What eyeshadow shades am I missing?

I am working on a simple eyeliner and shadow set, and I want to see if through masks and automation I can give it an absolutely unreasonable number of shades. If I start out with every color I would ever want to add, I should be able to extend the set to anything I make in the future through the magic of Notepad++.

I've been staring at blocks of color too long to think anymore, so I put it to you now: What must-have eyeshadow shade is not here? (There is always another one.)

neutral.png
674 x 732 - 34K
standard.png
674 x 1220 - 45K
strong.png
674 x 1220 - 46K
vivid.png
674 x 1098 - 44K

Comments

• I recommend you look at some makeup brand sites and look at the eyeshadows they sell for colors. 

• j cadej cade Posts: 2,310

Maybe more nudes/nude adjacent? Theres so many shades of brownish pink, brownish orange, brownish red... brownish brown

I'd also probably recommend going to a website like Sephora and staring in horror at how many shades of stuff there is... and how expensive it all is :(

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,144

I use JCPicker for sampling colors of real things all the time. Most useful little program I have in my arsenal ;).

Laurie

• It's not just about having access to lots of colours you need to think about trends too. You could have a green in there, but it could not be on trend. I say this because Daz is very dated when it comes to actual fashion forward hair and makeup.

Rihanna just launched this palette, it's a shimmer palette that is very popular with a galatic theme;

Rihanna Fenty Beauty Palette

Here's also a very popular palette bu Huda Beauty;

Huda Beauty Palette - Rose Gold

It's also not always about the colour but also the finish and style, it's become very popular to darken the socket and apply shimmer to the inner eye.

Anyways, hope that helps!

• Browns it is then. laugh

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    edited October 2017

MAC is a good place to get color palette inspiration. :)

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513
    edited October 2017
    Karuki said:

It's not just about having access to lots of colours you need to think about trends too. You could have a green in there, but it could not be on trend. I say this because Daz is very dated when it comes to actual fashion forward hair and makeup.

I don't know what colors are on trend right now. The last I know of is greige, really vivid chromatic colors, and the rose gold thing, which honest to god, I can't figure out what rose gold is in makeup. Something like a brown undertone with a bluer flash but it's all over the place. :\

Does this mean you'd prefer to see coordinated palettes over shades of specific colors?

MAC is a good place to get color palette inspiration. :)

This is good, thanks. I don't think I have ever looked at their stuff.

Post edited by agent unawares on
  • jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

LIE make-up mask.

Layer = Any color or texture block

Mask = eyeshadow area white fading to black everywhere else

Base Layer = Diffuse texture

• I guess it's hard to visualize since eyeshadow comes in an infinite number shades. I can't even tell you just how many different purple, plum, lilac, etc., shadows I have.  How will it handle nudes, beiges, taupes, etc. in the idea of something like what the Urban Decay Naked palettes offer?

Ulta Beauty Eyeshadow Palettes

Blending, mixing and matching colours in beautiful and dramatic ways is very important, too.

• jestmart said:

LIE make-up mask.

Layer = Any color or texture block

Mask = eyeshadow area white fading to black everywhere else

Base Layer = Diffuse texture

This is what I'm doing, except, I'm using the Diffuse Overlay for the base so there's no need to change SSS or translucency*, and I'm building the system to also support glitter effect overlays in every color, and the ability to kill gloss per each makeup mask for a matte effect.

*I know people hate diffuse overlay. I consider the benefits to outweigh the problems, and you have to be in Iray to preview glitter and matte effects anyway.

Morana said:

I guess it's hard to visualize since eyeshadow comes in an infinite number shades. I can't even tell you just how many different purple, plum, lilac, etc., shadows I have.  How will it handle nudes, beiges, taupes, etc. in the idea of something like what the Urban Decay Naked palettes offer?

Willing to bet I have every shade in the Naked palettes now, and most of the rest of their stuff, aside from duochrome and huge glitter which is really hard to replicate in ubershader.

There isn't going to be a huge amount of blending capability in the actual makeup I'm working on now, it's a fairly simple "puppy style" liner and shadow set, but it's a prototype for making sure the system works (and so far it's working very well). I've always thought there aren't enough makeup options separate from characters, and characters are almost always released with baked makeup instead of overlay options. I think one of the reasons for this is that it's a whole new level of work to setup makeup overlays, especially doing a lot of color options the standard way where every makeup option is its own image and you have to render a thumbnail and create a preset for every single one. So what you get is a lot of characters with five eyeshadows and five lipsticks, and that's it.

So what I am doing is building a framework for more easily creating eye makeup. Someone will be able to paint a mask in the shape that they want, save a standard and inverted version (for different effects), download the framework, rename the base folder to their makeup preset and use a batch text editor to add their mask file paths into the presets. After that they'll have to render one thumbnail preview, and they'll have their setup with 221 base colors, 221 glitter colors, and utilities. I've tested it last night and the process is extremely short to setup new makeup, leaving people free to focus on actually creating their liner, shadow, shadow highlights, crease options, tightliner, inner highlight, tribal paint, what have you. This is why I'm asking more for what shades people would want to see rather than styles.

