Luxus rendering for C 8.5Pro

Okay Guys Enjoying C8.5Pro. I am finally able to use stuff I bought ages ago. I bought Luxus for Carrara awhile ago and just loaded it up. I go to the render room, select Luxus as my renderer, a cool window pops up and the render starts. Only problem is NOTHING actually renders. I get a yellow background with a bunch of ones on it. That's ALL. No matter how long I let it render, that's all I get. How do YOU render with Luxus? Is anyone else getting this result? I'm running Windows 7, C8.5 Pro Thanks

Comments

• Not sure if this will help or not.  But sounds like a similar issue.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/766771/#Comment_766771

• tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606
    Thanks Brain It seems like the same issue, but they never really answered his question and the asker just stumbled away because he was in the "wrong" forum.
  • I think the issue was that he was using a Luxus plugin that did not have Luxus installed, rather than than the plugin which did have it installed.

The question asked was, "Are you trying the new LuxusCore plugin that does not need Luxrender, or are you still using the old Luxus plugin that you bought at DAZ3D.com?"

When he realized that he was using the wrong one, he realized his error.  So, they actually did answer his question.

I think the issue was that he was using a Luxus plugin that did not have Luxus installed, rather than than the plugin which did have it installed.

The question asked was, "Are you trying the new LuxusCore plugin that does not need Luxrender, or are you still using the old Luxus plugin that you bought at DAZ3D.com?"

When he realized that he was using the wrong one, he realized his error.  So, they actually did answer his question.

Now, I'm confused. I bought Luxus for Carrara. Then I went and downloaded Luxrender from here... http://www.luxrender.net/en_GB/download LuxCore is a completely different thing, as is discussed earlier in that thread. Luxcore is not unbiased. I'm trying to figure out how to make it work, as somewhere else in that thread, it is stated that Luxrender is not made obsolete.
    Is anyone using Luxus for Carrara? https://www.daz3d.com/luxus-for-carrara . http://www.luxrender.net/en_GB/index I have not been able to make it work and have been messing about with it off and on for a month!
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited November 2017

It sounds like you have what is needed, but I have never used Luxus.  Is Carrara finding the Luxus engine?

Saturday and Sunday are usually pretty slow around here.  I'm sure that a Luxus user will get back to you soon.

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
    edited November 2017
    Thanks Brain & rk66.. . . . . I already have that instruction manual and it is absolutely useless. It doesn't address my problem at all.. . Hopefully someone else has had this problem and found a way to solve it..
    Post edited by tsarist on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,223

There's a lot in here to sift through, but here's the main thread that I know of.

Sorry for the delay... I don't get to my computer (yet) that much right now. Trying to work it out though.

So when I downloaded my Luxrender (do NOT confuse with LuxCore or Luxrender 2 - that's different!) I simply unzipped it into my Carrara 8.5 installation folder (I use Windows), and that's where it sits. LuxRender_64_OpenCL

I don't think that matters, but we do ned to tell Carrara where it is.

I'll fire up Luxus for Carrara now and see if I can help more. But that thread above (as exhausting as it is) has a lot of various problems, eventual answers, and so on.

Cheers tsarist! Great seeing you again!

Okay, got it.

When we launch "Render" with Luxrender via Luxus for Carrara, the render room renders a yellow window and even shows that it's done to 100%

By that time, "Luxrender" should fire up and start loading the scene to render. It's really cool, the options we get with this - though I admit that I have not played with it enough.

Please note that Luxus adds several lights to use as well as shader functions - namely the top layer. Now this is another subject altogether that I'm still not savvy on. I remember making some progress, and that PhilW sells a kit to help get us started that includes some shaders, volumes, and such. I think I'm going to go ahead and get that. PhilW does homework well and I think that looking at his shaders and sample scene(?) will give a lot of progress toward using this amazing tool.

I love that we can export OpenEXR. That's eventually my aim with this.

LuxusCore for Carrara seems to be in a fairly perpetual (at the time) state of beta, as the beta version is no longer time-sensitive. It's cool too. But I want to get this one going.

Okay, so anyway:

One you have the appropriate Luxrender downloaded (64 bit if using 64 bit, etc.,) then just decompress it into a folder somewhere. When I first set the rneder room to Luxrender via Luxus for Carrara, it prompted me to locate that folder. Once you get that folder selected, that's it. Hit okay. Don't open the folder first.

I think there's even a way to target Luxrender within the File menu in the assemble room - or is that just LuxCore? I don't recall. Sorry. This laptop won't run Carrara and the internet at the same time :(

Let me know if you get this working ;)

Hey Dartanbeck!

