned up the CR2 process somewhat, but it still required an in depth knowledge of the CR2 format to work. (That's not the case, as I'm sure many here have found out. It takes an OBJ and creates a CR2 from the groups within it.) Well, I went ahead and got it. I quickly ran up a simple model (large cube turned into an "apartment" with 2 floors, a set of steps, and a patio area, with a window wall and window supports), exported it, and then put the OBJ and MTL files into a geometries folder. I ran prepper, gave it a location under libraries, and Voila! I had a CR2.

All seemed to be great, but when I went to import it into DS, it loaded and appeared to be invisible!

I looked on the surfaces tab, no materials (I set something like 10 materials including different materials for floors, ceilings, and one for each wall).

I loaded it into Poser 7, and there were materials, but no geometry. No wireframe in Poser or DS. Something was definitely wrong (duh).

It took a few hours of poking at it, but it turns out that setting groups in Blender does no good if you export it wrong. It turns out that, during the export of a Wavefront OBJ, the default setting for export specifies that it will be exported with objects saved as OBJ objects. This little toggle is the problem. If it is unchecked, and the one below it (objects saved as OBJ groups) is checked, then the OBJ is exported with groups. However, the groups are NOT Blender groups! They will be exported assigned to each individual mesh in the scene.

Here's an example.

A cube is resting on a plane. If the Cube and the Plane are separate objects within Blender, then when they are exported, they are assigned to Cube and Plane for the groups. If the Cube and Plane are joined together as a single object within Blender (easily done by adding the plane to the cube while in Edit mode or selecting both and selecting Join), then the OBJ will have a group called Cube, but not one called Plane.

Additionally, the only difference within the OBJ file between one exported with groups and one with objects is a single letter. Each line that WOULD be a group will start with a "g", and, if exported as objects, that line will start with an "o".

Hopefully, if someone reading this is in a similar situation, this set of lessons learned will help reduce frustration.

---Sarge

Comments

• ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776
    edited April 2013

(PoserPro user but Studio should give you an identical workflow)
    What I do:
    Export Geometry from Blender as you described
    Import the geometry from Blender into Poser, check scale, relative positions and mat zones as needed
    export Geometry from Poser to a new blank folder as .obj files, mtl files for this geometry are created automatically
    run Prepper on that folder

Post edited by ps1borg on
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

nice info thanks...I never used Blender groups so I never came across this before but it is sure nice to know.

• Daz Jack TomalinDaz Jack Tomalin Posts: 13,163
    edited December 1969

Thanks for sharing!

(I haven't had the chance to reply to your last email, but don't worry it's on the to-do list)

• SolnoidSolnoid Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

See, this is why I posted this. I feel the community is the best place to get information when you don't know what to do.

I'll be honest, I feel that there is a definite dearth or information that beginners can get with respect to content creation for Poser/DS. Creating CR2s seems to be a relatively esoteric process. Has anyone, anywhere created a repository of knowledge on how to properly create all forms of Poser/DS content? I.e., has anyone collected tutorials, workflows, and walkthroughs for creation of poses, textures, UV Mapping, CR2 creation, PP2 creation, HR2 creation, etc?

I've found bits an pieces here and there, such as Jack's documents on converting OBJs to CR2s or his UV mapping part I manual, and I've found tons of tutorials for modeling. But most tutorials I have found either are specific to the modeling program being used (i.e., BlenderCookie) with no focus on exporting for use in other programs, or the assumption is that this is already known or should be.

Since I'm working on building up skill in modeling and creation of Poser/DS content, maybe I should take the time to put together a series of documents detailing how I go about creating things from start to finish. Something for the absolute beginner.

I'm off my platform, now.

And, thanks for the tips.

---Sarge

edited December 1969

Ok, I think I've decided something. I'm going to create a blog that details my attempts to create objects within Blender for the express purpose of exporting for setup within Daz Studio and Poser. Of course, since I work during the week (and have two awesome little girls to pay attention to), it will be slow going.

I've set the Blog up at Blender to Daz Studio/Poser. Anyone who wants can wander over there if you feel like following my learning experience.

---Sarge

• Daz Jack TomalinDaz Jack Tomalin Posts: 13,163
    edited December 1969

Sounds good.. good luck with it :)

• 3WC3WC Posts: 1,097
    edited December 1969

Solnoid said:
    ...the default setting for export specifies that it will be exported with objects saved as OBJ objects. This little toggle is the problem. If it is unchecked, and the one below it (objects saved as OBJ groups) is checked, then the OBJ is exported with groups. However, the groups are NOT Blender groups! They will be exported assigned to each individual mesh in the scene.

The polygroups option usually works for me. See screenshot below of my export settings.

I feel your pain, it seems like I've spent years gradually learning this stuff, and am just now getting the hang of it.

Untitled.png
    248 x 517 - 29K
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,940
    edited April 2013

Solnoid said:
    Ok, I think I've decided something. I'm going to create a blog that details my attempts to create objects within Blender for the express purpose of exporting for setup within Daz Studio and Poser. Of course, since I work during the week (and have two awesome little girls to pay attention to), it will be slow going.

I've set the Blog up at Blender to Daz Studio/Poser. Anyone who wants can wander over there if you feel like following my learning experience.

---Sarge

Great idea. I also need to start creating my own assets for exporting them to Unity game engine,
    because the ready made 3D models are quite expensive if one need a royalty free licence for the game usage.
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited December 1969

wwes said:

The polygroups option usually works for me. See screenshot below of my export settings.

I feel your pain, it seems like I've spent years gradually learning this stuff, and am just now getting the hang of it.

Hey, thanks! That's a big help.

Blender has no real documentation for people who are wanting to use it for creating content for other programs, so having input from others is always great.

---Sarge

edited December 1969

Artini said:

Great idea. I also need to start creating my own assets for exporting them to Unity game engine,
    because the ready made 3D models are quite expensive if one need a royalty free licence for the game usage.

I don't know much about Unity. I don't have any plans to head in that direction, but if I get far enough along, I may explore content creation within Blender for exporting to Unity. I believe there are already a large number of tutorials for doing just that (I know for a fact that Blender Cookie has at least one tutorial for it, and the CGCookie network has a whole section devoted to Unity).

I don't have the time right now to really branch out in that direction, but I certainly encourage you to work towards that goal, and maybe drop some tips if you learn something new.

---Sarge

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,940
    edited December 1969

Creating the items for Daz Studio or Poser is just fine for my needs.
    I have bought iClone and 3DExchange pipeline, so my workflow is to get the items work properly in Daz Studio or Poser,
    then export them as FBX, and eventually rig in 3DExchange. It is very easy. It is a pity that the Genesis game developer
    licence is so expensive, so as a hobbyist, I could not afford it right now.
    I have tested rigging Genesis in 3DExchange pipeline and sent it to Unity, and have surprised how easy and fast is to do it.
    Well at least I have some rigged models and animations in iClone, that I am allow to use in the games,
    because of the content licence included with the 3DExchange pipeline.

• RoLoWRoLoW Posts: 341
    edited December 1969

Someone may find this free tutorial useful when going from OBJ to PP2 for Daz Studio and Poser:

http://www.sharecg.com/v/55953/

objpp2tut.jpg
    600 x 600 - 30K