It works like this:

And you can keep stacking layers. This could easily have been base->crease->lid->liner->inner highlight.

nude.png
    674 x 976 - 41K
    Untitled1.png
    300 x 1200 - 677K
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Plum. Olives.Coppers....

• j cadej cade Posts: 2,310

I love diffuse overlay! It's more accurate to how realworldTM makeup works *and* generally uses less maps *and* you don't have to worry about those maps not being applied to the ears and eating up extra vram space.

I get the complaint with it not being visible in the viewport, but everything else about it is better imo

• j cade said:

I love diffuse overlay! It's more accurate to how realworldTM makeup works *and* generally uses less maps *and* you don't have to worry about those maps not being applied to the ears and eating up extra vram space.

I get the complaint with it not being visible in the viewport, but everything else about it is better imo

DAZ could also add support for showing diffuse overlay in the OpenGL viewport in the future so it may eventually get addressed.

• ChangelingChickChangelingChick Posts: 3,040
    edited October 2017

DAZ could also add support for showing diffuse overlay in the OpenGL viewport in the future so it may eventually get addressed.

This is not a DS thing. The same thing happens when using masks for materials in Poser. It's an OpenGL thing. One of the ways DS tries to compensate for that is the Iray Preview and secondary viewport which can give you a 3DL preview. Several years ago I'd set up a skin material in Poser with 12 mask layers to add various shadows, liners, blush, etc to skin, but, like in DS, it only shows when rendered. This is one of the reason I like the .tip icons in DS-- they're 256x256 instead of the regular 91's, and you can get a better look at what it's going to look like without resorting to one of those preview windows.

Edit: I also love diffuse overlay :D Hated it at first, but now I love it :D

Post edited by ChangelingChick on
  • Please could you add the capability of a transition shade, the colour that goes from the lid and blends up towards the brow. If we could choose our own that would be awesome.

how does this work with dark skinned models? And I mean really dark.

i love that you can add a glitter or matte finish, can to make them really glossy like wet look?

and also I personally like how real world palettes are sold as a colour collection with a theme. But maybe what you are doing works better for 3D.

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,822
    Karuki said:

I'm curious about this, as well. One of the things that's tricky is that colors can need to be more intense for darker skin, to show up at all, but if you're going for a one-size-fits-all approach, that can make them look incredibly garish on lighter skin. Will there be some way to set things up and then alter the intensity?

This sounds like it will be a really interesting product.

• Karuki said:

Please could you add the capability of a transition shade, the colour that goes from the lid and blends up towards the brow. If we could choose our own that would be awesome.

I was not going to as the actual makeup I am working on is just a test run for the entire concept right now, but as a compromise I will also try to do a nice western style cat eye with base, brow crease, lid, inner eye light and liner.

Karuki said:

i love that you can add a glitter or matte finish, can to make them really glossy like wet look?

I will look into adding this. It seems like something I can do with Top Coat easily enough, I just have to make sure this is not a channel used by the majority of G8 skins (I don't think it is).

Karuki said:

and also I personally like how real world palettes are sold as a colour collection with a theme. But maybe what you are doing works better for 3D.

Right now I have it set up with the different hues grouped together under the different intensities because that's how I would like to see things set up when I build a custom palette. But I can create some themed palettes as well.

vwrangler said:
    Karuki said:

I'm curious about this, as well. One of the things that's tricky is that colors can need to be more intense for darker skin, to show up at all, but if you're going for a one-size-fits-all approach, that can make them look incredibly garish on lighter skin.

I can't say for sure. I am trying as much as I can to build a color set that works with dark skins as well as light skins because getting makeup that plays nice with dark skins tends to be a problem and this occurrs through the DAZ world as well. This is why all my colors range from light to just a shade above black and the intensities range from pastel to just below pure saturation. The nudes were all inspired by makeup looks I browsed through (except chocolate, that's actual dark chocolate), and copper, gold, bronze, and rosewood were all looks on dark skinned women so I imagine at the very least those will still play nicely.

However I have pale cool toned skin and my girlfriend has kind of medium neutral toned skin so I have blind spots matching makeup to dark, olive, or warm toned skin.

vwrangler said:

Will there be some way to set things up and then alter the intensity?

It would have to be done by going into the LIE and changing the color if you wanted to change it after the fact. However almost every hue comes in a wide range of lightness and saturation, and I can add the ability to apply colors at partial opacity if that is something that would be useful.

Plum. Olives.Coppers....

Yes! I will add some of these. Especially olive which is my favorite color, I'm not sure how I missed it.

• sapatsapat Posts: 1,735
    AllenArt said:

I use JCPicker for sampling colors of real things all the time. Most useful little program I have in my arsenal ;).

Laurie

Very similar to what I've used for many years....Color Cop. 

http://colorcop.net/