Thanks for that info.

I'm going to go through it.

I have been getting slammed by life, so this is my 1st time back to the forums in awhile.

I'll keep you posted on my improvement!

Sweet! I confess that I haven't tried Luxus since that last comment... too busy here too. But I really want to push further and try more things.

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited November 2017

Don't know how I missed this thread earlier. I did have this same issue with the yellow 1's and did manage to eventually fix it but I don't remember how. If Dart's notes above don't fix it for you then I'll have some time this weekend to take a look at how mine is set up.

I almost never use Luxus even though I really like the results - I'm just not patient enough for an unbiased renderer, which is why I don't really use Iray much either. Maybe I should go back and play with it some more though now that I've been using Blender Cycles the past year or so and am more familiar with how to light an unbiased scene.

I second the recommendation of @PhilW's Luxus for Carrra Resource Pack that Dart mentions above too (https://www.daz3d.com/luxus-for-carrara-resource-pack). The materials are great starting points, especially the volumetric materials, glass with dispersion material and emission materials. I learned quite a bit just looking at them and changing a few settings to see what happened.

Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on

Right. The yellow render window is just what happens in Carrara's native engine when we send the render to Luxrender via the Luxus for Carrara plugin. The next thing to happen is that Luxrender launches and starts rendering. If Luxrender never launches, there's a very simple-to-correct issue going on:

1. Don't over-think a Luxrender installation. As instructed, just extract to a good location on the hard drive
    2. Make sure to set this location within the Luxus for Carrara plugin

That's it.

There's still a lot to learn about getting joyous results from it, like setting the shaders just right, but that goes for anything. 

MDO2010 said:

I second the recommendation of @PhilW's Luxus for Carrra Resource Pack that Dart mentions above too (https://www.daz3d.com/luxus-for-carrara-resource-pack). The materials are great starting points, especially the volumetric materials, glass with dispersion material and emission materials. I learned quite a bit just looking at them and changing a few settings to see what happened.

Yeah... I wanna get that! ;)

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945

Q: What are the differences between Luxus and Octane when one look at the prices of both?

DUDU said:

Q: What are the differences between Luxus and Octane when one look at the prices of both?

I'm not really qualified to answer.

The new LuxCore (Luxrender 2) which I believe is still in beta, is a lot more like Octane than Luxrender 1.

LuxusCore for Carrara, which is in beta, has the interactive live render window available. I think Octane via the Carrara plugin does too. Luxus for Carrara (using Luxrender 1) doesn't have that.

Luxus for Carrara - the one we're talking about here - allows us to render to 32 bit float via OpenEXR, which can be incredibly beneficial. 

Anyway... aside from the plugin, Luxrender is free. Luxus for Carrara is inexpensive as well. Totally different can-o-worms than Octane though.

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited November 2017

It seems that we must wait the Luxrender2...and a new version of the plugin for Carrara.

I'm just curious, not really interrested (for the moment).

Thanks for the answer!

Post edited by DUDU on

I was actually hoping that someone who truly knew would step in and state something more real. Perhaps someone still will.

But for you and I, DUDU, being into animation kinda makes us used to not seeing full rendered states as we work our magic. It's never really bothered me - I actually even work in gouraud shading mode most of the time anyway. So I've never been in a hurry for a different engine. I love the native one.

However, for using VFX software in post, we can often use 32 bit float information to our advantage. So rendering a single OpenEXR still image effect via Luxus for Carrara (Luxrender 1) is still very cool. I actually bought it to support Spheric Labs for making it but found that it's really kinda cool. It has tone mapping options and everything!

Yeah, just wanted to pop in and do a render to show a SS of the Luxrender 1 during a render, but this craptop laptop just doesn't do this stuff.

But it (Luxrender 1) is really cool for folks wanting to use real world photography settings in their shots too. It has all of the lens and exposure settings, even film types and such, but also can add in real world lens imperfections, like vignetting, chromatic aberration, etc., etc., along with a slew of other rendering benefits.

It does, of course, require a beefier computer that my junk laptop, whereas if I don't mind waiting a bit, Carrara's engine runs fairly well - but... well... this laptop sucks for Carrara

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

whatever happened to the Luxcore?

be interesting to see what mystic gorge would look like in luxus.  or like the old english village set

• GreymomGreymom Posts: 1,104
    Mistara said:

whatever happened to the Luxcore?

be interesting to see what mystic gorge would look like in luxus.  or like the old english village set

I have not checked in a while, and am wondering the same thing.