Blender to DAZ Studio: What's the best way to deal with SubSurf?

I'm using Blender to make a model for DS. For an item that is supposed to appear smooth, I've learned by testing that I can either apply a SubSurf modifier in Blender or in DS. Either method appears to to work just fine. Should one way be preferred over the other? Is it possible that converting to subdivision surface in DS saves memory in some way over applying in Blender (and thus making it part of the model's base geometry)?

Comments

• I suspect that you are baking the divisions from the Blender modifier when you export, while the DS SubD is applied live - that makes the DS approach less resource intensive (though f you render in Iray the net result will be much the same at that point). If it's posable applying SubD in DS also means you don't have to worry about weighting the full number of vertices, just the base cage, and subD is applied after posing (or morphing) which may well give superior results.

• InkuboInkubo Posts: 744

Sounds like you're saying "wait until after loading into DS." Let me know if I got it wrong, but otherwise, thank you for the answer. Sounds like good advice.

• Yes, for most purposes I would wait until loading into DS.

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,481

Subdivision also makes the polygons always planar, so to avoid rendering artifacts. So if you have to pose and/or animate the character there's really no choice. You have to subdivide after. That is, apply subd in DS, not in Blender.

• InkuboInkubo Posts: 744

Thank you both!